Ladies of the stars - Space Opera RPG (Now Recruiting Female Players Only)

Started by Ada, September 07, 2014, 10:48:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ada

Currently accepting female players only, sorry to the males that expressed interest, but this is our little, "Girls Night Out."

Through circumstances that are varied, we've all managed to find ourselves on a small cargo ship. She's fast, she's quiet, good for smuggling, but she's not entirely reliable.

We're looking for a crew for this beauty. Her name's Beauty! Isn't she beautiful? We'll take her from one end of this galaxy to the other and see what trouble we can get into along the way.

It's 3500 years from today, thousands of worlds have been colonized and humans have found that so far they are alone in the galaxy. Still, post-humans are everywhere with enhancements and drawbacks that come with genetic tailoring, selective breeding and other fun mutation experiments! Some post-humans have their own cultures and are just as alien as anything you might see in a space opera, but some are like you and me, only with minor tweaks and perkier tits. Come join the crew!

History:

Initial human colonization came in the form of generation ships but true colonization began in earnest after a breakthrough in faster-than-light technology (FTL). This breakthrough involved the use of four-dimensional physics in something called a Tesseract Array Engine.

As human colonies expanded, they broke away to form their own governments, initially acting as independent, quietly cohabiting worlds that would trade peacefully. As humans became more comfortable in space, they soon found methods to control and manipulate other worlds and soon coalitions and small empires formed, fell and reformed. At present, the known galaxy is dominated by The Galactic Empire. The Galactic Empire is a grandiose term for a collection of systems that spans only about 6,000 systems in the outer spiral arm of the galaxy. The Empire is, however, almost religiously expansionist and with its ambitions, it will certainly try to live up to its name.

The Empire itself is a little like the British Empire of old, controlling some puppet governments, directly controlling other colonies. It imposes trade standards and rules through the power of its fleet and the skill of its admirals. Many of their colonies have a civilian government, police force, and many will be allowed to maintain an armed militia. All worlds within the Empire have an Imperial Bureaucracy Office within the capital city. Many will also have an Imperial garrison. The Imperial Space Navy and Imperial Space Marines draw their troops from nearly all worlds within the Empire. Volunteers and/or conscripts are sent for training to one of the worlds that is owned and run by the Navy for the Navy, They will never be posted back to their home world.

The Imperial Police have broad jurisdiction but are meant to be applied as a task force for major crimes that threaten the Empire directly. They have an office on most worlds and will investigate citizens at all levels of society under the authority of Imperial Security.

Many worlds exist outside of The Galactic Empire's sphere of influence, although they still claim jurisdiction over worlds they do not yet directly control. On the fringes of the Empire are nearly 2,500 worlds that govern themselves entirely independently and resist attempts to undermine their autonomy. Some of these worlds form small coalitions but no world or coalition has enough resources or coordination to withstand the sway of The Empire when they choose to turn their resources towards claiming a new world.

On the fringes of Imperial influence, one can make a living, working in the gray areas of the law. It's here we find Beauty slipping her way through the void, picking up hot cargo and delivering it where it needs to go. She's got a reputation for having a colorful crew but she gets the job done.

Currently accepting applications for female characters from female players only.

So the basic idea is a sexy but "realistic" crew of a freighter/smuggling ship in a space opera type setting. It's a small crew who works together to solve problems, socializes, visits exotic places and gets into trouble. It's free-form RP with an active GM who also happens to be the ship's gunner. Submit your characters and let's get up to some spacey antics.

Crew so far:

Other possible crew positions:
  • First Mate
  • Sciencey Type Person
  • Engineer's Mate
  • Pastry Chef (Okay, maybe not)

Most major roles are filled but if there's a role not on the list, feel free to pitch it anyway. We should double up on some roles anyhow. Things that might cause concern in your application are:

• Characters that are overly good at a lot of things.
  • Characters that don't have a lot of flaws or their flaws are limited to the flaws of most outlaws (short temper, doesn't like authority, yes we're all like that, what else do you have?).
  • A lot of typos and grammatical errors (we're not perfect, but show that you're trying by making a good first impression).
  • Overly shy/quiet characters. This can severely limit your interactions with your crew mates. It's not a deal breaker, shy/quiet characters are cool on TV maybe, but more difficult to RP in a collaborative environment.

