Various .dlls broken

Started by Outsider, December 16, 2012, 11:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outsider

Hey. After the windows update end november, my PC suddenly shut down and upon restart, my wow64.dll apparently was corrupted. In simple terms, this dll makes all the 32bit stuff work. I tried various repairs and system restore points, nothing working. I worked with sfc /scannow and the command prompt stopped at 32% and abored the repair/scan.
I eventually came across downloading a new wow64.dll from the windows page, which led to my system working again. Via tuneup and registry cleaner I made quick work of many of the now broken registry entries. I even could repair some of the other broken .dlls via sfc scannow, which then worked, but it still tells me there are irreparable files and directs me to the logfile.

Now comes my problem: I can't open the log file (Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log) to see exactly what is broken. Access denied. It doesn't give me the option to open it with administrator rights, and when I try to open it via command prompt with administrator rights, it does tell me the same.

Few .dll errors still flash up, such as quartz.dll which apparently is a Direct X related file. I've redownloaded the current directx and it tells me nothing is wrong in the repair prompt.

Long story short, I'm going nuts over this. Should I just re-do my system via restore discs? I know this gives me the option to keep whatever data files I have, so I assume the re-do will just reset the windows files?

Vekseid

Erm. Hopefully you did download it from a legitimate site rather than a trojan dll.

Anyway, the best thing to get is a clean installation disc of your make and version of Windows. OEM and Retail are two different versions. Get a DVD burned with it and do a repair installation. However, you will need the exact proper version or your Windows key will not work.

setphaserstofun

The later versions of Windows have a slight difference between an account that's a member of the administrator's group and the administrator account. The admin account is disabled by default, so enable it via Start>Computer>Manage>Local Users and set a password. Try logging into that account and viewing the log file that way.

Otherwise nothing can beat a clean install. If you do a repair, it *should* keep all your files but I would always always always do a backup of data you can't afford to lose just in case.