What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Quote from: Tonalberry on June 25, 2011, 10:55:32 PM
I've played some of Divinity 2: Ego Draconis some, yes.  I've gotten pretty far actually, to the point where you're supposed to go and take on the enemies' flying fortresses.  It's a pretty decent game in my opinion, and being able to get it and the expansion, or secondary campaign, or whatever, for $20 sounds like a good deal to me.

Well, it's not just the expansion. The main game (Ego Draconis) also has gotten tweaks to the difficulty, graphics, etc.

Tonalberry

Yeah, I had 'acquired' a copy of The Dragon Knight Saga, and played a bit of it.  The version I've gotten the furthest in was the 360 version of Ergo Draconis.

Tonalberry

Right now, I've been playing a lot of Champions Online.  Experimenting a little, I've made a couple of Behemoths and a Soldier.  Deleted the first Behemoth because meh, his design was kind of meh.  The Behemoth I'm using now though, is pretty badass, IMO.  A frog/gecko/lizard-thing, with a robotic arm and leg, named Geckori.

Oniya

I've discovered I can knit during Gemcraft.  There's enough 'wait and watch' for me to do several stitches at a time.  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

Quote from: Hemingway on June 25, 2011, 07:46:24 PM
Also, the Cthulhu comparison falls flat on its face. If you've read Call of Cthulhu...

How?

Cthulhu is an unknowable evil whose coming signals an End of Days scenario which cannot be averted no matter how many happy thoughts and hoorahs we stuff into missiles, and has a squid for a face.

The Reapers are an unknowable evil whose coming signals an End of Days scenario which cannot be averted no matter how many happy thoughts and hoorahs we stuff into missiles, and has a squid for a face.

If your referring to the fact that Cthulhu was defeated by being punched in the tit by a boat, thats like giving Kimbo Slice a black eye as he's waking up and declaring yourself the greatest street fighter ever.

Hemingway

Quote from: Sabby on June 26, 2011, 04:38:24 AM
If your referring to the fact that Cthulhu was defeated by being punched in the tit by a boat, thats like giving Kimbo Slice a black eye as he's waking up and declaring yourself the greatest street fighter ever.

I have a hard time seeing how that invalidates the fact they did sucker punch Cthulhu and get away. I could probably think of about a thousand ways it could be done, but the first thing that comes to mind are the dying suns, used in a manner comparable to the spice in Dune. Essentially, he who can destroy a thing controls a thing, and if you can destroy stars, you essentially control the galaxy. If you have the power to destroy the galaxy, I would say you have some pretty serious leverage.

Now, I'm not saying this is definitely the solution, but it is a possibility, one that is foreshadowed in ME2 and so doesn't rely on some sort of deus ex machina, so it should please everyone.

Quote from: Wolfy on June 25, 2011, 10:59:31 PM
Well, it's not just the expansion. The main game (Ego Draconis) also has gotten tweaks to the difficulty, graphics, etc.

It's still not a very good game. Combat suffers from some pretty serious balancing issues, for one thing, especially early in the game. For me, it was a frustrating experience.

Edit: I'm playing FEAR3, and ... well, it's about what I expected. Like I've said previously, it's a good action game, it has some freaky moments, but ( to absolutely nobody's surprise ) it's nothing like the original FEAR.

I'm noticing something in the game that I also noticed in Crysis, however ( that reminds me .. I've compared those two games before. They're remarkably similar. ), and that is the silent protagonist that doesn't make sense. It works in some games, either because there's nobody to communicate with or in some rare cases because it somehow adds to the character ( Half-Life is the only example that comes to mind of a game that probably would not have been better if the protagonist had a voice ). But there are so many scenes in FEAR3 where you'd expect the Point Man to speak, and he doesn't. It's made even more grating by how vocal Fettel is. Scowling is no substitute for having a voice, and in fact he ends up seeming rather dumb most of the time.

Sabby

I see the Infamous games are making shit endings their thing.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 25, 2011, 06:42:44 PM
Mass Effect 3's plot, at least how it seems from the trailers, looks like the equivelent of Cthulhu and his minions rising from the sea to fight the military. Can you see how that may be kind of a poor choice? Reapers win. Sorry, but they just win. Even without the Citadel harvest plan, they win. Every time. They have more ships, each of which is more powerful then a fleet of ours, and they have the power to send our dead swarming us in waves and mind broken sleeper agents into every planet to sell out any pockets of survivors they end up floating to.

Why was Shepherd so focused on stopping Saren activating the Relay to Dark Space. Because Reapers. Fricken. Win. You DO NOT fight Reapers. So whats Mass Effect 3 about? Fighting Reapers.

Hurray for retard job oppurtunities in the games industry.
Oh no, Sabby. Remember, you can fight like a Krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard. 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Thats another thing. Shepherd is not Jesus. She is a bad ass, yes, but she's been seriously fanwanked. Its like Wesker and Wolverine all over again. It can make fantastic characters seem like entitled shits.

