Star Wars: A Splintered Galaxy

Started by Conundrum, October 17, 2021, 04:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Conundrum

I am looking to start a Star Wars game using the FFG Star Wars system.  I do not plan to stick strictly to any canon.  It would be set pre-Revan.  Player character options will be pretty open, force sensitives and even jedi or sith are allowed.  Players will start at knight level.

The premise is that the campaign is set in the Old Republic, before regions such as the Outer Rim had been well explored by the Republic.  The Republic is significantly smaller than it will reach at it's height.  The Sith Empire exists openly and in opposition to the Republic.  Around and between them are smaller but still potent neutral entities such as the Hutts.

The Sith Empire and The Galactic Republic are at war, but for the moment are effectively in a cease fire.  The war has been ongoing for over 20 years now.

The conflict rose to open violence when the Sith struck the Republic at the behest of a small cadre of worlds attempting to secede.  The Republic was rife with discontent but militarily ready.  Neither side managed to gather much momentum and the conflict ground on.  Large fleet actions caused small breakthroughs but never anything either side could exploit.  Casualties and expenses mounted.  Rebellions were launched on worlds of lesser control overthrowing Republic or Sith appointed governments.  Worlds secede and sign independent peace deals to remove themselves from the active conflict.

Both states have now shrunk considerably and both have withdrawn to around their most important worlds forming small cores of control and power as they view for influence among the breakaway states.  Pirates and petty warlords now run rampant as the criminal underworld grows in power daily.  Both the Jedi and the Sith have faced a great lose of numbers as sects pop up and break away.  Pacifist, individualist, and isolationist ideologies are increasingly common.  The Sith have lost so many of their number that the mundane arms of the government are now de facto equals to the Sith Religious Order.  In the Republic the senate boasts far more members in theory than in practice.  Many worlds have followed Corellia's example.  They will sit in on senate sessions but will only vote to abstain and provide no taxes or resources to the Republic, instead dedicating assets to building up local forces.

Players will start in the galactic east on the edge of growing Hutt Kajidic influence.  Players will be in debt or otherwise currently influenced by a local criminal enterprise.
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Korosa

I'd be interested! Don't have a ton of in-depth Star Wars knowledge, but I do have one of the books. I'd be interested in playing a criminal-type character, as well, so this suits me perfectly--maybe a smuggler or mercenary type.
Request Thread

(These are a little out of date, but still probably fine?)
O/Os

A/As

WhatLiesAbove

Conundrum

Quote from: Korosa on October 18, 2021, 03:11:05 PM
I'd be interested! Don't have a ton of in-depth Star Wars knowledge, but I do have one of the books. I'd be interested in playing a criminal-type character, as well, so this suits me perfectly--maybe a smuggler or mercenary type.
Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on October 18, 2021, 05:28:50 PM
I'm in!

Do either of you have any questions currently or anything you feel you would need before making a character?
If I have not responded to a post in 4 days, send me a PM as I may have missed it.

Blackjack

*Gingerly throws my hat in*

I haven't played a decent tabletop game in a while so consider me more than willing to play too! More than happy with being part of the not so glamourous aspect of the Star Wars galaxy as well.

Just as an addendum, I was imagining some sort of soldier type from the Jedi-Sith conflict who has moved into scummy pilot for hire or backdoor hacker/slicer type up to his eyeballs in debt. Sort of a blend of Han Solo and Atton Rand you know?

WhatLiesAbove

Quote from: Conundrum on October 18, 2021, 06:44:20 PM
Do either of you have any questions currently or anything you feel you would need before making a character?

The way it’s set up, I’m guessing there will be no chance to be a Force-user?

pdragon

would we be starting at level 1 or use the Knight level start to be more established?
What a thrill...with silence and darkness through the night....

Request Thread

Korosa

I'm thinking I'll make a Technician Droid (Outlaw Tech specialization) for my character. No specific questions at the moment.
Request Thread

(These are a little out of date, but still probably fine?)
O/Os

A/As

Muse

Hm, I see new people.  This is not my system, but if you need an extra player for the game to make, drop me a line.  Mostly I just wanted to wave and wish you good luck. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Conundrum

Quote from: Blackjack on October 18, 2021, 07:16:44 PM
*Gingerly throws my hat in*

I haven't played a decent tabletop game in a while so consider me more than willing to play too! More than happy with being part of the not so glamourous aspect of the Star Wars galaxy as well.

Just as an addendum, I was imagining some sort of soldier type from the Jedi-Sith conflict who has moved into scummy pilot for hire or backdoor hacker/slicer type up to his eyeballs in debt. Sort of a blend of Han Solo and Atton Rand you know?