Things that will earn you brownie points in your application:

• Flaws that will limit what they're good at, example: You're a crack shot with a revolver, but any other handgun just doesn't feel right in your hand.
  • Using the writing prompts in the character sheet to grow your character concept. It's a red flag if your character doesn't miss or admire anyone. Paint a picture and let your character breathe a little.
I'm still taking suggestions on plots and themes we'd like to explore. We'll be focusing on fun and adventure, a little drama and of course, smut! This is meant to be light-hearted but that's not to say some parts couldn't get serious or dark on occasion.

---

The Rules (OOC)

• Be nice: I don't like mean people.
  • Be attentive: Read the posts people make. They put effort into them. They put hooks in them. Respond nicely and in kind.
  • Be here: If you're going to be absent, try to let us know. If you can't post once every few days, please don't make a fuss if you get skipped in a scene.
  • Be awesome: Write! Have fun! Make friends! Use exclamation points when you're excited!

Sample character sheet below. Feel free to deviate if you'd like to. Simple answers are fine, unless otherwise noted, but try to use some of these prompts as chances to flesh out your character and ask yourself questions about them. Please write at least 3-4 paragraphs, more is encouraged but not necessary:
[float=right][img height=300]IMAGE URL[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]Specialty:[/b] (Piloting, Warp Core Theory, General Sexiness, etc.)
[b]Home Planet:[/b] Make something up, be creative, write a paragraph about it.
[b]Reason for Leaving Home:[/b]
[b]Reason You Find Yourself on a Smuggling Ship:[/b]
[b]Further Background Information:[/b]
[b]Warrants for your arrest (optional):[/b]
[b]Criminal Background (optional):[/b]
[b]I'm really good at:[/b]
[b]I'm really bad at:[/b]
[b]My favorite place:[/b]
[b]The person I miss most:[/b]
[b]The person I admire most:[/b]
[b]O/Os:[/b]Link okay.
[b]If my player drops or can not post for a while please:[/b]Your requests for what to do with your character in case we need to keep the game moving. Please also indicate if you're okay if we find someone to take over your character of if you'd prefer the character be written out.

Current Game Threads

OOC Threads:  RecruitingOOC
IC Threads:Beauty: Main Areas  Beauty: Crew Quarters  Off Ship
Ons and Offs - Story Ideas - A's and A's - Back after a long absence. If you recognize me, feel free to reach out and start something fresh with me. If not, no hard feelings.

Ada

Thanks for the interest fellas, but I'm switching gears and we're going to try to run with an all ladies crew! Sorry to disappoint and good luck in your searches.

Ladies, come aboard! Once I can confirm that we'll have enough to play, I'll post guidelines for pitching characters.
Ons and Offs - Story Ideas - A's and A's - Back after a long absence. If you recognize me, feel free to reach out and start something fresh with me. If not, no hard feelings.

Chrystal

Permission to come aboard, Cap'n?

Seeing as you have made it Girls Only, I feel honour-bound to say, I'm in!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Kadigan

I'd be interested, but would not be interested in a system based one.

Ada

That looks like one vote for no system and one vote for free online system. Fate is available free online and is a pretty easy/light system but it seems to be somewhat of an unknown around here. I'm happy to go with no system if that's fine with everyone.

Chrystal

I prefer Freeform to system as well, just saying....

As for setting, I would love it if we could make this an original setting, perhaps with blended elements of Firefly, Star Wars, Babylon 5 and other possibly less well known sci-fi?

