Buffy the Vampire Slayer style roleplay; Background and interest check

Started by consortium11, March 24, 2013, 12:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

consortium11

Sorry to hear that Snorkle. I'm sure between us we could throw in some character ideas out if you wanted inspiration.

That said, the nature of a story like this means there's always going to be the opportunity to play new characters, either as permanent additions or more "one-offs".

In fact...

If you're struggling to come up with a single character but would like the opportunity to take part in the RP anyway, how about becoming a sort of "floating" poster... that's to say you could handle some characters that either I'd play or would be NPC's? For example, if say a story included an ancient witch who wished to transfer her mind into Ashleigh's body but would disappear at the end of that part story (and would generally be played by me), would you be interested in playing that? And then if the next story required another "NPC" character to do certain things would you be interested in playing that. A sort of "co-gm" role playing certain major NPC's?

Jefepato

Work in progress here, I mostly wanted to get the basics down while I sort it out.  Let me know if there are any issues.  (She's not meant to be as dangerous as, say, a Slayer, but the contrast between "quiet nerd who is okay at fighting" and "furry death machine" is too hilarious to ditch.)

Name: Emily Hartwell
Date of Birth: January 16, 1994
Place of Birth:
Known Relatives: Kara Hartwell (mother), Steve Priceton (absentee father and general douchebag)

Height: 5'4"
Weight: 110 lbs
Hair: Dark brunette
Eyes: Brown
Usual Style/Clothes: Emily doesn't usually care for bright colors.  She doesn't tend to show much skin or otherwise be immodest (in her own mind), and since she just doesn't care to spend a lot on clothes, she wears jeans and a casual-looking blouse a lot.
Appearance: Emily is a young Caucasian lady, a bit on the short side, with longish brown hair and matching eyes.  She's pretty enough, at least when she smiles, but tends to be reserved and have trouble meeting people's gazes directly.  She prefers to dress modestly, and although her fashion sense actually isn't too bad, her outfits can be a bit hit or miss since a fair number of her clothes are secondhand or just kind of old.

Powers (if applicable): Werewolf.  Apparently because the ability is hereditary, Emily has a much easier time controlling the change than an infected werewolf.  Her dislike of her ability makes her less effective than she should be, but sharp claws and superhuman physical prowess forgive many sins.

Personality: Massive bookworm, usually quiet.  She's reasonably friendly if someone can actually get her talking, but she's nervous around people she doesn't know and not very good at confrontation, especially since she fears to let herself seriously get angry.
Favorite Quote: "I was trying to be nice, but I guess that's not an option."
Quirks: Emily has a terrible habit of hunting rabbits or something to save money on meals.  It works for her, but it's not doing her socialization any favors, especially now that she has enough financial breathing room to eat with friends like a normal, sane person.
Hobbies: Reading.  Chess.  Running through forests at night.  Emily is a better scrapper than you'd expect from a small-framed girl (being poor gets people to pick on you a lot) but she's not exactly a kung fu master and has no formal training.
History: Emily's parents divorced when she was only three years old, whereupon she moved with her mother (Kara Hartwell, a criminal defense attorney) to the pleasant town of Fairview.  She grew up knowing very little about her father, since her mother never liked to talk about him -- only that he was apparently abusive and dangerous and possibly even on the run from the cops or something.  Actually receiving any child support payments owed was pretty much out of the question, and Fairview's rather low rate of solved crimes left Kara with less time and money to raise her daughter than she would have liked.

It isn't that Emily's mother didn't love her, but a part of Kara must have resented having to raise Emily by herself, not to mention having her as a perpetual reminder of bad times in the past.  Things only got worse shortly after Emily's 13th birthday, when she found herself sprouting fur and howling at the moon.  It didn't take too long for the panicking Emily to get control of herself -- evidently, being born a werewolf made mastering the change easy enough -- but even as her mother tried to comfort her, Kara's disgust was obvious.  She still wasn't interested in talking, although Emily did manage to confirm that her furry little problem was something she'd inherited from her father.

Fortunately, Emily made it to college on a full scholarship, which is good since that's the only way she'd have had a chance to go.  A part of her still hates and fears her abilities, but she hates and fears getting snacked on by vampires even more.  She is now a sophomore, and it's working out pretty well.  She hopes.

kckolbe

Name: Eric Caulfield
Date of Birth: September 8th, 1984
Place of Birth: Atlanta, Georgia
Known Relatives: None

Height: 6'1"
Weight: 185
Hair: Brown
Eyes: Green
Usual Style/Clothes: Button down shirt with tie, dark jeans
Appearance: He has a wiry build, with large, veiny forearms that rival his smaller biceps.  When dressed for battle, he generally wears a loose, long sleeved shirt, and underneath he wears a small, hard shoulder pad to absorb some of the impact from shouldering into someone, or running himself into a wall with his opponent. He also wears a reinforced fingerless glove on his left hand, leaving his right hand bare.