That can work, and with a drug out war and dwindling resources I see a couple ways to go about that.  Like a lack of resources leading to forces illegally scrounging up goods.

Quote from: WhatLiesAbove on October 18, 2021, 07:44:19 PM
The way it’s set up, I’m guessing there will be no chance to be a Force-user?

Force users are allowed.  Jedi and Sith are splintering seeing individuals and groups break off, and there are smaller less established organizations.

Quote from: pdragon on October 18, 2021, 07:49:37 PM
would we be starting at level 1 or use the Knight level start to be more established?

Good question I forgot about.  Given the opportunity for full on jedi who have left the order I will say knight level.  I will add that to my first post.

For those who do not know, knight level means players get an additional 150 exp that is spent after normal character creation, so it cannot be spent on characteristics, and 9,000 additional credits or a lightsaber.

Hexed

Given the setting is there anything you're going to limit or refuse in regards to gear or races? I know star wars tech is pretty stagnant and doesn't change but one never knows and FFG star wars never did a old republic book far as I know.

Need to see if I can find my books dealing with the sith.

pdragon

Cool. I'm thinking about making a force user who never got picked up by the Jedi or Sith and instead works as an enforcer/cleaner for the Hutts (or whichever gang the group's working for).

Request Thread

WhatLiesAbove

I'll likely pick up a Jedi who has separated from the Order. Likely a reclusive Knight who helps people here and there in the Outer Rims, since the thinking is that neither the Empire or the Republic are of any help.

Conundrum

Quote from: Hexed on October 19, 2021, 05:12:02 AM
Given the setting is there anything you're going to limit or refuse in regards to gear or races? I know star wars tech is pretty stagnant and doesn't change but one never knows and FFG star wars never did a old republic book far as I know.

Need to see if I can find my books dealing with the sith.

Not currently.  Everything I can think of can be at least refluffed.  If you find something you are unsure of let me know.

TheGlyphstone

Seeing at least two other people applying to be force users or Jedi of some kind makes me hesitant to offer a third, but I've always wanted to play a Hutt force user, combining the altruism of the Jedi teachings with the legendarily innate Hutt racial superiority complex and seeing what sort of weirdly self-centered form of noblesse oblige pops out. It's very hard to justify in a typical game because the Jedi Order would never accept a Hutt Padawan even if one was allowed to leave Nal Hutta in the first place, but this seems like the perfect sort of premise where it might find a home?

Hexed

Watching a hutt trying to flee anywhere is going to be hilarious. And just found an article on Beldorion. I hadn't realized the mostly force immune hutt's could be jedi. but offer what you want as no guarantee that everyone's getting in.

Quote from: Conundrum on October 20, 2021, 12:04:42 AM
Not currently.  Everything I can think of can be at least refluffed.  If you find something you are unsure of let me know.

Kayokay. Got another question for you. Are we using Morality, Obligation, or Duty? Or is it based on starting career?

Pumpkin Seeds

Sounds like Obligation will be used based on the premise.  Also would a gunslinger be acceptable?

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Hexed on October 20, 2021, 05:16:05 AM
Watching a hutt trying to flee anywhere is going to be hilarious. And just found an article on Beldorion. I hadn't realized the mostly force immune hutt's could be jedi. but offer what you want as no guarantee that everyone's getting in.

Kayokay. Got another question for you. Are we using Morality, Obligation, or Duty? Or is it based on starting career?

Yeah, force sensitive Hutt are super rare, Beldorion is the only one I can name offhand and he was a Dark force user. I figure that's where any Hutt with force powers ends up eventually but its the journey and the struggle that are interesting. Will see what the GM thinks first.

Pumpkin Seeds

Might have to bring out my attitude driven bored rich girl.

Conundrum

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on October 20, 2021, 01:09:47 AM
Seeing at least two other people applying to be force users or Jedi of some kind makes me hesitant to offer a third, but I've always wanted to play a Hutt force user, combining the altruism of the Jedi teachings with the legendarily innate Hutt racial superiority complex and seeing what sort of weirdly self-centered form of noblesse oblige pops out. It's very hard to justify in a typical game because the Jedi Order would never accept a Hutt Padawan even if one was allowed to leave Nal Hutta in the first place, but this seems like the perfect sort of premise where it might find a home?
Sure, a hutt force user is allowed.

Quote from: Hexed on October 20, 2021, 05:16:05 AM

We are using obligation.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on October 20, 2021, 01:14:45 PM
Sounds like Obligation will be used based on the premise.  Also would a gunslinger be acceptable?

A gunslinger will be fine.

Captain Whitebread

Are you full or do you have room for one more?
There are nights when the wolves are silent and it the moon that howls.

TheGlyphstone

Pretty sure there are already more applicants than player slots, so it couldn't hurt to join them...