I have a couple of options in "world Building", one is a WiP that I was planning to use elsewhere and is perhaps a little too complex. The other one is a far looser structure generally more like an overview of the universe in which to set a story. For this one it could work quite well.

The Galactic Empire

It's just a suggestion, and of course the setting is wide open to alteration, interpretation and compromise. Please take a look and tell me what you think?

I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Rel Mayer

I'm interested, but I would prefer Freeform.

I'm bookmarking this to see where it goes!

Ada

It sounds like nobody's clamoring for any rule set and people are chiming in for freeform, so we'll go with that.

Chrystal, I like where you went with your world there. It's sort of in the vein of what I was thinking. Would you mind if I built off of it and made tweaks here and there?

It looks like we have enough to make this viable. I've posted an OOC thread. Come on in!

Chrystal

Feel free. If you could post to the World-Building thread to say what changes you plan to make, please?

The reason for this is firstly so that people in this game know what is different, secondly so that anyone else wishing to utilise the background knows that they can change it and how to inform me (and their players) and thirdly so I can keep track of the idea and how it is being used.

*goes to the OOC thread*

Dhi

Ada, do you see the cast of this space opera being mostly human, or would an alien creature be appropriate to genre?

Ada

Quote from: Dhi on September 09, 2014, 10:30:12 PM
Ada, do you see the cast of this space opera being mostly human, or would an alien creature be appropriate to genre?

I think we're leaning all human at this point. I'm not opposed to aliens per se, but I'd rather get a consensus.

Chrystal

I have no issues with aliens... (as I said in the OOC).

I will happily go along with whatever everyone else wants. If we stick to humans, that is fine. If people want to play aliens, I will probably make a Mrrinka female...

Eislynn

I've been away from E... But this might be just what I need to make a comeback. I'm interested.

Nowherewoman

Quote from: Ada on September 09, 2014, 10:44:03 PM
I think we're leaning all human at this point. I'm not opposed to aliens per se, but I'd rather get a consensus.

I'd assume aliens exist, but are not extremely common in human-controlled space, humans being nasty, xenophobic bitches even amongst themselves. Wandering traders, contract labor, smugglers themselves- but few and far between, until you get closer to their racial space. Rey is, ATM, half outlier human half SOMETHING that might or might not be alien- if it's decided we're going with a dirty humie only galaxy, I'll edit the ambiguity out.

Oh, and ditzelf is ditz.  Character HERE in Recruitment, dur
Slightly edited, per request

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Name: R'heyehlee Droon

Description: VERY tall (nearly 2 meters), slender and flat-hipped but full-breasted, pale as starlight through atmo. Eyes of an almost metallic purple shade. Her unusual facial markings are nether makeup nor ink; they're actual skin coloration, inherited via her mixed and questionable parentage, and can be found down her neck and the length of her spine (assuming you ever catch her uncovered that much), and elsewhere.  She's 25 Illusk cycles in age, which converts to a bit over 19 GSY.

Off-ship, always goes bundled and hooded; she's remarkably body-shy, but it also gives her a good place to hide both her long-barreled boomer and anything useful she might 'borrow' while they're in port.

Most of the time 'Rey' (no one can really pronounce the whole thing correctly, so let's just save us all the embarrassment, huh?) is very soft-spoken, which is to say almost silent, but when she's riled one can get a graduate-level course in Curses and Imprecations in a dozen languages and patois just by stopping to listen for a bit.

Specialty: Making even the cheapest ingredients taste tolerable; 'federalizing' supplies.

Home Planet: Illlusk Node 3- not a planet, but a roughneck 'Boom Town' station, full of asteroid miners, grifters, whores, thieves- and smugglers.

Reason for Leaving Home: Hmmm. Spend the rest of life slinging hash for drunk miners with wandering hands, or run off with a group of femmes who at least bathe once in a while. Decisions, decisions.  Well, OK, there was also the still she ran, providing 'duty free' rotgut for the miners- the Marshal was getting tired of busting it up every week or so.

