Hyborian Age(Conan Setting) - <Full> (Extreme, N/C, Freeform)

Started by Moraline, May 09, 2013, 03:41:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebb

Looks great; it'll be interesting to do a more sword & sorcery setting, less high fantasy.

Character Name: Elokhat
Player: Ebb
Country of Origin:  Stygia
Deity(s):  Set the Serpent God

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 170
Eyes: black
Hair: bald, no facial hair
Distinguishing Features/Markings/Scars/Tattoos: Snake tatoo across upper back, normally covered. Finger and toenails painted dull black. His physique is lean and muscular.

Class/Skill Background:  Noble Warrior, trained since childhood for the duel, if not the battlefield. Knows the mysteries of the Serpent God -- this is religious ritual knowledge, not sorcery. Adept at driving or fighting from a chariot. Can run a household of slaves, including the occasional need for torture.

Weapons Specialties:  Stygian dueling styles: Khopesh and shield or khopesh and long knife, in light armor.

Weapons:  Ornate heavy khopesh (a souvenir of his homeland), large tombstone-shaped wood and leather shield

Armor:  Leather kilt, leather straps across torso, leather armguards

Equipment/Supplies: Heavy cloak, dried fish, packets of dried herbs, waterskin, sharpening stone, shaving knife

Personality Traits:  Haughty and eerie. Elokhat believes most people to be beneath him, but acknowledges that occasional members of lesser races (ie all of them) may rise to earn his respect. This must be proven, though, as it has been for the members of his current mercenary band. Elokhat does not fear death; in his mind he has already experienced worse. He fights silently and efficiently, speaking barely above a whisper, and always with a fixed and somewhat creepy smile on his face. He moves sinuously, like a dancer, even when not in combat.

Racial Animosities:  Not an animosity, but believes Kushites and other barbarous races to be inferior
Phobias:  Y, Drowning

Bio & Notes:
Elokhat was the second son of a noble Stygian family, one which had risen to great prominence in the decadent theocracy through careful politicking and applied assassination. He sought to increase the family's wealth by personally leading slaving raids against the Kushites and Shemites, to generally great success. On his twenty-second birthday his hubris overcame him, and inspired by what he thought was a vision sent from Set he attempted to slay his elder brother Nhokhal IV and his father, Nhokhal III. This coup was unsuccessful due to the treachery (or loyalty, depending on how one looks at it) of one of Elokhat's slaves. Elokhat was sentenced to death but escaped and fled the country, almost unheard of for Stygian nobles. He is no longer welcome in his homeland, and will be killed on sight. Since that time he has sold his impressive martial skills to survive, and has recently come to find that his potential for survival is much higher as a member of a mercenary band than a warrior on his own.

Though he may normally present a cold demeanor, there are times when flashes of his old good humor shine through and the carefree young noble that he was makes a brief appearance. Beer is often involved in these episodes. For years Elokhat has had no goal other than survival. He cannot return to Stygia, and no other land seems to him worthy to call home. This may change in time. He enjoys playing off of his mysterious homeland, intimidating men or seducing women with tales of the dark rituals of his people. Some of these stories are even true.

"I agree to and understand The Oath of the Drake"

Phaia

looks like we are getting a very intertesting group together

I like the idea of low fantasy, low but powerful magic. Maybe some where along the way Mongoose will earn a better name.

So who is gonna the new 'Captian' so Goose knows who to look at as her male ally?

Phaia

Lockepick

Ha... I looked over the FAQs over and over again looking for answers... didn't think to look at the character sheet to give me that sort of info. Question withdrawn!
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Moraline

Quote from: Ebb on May 10, 2013, 04:36:04 PM
Looks great; it'll be interesting to do a more sword & sorcery setting, less high fantasy.

Character Name: Elokhat
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Player: Ebb
Country of Origin:  Stygia
Deity(s):  Set the Serpent God

Height: 6'0"
Weight: 170
Eyes: black
Hair: bald, no facial hair
Distinguishing Features/Markings/Scars/Tattoos: Snake tatoo across upper back, normally covered. Finger and toenails painted dull black. His physique is lean and muscular

Class/Skill Background:  Noble Warrior, trained since childhood for the duel, if not the battlefield. Knows the mysteries of the Serpent God, including knowledge of rare poisons and drugs. Adept at fighting from a chariot, given a driver. Can run a household of slaves, including the occasional need for torture.

Weapons Specialties:  Most skilled with khopesh and shield, in light armor. Can use the Stygian longbow or the spear.

