Amber and the Courts of Chaos -- Interest Check!

Started by doodasaurus, January 15, 2013, 09:35:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doodasaurus

I've never run anything on E before, though I have run play-by-post games in the past, so while I might be rough around the edges I believe I have a good fundamental core.

I am looking to run an Amber game, based on the novels of Roger Zelzany, using either the diceless RPG, a homemade minimalistic rules set I designed specifically for online play or freeform, as fit the interests of the players.  If using the DRPG, I would tell everyone beforehand my feelings about the various abilities one could get in the game so we'd all be on the same sheet of music.

The story would take place after the end of the Corwin novels and before the beginning of the Merlin novels.  Do not expect anything from the Merlin novels to occur, however!  Players could play both Amberites and the characters from the Courts of Chaos . . . or potentially other places if you can convince me (which is usually not very hard).

The game would focus heavily on the political end of things with bouts of hyperviolence.  There will be a large cast of NPCs to use as rivals, enemies, lovers, etc., in addition to the normal connections between player characters.  As a GM, I most certainly believe in consequences but I try to keep them non-fatal because I also enjoy a stable cast, and it's easy to do in Amber games because the characters are so durable.

Anyway, I'm testing the waters, here!  If you're interested, please say so!  If I get enough interest, I will proceed.

Caehlim

I had just finished writing "Not looking for new games" in my on/offs and then I see the word AMBER peering seductively out of the group roleplays forum onto the main page and squealed like the Roger Zelazny fanboy that I am.

Consider me incredibly interested.

Edit: Okay, I already have a character concept to run past you. Random's son, secretly raised away from Amber, who never expected to amount to much or play a role in Amber's politics. Now that his father has been given the Jewel of Judgement by the unicorn and named king of Amber, his carefree existence may not be possible any more.
My home is not a place, it is people.
View my Ons and Offs page.

View my (new)Apologies and Absences thread or my Ideas thread.

doodasaurus

At first glance, I've certainly have no problem with a son of Random.  Heck, I don't mind if he's older than Martin if you really want to mix it up.  ;)

Caehlim

That would be fun.

Of course as much as some people might think of him as a possible heir, Nine Princes in Amber showed how much the royal line of succession is worth and with Random of all people being given the throne it's a matter for debate and possible civil war how much primogeniture plays into it anymore.

This game will make me very happy if it gets off the ground.

doodasaurus

Yes, it is VERY much open to debate how much primogeniture applies.  Yep.  I totally agree.  I am sure everyone involved with engage in reasoned debate about the future of the crown without ego or the least bit of self-interest.  *nods sagely*

Clearly I hope it gets off the ground, too.  It would be nice.

Caehlim

"Of course -I- don't want the throne. But if, like my father, I'm called to that solemn duty by a suitably timed (or arranged) omen, I would reluctantly agree for the good of Amber and her people."

:P

Anyway, I'm off to bed. Hopefully I'll wake up and find this thread full of other interested people.

dragonsen

I actually own the Amber DRPG rulebook AND Shadowknight. It's been nearly 20 years since I've played though. How often would you want players to post?
Knowledge is the gathering of useless information - Arthvr Dragonsen
Discord: arthvrdragonsen
My Ons & Offs - My Plot Requests - My E AppKnown Absences - Story Lottery Profile - Stories

doodasaurus

If I was able to get it off the ground, I suppose that would depend on how frequently the players wanted to post.

dragonsen

Quote from: doodasaurus on March 05, 2013, 11:18:51 AM
If I was able to get it off the ground, I suppose that would depend on how frequently the players wanted to post.
That is always the most difficult thing is getting a game started. Perhaps we could just start creating characters and see what happens?
My Ons & Offs - My Plot Requests - My E AppKnown Absences - Story Lottery Profile - Stories

kckolbe

Been years since I read the books, and have never played the RPG.  I really want to play the diceless, though, since it seems really interesting, and different types of system games interest me.  Would love to be a part of this.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

AmberStarfire

BenedictWolfe

I'm tentatively interested, but I'll wait to see what the turn out is like. I do own the original Amber Diceless RPG manual (only cost me $140 for a used copy, way back when!).

I have a few ideas, but what is your stance on a son of Finndo?

doodasaurus

Honestly, when I started this thread and there weren't a lot of responses immediately, I mostly just assumed I'd never get the requisite interest.  Before I start to do anything, though, I'm in the middle of a real nasty cold that I need to get over.  So let me do that and I'll be revisiting all of this.

I doubt I'll have any problems at all with a son of Finndo, though.  ;D

AmberStarfire

No probs, doodasaurus. :)

I haven't decided yet who my character could be descended from. Julian maybe.

kckolbe

I'd figured that this wasn't going to happen, so am surprised to hear back.  I am actually at a training course right now, but in less than 3 weeks I will be back.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

AmberStarfire

As I've just read the books (and political intrigue is 'my thing'), I'd be happy to help co-GM it. While RPOL would be my preference (I've never played in a group game here), here is an option.

I just figured I'd offer.

dragonsen

I've never read the books to be honest. However, I can read fairly quickly so I can get them read in a short amount of time if needed. I do have both the Original Rulebook and the Expansion book.
Quote from: BenedictWolfe on March 12, 2013, 02:38:25 PM
I'm tentatively interested, but I'll wait to see what the turn out is like. I do own the original Amber Diceless RPG manual (only cost me $140 for a used copy, way back when!).
Sorry Benedict, I paid just $25 each for them new way back when. :)

Anyway, I can read those again to refresh myself on the universe. Hey, I can even post a pdf of the character sheets if everyone wants that. I can also throw up the short descriptions if needed for each of the traits and such.

kckolbe

While RPOL is a solid site, I would prefer here.  As for help with the rules, I own a pdf of it, but wouldn't mind some explanation as we go along.  I think that the bid process is pretty cool.

Intro Thread

AmberStarfire

I'm not familiar with the RPG books/their system, but rather it's the Corwin books I know well.

Dood, if you run it, would you be looking to use the Amber system or run it as freeform/with another system?

Caehlim

Quote from: AmberStarfire on March 13, 2013, 02:50:05 PM
I'm not familiar with the RPG books/their system, but rather it's the Corwin books I know well.

Dood, if you run it, would you be looking to use the Amber system or run it as freeform/with another system?

The Amber system is largely freeform already.

dragonsen

Quote from: Caehlim on March 14, 2013, 05:36:51 AM
The Amber system is largely freeform already.

Quite true. I was able to play it in the middle of Stats class in high school. We had a game going for entire semester before the teacher caught on.