[Pathfinder] Iron Gods Adventure path

Started by Chulanowa, May 06, 2017, 01:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Argent Adonis

Okay, so after a bit of sleep and clearing my head, I've finally decided on something different from the three pitches I put up before (given as I now realise they had been born from a lack of the former).  For now, here's my concept pitch, which may undergo a little revision, but otherwise the details are more or less there:

(Click to enlarge)
Zoren
Oni-Spawn Tiefling (Monk 1)

Physical:  At the very briefest of glances, Zoren superficially appears to be a somewhat androgynous half-elf, of average height with unruly black hair, tied back in a loose tail.  Anything longer than a glance, and the details of someone touched by the lower planes becomes evident.  His skin coloration is more reddish than a normal healthy ruddy, his ears more bat-like than elven, whilst he possesses and extra set of incisors and a longer, pointed tongue.  Most noticeable are his eyes, which are like gleaming quicksilver, and all the more startling because he has
three
Trait:
Mutant Eye
, the third of which lies upon his forehead, though it is usually covered by his hair.
          Beneath the voluminous clothes he usually wears, thick patches of crimson-orange
scales
Feat:
Armour of the Pit
cover his vitals in an almost protective fashion.  He also possesses a long sleek black
tail
Alternate Racial Trait:
Prehensile Tail
ending with a tuft of wiry hair, that he usually keeps coiled around his waist.  His legs are also more like those of a hunting
predator
Alternate Racial Trait:
Fiendish Sprinter
, that gives him a distinctive tiptoeing gait.
          Whilst born male, he has began to discover the spark of oni-bloodline that grants
malleability
Spell-like Ability:
Alter Self
of form, and has been experimenting in other sexes and shapes other than his own, if only for short periods at a time.

Personality:  Zoren is frequently quiet and meditative in his presentation; his social skills and sense of self have atrophied severely due to his intense dedication to his (martial) art, which is almost all he has left to remind him of his late parents. Deep down, he is intensely passionate about a great many things, but suppresses his passions (not always successfully) in the belief that they are weaknesses that will prevent him from attaining enlightenment.
          Though generally reserved, he has a friendly disposition and places great stock upon keeping his word (though he does not expect others to do so).  The safety of children are paramount to him, as he believes all children should have a happy and stable childhood (unlike himself); threatening children (or worse, harming them) is one of the few and swiftest ways to draw his ire.  By his upbringing, he believes in respect and harmony between all things; failure to observe such would cause the decline of one or both - to this extent, he does not object to slavery, but believes the slaver has an obligation to maintain the slave's well being as they have relieve the slave of that responsibility.

History: Zoren's story begins when his parents, Yuto and Umie, as well as other members of their family fled from the oppressive reign of the Jade Regeant in Tian-Min, almost half a world away, braving the long and arduous journey across the frozen, storm-wracked wastes of the Crown of the World.  Pursued and harried by agents of the Jade Regeant, many were killed or else lost their lives in the treacherous land as they were pushed to desperation, yet Yuto and Umie managed to evade pursuit and made it to Kalsgard in the Land of the Linnorm Kings.  When Umie gave birth to their son, it was immediately obvious that something was wrong, but after the harrowing journey they had faced to get there, they chose to keep the baby.  Then, the agents of the Five Storms arrived in Kalsgard to search for survivors that might have eluded them and the family fled once again.

By the time they stopped running, they found themselves in the lands of Numeria and settled in a town named Torch; years had passed and it seemed unlikely that the agents of the Five Storms would search in a land as alien as this one.  The couple quickly made themselves useful, by helping to apply some of the finer points of Tian-Min architectural and engineering techniques to help the fledging town put up walls and buildings of worked masonry rather than crude stone.

Unfortunately, Zoren was not as mentally inclined as his parents.  His early years, as was typical for a tiefling, were marked by distrust and teasing that made him severely withdrawn, until he realised that his physique was much greater than most others his age.  Coupled, with an emergent temper, he became a bully, until his Yuto decided to school him in meditation and the discipline of a martial artist.

Whilst it could have gone wrong, with Zoren using what he learnt to increase his capacity for violence, he took to the teachings well and finally settled down, though he rarely left the house, or else practiced outside the town walls were he had relative solitude.  Idolising his parents, Zoren did his best to do them proud, though attempting to walk in the light proved challenging when the impulse of evil was in his blood.  When Zoren's parents were killed on a caravan trip to help a nearby village by a rampaging malfunctioning robot, it damaged his view that his parents could not be overcome, and promised himself to erase the stain on their names by never being overcome by such mechanical foes.