Powers (if applicable): Wields a cross with surprising authority.  Has a decent knowledge of world history and a fairly significant knowledge of religious and vampire lore.  He also has some ability with communications devices and brawling.

Personality: Eric is an unhappy man.  His fiancee left him after his return from Europe, stating that he wasn't the same man.  He has progressed from being an atheist into being an avid enemy of the Catholic Church.  While he no longer believes that the Church is responsible for making up stories of vampires, he does believe that modern vampires are the result of experiments conducted by the Catholic Church during the Dark Ages.  He is slightly obsessed with Scarlett and it would be difficult to guess how far he'd go to get her.  Even though she irritates him constantly and part of him knows that they aren't right for each other, she is the first woman to make him feel special, and hands down the hottest woman he has ever felt he had a chance with.
Favorite Quote: "Chances are, you are always being watched.  Be glad that this time it was me."
Quirks: Is obsessed with Scarlett.
Hobbies: He studies, sulks, drinks, and masturbates, or he spies on Scarlett

History: Eric was born to a rather affluent family, his father a radar engineer for Lockheed Martin, one of the primary Department of Defense contractors.  He took an interest in history before long, particularly ancient myths.  By the time he finished junior high he knew all of the Greek myths, and he continued on to Norse and Egyptian in high school.  He attended the University of Georgia and focused on history and world religions, eventually pursuing a degree in Sociocultural Anthropology.  By 24 he'd earned his Master's degree, continuing to focus on the role of religions throughout history and narrowing that to the Middle Ages.  Shortly after graduation, he had a book published on the transitions from pagan cultures into modern day Catholicism.  Eric was recognized by the academic community, and his publisher gave him a significant advance for his next book, in which he promised to link the Catholic Church to vampire myths.

Eric had decided his second book would focus on the myths regarding vampires, given their current presence in American pop culture, and a tour of several European and southwest Asian countries was arranged.  He started in Iran, as Persian pottery was the first known record of vampiric depictions.  He then went on to many other countries, discovering several other ancient tales about them.  As he'd hoped, he found a significant lack of records leading up to the 12th century, when they first appeared in Hungary.  Thus far his findings supported his theory that the Catholic church had revived the fears of vampires in order to gain power, and he began investigating sites of attacks and old churches, learning many of the myths surrounding his new topic.  He found scrolls, paintings, stories, and vampires.  The attack killed his tour guide and one other, and Eric barely survived, though many of his notes were left behind.  He had to leave Hungary due to pressure from the host government after having even more of his materials confiscated, and his publisher was devastated when Eric told him he would not be writing the book as planned, though he did not give the real reason why.

He was forced to pay back some of the advance on the second book, and his second book, which remained on the topic of vampires, was not a success.  Though his decision to not say that vampires were real prevented him from losing credibility, he instead was deemed guilty of publishing a book too uninteresting to discuss.  He returned to the University of Georgia as a history professor at a significantly lower salary than he could have had two years ago, and met Alexis (Scarlett's Watcher) shortly after.  Over the course of a relationship with Alexis, he unknowingly became an assistant Watcher to Scarlett, though he knew nothing of the goings-on for some time.  It was during this time that some misread signs from Scarlett, wo whom he was very attracted, led to a bit of an obsession with her, one that was enabled due to her need for the information he had on vampires.  When Alexis died a little under a year ago, Eric received a letter written before her death, explaining what the Slayer was and asking him to take over as her Watcher.  Scarlett, he'd learned, had moved to Fairview, and Eric realized that this was his chance to get her back in his life.  He recently arranged a job instructing at Fairview University, and has begun seeking Scarlett out, though he has yet to approach her.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

consortium11

I think we're in a perfect position to start!

Game Thread
OOC Thread
Character and Background information

I should stress that the Character/Background thread is a work in progress; when Jefepato is happy with Emily I'll edit the changes in there, the locations are a guide as opposed to a definitive list of places (I intend to add more as the story develops) and please don't feel restricted to them alone or not use locations of your own invention.

Jefepato

So, um, do I need a picture?  What is the present date?

Also, feedback wouldn't hurt.  I don't ask much but I'm not sure of details, and I think I need to fill some things in.

kckolbe

I was waiting until you'd finished to ask questions/comment.  Given that her father's actions left her biased against werewolves, how does she feel about men in general?  Are you having trouble finding a certain type of image?
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

consortium11

Quote from: Jefepato on March 26, 2013, 10:48:46 AM
So, um, do I need a picture?  What is the present date?

