The Kingmaker (Pathfinder Adventure Path 1-20) (Closed?)

Started by TheScarletBlade, April 01, 2018, 12:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheScarletBlade

Be it known that the bearer of this charter has been charged by the Swordlords of Restov, acting upon the greater good and authority vested within them to by the Office of Regent of the Dragonscale Throne, has granted the right of exploration and travel within the wilderness region known as the Greenbelt. Exploration should be limited to an area of 30 miles east and west and sixty miles south of Oleg's Trading Post. The bearer of this charter should also strive against banditry and other unlawful behavior to be encountered. The price for unrepentant banditry remains, as always, execution by sword or rope. So witnessed on this 24th day Talistril, under watchful eye of the Lordship of Restov and authority of Lord Surtova, current Regent of the Dragonscale Throne.

Bad grammar above hopefully not coloring peoples perception of my own writing skill, that was copied verbatim from the first part of this adventure. My name is TheScarletBlade, either TSB or Blade for short. I will be the heroic Dungeon Master on this lovely adventure path. What is an adventure path you say? Well, it is a series of prewritten but indepth quests that take a party of adventurers from level 1 to 20 using the Paizo Pathfinder system. Before someone is turned off by what would seem to be a prewritten series of a quests, I want to explain that Kingmaker is the most open, sandbox type world of these adventure paths. Before I talk more about the exciting Greenbelt and the adventure ahead, I want to get some more pressing information to those who might be interested. Currently this thread spawned out of another and I have already invited the roughly 3-4 people from there to come play. Since this adventure, to my knowledge can be scaled one way or another, the current party size is to be determined. I've dmed for multiple groups of all sizes but I would like that anyone who is not from the original thread to post interest as sort of a reservation. I guess if no one is interested, it won't matter! Also, this adventure path goes from 1-20 and I understand people will leave or retire from the game. I plan to play it out to the end as long as I don't get called out to Afghanistan/North Korea and there are people to play it. More people are definitely welcome to show interest and be added later.

How can interested people just be subbed in on a quest you ask? Well Kingmaker is the story of a kingdom, not just adventures. One Hero will rise and claim the Greenbelt or the Dragonscale Throne as their own. Around the third adventure, the focus moves more from grinding down bandits to the loyal members of the party working to save a kingdom from ruin and war. Does a king or queen not change their advisers or gain new followers? The flexible nature of this game and our hopefully prosperous kingdom allows near unlimited flexibility. That said, the adventure does start out at level 1. Rules for characters are that any rules or material written by Paizo is acceptable into the game. I don't like homebrewed stuff and I feel like there are a 100s of archetypes out there that anyone can create whatever type of character they like without having to use homebrewed stuff. Great resources for Paizo info will be linked soon but I can mention the Masterwork Tools: Pathfinder app on the google app store. Its amazing and I use it on my phone all the time. Also, this adventure path has its own 20 page player hand guide with info about the region and other adventure specific information. I can send anyone interested a copy of the PDF or its pretty easily found somewhere on the internet.

As for adult aspects to the game. This is E, that fact is not lost on any of us. It is welcomed in the game, to an extent. I would prefer that the fun stuff be left to a side thread in the game. Obviously there are downtime or periods of transition like in any game but I would prefer that for people wanting to work solely on the game be allowed to do so in the main thread areas and those who seek something else do that in another thread created for the game.

Not sure what else to say for now. I plan to drop more details and information from the players hand guide and adventure book about the world later but as I am traveling cross country after some training, I don't have as much time as I like. Hopefully this brief post is enough to tempt some potential newcomers and create a space for my current players to post their new characters.

Current Parties

The Divine Mandate: Linde, Chad, Trisiel, Serra, Tsabo

This 5 person party doesn't believe in morality. They will do whatever it takes to fulfill their ambitions.  One seeks to take back glory denied because of their bastard birth. One does whatever it takes to plant their sword in the heart of lawless. One seeks wealth beyond imaging, hungry for the power and secrets that can be unlocked by coin.  One is willing to do whatever it takes to bring their sect of religion to the heretics in the Stolen Lands. The last a Tiefling, spawn of demon seeking whatever power or prestige he can steal off his wits. Though a group with varied and diverse interests, they are united by a single sense of purpose: A willingness to do whatever it takes to realize their goals.

