Hunter: the Vigil (Extreme)

Started by ivygrowth, November 29, 2011, 08:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ivygrowth

A murderer is stalking the streets and houses of Westport, killing indiscriminately.  The police cannot seem to find this killer, and not even the most well protected home is proof against his invasion.  One man, a reclusive millionaire, claimed to know what was the cause, only to be laughed out of the police station.  In desperation he has hired the crew of the Queen's Emerald, an underwater salvage ship, to investigate a shipwreck...

--

I am looking for a handful of players to make up the crew of the Queen's Emerald.  This will be a Tier 1 Hunter the Vigil game, with a heavy focus on plot, though adult and erotic content will take place fairly regularly. 

I don't plan to pull punches, and the characters will be going up against some very nasty creatures, so I am going to allow players to create a primary and secondary character if they so desire.  The secondary character would be one related to their primary character (or the situation at hand), but not directly involved in the hunt.  This character would take over if the primary one was killed (with a transfer of experience, minus a small percentage) or indisposed (if so desired, as a temporary character).  You don't have to create a secondary character, or can create him/her later as needed.

This game will be rated as Extreme, though I don't mind fading to black for content that a player isn't comfortable with.  However, the content may take place in other player's stories, so you need to be willing to skip over it or otherwise deal with it if you are involved in the game. 

I would prefer female characters, but don't mind male ones.  I might also be willing to accept one assistant GM/villain player to help me. 

I will be allowing only the World of Darkness core rulebook, Hunter the Vigil rulebook, and Armory book for character creation.

Westport is a fictional New England city.  I will develop it more as the game progresses, but assume a relatively well off city with a population of roughly one million people. 

The characters will know each other to one degree or another, so some effort will need to be put into working out relationships.  Characters can be support staff of the crew (office workers and such) if a player prefers that over an actual crew member.  I may also accept one or two characters who work for the millionaire. 

Any interest?

AndyZ

Hmmm...I usually try to avoid nWoD games, but I can see a decent amount of promise in this.  I have a decent amount of nWoD experience, although none with Hunter: the Vigil.

First Tier apparently means we're fresh out of the hunt.  Any chance we get any extra XP to begin the game, or will you just start things out with the 0 XP common to such games?  Will our characters already know about monsters and, if so, presumably have some degree of combat training already?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

ivygrowth

The game would actually start before any characters have had meaningful contact with the supernatural (I'm intending to run something of a group prelude).  So while a character may have had a glimpse of something prior to the start of the game, it wouldn't have been enough for them to take up the Vigil. 

I am debating about XP, I may give a bit.  At the very least I will be giving a couple free points in Resources (since they all have a job), and possibly Athletics (though may just give that as XP, as it may not make sense for every character). 

A character could have combat training from their background, but wouldn't have earned any in the Vigil yet. 

Pretty in Pink

Count me in!

ANd here's an idea.  Rather than give them experience, give them up to two dots free in a SINGLE skill that fits the concept that they can't put points in otherwise.

Just a thought.

As for nWoD, don't much care for what they've done to vampire, but I would be more than willing to give Hunter a try.  Now off to Myth-Weavers to see if they have an nWoD character sheet.

EDIT!  Yes, there IS an nWoD sheet on Myth-Weavers.  Makes this a TON easier.  At least for me.
[FLOATLEFT][/FLOATLEFT]O.O ~{=}~ Ideas ~{=}~ A&A[FLOATRIGHT][/FLOATRIGHT]

I've taken the Oath of the Drake for Group RP

ivygrowth

That works.  I will give 2 points in Resources to all characters, and 2 points to put into any Skill(s) the player desires, though taking the 5th dot in a skill would require both of the points as usual. 

AndyZ

Well, the only idea I have is probably going to get killed off in the first 15 minutes, so I think I'm going to pass.  Good luck to everyone who plays though.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Dizzied

AndyZ...thats what hunter is all about. ^_^

I'm definitely interested, though I don't have a character concept in mind just yet. I'll try to post something more concrete by tomorrow.

Dizzied

Hm, I have a character concept in mind but I'd like to get approval before making it entirely.

Cheryl Moore was a fisherman's wife. There were a lot of them in coastal towns, and she was a member of the unofficial club. Hopelessly romantic in her youth, she and Gunther, her husband, got married while they were both young. She had her son, Blake, when she was 19 years old, and was a stay-at-home mother until the accident that claimed her husband's life while at sea, some 16 years later.

It's been five years since then, and Cheryl has been providing for herself and her son ever since. She managed to salvage Gunther's boat and has become a fisherwoman, relying on hired help to teach her many of the things she needed to know. She's come a long way, though, and is pulling her weight aboard the Seasword, her forty-foot vessel. Business is steady, but she hopes to save up enough to buy a second ship, maybe someday starting her own fishing company.