Hexed

Quote from: Conundrum on October 20, 2021, 08:18:22 PM
We are using obligation.

Will do. Debt n betrayal here I cone.

Now to figure out lightsaber n crummy gear or good gear n lesser weapon. Gonna try sword n board sith I think. Be interesting to see how it goes dealing with any of the jedi

TheGlyphstone

Okay, here's a workup.
Shado Vosadii Gremgo

I'm not going to try and write a novel's worth of backstory, but Shado is/was a member of a smaller clan, but one whose vaults contained a number of valuable artifacts including a functioning Holocron. He learned from it in secret, concealing his Force sensitivity from other Hutts who might consider him a threat, but when his clan was attacked and all but wiped out by a stronger rival clan, he grabbed some old weapons from the vault and fled to avoid being killed/enslaved. His Obligation likely takes the form of a Favor to whichever crime lord or syndicate has sheltered him.

His personal attitude towards the Force and other beings is a blurred mesh between Hutt arrogance and Jedi altruism. There is no question in his mind that he is simply superior to most other life forms, being not just a Hutt but one who can wield the Force as well. But in an odd interpretation of noblesse oblige, it's his duty to wield that power on behalf of the unfortunate weaker creatures who can't defend themselves properly. Any normal Jedi would be appalled, and consider him well on the path to the Dark Side. Any Sith would be disgusted, and think him a weak simpleton. But they're not Hutt, so who cares?

Characteristics:
Brawn 3
Agility 1
Intelligence 2
Cunning 3
Willpower 3
Presence 2

Skills:
Athletics 1
Coercion 2
Cool 1
Knowledge (Underworld) 1
Lightsabers 2
Streetwise 1

Force Rating: 2
Career: Warrior
Specialization: Aggressor

Talents:
Intimidating 2 (Suffer up to 2 strain, reduce/increase difficulty of Coercion checks)
Fearsome 2 (Trigger a Difficulty 2 Fear check when Engaging an enemy)
Grit 1 (+1 Strain Threshold)
Terrify (Hard-3 Coercion check to disorient enemies within range)  (CONFLICT)
Force Rating +1

Force Powers:
Enhance Basic Power (Athletics)
Control (Force Leap)
Control (Vertical Leap)
Range (Far Leap)
Control (Fast Leap)
Control (Enhance Resilience)
Control (Enhance Brawl)

Obligation: Duty ?? (+5)

Equipment:
Lightsaber Pike
Cortosis Shield

10,500 Total Credits
220 Total Experience

pdragon

Alright, here's my first draft for a character

Caitris

extra

Name: Caitris
Race: Human
Force Rating: 2
Career: Jedi
Specialization: Padawan, Nightsister (universal)
Character Sheet

Caitris was a force sensitive child who went unnoticed by both the Jedi and Sith. Orphaned at an early age, she first became aware of her abilities when she was 5, and spent years slowly learning and experimenting with them on her own without the aid of a mentor. Originally she used these skills to survive on the streets, mostly to steal and pick pocket from afar, until one of her more brazen acts caught the attention of a local crime syndicate. While initially tempted to simply sell her off as a slave, knowing a force user would go for a good price, their boss decided to make her a long term investment instead. Caitris was taken into the organization and trained how to fight and carry out jobs for them as an enforcer. Whether it was protection, intimidation, collections, assassination, or cleaning up crime scenes, her powers allowed her to excel at almost any task given to her, making her a highly valuable asset to the family. Her obligation is Dutybound, as she is fiercely loyal to her boss and the organization.

Caitris's view of the Force is very simplistic. While she understands what the Force is, and a general gist of the higher concepts behind it, she doesn't subscribe to any kind of deep philosophy regarding it. To her the Force is simply a power, her power, one that she's worked hard to develop all on her own. It is no different from someone who has trained their arms to lift heavy weights, or their legs to run fast. In her mind assigning any sort of deeper grandeur to it, or crediting her gifts to the "will" of the Force, discredits her own hard work and ability, and so she scoffs at the very idea of it.

Characteristics:
Brawn 3
Agility 2
Intelligence 2
Cunning 2
Willpower 3
Presence 2

Talents:
Quickdraw
Well Rounded
Sense Danger
Force Rating +1
Summon Item
Ichor Blade
Improved Ichor Blade

Force Powers:
Sense
- Control 1- Defense
- Duration
- Strength
Move
- Range x2
- Strength
- Control 1- Throw
- Control 2- Pull
- Control 3- Fine Motor Control

Obligation: Dutybound

Equipment:
Vibro Rapier
Holographic Costume
WSW Mk III "Harrier" Combat Remote Droid

9,500 Total Credits
270 Total Experience

Request Thread