Luckily, Shepherd isn't that far gone yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up putting her up on a cross like Reaper device out of reverance this time around.

Mr Self Destruct

My guess is some heretofore undiscovered artifact/weapon/weakness that will devastate a Reaper in one shot.  Otherwise, why have your main plot be a Reaper invasion on Earth?  And I love Shepard!  He's not invincible, he's not indestructible, but he is a man in way over his head who still somehow manages to get the job done. 

Sabby

Shepherd is a woman. My theory is if I keep saying that, Bioware will realize that no one plays male Shep xD

And yeah, how else could it resolve itself? :/ I know I won't leave this alone, but I just cannot get my head around this. Mass Effect 1 had a plot that touched on all the right places for me, so I'm more upset then usual to see it go to shit.

Mr Self Destruct

My Shepard's are always male :P

But I hear what you're saying.  I felt the same when Dragon Age 2 came out.  They had changed so much and the plot didn't even involve the Grey Wardens.  I was bitterly disappointed, but I figured since I paid for it, I might as well play it.  While the game itself wasn't terrible, it was nothing compared to the first.  The same with Mass Effect 2.  Sigh.

Get off your asses, Bioware, and give us what we love!

Wyrd

Quote from: Inkidu on June 27, 2011, 06:42:49 PM
Oh no, Sabby. Remember, you can fight like a Krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard.

Good song!
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Quote from: Dark Clown on June 27, 2011, 10:03:09 PM
My Shepard's are always male :P

But I hear what you're saying.  I felt the same when Dragon Age 2 came out.  They had changed so much and the plot didn't even involve the Grey Wardens.  I was bitterly disappointed, but I figured since I paid for it, I might as well play it.  While the game itself wasn't terrible, it was nothing compared to the first.  The same with Mass Effect 2.  Sigh.

Get off your asses, Bioware, and give us what we love!

The problem is they're spread too thin. Hard to give one kid the attention it needs when ya gotta whole family to love, ya know?

Prefect Mos

@ dark clown. DA 2 felt quite a bit like they had figured out an awesome story for the rest of the serries... but needed to ret con some stuff, and introduce some concepts first.. so instead of doing it in the real game.. made the ret con and introduction its own game.

dready

Lots and lots of TF2.

I'm best at engineer in surviving (what a shocker) but I'm best at killing as a soldier. That black box: delicious like sandvich.

(i haven't found the sandvich yet, cause of this damn free account... i need money)

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 27, 2011, 08:41:48 PM
Thats another thing. Shepherd is not Jesus. She is a bad ass, yes, but she's been seriously fanwanked. Its like Wesker and Wolverine all over again. It can make fantastic characters seem like entitled shits.

Luckily, Shepherd isn't that far gone yet, but I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up putting her up on a cross like Reaper device out of reverance this time around.
And the Reapers aren't Cthulu, they're just advanced. Hell the Human Alliance fleet took out Sovereign at the cost of about ten ships, (hell technically speaking they only nabbed the Destiny Ascension... so one ship) and the Quarians have oodles, and oodles of ships, add in the fact that the Turians have the largest fleet in Citadel space and suddenly a galaxy unification idea doesn't seem so half baked. Geth, Krogan, Batarians, Salarians, Asari. There's a reason the Reapers cut galactic communication. All out war might just wipe them out instead of everybody else, but they've got no choice. It's either hit the squishy carbon-based lifeforms now or they're only going to get more unified. There is no reason to assume that all the reapers are as powerful as Sovereign either.

The theory stands though, if you can kill one, you can kill 'em all. So no, Shepard isn't Jesus, but there's a freaking reason he's a hero, and I play games as both female and male... there's nothing wrong with ManShep.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wyrd

Shep may not be Jesus.. But he is CYBER JESUS! For the new generation.
Ragtime Dandies!

Sabby

Whew... where to begin...

QuoteAnd the Reapers aren't Cthulu, they're just advanced.

Uhm... yes. They are. They are directly inspired by The Cthulhu Mythos. Soverign himself stands in for the actual Cthulhu as the one who will run off and grab his brothers when its time to throw down. He's a mind destroying space squid who induces paralyzing fear and 'cannot be understood'. Do you really need more?

QuoteHell the Human Alliance fleet took out Sovereign at the cost of about ten ships, (hell technically speaking they only nabbed the Destiny Ascension... so one ship)

Soverign was sitting on his hands >.> only reason he grabbed the Destiny Ascension was it was the biggest ship there and it was in his way. So it was a demoralizing running slam, went straight past it and went for the Citadel. Geth had his back. The only, and I do stress, ONLY reason the humans got him was because they came in at the last second when the battle was pretty much in the final stretch, and swarmed Soverign while he was still UNABLE TO FIGHT BACK and the Geth and Citadel fleet were locking horns.