Blake is in college, but he's recently lost his scholarship due to poor grades. In need of financial assistance, she offers to help out on the Queen's Emerald.

ivygrowth

I like the character, and should fit in fine. 

AndyZ

Quote from: Dizzied on November 30, 2011, 01:18:57 AM
AndyZ...thats what hunter is all about. ^_^

Really?  I don't see the appeal but I guess I can try.

Ivy, could I get away with playing the millionaire's daughter?  I'm picturing a sort of brilliant but spoiled teenager, used to having the world handed to her but fascinated to learn about life's mysteries before her college life begins.

ivygrowth

I'd argue that half the fun is going up against creatures that could kill you quickly, not necessarily having them kill you ;)

I'm fine with that, though for plot reasons I am going to require that she is a bit estranged from him.  Probably distant, maybe she attended private school or similar for a number of years. 

Pretty in Pink

Kay.  So we're building BASE HtV characters, right?

Oh, my concept.  Single mom, never married.  Kid's a bit of a hellion, so most prospective 'daddy's are turned off by the kid's manners.  Kid's rough and tumble, but main reason is because mom always tussled with him growing up.

She's been raising the kid for ten years - she's mid twenties.  Yes, she had the kid YOUNG.  I can alter it if you wish, Ivy - when the kid just up and vanishes one day.  No sign of what happened, nothing.  So she's currently in the grieving process, and every single one of her beaus that were afraid to do anything are sending their condolences......  Except one, who always struck her as a little........ Odd?  Now he's around a lot more often than he was, making it clear there's really only ONE thing he's interested in.  (Guy's some kind of supernatural, got rid of the kid so he could claim mom.  Kid didn't like the guy's feel, so raised all KINDS of hell to make sure mommy got rid of him ASAP.)

So to get away from it all, she's found the first job she could that would take her.  Which just happened to be helping on the Queen's Emerald.

ivygrowth

Yes, base Hunter, however with 2 free points in the Resources merit and 2 free points to put into any skill (with the 2 point cost for the fifth dot as usual).

That concept works :-)  I should be able to incorporate the back story into the plot at some point. 

AndyZ

Stephanie Mycroft
Character Sheet
Hope/Sloth
Academic Profession

Intelligence 4
Wits 3
Resolve 1

Strength 2
Dexterity 3
Stamina 1

Presence 2
Manipulation 2
Composure 3

Academics (Research) 3
Computer 3
Investigation 3
Occult 2

Athletics (Acrobatics) 3
Drive 1

Empathy (Lies) 2
Persuasion (Fast-Talking) 4
Socialize 3

Barfly 1
Language (French) 1
Resources 5
Striking Looks 2

Stephanie Mycroft doesn't consider herself to be as spoiled as so many other of her peers.  Certainly, she doesn't like when people are rude or lie to her, she only wears what's in fashion and she absolutely requires anything truly high-tech or state-of-the-art, but she doesn't yell at people or berate them for being inferior.  She's just used to getting her way, one way or another, and has never really known want or true frustration throughout her life.

Her father always made sure that she went to the best schools, and for the last few years, she's been off in Paris, getting her education and exploring the appeals of Europe.  Next year is college, with all the appeals and frightening possibilities, but she has absolutely no idea in what she wants to major.  She's decided to take a year off, coming back home to try to reconcile the time with her family, and at the mention of the boating trip, she's already reserved passage upon the Queen's Emerald.  To her knowledge, her father doesn't know yet, and she hopes to be able to surprise him.

Pretty in Pink

Thing is, with that concept, I'm not sure what Profession to give her.  I'm leaning toward Laborer, Professional, or Vagrant.  Never actually played Hunter before, outside of the Hunter: the Reckoning game for the XBox (not a very good example of the system, I know).  Any suggestions?

AndyZ

Reckoning and Vigil are very different, even moreso than Masquerade and Requiem.

Laborer, Professional and Vagrant could all fit from what I'm seeing, although I'd personally probably go Laborer.

From what I'm seeing so far in Vigil, the only differences are that you get an extra spec based on your Profession and that you can Risk Willpower.  I imagine that since we're not really aware of the supernatural yet, your character will mostly just be made normal, albeit with that fourth spec and the Profession.  If this is wrong, I'll have to adjust my own.

Muse

Oh!  I would love to play! 