Without means to further training from his father, Zoren settled into taking over his parent's profession in town, having studied over his parent's shoulders for years.  He continued this way for years, gaining the respect his youthful indignation never could, but privately, he yearned for challenge in what he saw was an empty life.
Ons & Offs: F-List | Visual Aid (updated 09.04.17)

Argent Adonis' RP Request Thread

Chulanowa

Neat! Just an aside, tieflings in the region probably have some tie either to the Worldwound or something in Ustalav - I don't know how oni fit into that (I'm not 100% on my Golarion Fiendish ecology) but I'm sure you'll figure something out  ;D

Argent Adonis

I do have something in mind, though I just have been able to muster the will to write anymore at present.

Is there a mention somewhere of how much wealth we start with (i.e. roll or take the default?)

Edit: Is it acceptable to start at a more human-like age?  (starting in his 60's is little... well, you get the idea, lol)

Chulanowa

Quote from: Argent Adonis on May 08, 2017, 04:55:01 AM
I do have something in mind, though I just have been able to muster the will to write anymore at present.

Is there a mention somewhere of how much wealth we start with (i.e. roll or take the default?)

Edit: Is it acceptable to start at a more human-like age?  (starting in his 60's is little... well, you get the idea, lol)

Take the average gold for your class. And yeah, you can start younger

Argent Adonis

Quote from: Chulanowa on May 08, 2017, 10:02:05 AMTake the average gold for your class. And yeah, you can start younger
Woot to that!  History now completed and added.

Bibliophilia

-high-fives Argent.-  What up for non-binary bruisers with no charisma!

Argent Adonis

-high fives-

Lol, albeit non-binary for 1 minute a day at present.  And the first time I've put forward a character with such a low Cha score! (I think this is the first time it's ever been below 12)

EndofDivine

What? No androids in Iron Gods? But how am I supposed to play my law obsessed Android Paladin that's totally not Robocop? :-(

Serious question: What if none of the Iron Gods traits really fit our idea? Can I just substitute in another generic one? Or is it a mandatory thing?

Chulanowa

Quote from: EndofDivine on May 08, 2017, 02:35:20 PM
What? No androids in Iron Gods? But how am I supposed to play my law obsessed Android Paladin that's totally not Robocop? :-(

Serious question: What if none of the Iron Gods traits really fit our idea? Can I just substitute in another generic one? Or is it a mandatory thing?

Well, they help tie your character into the larget story. I think a few of them have resolution rewards as well. I'm not 100% on that though, its been a long time since I read all six books through  ;D

I'm flexible on the details - Local Ties can be anyone in town, really. Skymetal Smith could be a gift instead of something you made. And when it coems down to it, "Against the Technic League" is quick and easy, because again, The Technic League Are Dicks™.

If you really can't fit anything, you can skip the third trait and get 100 GP extra (basically like you took Skymetal Smith, sold the item, but don't get any of the side benefits.)

EndofDivine

Actually...scratch everything I said. Had a second idea pop up that's pretty cool and that fits pretty snugly into the Numerian Archaelogist background. How would you feel about a Summoner whose Eidolon is a robot she put together and constantly tinkers with? I'm thinking the Eidolon could be the Inevitable type since they have the construct traits.

Chulanowa

Re Z L

A&A

Chulanowa

That's like, literally manga  :D

Also, izzat like rule 63 Hellboy?

Re Z L

Quote from: Chulanowa on May 08, 2017, 07:49:52 PM
That's like, literally manga  :D

Also, izzat like rule 63 Hellboy?

Nope, it's this!
A&A

Rhynarion

Are we allowed to use the extra Animal Companion  / Familiar options from the AP? Namely, the Pilo!

Chulanowa

Quote from: Rhynarion on May 08, 2017, 09:33:49 PM
Are we allowed to use the extra Animal Companion  / Familiar options from the AP? Namely, the Pilo!

Sure, if you want to be a weirdo with a six-legged bright yellow marsupial porcupine!

Chulanowa

Alright so thus far, I havethe following interested parties!

Bibliophilia: Freja Bjørnhjœrþ (Fu Coldborn Skinwalker barbarian, mad Dog archetype)
Muse: A wizard!
Re Z L: A tiefling gunslinger!
kathayan: Also a gunslinger! Techslinger archetype?
Marie Reynolds: Investigator, I think?
schnookums: Barbarian, Savage Technologist archetype
Argent Adonis: Zoren (M Oni-spawn Tiefling Monk)
EndofDivine: Summoner of some kind!
Rhynarion: Something that apparently has a pet Pilo?

