Beast: The Primodrial - American Legends (Interest Check, System, all welcome)

Started by eternaldarkness, August 17, 2016, 09:57:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

The Premise: Legendary Monsters
I've been long pondering a game with a theme of terrifying gods or perhaps monsters, and in that vein I am considering running a game of what has quickly become my favorite NWoD game, Beast: The Primordial. So to check for interest - i would like around four to five players interested in making Beast characters whose Horrors are some of the legendary american (North or South) monsters - monsters like the Wendigo, Champ, the Chupacabra, the Jersey Devil, and so on. These Beasts would find themselves in a position that is not entirely familiar to them - each of them has been recruited or captured by a shadowy agency that wants to enlist them as a sort of supernatural 'suicide squad' charged with combatting other monsters while dealing with their own problems. Players are welcome to put their own spin on the legends or even create new ones whole cloth that. Get creative with them.

These would be experienced (60-100 XP) beasts with SERIOUS power and powerful legends. I want characters that are powerful and potent because Play by Post games can take a long time to get rolling and thus characters often can take a long time to get to the point where they are really potent, so this time i'm starting the characters off right where I want them to be. With such large XP counts, it is guaranteed that eventually you'll run out of reasonable things to spend the XP on. To that end, i do allow custom or homebrewed Atavisms and Nightmares, and i encourage players to come up with them or ask me for help and i'll help come up with them.

I am also willing to allow one Hunter PC to act as the Beasts' 'handler'.

Smut
The smut level of the game depends on the players - i am perfectly fine with any amount (And i think it would be pretty interesting, actually, given that these are legendary monsters) but again that is up to the players.

Changes
I will be making some slight alterations to the default assumptions and rules of Beast, outlined here:
1. Beasts and Heroes tend to produce children who are themselves beasts or heroes, and the offspring of a Beast will always have some supernatural attributes (though they may just be mortal psychics).

2. When Beasts use Atavisms the effects are a good deal more visible and dramatic even to mere mortals - they visibly manifest claws, massive tentacles, and other features representative of their atavisms while the atavisms are active.

3. Beasts live an extra 50 years per dot of Lair they possess. At Lair 10, the beast is immortal unless killed.

The System
The system in use is New World of Darkness 2.0 (Also known as the God Machine Chronicles and Chronicles of Darkness) with the Beast: The Primordial book as a character resource.

Interest
Interested parties, feel free to throw out questions, ideas, and character concepts here and if i get enough interest i'll get it rolling. I'm looking forward to seeing what you clever Elliquians come up with.

ShadowFox89

Damnit man.... you know I gotta get in on this. Especially since the college semester is over and I have a few weeks to work on characters. There's the temptation to make an Ugallu Nemeses.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

eternaldarkness

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on August 18, 2016, 03:54:18 AM
Damnit man.... you know I gotta get in on this. Especially since the college semester is over and I have a few weeks to work on characters. There's the temptation to make an Ugallu Nemeses.

Have at it. If I get 3, I'll start.

yesiroleplay

bookmarking, though this would be a challenge as my only experience with N/WoD is Scion...

eternaldarkness

Quote from: yesiroleplay on August 18, 2016, 07:30:36 AM
bookmarking, though this would be a challenge as my only experience with N/WoD is Scion...

I'll be happy to help you with the mechanics and character creation process. Deciding on your basic character idea is the first step - pick a monster, design your human side, come up with a bit of history keeping in mind what is widely believed may not be true. You can also work with other players to come up with connections - Beasts are very social, and they are often close allies with other supernaturals as well.

I'll put up my example character - the Jersey Devil (one of many, actually) after work.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Nekos

I would love to play in this.  Have had the book since the KS and haven't gotten to play in a game so super excited!
I really need to finish my O/o Screen, but until that point, here is my f-list page that has most of the stuff for it: https://www.f-list.net/c/nekosluagh

eternaldarkness

That makes three potentials, plus myself. This game is a go.

Further information: I'll be doing this game in episodes, so that if someone needs to drop it won't be a problem. Generally an episode will focus on one monster/problem/location, and they'll be pretty fast-paced so the game won't drag (slow story is a Major game killer in pbp).

Juggtacular

eternaldarkness

My sample character. Note that I have not defined his Lair traits or Kinships yet - that's something all the characters will do together, and they'll gain kinships as the game progresses.