Weapons:  Ornate heavy khopesh (a souvenir of his homeland), large tombstone-shaped wood and leather shield

Armor:  Leather kilt, leather straps across torso, leather armguards

Equipment/Supplies: Heavy cloak, leatherworking tools, dried fish, packets of dried herbs, waterskin, sharpening stone, shaving knife

Personality Traits:  Haughty and eerie. Elokhat believes most people to be beneath him, but acknowledges that occasional members of lesser races (ie all of them) may rise to earn his respect. This must be proven, though, as it has been for the members of his current mercenary band. Elokhat does not fear death; in his mind he has already experienced worse. He fights silently and efficiently, speaking barely above a whisper, and always with a fixed and somewhat creepy smile on his face. He moves sinuously, like a dancer, even when not in combat.

Racial Animosities:  Not an animosity, but believes Kushites and other barbarous races to be inferior
Phobias:  Y, Drowning

Bio & Notes:
Elokhat was the second son of a noble Stygian family, one which had risen to great prominence in the decadent theocracy through careful politicking and applied assassination. He sought to increase the family's wealth by personally leading slaving raids against the Kushites and Shemites, to generally great success. On his twenty-second birthday his hubris overcame him, and inspired by what he thought was a vision sent from Set he attempted to slay his elder brother Nhokhal IV and his father, Nhokhal III. This coup was unsuccessful due to the treachery (or loyalty, depending on how one looks at it) of one of Elokhat's slaves. Elokhat was sentenced to death but escaped and fled the country, almost unheard of for Stygian nobles. He is no longer welcome in his homeland, and will be killed on sight.

Since that time he has sold his impressive martial skills to survive, occasionally dabbling in the creation, sale and usage of poisons based upon ancient Stygian recipes. The native ingredients are not common in the north, as expected, but he has experimented with suitable substitutes.

Though he may normally present a cold demeanor, there are times when flashes of his old good humor shine through and the carefree young noble that he was makes a brief appearance. Beer is often involved in these episodes. For years Elokhat has had no goal other than survival. He cannot return to Stygia, and no other land seems to him worthy to call home. This may change in time. He enjoys playing off of his mysterious homeland, intimidating men or seducing women with tales of the dark rituals of his people. Some of these stories are even true.

"I agree to and understand The Oath of the Drake"
I like your character but can I get you to remove the knowledge of poisons part. I'd like to leave that skill open for someone that wants to play an assassin type. I think your character is great as a professional duelist type.

Also with the weapons specialties.. Can I get you to narrow it down to just a couple like swords and shields? (It doesn't mean that he can't use the others, it just means that he doesn't specialize in them.  I'm going to run on the assumption that anyone can pick up and use any weapon but keep the weapons specialty section for what you are an expert in.)

Moraline

Quote from: lockepick on May 10, 2013, 04:56:22 PM
Ha... I looked over the FAQs over and over again looking for answers... didn't think to look at the character sheet to give me that sort of info. Question withdrawn!
Look forward to seeing your character if you decide to join us.

Thanks for pointing out that I needed to update my original post to make sure players understood that there are NO magic player characters.

I updated the character sheet spoiler to read: "Character Sheet (Contains Information on Character Creation and the Races of Hyboria)"

Ebb

Quote from: Moraline on May 10, 2013, 06:53:49 PM
I like your character but can I get you to remove the knowledge of poisons part. I'd like to leave that skill open for someone that wants to play an assassin type. I think your character is great as a professional duelist type.

Also with the weapons specialties.. Can I get you to narrow it down to just a couple like swords and shields? (It doesn't mean that he can't use the others, it just means that he doesn't specialize in them.  I'm going to run on the assumption that anyone can pick up and use any weapon but keep the weapons specialty section for what you are an expert in.)

Certainly. Edited now; let me know if it's not sufficient.

Lorelei

Hi,
I've been gone from here for years and years (hence deverification) but have recently gotten back into roleplaying.  And now, I am aching to play a game which is dark and edgy, where my character could be ravished at knife point by barbarians.  So I am back.   I have asked the admins for reverification and would like to submit a character once that gets done. 

Thanks,

-L

PS:  I LOVE Conan.

arkhos

Character Name: Lukas Tarn
Player: arkhos
Country of Origin:  Aquilonia
Deity(s):  Mitra
Height: 6'1”
Weight: 205
Eyes: Greenish-grey
Hair: Tawny brown

Distinguishing Features/Markings/Scars/Tattoos: A scar roughly nine inches long that runs left to right on the left side of his ribs. A circular scar approximately two inches across just beneath his right shoulder blade.

Class/Skill Background:  Battlefield Medic/Physician. Well-versed with the human anatomy, medicines, etiquette.

Weapons Specialties:  Longbow and Short sword.

Weapons:  Longbow, Quiver of 30 arrows, Short sword.