Reason You Find Yourself on a Smuggling Ship: Everybody's got to eat, even smugglers. Eating decently means more than prying the edge of a can open with your slicer. Technically, she's only working her passage to anywhere far, far away from Illusk, but so far she's shown no real urge to step off, despite stopovers at decent locations.

Further Background Information: Mom was a Nillian 'good-time girl', doing debt service after her contract husband dumped her on Illusk; Da might have been a Skrill or a Trenn, or any of the compatible near-human races, for all I know. I'm betting Skrill- I've got the height and the coloring. Thank Stars I didn't get the tentacles. It's hard, on the frontier, growing up female, and different, and the daughter of a playfemme. Well, OK, I coulda stopped with 'female'. Most guys, and some of the gals, think automatically you're in the same business as your parent. Some of them get offended when you try to correct their impressions. So I learned to talk in a way they understand- language that'd weld tunnel trusses, followed up with a boomer shoved in one nostril to drive the point home.

I don't like the roughhouse; like Ma, I bruise easy, and my balance has never been right- thin ankles and big chest. And angry people give me a headache. Better to smile and say nothing and ignore them. Once in a while, though, a girl just has to get loud to be heard.

Warrants for your arrest (optional): Technically, she was under debt contract to Zar, who owned the place she left in such a hurry, splitting the debtpay with her Mother. So yeah...felony breach of contract.

Criminal Background (optional): It's only a background if you get caught, and she's always been smart enough to 'borrow' things that could easily have been honestly mislaid, or used up. So far.

I'm really good at: Cooking, swearing, dancing (not in public, nononono.), picking stuff up unnoticed.

I'm really bad at: Any kind of  physical violence, no singing voice, can't hold liquor at all, not a great shot, if it's not a stove, keep tech away from me.

My favorite place: Anywhere with open space and a view of the sky. Growing up in tunnels, having only the tiniest views of the Outside, cramps the breath and the brain. Ship life isn't a lot better, but at least not everywhere they stop off is just a bunch of holes in the ground.

The person I miss most: I suppose the 'right' answer is my Mother, but I'd be lying. At least until I was old enough to start bringing cash in, I was just an inconvenient little accident to her. There was one of the miners, this squat little femme from a high-G world, everyone just called Stony. She'd worked her way from scrabbler to shift boss to pit boss, mostly by being even meaner and tougher than the guys around her. I envied her confidence. Every time she came into Zar's place, I knew there'd be no trouble that night- she didn't like having her drinking interrupted by 'poor behavior.'

The person I admire most: This time, I'd have to say Ma. Don't get me wrong- we don't like each other much. But she's a survivor, and has better people skills than I ever will. She was a kid when she got dumped on Illusk, younger than me, and has made a name and a place for herself.  Just not one I want any part of.

O/Os:https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=54379
Instead of obsessing on the person you want to be, focus on who you DON'T want to be. It's much easier to not do certain things than to break your head on some ideal of yourself.

When the dust settles, you may find out you've become who you were supposed to be all along.

more me here now!  (O/Os, ideas and junk): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=215830.0

and mea culpas  (A/As): https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=221151.0

Chrystal

Okies, here we go....

The Ship's Engineer

Name: Mimi Vanderloof

Description: Mimi is 21 years old, stands at 156 cm tall and weighs in at 46 kg. She thus takes up hardly any space and doesn't require much fuel to move her mass. She is slim built and not exactly buxom. Mimi enjoys the company of women over that of men. Technically she is a virgin, although she has used various toys in the past she has never had sex with a human before joining the Beauty. She is quiet, shy, and unassuming, she is more han happy to let others make the important decisions, while she concentrates on keeping things working. In her spare time she enjoys a good read, or taking part in a slushy romance "Total Immersion Entertainment".