Let me see what I can come up with?  My first thought is my Fight Director... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Pretty in Pink

Grargh.  I have to say, after glancing over the book (PDF for the win) I realized that I'm completely lost.  It's nothing like creating a Mortal for the other systems.  Attributes are odd, Abilities are apparently Skills now (and specialties are free for the first three), not to mention....  RARGH!  Someone... help... please?  *pouty face*

Dizzied

Don't worry, we're glad to help. :)

I'll add you on YIM, see if you can't get on at some point today and I'll try to help you out with the confusing bits.

ivygrowth

Looks good from a quick once-over AndyZ.   

I'm not sure what profession would make sense for your character Pretty in Pink, it would depend how you see her life outside of her child.  What sort of jobs would she have held?

It has been awhile since I played Reckoning, but one of the main differences I believe is that the characters themselves aren't supernatural as in the first one, barring being part of a Tier 3 organization.  I believe you can risk Willpower in both systems, though maybe not in the same way?  (Would have to dig out my old Hunter the Reckoning book to check)

You are correct AndyZ, for this game (and at this tier) your character is just a normal human (and the only change from a normal mortal is that you get that Profession and the extra Specialty). 

Fight Director?

The attributes have changed a bit I believe (appearance is now a merit and such), but aren't too different I don't think.  I'd start by assigning your attributes as you would see fitting your character.  After that, the skills are fairly similar to abilities in oWoD, I wouldn't worry about the specialties at first (they are different, I think in oWoD they required 4 dots or such?).  Once you have chosen your skills, try and decide what areas she would have some special skill in.  You mention her wrestling with her kid, so that could be one for Brawl.  You mention her having alot of beaus, so something like Seduction for Persuasion could make sense (depending on how you see her getting her beaus).  I'm not sure for a third specialty.  Would she have a hobby of some sort?   

Dizzied

Okay, I have a basic outline of Cheryl's character sheet, although I'm not 100% sure what her profession would be. Laborer sounds like the only one in the right ball park for a small fishing boat captain. Any thoughts?

As a Tier 1 hunter, this means our characters start off already having been exposed to the supernatural? If so, I'd justify her firearms and weaponry skills as training she's taken in those areas. If they're not yet exposed, though, I'd move some of those dots elsewhere.

" width="300" class="bbc_img resized

Name: Cheryl Moore
Virtue: Fortitude
Vice: Greed

Intelligence: 2
Wits: 2
Resolve: 3

Strength: 3
Dexterity: 2
Stamina: 3

Presence: 2
Manipulation: 1
Composure: 3

Skills
Academics: 2
Computers:
Crafts:
Investigation:
Medicine: 1
Occult:
Politics:
Science: 1

Athletics: 4 (Swimming)
Brawl:
Drive: 3 (Specialty: Boats)
Firearms: 1
Larceny:
Stealth:
Survival: 4 (Navigation)
Weaponry: 1

Animal Ken:
Empathy: 3 (lies)
Expression: 2
Intimidation:
Persuasion: 1
Socialize:
Streetwise:
Subterfuge: 1

Merits:
Resources: 2 (free)
Iron Stamina: 1
Strong Back: 1
Natural Immunity: 1
Direction Sense: 1
Strong Lungs: 3

AndyZ

Quote from: ivygrowth on November 29, 2011, 09:32:12 PM
The game would actually start before any characters have had meaningful contact with the supernatural (I'm intending to run something of a group prelude).  So while a character may have had a glimpse of something prior to the start of the game, it wouldn't have been enough for them to take up the Vigil. 

Go ahead and move those points around.

The book does say that the list of Professions isn't supposed to be exhaustive.  If I were to suggest one for a sailor, it would probably be one of the specialties that you already have, for the reasons that I'm sure you already understand.  To that end, you'll probably want to pick out a fourth spec, just realizing that your Profession spec will likely be one of the three that you already have.  Of course, that's subject to the ST's approval.

Dizzied

Quote from: ivygrowth on November 29, 2011, 09:32:12 PM

Ah, missed that post. Alright, moved some some points around, took 1 dot out of firearms and weaponry each and put them into athletics and drive.

I figure Athletics would be a suitable specialty for a career at sea, so I gave her a specialty in empathy(lies). She did raise a son, after all...

ivygrowth

Laborer would work, or we can come up with something for a Sailor.  Athletics works for Laborer or for a Sailor.

Your character wouldn't have encountered the supernatural quite yet, though some points in firearms or weaponry could make sense from self-defense training or similar. 

She looks good :-)

Pretty in Pink

No, no.  You misunderstood me.  She wasn't bringing them in for THAT.  She was trying to find the best father she could for the kid, since the actual sperm donor was a complete and total douchebag.  Pardon my language.

But I've decided on Laborer.  She's a cook at like a Waffle House or something.  And with the kid gone, she's quit and is getting ready to move on, just needs a lot of money FAST.