News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Election Thread

Started by Stattick, September 26, 2012, 01:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lux12

Does anyone know if Florida's votes are finally in yet?It seems like they've been taking forever.

Lux12

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on November 10, 2012, 09:39:52 PM
http://election2012.npr.org/bigboard/president.html?utm_source=NPR&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=20121106

It went 50 to 49.1 for Obama at 12:50 Wednesday morning.

They didn't seem to have them in on Wednesday when I checked.We already knew who was going to win by then, but it was just kind of irritating waiting for that one state to get  all the votes in.

Oniya

I saw it on my Yahoo feed around 11 AM Eastern.  (It's the weekend, don't judge me! ;) )
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lux12

Callie Del Noire

Funny. Last I heard down here, we were still waiting on Miami-Dade. That was yesterday after I got out of Skyfall.   

LunarSage

Wow.  Florida residents must be pissed that their votes essentially really didn't matter either way due to how long it's taken them to count the freaking ballots.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: LunarSage on November 11, 2012, 07:04:43 AM
Wow.  Florida residents must be pissed that their votes essentially really didn't matter either way due to how long it's taken them to count the freaking ballots.

We are fairly used to it. Miami-Dade seems to constantly be a fuck up in these issues. I can't say it's ALL their fault. Duval, where I vote, came down to absentee and probationary ballots I think as they were being tabulated as late as Friday.

Lux12

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 11, 2012, 07:25:07 AM
We are fairly used to it. Miami-Dade seems to constantly be a fuck up in these issues. I can't say it's ALL their fault. Duval, where I vote, came down to absentee and probationary ballots I think as they were being tabulated as late as Friday.
So the sort of incident that occurred during this election is common?Yikes I feel sorry for Florida.

Oniya

To be fair, it was probably because of the high flip-flopping in Florida that it was marked 'undecided' until now.  Some states were 'declared' with a fairly low percentage of the votes in.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on November 11, 2012, 04:13:09 PM
To be fair, it was probably because of the high flip-flopping in Florida that it was marked 'undecided' until now.  Some states were 'declared' with a fairly low percentage of the votes in.

They finally called for the Preseident.. BUT after 2000.. and 04 and 08.. do you blame them for saying dick till they had EVERYTHING counted?

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 11, 2012, 05:53:36 PM
They finally called for the Preseident.. BUT after 2000.. and 04 and 08.. do you blame them for saying dick till they had EVERYTHING counted?

Not in the slightest, but years from now I'll probably have an X-ray of my hands that shows teeth-marks on the bones.  ;D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on November 11, 2012, 07:30:03 PM
Not in the slightest, but years from now I'll probably have an X-ray of my hands that shows teeth-marks on the bones.  ;D

There was no need.. the President had 303 electoral votes without it.. with FL he had like 330.. only last 30 from last election.. if I recall right

Oniya

Yes, but until about 11 PM Eastern, when California declared, it was still very close.  Florida and Virginia kept me on pins and needles for a good part of the evening.

LunarSage

Quote from: Oniya on November 11, 2012, 08:31:28 PM
Yes, but until about 11 PM Eastern, when California declared, it was still very close.  Florida and Virginia kept me on pins and needles for a good part of the evening.

As for Virginia, for awhile there I was sure that we were going to be a Romney state, when in fact we were the only southern state (if you don't count Florida) that wasn't.

▫  A.A  ▫  O.O  ▫  Find & Seek   ▫ 

Oniya

Virginia had at least declared before I finally went to bed.  ;D

Lux12

Quote from: Skynet on November 11, 2012, 08:51:09 PM
I honestly thought that the election would go well into 4 or 5 am, but at 11 pm Eastern time it wrapped up.  I was surprised by how early it ended.
So was I.They were describing this election like this event that not only be close, but long, drawn out, exhaustive, and some news sources were fairly certain it could be a tie. I was rather shocked.I was even more shocked by how long it took for Florida to get it's votes in.Of course we've addressed that already.

Marikir

All hail Nate Silver, the man who predicted the electoral results from each state, 50 out of 50.

Stattick

Quote from: Marikir on November 12, 2012, 12:45:00 AM
All hail Nate Silver, the man who predicted the electoral results from each state, 50 out of 50.

No, that's not correct. He predicted one congressional race wrong. And last election, he called one of the swing states wrong for president. See... he only has like a 99.5% rate of being right, there's no reason to deify him.

Ok, I've got nothing. I'll get my coat.
O/O   A/A

Vekseid

He got Montana and North Dakota wrong for the senate. That the Democrats won North Dakota was a pretty big upset (though the state does tend to be somewhat bluer than its southern partner).

Lux12

Quote from: Vekseid on November 12, 2012, 08:48:23 AM
He got Montana and North Dakota wrong for the senate. That the Democrats won North Dakota was a pretty big upset (though the state does tend to be somewhat bluer than its southern partner).

That seems to be the case in a lot of states for some reason.I mean, I live in a state where the southern half is significantly more conservative than the northern half.

sirtree

Florida was a fun place during the election heheh you guys should have seen the yard sign battles in my area regardless I knew it would be close in fl but I still expected Obama to win not that it matters as he won quite a few other swing states. Any way obama had a better campaign so.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: sirtree on November 12, 2012, 12:34:17 PM
Florida was a fun place during the election heheh you guys should have seen the yard sign battles in my area regardless I knew it would be close in fl but I still expected Obama to win not that it matters as he won quite a few other swing states. Any way obama had a better campaign so.

I hated the robocalls. Getting Rimney, Ryan, Huckabee and the 'strippers for Mitt' day in and day out was annoying

sirtree

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 12, 2012, 12:37:03 PM
I hated the robocalls. Getting Rimney, Ryan, Huckabee and the 'strippers for Mitt' day in and day out was annoying

Yes this is so true when you pick up the phone and you hear that Obama is the devil from a robot..... It is well a good test of how patient you are heheh.