She has several enhancements, the most noticeable being her cranial sensors, which enable her to link directly to almost any system she has been granted access to. Using these sensors she is able to manipulate the systems directly, using hand gestures that to a watcher might seem random in mid air, but to Mimi, they are made within a virtual holographic display that is projected into the air around her where only she can see it.

Her hair is a rich chestnut brown, her eyes are hazel with gold flecks, and her skin is a creamy olive colour.

Specialty: Keeping things working, fixing things that don't work, generally keeping the ship moving and keeping everyone alive. Mimi is something of a Jill-Of-All-Trades when it comes to ship-board engineering. She doesn't claim to know how things work, but she almost invariably knows why they don't work. She's also very good with her hands...

Home Planet: Mimi was born on Ralf Haynes' World. Ralf Haynes was a self-styled adventurer gazillionaire from the early days of man's venture to the stars. He set out to found his own world. He had a colony ship built, loaded it with two hundred beautiful women and nineteen handsome men and set off. He found his world, and colonised it. Sadly for Ralf, he was crippled in an accident shortly after he arrived, and never go to enjoy his personal harem of ten beautiful women.

After his death, RHW was opened up to general colonisation by the Earth's military who simply landed, took over and declared the world to be open.

Mimi is a pure-bred Haynian, however, descended from sixteen of the original colonists, and has the swirled tattoo pattern on her right arm that marks her as such. These tattoos are a code giving details of her genealogy to anyone able to read them. Pure-breds are becoming much rarer now on RHW, as the younger generations cannot see any point in staying within the enclave that the original colonists established. A certain amount of in-breeding has already occurred within the enclave. Fortunately Mimi has escaped it in her genes (mostly), but with only nineteen original males it is becoming harder and harder to find someone you are not related to!

Reason for Leaving Home: Well that probably has simething to do with being raised to be a Haynesist. The Pure Bred Haynians have a strict religious code that dictates all women must be mated to at least three pure haynian males by the time they are 21 years of age. Plus Mimi found she had a way with machinery that, in the Haynian Enclave, would only be permitted for a man.

Reason You Find Yourself on a Smuggling Ship: Mimi stowed away. The ship's lock was open and the guard was distracted and she sort-of walked on and hid. Of course she was found almost straight away, but where she hid, in the engineering section, she had made herself busy and had already fixed two of the three major malfunctions that the ship was suffering. As her only request was that they didn't kill her, but would take her off this horrible chauvanistic world, and in exchange she would fix anything that needed fixing, she ended up as the the ship's engineer.

Further Background Information: Mimi doesn't really talk much about her past. She tends to be quite shy around strangers, but if you put her in a room full of machinery she becomes the most extrovert person there is! Since joining Beauty, she has managed to have implants made to enable herself to interface directly with ship systems. These do not really enhance her ability to fix things, but do give her the ability to diagnose things before they need fixing - she is something of a Savant, in that she knows what to do without really understanding what she is doing. The implants help with that in that they give her the knowledge she has not been able to acquire through education.

While her implants enable her to link directly to ship systems, she can only link to one system at a time, and she is blind, deaf and insensitive to the real world while so interfaced.

Warrants for your arrest (optional): RHW has a warrant for Mimi's arrest, for resisting her rightful husband, assault on her rightful husband, Criminal Damage to Enclave property, Theft of Enclave Property, Leaving the Enclave without a permit. While this warrant is only servable on RHW by Enclave security, there is an additional warrant for assault on a spaceport security official, entering the space port illegally, willful damage to spaceport property and arson. This second warrant is valid throughout the Empire.

Criminal Background (optional): Basically the charges in the warrants... She was given in marriage by her father to a man three times her age, who tried to take her to his bed. She hit him over the head with a glass ornament, breaking it, and escaped, stealing some cash from him in the process. (Also, according to The Enclave, stealing the clothing she was wearing, and technically stealing herself!) She made her way to the spaceport, and in order to get in, walked bold as brass up to a security guard and kneed him in the groin, then hit him on the head with a rock. She then found the nearest most disreputable looking ship she could see and made for it, before realising that the femaleguarding the ramp simply wan't going to fall for any of her tricks. So instead she found a cargo crane and re-wired it, making it catch fire, setting light to a nearby warehouse.