The Divine Mandate Links

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285749.0#new
Battle: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285750.0
General: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285751.0
Roster: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285752.0
Main Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285753.0

Outcasts : Dorn, Luckums, Largya, Alni, Aaeleyah

This five person party have been outcasts their whole lives. Who could love half orcs and frog girls? Whether from racial heritage or being seduced by dark powers, these adventurers left their homes seeking a place to belong. Why not the stolen lands? An uninhabitable bog with no laws or people to look down on their heritage, maybe they can create a home to all types of people: not just stinking normals. 1 is a raging warrior with a tough past, seeking violence and battle. 2 seeks acceptance as their goblin and frog backgrounds forced them out of civilized lands. 1 twisted by a dark voice in their head, warping their humanity a little bit every day. In one way or another, this band of adventurers is bound by a bond of shared discrimination against them: the stolen lands a chance to set the story right for these outcasts.

Outcasts Links

Battle: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285754.0
General: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285755.0
OOC:https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285756.0
Roster: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285757.0
Main Thread: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285758.0

Second Chance: Faeranduil, Alisa, Aurora, Drazzek, Nailo

This 5 person party was formed by people seeking to escape tragic pasts. One an accused murderer fleeing this ancestral home. One a former slave seeking freedom though the flames of their past still burn. Another a beautiful spawn of a vampire, stunning as the pale moon but running from civilization to inhabit darkened forests. Diverse backgrounds abound, they bond overa desire to flee their pasts, the lawless Stolen Lands offering a place to escape and maybe even a fresh start: for those brave enough to claim it.

Second Chance Links

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285943.0
Battle: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285940.0
General: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285941.0
Main: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285942.0
Side: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285945.0
Roster: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=285944.0
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Roleplay Frog

I'm interested but marginally confused. You said you already, potentially, have people but are looking for more still?

Diabolus Lupus

I haven't played much pathfinder, more of a straight DnD gal, but I wouldn't mind giving this a shot.

Chanticleer

Quote from: Deva on April 01, 2018, 12:49:06 PM
I'm interested but marginally confused. You said you already, potentially, have people but are looking for more still?

This game is the result of a request in the 'Players looking for games' thread, so there are already some interested players. :)

*Raises hand*

Including me. I'll probably have a character tossed up tomorrow, though.
My current O/os (need work)

Roleplay Frog

Oh I see. I've been wanting to do a summoner again. That said, I'm missing creation rules in this thread such as rolling for stats or point buy before even getting started with a character.

persephone325

This doesn't have to end in a fight, Buck.
It always ends in a fight.
You pulled me from the river. Why?
I don't know.
"Don't dwell on those who hold you down. Instead, cherish those who helped you up."

wander

I am still interested and wondering how useful previously discussed Halfling Skald will be to the party.  ;D

Concept was charismatic archer, went with halfling for dem dex and cha bonuses for the concept and Skald for the more martial side of being charismatic.  :-)

Though yes, wander is still interested and still here. ^^ Just don't ask me for a specific amount of words for background and we should be golden going forward. ^^

ThatFantasticBard

I've been pretty interested in Kingmaker for a bit, but I could never find a game that managed to kick off, so I'm definitely going to throw my interest in.

Vergil Tanner

I'm obviously interested! Just let us know the Character Creation rules (Stats, Traits, Starting Level, etc) and I can get my character slammed up after some small fiddling. :D
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

JoanieSappho

Add me into the list of people who always wanted to do Kingmaker but never did.

Chanticleer

After some consideration, I intend to app a Summoner, most likely a bastard of the line of Rogarvia (or so she says). Will probably have something up tomorrow evening.
My current O/os (need work)

Miroque

I would love to play some Kingmaker, if the GM and players are going to stick around, as its not fast paced adventure setting..

*thinks* maybe sorceror-lady or some such for the setting.