Michael Hayes - The Jersey Devil

Family: Eshmaki
Hunger: Hunger for Punishment

Aspirations
-Long-Term: Combat the Pure Tribes wherever he finds them.
-Short-Term 1: None
-Episode Aspiration: Varies by Episode

Life: Parental
Legend: Relentless

Description: Five feet ten inches tall with light brown eyes that carry undertones of red even in his human form, Michael hayes is a handsome and almost babyfaced african-american man man in his early 30's. His Horror is an ancient red-scaled dragon called Ormr, a massive, fire-breathing monster who hungers for the pain and lesh of those who prey upon the weak and helpless.
Human and Horror

History: Those who live in and near the Pine Barrens of New Jersey know the legend of the Jersey Devil, a winged monster that stalks the barrens terrifying all who encounter it. The truth is that Michael Hayes is only the latest in a long line of individuals to claim the name and legend of the Jersey Devil, having inherited the title from his distant Pure werewolf kin when he was nineteen years old. Mike is a former soldier who enlisted in the United States Army shortly after his rebirth as a Beast and the bestowing of the Jersey Devil title due to a (violent) disagreement. He (and his horror) preferred to punish the truly guilty and wicked rather than terrorizing innocent people in a pointless conflict with the Forsaken, and he is now considered an enemy of the Pure tribes werewolves whom he waged a bloody one-man guerilla war on for nearly ten years before he was tracked down by VASCU (the Vanguard Anti Serial Crimes Unit) and offered a chance to combat even worse monsters in exchange for their help in relocating numerous wolf-blooded family members of the pure and their relatives. Due to his military background and disciplined nature, Hayes was an ideal recruit and has since been instrumental in assisting VASCU and the FBI in locating and recruiting other beasts and supernatural beings for their cause.

Attributes
Intelligence 2
Wits 3
Resolve 3

Strength 2
Dexterity 3 (4 Experiences)
Stamina 3

Presence 3 (4 Experiences)
Manipulation 2
Composure 3 (4 Experiences)

Skills
Mental (-3 unskilled)
Academics 1
Computer
Crafts
Investigation 2 (Crime Scenes)
Medicine 1 (2 experiences)
Occult 1
Politics 1
Science 1 (2 experiences)
Technology
Theology

Physical (-1 unskilled)
Athletics 3 (2 experiences)
Brawl 2 (Outnumbered)
Drive 1 (2 Experiences)
Firearms 2 (Rifle) (1 Experiences)
Larceny 0
Stealth 3 (1 Experiences)
Survival 2 (Tracking)
Weaponry 1

Social (-1 unskilled)
Animal Ken 1
Empathy 2
Expression
Intimidation 3 (4 Experiences)
Persuasion 2
Socialize
Streetwise
Subterfuge 1

Merits
Direction Sense 1
Direction Sense (Advanced) 2
Status (FBI) 1
Status (U.S. Marshals) 2
Striking Looks (1)
Style: Firefight 2
Style: Close Combat 2

Lair: 3 (10 Experiences)

Satiety: 7

Health: 8

Willpower: 6

Atavisms
Dragonfire
From the Shadows
Limb from Limb (3 experiences)
Needs Must (4 Experiences)
Relentless Hunter (3 experiences)
Unbreakable (4 experiences)
Wings of the Raptor (4 experiences)

Nightmares
You Deserve This
You Must Obey
Your Rage Consumes You (Werewolf Kinship) (3 Experiences)

Size: 5
Speed: 10
Defense: 6
Armor: 3/2
Initiative Mod: 6
Beats: 0
Experiences: 0/60

Nekos

I will write mine up tonight or tomorrow morning.  I am going to play Lucia Garcia - Chupacabra.

I really need to finish my O/o Screen, but until that point, here is my f-list page that has most of the stuff for it: https://www.f-list.net/c/nekosluagh

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Nekos on August 18, 2016, 06:59:13 PM
I will write mine up tonight or tomorrow morning.  I am going to play Lucia Garcia - Chupacabra.