I'm really good at: Fixing things, making things work, keeping things working. Anything mechanical, electrical or electronic, including the ship's stardrive.

I'm really bad at: Dealing with people, negociating, cooking, dancing, singing, saying no.

My favorite place: The ship's engine room.

The person I miss most: My kid sister, Lemi

The person I admire most: A female rock musician called Kamadra Soo

O/Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=74306.0

If my player drops or can not post for a while please: the GM(s) is/are welcome to take over my character if I am away temporarily or suffering muse-death. If I leave the game they may do with Mimi whatever they desire.

Eislynn

EDIT: Approved Character sheet:

Eislea Azurqin, Pilot

Name: Eislea Azurqin (eyes-lee-ah as-yor-kin)

Description: Age 26 in the standardized earth calendar. Long blonde hair frames a pale complexion and piercing doe eyes that hide intense intelligence. Her blue eyes resemble shards of shattered ice. It really is too bad she suffers from 'resting bitch face'. She has just enough meat on her bones to give her some appealing curves. Despite her litheness, she's stronger than she looks.

Specialty: TAE (Tesseract Array Engine) and SLP (Standard Linear Propulsion) Pilot.

Home Planet: The planet Cilroue is colloquially known as the jewel of the Tannhauser Pulsar System, located in the furthest reaches of civilized space. Roughly the size of Mercury and boasting only one 'civilized' city, which encompasses nearly one eighth of available landmass on the planet. Cildria City's main export is education, being founded as a University a few hundred years ago by Cil of the Order of Mystic Mathematicians and Other Seekers of the Ineffable Flame. Some find do it odd how closely this scientific order resembles a religion, but that's not a pertinent historical fact. The Order wrested control of the planet from the native gypsy-like race.

There is evidence to suggest that the native humans on Cilroue are in fact descendants of a colonizing ship that went missing nearly a thousand years ago. Cut off from civilization, out of necessity they returned to primitive living for hundreds of years until no trace of rembrance of the original ship's mission remained. Despite this, the natives are looked down upon by the Cildrians. As any civilization is wont to do with a native species in any land they were subjugated. Any 'primals' that coexist with the genteel peoples of Cildria City within the city walls do so as slaves.

Further Background Information: Pilot Demetrius Azurquin was a decorated hero and well respected member of Cildrian high society. As Eislea's father, he instilled a strict sense of discipline in her from the start. From a very young age, she had proved adept at speaking the universal language of mathematics. Though he was cool and analytical, she loved her father and shared in his interest in the art and science of piloting. Her mother Saffria on the other hand was a prima-donna, more interested in her husband's money than her daughter. In fact, it was apparent over the years that she downright HATED Eislea. The only warmth she had known had come from the family slave, her nanny Kaelith. Her fondest memories, other than being lost in a clever math problem, were of the stories Kaelith told of the wild world beyond the city wall. It was on her sixteenth birthday, the day she finalized her enrollment in the University that her true heritage came to light. The woman who had abused and tormented her for so many years was not her real mother at all.

Saffria must have grown weary of perpetuating the lie and must have reasoned that if her husband's disgrace came to light, she might yet protect her interests from her husband's bastard child - She was particularly skilled at causing torment. Kaelith was deported back to the wilds and that was the last Eislea ever saw of her beloved mother. Her university enrollment was not withdrawn due to the plethora of favors called in by Pilot Azurquin, and her innate skill. She had to prove herself over and over again, tested much more harshly than her 'pure blood' classmates, but time and time again, she was found worthy even at this unfair higher standard. She had to grow a thick skin to deal with all the abuse, (Physical and Mental) she received from her classmates. To this day, she harbors much resentment about her treatment at the hands of small minded bigots. She stuggles with a sense that she always has something to prove to everyone.

