News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Windows Vista (PLZ HALP!)

Started by Elohim, May 07, 2009, 07:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elohim

I had to go out and snag and buy a new laptop,  last one died...  HUZZAH! 

Well as I was saying,  I got a new lap top with windows vista.  All was well,  I didn't hate it...  in fact I found it to be rather nice.  Until  a couple days in,  out of the blue I lost my capability to connect to my router.  It worked fine,  and then all of a sudden it just decided to die out on me.  Oddly enough I still can get it to connect to wifi hotspots and the like...

I am able to connect locally via linksy... yet,  I find myself incapable of connecting to the actual internet.  I've seen this is a rather common problem,  any of you lovely techie people out there willing to help a complete ditz.

That actually sounds more like a router problem than a Vista problem, if you can connect to the router.

Elohim

I assumed it was too...  unfortunatly,  this doesn't quite seem to be the case.  From what I've seen this is a rather common place problem for vista users.  Though, perhaps the router isn't syncing up with the new programming?

O.o how strange. I dunno, any of my answers would come from Google, unless that's the kind of help you want! :P

Elohim

Nah I tried that...  hehe,  I kind of need a simplified walkthrough if anyone knows how to handle it.

pianoman7117

It definitely sounds like a router problem not a vista problem, although not being a vista user, I wouldn't know. Does your router use any kind of WEP key or such for security? If you can connect to a hotspot but not your router, it might not be the router has a problem, but the configurations on the computer having to do with the router.

Vista's renowned for weird problems that don't make sense, so.

Vekseid

Can you reach IPs instead of domain names? Ie http://174.34.158.178 for Elliquiy

Gunslinger

Windows Vista doesn't connect if your routers signal is weak.

For example if you had an xp laptop and a vista laptop, the laptop with xp would be able to see, connect and stay connected to wireless access points that had a weak signal (1 bar). The vista laptop might not be able to connect to the wireless access point at all if its as weak as 1 bar, or connect and disconnect after a bit.

First you should see if other non vista machines can connect to the router and make sure everything has a proper ip. If they cant then there might be some interference.

Second you can try to see if you can connect by moving closer to the router, if you can then just find a nice spot for your wireless router. But if you cant connect to the router at all I would suggest getting rid of vista or use a wired connection.

Oh and contact your network administrator.  XD

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Seraph on May 07, 2009, 07:23:52 PM
I had to go out and snag and buy a new laptop,  last one died...  HUZZAH! 

Well as I was saying,  I got a new lap top with windows vista.  All was well,  I didn't hate it...  in fact I found it to be rather nice.  Until  a couple days in,  out of the blue I lost my capability to connect to my router.  It worked fine,  and then all of a sudden it just decided to die out on me.  Oddly enough I still can get it to connect to wifi hotspots and the like...

I am able to connect locally via linksy... yet,  I find myself incapable of connecting to the actual internet.  I've seen this is a rather common problem,  any of you lovely techie people out there willing to help a complete ditz.

Had the same problem. . .in the end had to stip it back down to right out of box and start all over again. . .pissed me off. . .but that fixed the problem. . .

It's an update wigging out on you.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

kylie

I wasn't clear if the original question was really about wireless or not... 

Clueless about Vista, but my understanding is some wireless modem -type devices are much stronger than others.  If the issue is wireless, you might look at getting a stronger transmission device to carry, rather than changing OS or computer.

Gah, I just encountered this with the parents' laptop. I had to take that piece of crap down to the router and plug it in directly to get anything done at that moment.

Josietta

My laptop did the same thing. But only when it was hardwired to the router. I fully believe its a windows update that did it. It was fine before the update. I'm 'borrowing' some wifi from a neighbor on an unsecured line at the moment until i get my wireless router today, but I do fully believe it was the update. How else do you explain it working before that?

I tried to take mine into the shop and they told me it was a virus. I never found a virus with any program I used.

Good luck with it! I hope you get it fixed.

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

I'll note that I was wireless at the time. They said sometimes the browsers needed to be reopened... but I'm suspecting the culprit is Vista's issue with weak signals.

Scott

I was using a netgear wireless router and having problems like that, it cleared up when I got a router through my ISP. I don't know any technical answers, but thats what happened with mine. 

Tachi

Sometimes it works if you reset the router by unplugging it for thirty seconds, or by turning off your wi-fi (on your computer) for a while, or sometimes even by just restarting it. It happens for me still every once in a while and I'm pretty sure it's the cable company's fault for it being so crappy since it worked fine when I was using DSL for it.

Serephino

We had similar problems when a friend that was staying with us got a computer that had Vista.  Vista wants to automate everything.  We had to call up Dell technical support to fix it. 

Silk

I had this problem a while ago, I just connected it directly into the router and saved the connection details and havent had a problem connecting wirelessly since