Soverign could take down a good two thirds of that fleet on his own. The reason he didn't was that wasn't his goal.

Quoteand the Quarians have oodles, and oodles of ships, add in the fact that the Turians have the largest fleet in Citadel space and suddenly a galaxy unification idea doesn't seem so half baked

Okay, so we're multiplying the battle of the Citadel by a good deal here. Soverign would have taken a good chunk of those forces with him, but victory wasn't likely. Even outnumbered, he was a terrible force. But there are hundreds or thousands of others like him... even the unified Quarians, Turians, Krogans, Salarians, Humans, and the Rachni and Geth if you went that way, are still looking at a long, bloody, hopeless battle. The only difference made is they may take a dozen or so down with them.

QuoteThere's a reason the Reapers cut galactic communication

Your right, there is. It's a very simple one, one employed by machines in fiction since forever. You know what it is? You ready for this? Logic. Not fear of losses... your wiping out a galaxy. Its logical to cripple it first. The culling is organized the way it is because its damned smart and makes an unbelievably complex and messy job much more manageable.

QuoteThere is no reason to assume that all the reapers are as powerful as Sovereign either.

Not all, but they've been doing this how long? Even with the culling going smoothly, they face opposition.  Disorganized, crippled, doomed opposition, but the fact they prepared for the event of the culling plan not going ahead means they planned for the rest of that scenario. They knew there was a chance the killswitch wouldn't get pressed. They prepared for that, with Soverign. They ARE prepared for a war, because they need to be. They are machines.

QuoteThe theory stands though, if you can kill one, you can kill 'em all.

If you can gang up on one thats solving a rubiks cube and chained to a chair, then yes, you could take out another with extreme numbers on your side. Hell, snag two, or three. Sure, that one just wiped out a few dozen of your ships, and some of those were some real hard ass models. But unless you outnumber the entire Reaper population by a hundred fold, all your doing is making them cull harder next cycle.

Hemingway

Trust Sabby to have all the answers! :'D

Also: SCREW NINTENDO. I find a DS game that sounds interesting, only to discover it was never released in Europe. GOOD TIMES.

Inkidu

QuoteUhm... yes. They are. They are directly inspired by The Cthulhu Mythos. Soverign himself stands in for the actual Cthulhu as the one who will run off and grab his brothers when its time to throw down. He's a mind destroying space squid who induces paralyzing fear and 'cannot be understood'. Do you really need more?
Inspired by Cthulhu (a creature which actually has no tangible description), and being Cthulhu are two different things. One is godlike the other is highly advanced. One could argue Clarke's Law, but in a galactic civilization setting it holds a lot less water. You can't kill Cthulhu, you can kill Sovereign.

QuoteSoverign was sitting on his hands >.> only reason he grabbed the Destiny Ascension was it was the biggest ship there and it was in his way. So it was a demoralizing running slam, went straight past it and went for the Citadel. Geth had his back. The only, and I do stress, ONLY reason the humans got him was because they came in at the last second when the battle was pretty much in the final stretch, and swarmed Soverign while he was still UNABLE TO FIGHT BACK and the Geth and Citadel fleet were locking horns.
Yeah, because Shepard ruined his easy out. He had to make himself vulnerable. He was killed. It's called strategy. The only reason he ever gets the Ascension though is because Shepard allows it.

QuoteSoverign could take down a good two thirds of that fleet on his own. The reason he didn't was that wasn't his goal.
So he's just an overconfident moron who got caught with his space pants down. Yeah, maybe in an open fight, but he didn't opt for an open fight, because... he needed reinforcements. Vigil (the Ilos V.I.) says quite clearly the Reapers are vulnerable to group attack.

QuoteOkay, so we're multiplying the battle of the Citadel by a good deal here. Soverign would have taken a good chunk of those forces with him, but victory wasn't likely. Even outnumbered, he was a terrible force. But there are hundreds or thousands of others like him... even the unified Quarians, Turians, Krogans, Salarians, Humans, and the Rachni and Geth if you went that way, are still looking at a long, bloody, hopeless battle. The only difference made is they may take a dozen or so down with them.
Exactly, they fear mutually assured destruction as much as any sentient being, but they're coming anyway, because galactic civilization will only get stronger.

Your right, there is. It's a very simple one, one employed by machines in fiction since forever. You know what it is? You ready for this? Logic. Not fear of losses... your wiping out a galaxy. Its logical to cripple it first. The culling is organized the way it is because its damned smart and makes an unbelievably complex and messy job much more manageable.