After graduating, she had hope that things would improve, but she returned home to ever more disaster. Saffria was waiting with a gift for her that night. Eislea had to watch the woman shoot her father in the back, knowing that the half breed bastard child, and not the high society lady, would be the one to blame.

Reason for Leaving Home: The trial was swift, and far too neat and tidy. For Eislea the only alternative to public execution for slaying a beloved hero was to flee.

Reason You Find Yourself on a Smuggling Ship: Not many reputable ships will employ someone like Eislea even with her impeccable skill. What started out as passage across the galaxy soon turned into such employment when the Beauty's old pilot was killed. She demonstrated her skills and got the ship out of the resulting danger, and the Captain gave her the job in exchange for a payment on the rare occasions that money wasn't tight. She took the job, rationalizing that a moving target would be harder to find.

Warrants (optional): The Order has placed a substantial bounty on a live return to face public execution.

Criminal Background (optional): Though the murder is most likely fabricated, she takes full credit for all the evading and resisting arrest.

Talents: Extreme discipline in daily meditation. Exhibits a stoic calmness in reference to her piloting duties. Takes pride in appearing collected. Able to interface with a TAE leap drive in record time.

Flaws: Easily rattled by the sound of gunfire. She's pretty high strung and always has something to prove. Doesn't take failure in mundane tasks very well, and gets very frustrated any time she doesn't get something right even if it's the first time she's ever tried. Then she gets upset with herself for that, and it's a vicious cycle of anger and guilt until she finally gets a chance to meditate again. Sometimes suffers from traumatic nightmares. Afraid to ask others for help.   

Favorite Place: The serene sensory bubble of the manifold interface where no thoughts exist but pure mathematics.

Person Most Missed: Kaelith, her real mother. Perhaps someday she can return to the wilds of Cilroue to search for her.

Most Admired Role Model: "My father was a hero and an exceptional pilot." Her words sound as if it has taken years of practice to say this without losing composure.     

O/Os: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=28095

If my player drops or can not post for a while please: There are plenty of ways to write the pilot away for a while and most of these should be fine - However I always prefer a PM first. If hell freezes and I don't respond to that within 24 hours, then go 'write' ahead and drop her from the story for a while in such a way that I might be able to rejoin someday. 

Chrystal

"A few thousand years ago"?

Just a small query, when exactly are we setting this? Most space opera sci-fi is set in the 3rd millennium or the 4th at most. Meaning that "a few thousand years ago" humanity was still chucking rocks at each other...

Not meaning to be picky, just wanting to check.

Eislynn

Quote from: Chrystal on September 11, 2014, 04:23:41 AM
Just a small query, when exactly are we setting this? Most space opera sci-fi is set in the 3rd millennium or the 4th at most. Meaning that "a few thousand years ago" humanity was still chucking rocks at each other...

This has always been a bit of a point of chagrin for me. I've always felt that initial galactic expansion would a very long time, as would the establishment of grand cities and massive civilizations. If planets are to become more than just minor colonies, and moreover inhabited by humans, this is something that could take many millennia. Remember how back to the future said hover cars and hover boards would be ubiquitous by now? I feel we always underestimate the speed of innovation in our science fiction.

That said, if the consensus is that my projection is too far into the future, I'll be happy to modify that to 'a few hundred years.'  I stand by my logic but I understand the need to make adjustments to aid the willing suspension of disbelief by others.

Chrystal

I agree in principal...

However, given that faster-than-light travel is technically impossible anyway, the discovery of it could happen at any point in time. Expansion to the stars via slower-than-light would/will take centuries of objective time, but once we have the ability to travel between stars the way we now travel between countries, that expansion will be much faster - look at the USA as a classic example. It took 200 years from the initial discovery in the 15th century for any sizeable colony to be Established, and then a further hundred years for any westward expansion to get under way, but once that westward expansion got under way, the entire country was colonised within about 50 years...

