Anyone remember JASC Paint Shop? Need help.

Started by Oniya, November 07, 2010, 09:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oniya

Okay - I've been using this program for probably a decade.  It does what I need it to do without getting complicated.  Recently, I opened it up and the paint toolbox didn't appear.  I've hit the Show/Hide toolbox button, checked in the INI file, and see nothing to explain why it's not there.  While I do own the installation disk, finding it might be an issue after this much time, and the number of moves intervening.  (There's also a distinct possibility it's on a floppy, which would be problematic.)

Anything short of a D&R that anyone can suggest?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zeitgeist

I have the same program installed, perhaps not the same version (7.04) but I might be able to help. Just trying to figure out which tool bar if is you're not seeing...

I presume you've looked here...view/tool bars, right?

Oniya

I have a much older version (3.11, before they were bought out by Corel)  It would be the tool palette, where you can select pen, pencil, chalk, charcoal, color eraser, undo eraser, that sort of thing. 
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Zeitgeist

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2010, 12:51:31 PM
I have a much older version (3.11, before they were bought out by Corel)  It would be the tool palette, where you can select pen, pencil, chalk, charcoal, color eraser, undo eraser, that sort of thing.

Yeah, I have the last Jasc version before Corel bought them up. I actually did tech support for them, ironically.

Not sure if the name of the tool bar was different in that version vs. mine, but mine is called 'Tool Palette'

Hope that helps.

Oniya

I think mine might have been just before yours then.  This is the menu I get:

(Let me tell you, getting that capture was amusing.  Had to remember which select toolbox was the real one.)

Normally, I use the four icon buttons on the main toolbar (bottom checked item) to turn the toolboxes on and off.  The Paint Toolbox is normally controlled by the paintbrush button.  It's checked, but the toolbox doesn't show.  The select toolbox is checked and does show.  The 'Tool Control Panel' is where you choose the size of your brush, opacity of your airbrush, that sort of thing, and also seems to function normally.  So does the Histogram Window.  I never bothered upgrading, because I haven't gotten into the whole 'layer' thing.  Most of my fussing around is done pixel by pixel.

Zeitgeist

Okay. It's possible the tool bar is 'off screen', that is either it's X or Y or both positions are negative. I wrote a program awhile back that resets a window's position to 0, 0 as the increased popularity of multiple desktop screens have caused people issues when moving from laptops to desktop units.

Anyhow, that won't help you here.

You mentioned you looked through the INI file? Have you tried renaming that file, and reopening the program? This may force it to recreate the file with default settings.

Oniya

Oniya

Yup :)  It launched all squished into a space that would have been huge on a display from 10 years ago (very fixable), but all the toolbars were there.  Now I can make my thermometer graph match my NaNo again ;D

MasterMischief

Quote from: Oniya on November 07, 2010, 12:51:31 PM

3.11?!  Is that the version they used on the Ark?   :P

Oniya

I like free stuff.  I don't think I should have to shell out $100+ for a new program that does stuff that I don't need, in order to do the things I do need.

MasterMischief

Oh!  I did not realize it was free.  I have been a fan since 7.04 and I actually did shell out close to $100 for X2 some years back.

Oniya

Yeah, back before Corel got it, it was shareware.