I'm going to leave recruitment up until next Wednesday (5/17) and then pick the four characters that will be going along with Zoren in this. Interest and submissions are still totally open, so if you want in, please, throw something in, let's see what you have!

Hexed

Figures I'd find this at work.

So question seeing as I've never had a chance to try the class.

Would an Android kineticist work or would an occultist be a better class to look at?

Chulanowa

Quote from: Hexed on May 09, 2017, 11:52:53 AM
Figures I'd find this at work.

So question seeing as I've never had a chance to try the class.

Would an Android kineticist work or would an occultist be a better class to look at?

Both classes are fine, but I'm just using the seven core races, plus it's, ratfolk, skinwalkers, and tieflings

Hexed

Hah. My bad. For some reason I thought you had been the one wondering why no one had made an android.

Muse

Mirim Forgeheart

Tenative wizard concept! 

He name is Mirim Forgeheart! 

Her story begins 18 years ago with Atrixia Campbell.  Atrixia was a lovely maiden, a dreamer, a romantic, and a storyteller.  Most oft he village lads considered her out of their leauge.  Atrixia liked to pick wildflowers and berries in the woods. 

Vorbyx Valoran--a  mighty orc--espeid her at a patch of briar roses one day and claimed her for his own.  He carried her off into the hinterlands and ravished her to his heart's content.  Poor Atrixia lived as Vorbyx's slave for 17 days. 

Renton Fireheart, a ninteen year old aprentice smith, homely and shy with a burn on his face from an accident early in his aprenticeship, dared to take up his hammer and sally into the woods in search fo the missing beauty.  For over a week he wandered aimlessly in search of her, but he was too stuborn to return home without her, and soon he was lost. 

A strange and marelous blue and white hound aproached Renton then.  Lonely for someone to talk too, he poored out his soul to the hound, lovelorn, afraid for his crush, lost, and powerless. 

The dog touched noses with him, then vansihed with a tiny flare and a thunderclap.  The dog ranged all about for a full day before returning to Renton and guiding him to the orc encampment. 

Seeing that there were too many orcs to fight alone--or even with the aid of the magical hound--Renton bellowed out a insults to the orc who stone his woman and demanded a duel for her hand. 

Vorbyx bellowed out in glee and accepted the challenge! 

Three days later, a half councious and badly wounded Renton and a lovestruck Atrixia campbel in a tatered dress stumbled home. 

Atrixia was wed to her hero five months later, but she was already heavy with Vorbyx's child. 

Renton never for a moment regreted raising Atrixia as his own.  At one point in her confused childhood, she even got her mother to confess that she was greatful to Vorbyx, for if he'd never kidnapped her she never would have learned what an incredible man Renton was, and would likely have wed some handsome and worthless cad. 

With olive green skin and raven black hair that she wears in pigtails even now that she's full grown, Mirim has a whistful beauty to her that reminds people of Atrixia in her youth.  She is strong from working the forge with her family and playing at swords with her brothers. 

The strangest thing about Mirim, though, is her phemonal intelgience.  By seventeen, she is both a journeyman smith and able to cast spells of the first circle. 

Mirim says she can see magic in the flames--from the fire in the hearth, to the ironworking fires of the forge, to the legendary purple flame that is the villages livlienhood.  Indeed, thouh Mirim seems to be studdyign evocation, the wizard Khonnir Baine can clearly identify her true art. 

Mirim is a pyromancer. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Rhynarion

Chulanowa, I am going to be playing a Skinwalker Sacred Huntmaster Inquisitor of Cayden Cailean, with the Travel (Exploration) Domain.

I'm looking to go Nightskulk, but I wanted to ask a simple question - do you parse Weasels, Ermines, Stoats, ect under Rodents for the Nightskulk SLA?

If not, would you be opposed to changing it from Speak with Animals (Rodents Only) to Speak with Animals (Mustelids only)?

I'm pretty sure within the 90th percentile and higher that neither one of those are ever going to matter, but I was kind of hoping to reflavor Nightskulk as descended from a Were-Weasel instead of Were-Rat without changing anything other than the Spell-Like if allowed. If this ends up not being fine, then I'll just be a Rat.

Bibliophilia

-squees at the idea of a were-weasel.-

Muse

Meep!  Just realized I hadn't made the link shareable.  :)
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Chulanowa

Rhynarion; My inner zoologist is kicking me, but as I don't think it'll ever come up (and if it does, that's kinda rad) I'm fine with you chittering to ferrets and the like.