The idea that technological expansion is linear is of course a falacy. In fact it is more-or-less random.

For thousands of years mankind used animal drawn carts to travel (or walked), killed each other with pointy sticks, cooked meat over an open fire, communicated by shouting and left sick people to die.

Within the last three hundred years we have gone from bows and arrows to smart bombs and nuclear warheads, from horse drawn carriages to supersonic aircraft and space travel, from open fires to microwave ovens,  from carrier pigeons to mobile telephones, from leaches and amputations to neurosurgery and bionic limbs...

We have gone through various technological "revolutions", starting with the discovery of steam, then electricity, the internal combustion engine, radio, antibiotics, antisepsis, plumbing, oil, natural gas, the valve, the transistor, the silicone chip...

The next big revolution (which has already started and which I predicted twenty years ago, although I can't prove that statement) is the biotech revolution. They have already created the first true cyborg, they have implanted computer chips in people's brains...

Who knows... in a thousand more years we may not even need space ships to travel from world to world, we might be able to teleport ourselves around, just by thinking about it...

Ada

So in regards to timeline, what gives us plenty of time to get out into the stars, colonize worlds and for those colonies to grow into mature worlds in their own right with billions of people and for those worlds to make colonies of their own. Tacking on a little extra time for the growth and creation of the post-human species we talked about and the cultures that might exist around them.

Maybe for a long time, there were limits about the technology we were using that were self-imposed. Maybe once those limits were lifted or once post-humans became more prevalent, the pace of innovation increased again.

Whatever year we pick, it relies on a lot of assumptions about space travel, technology, sociology, suitability of planets to colonize and a bunch of other stuff I'm probably not thinking of. I think it's a little silly to try and worry too much about it, though I don't mind the thought exercises you two are putting each other through.

Does 3500 years sound like a good middle ground?

Eislynn

Chrystal, you said it yourself, technological expansion is more or less random. I feel that technology can move in a backwards direction as well due to many unforeseeable circumstances. So I don't feel that either of our stances will ever be the only valid one.

However, as much as I enjoy a good debate, these points are now moot, and I will gracefully concede to the GM's ruling:

Quote from: Ada on September 11, 2014, 11:09:34 AM

I'm fine with it. Official ruling is official. :) Ada, I've sent you my proposed changes to my character and eagerly await your response.

Chrystal

Quote from: Katida desu on September 11, 2014, 04:42:59 PM
Chrystal, you said it yourself, technological expansion is more or less random. I feel that technology can move in a backwards direction as well due to many unforeseeable circumstances. So I don't feel that either of our stances will ever be the only valid one.

However, as much as I enjoy a good debate, these points are now moot, and I will gracefully concede to the GM's ruling:

Quote from: Ada on September 11, 2014, 11:09:34 AM

I'm fine with it. Official ruling is official. :) Ada, I've sent you my proposed changes to my character and eagerly await your response.

*chuckles* Sorry, I too enjoy a good debate - You should have seen the PMs that were shooting back and forth between myself and someone else about space craft weaponry!

And I tagree completely that technology does indeed move backwards - Look at the Ancient Egyptians and the Romans, their technology was lost when their empires collapsed and when the oil runs out in 2010 our civilisation will collapse too... (Uh wait, sorry, that was supposed to happen after the flying car was invented...)

And yes I am fine with 3500 CE too - of course that would be the year 641 ARH to Mimi.

Ada

It looks like we have the start of a solid crew. I'm in no hurry to get under way, I want to have a good crew in place, but I don't want to keep people waiting either. I'd still like someone else to app a Captain and probably at least one other before we get started. Also, thanks to everyone so far for helping to collaborate on this and for working with me on your characters.

Dhi

I don't think my character concept would be a good fit after all with the aesthetic and inspirations I'm seeing. Sorry to be a tease!