Armor:  Worn chain shirt. Leather breeches and boots. Cloth elsewhere.

Equipment/Supplies:  Field-surgeon's kit (includes bandages, sewing needles, thread, minor herbs to dull pain, etc), dried rations, change of clothes, waterskin, backpack.

Personality Traits:  Lukas is incredibly well-spoken for a mercenary, and it is quite clear that he has received higher education somewhere, but the origin of his knowledge is something he does not speak about.

Racial Animosities:  N

Phobias:  Deep water - 10 feet or more – if he can't see the bottom, he's sweating. It does not paralyze him, but it is something that he has always feared.

Bio & Notes:  Lukas became a mercenary many years ago, joining the first roving mercenary band that he came across after leaving home. He had virtually no fighting skills whatsoever, even though he was very skilled with the longbow. But he demonstrated a knowledge of the human body – and how to treat it against illness, disease, and wounds. This knowledge earned him a place amongst the mercenary band.

Over his time marching from battlefield to battlefield, Lukas has saved many lives, performed countless amputations, cured many illnesses, and even pulled many teeth. Despite this, many 'warriors' of the mercenary company didn't truly respect him or the skills he brought into play, even though many of them had been aided by his skilled hands on more than one occasion.

His past is something that Lukas avoids discussing. He is obviously very scholarly, demonstrating his knowledge of history of various nations and peoples, but beyond that, like many fellow mercenaries he does not speak of the time of his life before he became a road-soldier.

I have read and accepted the Oath of the Drake.
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Moraline

I like the character, arkhos. Welcome to the group.

Players signed up so far with Characters:

Quote from: Lorelei on May 10, 2013, 09:44:50 PM
Hi,
I've been gone from here for years and years (hence deverification) but have recently gotten back into roleplaying.  And now, I am aching to play a game which is dark and edgy, where my character could be ravished at knife point by barbarians.  So I am back.   I have asked the admins for reverification and would like to submit a character once that gets done. 

Thanks,

-L

PS:  I LOVE Conan.
Good luck with the re-verification process and hopefully we'll see you soon. It's okay if you wish to post a character in anticipation.

A word to all those that have joined the game and are looking at joining.  Please do make sure to read the original post carefully. I know it's a lot of information but it's all their to help people decide if they want to join the game or not.

A couple of points:

-  This is a Freeform game (although I may include some random GM rolls from time to time)
-  This will be a fairly fast paced game as I expect people to post at least 4 days a week (if not more.) Please post often and as soon as possible so that you're not holding up other players.
-  This is going to be an Extreme section game because of the potential for blood and violence and possibly dark magic acts (not performed by players.) There will likely be Non-Consensual (but always make sure the player gives their approval)
-  Players will possess no magic.
-  And of course the standard, No-God Modding - Do not put words into player characters mouths or think for them. Do not write actions for them. (The exception is when the other player gives you permission to do so.)

A note about magic, the supernatural, and you:  (For the rare occasion when it's encountered in game)

These things exist in the world and everyone knows it but few have seen them. People know of tales of the dead walking, or flying demons. Dark witches that spill blood to cast incantations and burn men alive.

Your character would have grown up on tales of gods and goddesses, demons, cannibals, and creatures lurking in the shadows.

However, regardless of the stories that your character has heard or the bravery they display in battle, nothing is quit like going face to face with a horror straight out of a nightmare. The tales your character was told as a child were designed to terrify young ones into listening to adults and following in their various deities teachings. These lessons are ingrained in your culture and belief systems.

Phaia

Moraline I realize it is freeform but are you setting the storys, handling the npcs etc?

Phaia

vin26m

Any chance we will be starting soon?

Maybe even something like just hanging out in a tavern, killing time, until some NPC comes along to offer us work?

Moraline

Quote from: Phaia on May 11, 2013, 09:08:02 AM
Moraline I realize it is freeform but are you setting the storys, handling the npcs etc?

Phaia
Mostly I'll control the game world and I'll be utitlizing some core/main NPC's to help direct plot arcs. Also, I'll most likely be presenting opportunities like I posted in the original post where there are 3 current main choices. What the characters decide to do and how they pursue things will be left up to the characters.

I think of it as a directed freeform. If that makes sense. I explained a bit of it in the FAQ's. It's okay for players to control minor NPC's (servants, bystanders, etc...) I'll handle the main NPC's.
(I know your familiar with Lunar's Shadowrun - I do things a bit like that.)

Quote from: vin26m on May 11, 2013, 09:18:08 AM
Any chance we will be starting soon?