You don't need a picture but people often find them useful - if you give us some idea what you're looking for I'm sure we could pitch in if you're struggling to find one.

Date is basically present day.

Quote from: Jefepato on March 26, 2013, 10:48:46 AMAlso, feedback wouldn't hurt.  I don't ask much but I'm not sure of details, and I think I need to fill some things in.

Character seems fine to me - was there anything in particular you wanted to develop/explore?

Darwishi

Jefepato

Quote from: kckolbe on March 26, 2013, 10:52:52 AM
I was waiting until you'd finished to ask questions/comment.  Given that her father's actions left her biased against werewolves, how does she feel about men in general?  Are you having trouble finding a certain type of image?
I didn't hit Google yet.  I doubt finding an image will be a big issue but I didn't get around to it.  Also I don't really want to (seriously I don't care about pictures) but it seems to be how things are done here.  It's a bit new to me.

She has no problem with men in general.  If I left the impression that that was a thing that could happen, please advise and I'll revise.  I was tired and my computer needs restarting a lot, is all the issues involved.

kckolbe

Not your fault, just covering bases.  Wasn't sure how her father's influence factored in there.

Intro Thread

consortium11

A picture certainly isn't a necessity; if you'd prefer to do a text description then that's just as good.

And as the owner of a laptop which overheats and automatically shuts down at least a couple of times a day I certainly feel your pain there!

Eislynn

Quote from: consortium11 on March 24, 2013, 12:52:20 PM
Really looking for a female character who is attracted to late 20's/early 30's males and would be interested in being the storyline ex-girlfriend of kckolbe's character Eric (rough profile for him which needs a couple of minor changes here). Outside of that the character is entirely up to you.

I'm still reading through the thread, but wanted to submit my interest while the iron is hot. Is this still under consideration? I could be convinced to come up with something - I'm a sucker for Edward Norton ;). Incidentally I was in that slayer game (among others) with kckolbe - I was disappointed it didn't go very far...

kckolbe

I know, that game had so much potential.  Definitely still interested in having someone interested.  He wouldn't be available for romance right away, as he is starting the game obsessed with Scarlett (who is not interested), but would love to see your char concept.

Intro Thread

consortium11

Hopefully we can steal/borrow/liberate/insert term here the potential the other game had for this one  :-)

I think kckolbe's set out his character's situationabove (although he's been de-aged somewhat). The more the merrier with regards to characters...

kckolbe

Well, his background has been worked out, but he is still too old for Scarlett.  I don't see anything consensual happening between them.  I de-aged him since PhDs take longer than I'd thought, and 32 was a bit old to just have a Master's, so I compromised.

Intro Thread

Eislynn

No problem - It'll be quite an interesting dynamic. I'm assuming I'd be playing the ex Fiancee you mention in his bio? Once I catch up on reading everything I'll start on a character profile.

kckolbe

I was actually thinking your char would be someone that *hasn't* rejected him in some way, perhaps help him pick up some self-esteem down the road.

Intro Thread

consortium11

*I may have briefly mis-read 1984 as 1994*  :P

As I understand the situation there have been some changes to Eric's background since that first draft bio; his ex was actually the Slayer's Watcher and is now deceased, so you'd most likely be looking at a fresh character.

kckolbe

His bio references an ex before Scarlett's Watcher as well, but I think Ruby is interested in playing that.  Still coordinating in PMs.  The main reason I hadn't wanted Katida to play the ex was that I wanted the only player whose char might be interested in him to not have already given him a shot and decided against him.

Intro Thread

consortium11

I actually typed out that there could be a previous ex and then deleted it... should have the courage of my convictions!

Looking forward to what you work out.

Eislynn

On second thought, my workload is going to be pretty scattered in the coming weeks. It's probably best if I stand down now before I make the mistake of biting off more RPs than I can chew.  (Again, LOL)

consortium11

Sorry to hear that Katida. I'd love to have you if real life allows it.

Eislynn

Ok ok. I was officially kept awake by the prospect of this game. I know I've made a wishy-washy first impression, but my muse insisted I give this a try.

@consortium would you allow an ensouled vampire? If the answer is yes, I'll pm you some more details after work this afternoon.

consortium11

In principle yes but I'd be careful of ending up too similar to character from the show.

Interested to see what you have in mind.

Eislynn

Great! I think you'll be pleased. I should be able to get that pm over to you after my shift ends in 6 hours.