Not all, but they've been doing this how long? Even with the culling going smoothly, they face opposition.  Disorganized, crippled, doomed opposition, but the fact they prepared for the event of the culling plan not going ahead means they planned for the rest of that scenario. They knew there was a chance the killswitch wouldn't get pressed. They prepared for that, with Soverign. They ARE prepared for a war, because they need to be. They are machines.[/quote]Exactly, they fear mutually assured destruction as much as any sentient being, but they're coming anyway, because galactic civilization will only get stronger. Logically they don't want to see themselves end as much as any other species. Who's going to stop the next wave of organics from finding the relays and creating galactic civilization only this time... not Reapers. So logically they have to win, and it has to not be a bloodbath. Logic dictates that (again) a sneak attack was preferable, but open war is the only means left because it only gets longer and longer odds as it goes on.

Plus, the Reapers are not purely logical beings, otherwise Sovereign would not have gotten caught off guard. They are prone to fits of superiority and other flaws.

QuoteIf you can gang up on one thats solving a rubiks cube and chained to a chair, then yes, you could take out another with extreme numbers on your side. Hell, snag two, or three. Sure, that one just wiped out a few dozen of your ships, and some of those were some real hard ass models. But unless you outnumber the entire Reaper population by a hundred fold, all your doing is making them cull harder next cycle.
It's obvious the Protheans has a fighting chance when the Reapers hit them with the sneak attack. I'll take the odds of the Reapers going down when you have more than one galactic civilization going up against them.

Tonalberry

Just saw the Arkham City trailer on the Sucker Punch dvd.  I think I'll be stopping by GameStop to reserve it tomorrow, since I'll be going to the shopping center to look for where they're gonna be opening up a Spec's.

Sabby

...wow. I have no clue how you misunderstood pretty much every paragraph you quoted. Its like you heard what you wanted to, because the assumptions you made and my actual meanings weren't even remotely similarly :/ I mean, how on Earth did you twist the 'logical' culling plan into 'fear of losses' again? Just because Soverign showed some arrogance doesn't mean he's afraid. He's doing a job and doing it right, and I see no reason for it to be anything other then that.

Plus the Protheans had a fighting chance? Seriously? Wow, if that was 'a fighting chance' then we'll be looking forward to great odds, won't we, watching the entire universe steam rolled over a few hubdred years with no way of stalling the enemy. Yep, fantastic chances, just like the Protheans.

And Soverign attacked the Citadel because he was... arrogant? o.o What? I can't even get my head around that... so instead of just attacking the Citadel without completely assuring odds, he took the arrogant route and decided it was better to ally the Geth, plan a two pronged attack from outside and within with the sole purpose of getting at the killswitch and being protected while he does his work... thats not arrogance man. Once again, he took the option with the best chances.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on June 30, 2011, 12:59:29 AM
...wow. I have no clue how you misunderstood pretty much every paragraph you quoted. Its like you heard what you wanted to, because the assumptions you made and my actual meanings weren't even remotely similarly :/ I mean, how on Earth did you twist the 'logical' culling plan into 'fear of losses' again? Just because Soverign showed some arrogance doesn't mean he's afraid. He's doing a job and doing it right, and I see no reason for it to be anything other then that.

Plus the Protheans had a fighting chance? Seriously? Wow, if that was 'a fighting chance' then we'll be looking forward to great odds, won't we, watching the entire universe steam rolled over a few hubdred years with no way of stalling the enemy. Yep, fantastic chances, just like the Protheans.

And Soverign attacked the Citadel because he was... arrogant? o.o What? I can't even get my head around that... so instead of just attacking the Citadel without completely assuring odds, he took the arrogant route and decided it was better to ally the Geth, plan a two pronged attack from outside and within with the sole purpose of getting at the killswitch and being protected while he does his work... thats not arrogance man. Once again, he took the option with the best chances.
No... I understood it fine. If Sovereign could hand the Citadel Fleet it's ass on a silver platter why didn't it... Oh... wait they were shutting the arms. Well that's plan A. So... he has to rush in their and make himself vulnerable. The purely logical thing to do would be to lay waste to the citadel and rebuild it in the down time between killing off whole civilizations. What does the giant, supposedly purely logic-based machine do? Attach himself to it and make himself vulnerable. So the conclusion is that Sovereign is not powerful enough to take on a whole fleet by himself and reinforcements were his priority. The Geth were not his second prong they were his cover. Apparently when you latch onto the Citadel some of your combat effectiveness goes out the window. 

I meant that the Protheans had a fighting chance until the Reapers set off plan A. It didn't make it in there. They had unlocked mass effect technology just before they got cut off.

The Reapers fear death as much as any sentient being does, but I suppose fear isn't the right word. The most logical thing they would adhere to first is self-preservation. So... killing themselves to kill galactic civilization that's called a Pyrrhic victory. So yeah... they don't want to die whatever the spin you put on it. The greatest advantage the Reapers have for themselves isn't the logic and it isn't their tech. The fact that galactic civilization refuses to acknowledge their existence. That's why they're going to all-out war.