Maybe even something like just hanging out in a tavern, killing time, until some NPC comes along to offer us work?
Well, we have a few characters now, so I'll probably post up something soonish if there's enough demand for it.

vin26m

Would you want to break up the group?  I would rather keep them together.  Less work for you.

Between having a horseman and having a merc medic who doesn't like water, I'm already leaning away from the piracy angle. 

Phaia

Quote from: vin26m on May 11, 2013, 10:05:19 AM
Would you want to break up the group?  I would rather keep them together.  Less work for you.

Between having a horseman and having a merc medic who doesn't like water, I'm already leaning away from the piracy angle.

as long as there are no bunnys around , Mongoose will be fine

Phaia

RevAtArms

A horseman who does not currently possess a horse, I'll note, so I'm quite fine with just about any angle!

vin26m

Also, I think I'd rather beat up other humans at first, and Cormac would want to visit Conan's kingdom.

arkhos

Oh, Lukas will go on the boat if the rest of the group is going, of course - it will just be fun to RP the phobia/sickness while we're sailing away! :)

-ark
Wheels within wheels in a spiral array, a pattern so grand and complex; Time after time we lose sight of the way, our causes can't see their effects.

Moraline

Quote from: arkhos on May 11, 2013, 01:35:48 PM
Oh, Lukas will go on the boat if the rest of the group is going, of course - it will just be fun to RP the phobia/sickness while we're sailing away! :)

-ark
That's the spirit I like to see! Half the fun of a phobia is confronting it.  What's that? Did someone say that a boat loaded with bunnies was headed to the Black Isles?!  LOL  *hugs the poor Goose as she most likely will be shivering in terror*

Quote from: RevAtArms on May 11, 2013, 10:47:56 AM
A horseman who does not currently possess a horse, I'll note, so I'm quite fine with just about any angle!
Might just have to steal yourself a horse somewhere.  Can anyone remember what the penalty for horse thieves usually is? You might just need the assistance of an expert Rogue Thief (*ahem* Goose) for that.

Quote from: vin26m on May 11, 2013, 10:05:19 AM

My intent is that with the group all knowing each other that you'd work together in whatever endeavors you choose. Although if by chance we got several more people joining then I have no problem with their being a couple groups. However, right now you guys are a good size for one single group.

Phaia

Quote from: Moraline on May 11, 2013, 03:22:58 PM
Did someone say that a boat loaded with bunnies was headed to the Black Isles?!  LOL  *hugs the poor Goose as she most likely will be shivering in terror*

**Goose goes berzerk... killing the fluffy bunnies, hacking her way to the side of the ship and dives overbroad**

lol i gather you like the name 'Goose'
and her phobia about rabbits....when you are 6 and crawling through holes in the Pit trying to kill snakes and come across an oversize rabbit...its eyes glowing in the dim light...its whiskers twitching and the big ears pointed at ya...well ya can see why they scare her

Phaia

arkhos

Heyas Mora,

How about Vin's idea I think he posted a bit earlier... might we start some sort of IC thread where we can kinda chat IC? Even if it's not actual 'progress' on some kind of storyline, it would give us time to acclimate to our characters/comrades, while we wait for the 'real' start of our journey?

Just an idea, I second his motion! :)

-ark

Moraline

Quote from: Phaia on May 11, 2013, 03:29:09 PM
lol i gather you like the name 'Goose'
Yeah, I do like the name, Goose. It's kinda a cute nickname. 

Also, I totally understand why she has the phobia. Lots of normally cute things can be quite traumatizing when your younger and that so-called cute object is suddenly put into a different situation. (Lots of people hat clowns for this very reason.)

I once walked into my house to find a Tickle-Me-Elmo doll just sitting there laughing with a slow downed warped sound. Apperently the thing went off when my family was out of the house and it musta been laughing for hours. We had the pleasure of walking in to find it sitting in a chair with the batteries dying.  "Wu-...ah..ha...ha..ah.. ha...."  *shivers*... night mares!

Quote from: arkhos on May 11, 2013, 03:31:06 PM
Heyas Mora,

How about Vin's idea I think he posted a bit earlier... might we start some sort of IC thread where we can kinda chat IC? Even if it's not actual 'progress' on some kind of storyline, it would give us time to acclimate to our characters/comrades, while we wait for the 'real' start of our journey?

Just an idea, I second his motion! :)

-ark
Noted. I'll get something started soon. Just a busy day today, been running around a lot.

arkhos

Moraline

Hyborian Age - The Leaky Wench of Kordava (IC) thread has been created for a little Tavern RP before the game officially begins.

Note: I won't be creating any story arcs in the thread at this time. It's just for the accepted characters that wish to dip their toes in.

If you have any questions please ask them here for now. I'll have an OOC thread once the game officially gets underway.