Vergil Tanner

I'm definitely joining! I have my character already written up, I just need to plug in the Stats. ^_^

I'm hoping we're allowed to Point Buy, because the Dicebot hates me >.>

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

wander

Just waiting on how to go about character generation and any additional things. I suppose in the meantime I can look up Archetypes and think on which one may fit best to concept. :)

Vergil Tanner

How about a Dragon Skald? They're pretty cool. I would suggest War Drummer, but you're an archer not a melee build, so... XD

wander

Is the Skald's berserker rage even worth it if I keep as an archer, btw?

Vergil Tanner

As far as I can tell, there are bits and pieces that do. But other parts? Not really. You might want to look at the Spell Warrior Archetype to replace Inspired Rage with something you might use. :P

Vergil Tanner

Petrus02

Miroque

I have few more logistic questions about Kingmaker AP, as Iwe been running Kingmaker (within Eberron and with no original material except Kingdom building).

How is the "mapping" of hte frontier being done here, in E? In my campaign, we use roll20 for maps and mapping and I have found it beign very good medium for such.
I have even made tokens (for city building) for Roll20, to make it easier for me and my players, to see how their capital (and in future other cities) will grow.

www.d20pfsrd.com has all the pathfinder rules for free, and you can even find kingdom making rules from there.

And still, Im intrested to play young human sorceress that will want to carve her fortune in the badlands !

Hamadryad

wander

Well, I'm keeping Halfling as my character's race, their main class and archetype I suppose shall depend to fit to concept. I'll look more seriously at what to take for both when character generation starts. :)

TheScarletBlade

Well, It's very interesting to see how much this thread has changed in the short time I was getting back to my lovely, 10 degree mountain. For anyone worried about my lack of existence, I have finally returned. So that leaves me a lovely amount of time on my day off to bring up 3 points of order.

First, the posting requirements. As some people know who were on the original thread that spawned this one, I have been a dungeon master for multiple systems for a little more than a decade. That said, I have never found the time(was deployed alot) or didn't have the willingness to DM on E. Finding myself with a desire to play pathfinder and beautiful, willing partners like you all waiting for someone to start a game, this one was created. That said, as it is my first jaunt with bringing the exciting world of pathfinder to E, I am unsure of the actual standards common for a game like this on E. To this end, I have happily left many of these elements open to the brilliant writers here to sort out or give me suggestions. Personally I am able and willing to write a decent amount. I understand this is not the case of many other interested writers so I hope we could find a responsible way to create a standard for the game.

Second, character generation for the game and those who have asked. Its fairly simple. Everyone starts at level 1 and is a newcomer to the Greenbelt. I have determined that a 20 point buy system would be the easiest manner to create characters. I usually do roll systems in real life but because that can be crappy online, I think the high fantasy setting of 20 points is good enough. As for classes and other things, my only requirement is that it is made by paizo. The rest is up for you to decide. Also, who plays what class is also up to you guys. Your all dead anyways.....I mean you'll all be fine! :P

Lastly, the final point to address is the amount of interest I have received. There is a larger number of interested people than I thought there would be. That said, I have an interesting question for everyone interested in playing: who would be interested in playing a different adventure?  I have relatively little to no obligations here on E for writing. As ambitious as it seems, and I am highly ambitious, if everyone interested in this game so far were to split roughly even, we could craft two different parties of adventurers. I'd be willing and most likely able to DM a second game as well if no one wishes to be excluded. That said, not sure what adventure path that would be or if anyone is even interested in this alternate idea as I've mostly been mulling it over but I hope everyone would at least consider it.

Hope everyone's day is going well,
                                               TSB

PS. Wander,  just take a campaign trait out of the Kingmaker Handbook for your background, copy it verbatim if you want. Frankly with your talent as a writer, I am sure your backstory will craft itself in your writing.
“I fight for the men I have held in my arms, dying on foreign soil. I fight for their wives and children, whose names I heard whispered in their last breath. I fight for we few who did come home, only to find our country full of strangers wearing familiar faces. I fight so that all the fighting I've already done hasn't been for nothing, I fight: because I must.”

TheScarletBlade aka TSB

Vergil Tanner

Awww, only 20? Damn. I was hoping for 25. Ah well! I'll adjust my character, and then whack him up.