The goatsucker cometh! I'm looking forward to seeing your take on the legendary chupacabra.

yesiroleplay

Quote from: eternaldarkness on August 18, 2016, 09:38:36 AM
I'll be happy to help you with the mechanics and character creation process. Deciding on your basic character idea is the first step - pick a monster, design your human side, come up with a bit of history keeping in mind what is widely believed may not be true. You can also work with other players to come up with connections - Beasts are very social, and they are often close allies with other supernaturals as well.

I'll put up my example character - the Jersey Devil (one of many, actually) after work.
Thanks ED. 
I'm thinking to play the Uktena, a fifty-foot long horned snake.  Not sure how a human aspect of something that big would work, but I guess you don't have to explain it if it's magic, right?

In most versions/stories the powers of the Uktena are related to water, rain, storms, lightning and/or thunder, disease, and rainbows.

Probably the best description of the Ukena is on Wikipedia:
Quote from: wikipediaAmong Cherokee people, a Horned Serpent is called an uktena. Anthropologist James Mooney, describes the creature:

Those who know say the Uktena is a great snake, as large around as a tree trunk, with horns on its head, and a bright blazing crest like a diamond on its forehead, and scales glowing like sparks of fire. It has rings or spots of color along its whole length, and can not be wounded except by shooting in the seventh spot from the head, because under this spot are its heart and its life. The blazing diamond is called Ulun'suti—"Transparent"—and he who can win it may become the greatest wonder worker of the tribe. But it is worth a man's life to attempt it, for whoever is seen by the Uktena is so dazed by the bright light that he runs toward the snake instead of trying to escape. As if this were not enough, the breath of the Uktena is so pestilential, that no living creature can survive should they inhale the tiniest bit of the foul air expelled by the Uktena. Even to see the Uktena asleep is death, not to the hunter himself, but to his family.

eternaldarkness

Quote from: yesiroleplay on August 18, 2016, 07:42:54 PM
Thanks ED. 
I'm thinking to play the Uktena, a fifty-foot long horned snake.  Not sure how a human aspect of something that big would work, but I guess you don't have to explain it if it's magic, right?

In most versions/stories the powers of the Uktena are related to water, rain, storms, lightning and/or thunder, disease, and rainbows.

Probably the best description of the Ukena is on Wikipedia:

That's exactly the kind of thing I was going for. As for human form, Beasts look (and mostly are) perfectly human unless they're using their Atavisms or are within the Primordial Dream/some other world, so pick an actor or actress you like and go with it!

eternaldarkness

Some things to consider for those of you formulating characters:

-The agency recruiting Beasts into this special unit is the Vanguard Serial Crimes Unit (VASCU) an FBI unit that specializes in locating and eliminating or prosecuting unusual (read: supernatural) killers and other threats. They themselves seem to have supernatural abilities of some kind. They use those abilities along with mundane investigative techniques to locate and recruit supernatural beings to assist with their investigations and prefer to bring them into the fold willingly. They generally do so by offering to assist with problems the supernatural being has through legal means, and they are very good at it. Decide how they got your character to sign on, and keep in mind that they are able to provide advanced training in all the necessary skills to be an effective investigator and get recruits any legal credentials they need to perform their jobs with minimal legal hassle.

-They like recruiting Beasts especially because they have a rare combination of personal power necessary to handle other supers and an understanding of the human condition that many others lack along with abilities that allow them to more easily deal peacefully with potential threats. They are not secretly evil; they are agents trying to do a difficult and dangerous job.

LordRod

Glory is being Great and being Useful - Simon Bolivar

Because its There - Sir Edmund Hillary

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

On and Offs - https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=265306.0

eternaldarkness

Quote from: LordRod on August 19, 2016, 11:07:15 AM
This looks SERIOUSLY cool.

Would you allow something Lovecraftian?

Did you not see my name? Not only do I allow it, I encourage it.

Edit: and since I'm getting WAY more interest than I dared hope, PLEASE state interest if you are interested! The episodic nature of the game makes it very easy to handle large groups since not everyone needs to be in every episode.

eternaldarkness

And here's a great link with more information about VASCU, which any character with the right status, contacts, or skills could easily learn: http://whitewolf.wikia.com/wiki/Vanguard_Serial_Crimes_Unit

LordRod

Yes. I am interested. I want to do the King in Yellow but need to buy and read the game to know if that is feasible.

Other monsters in mythos will be done if it doesn't feel like I can do that one the way I like.

"The Lord of the Mans of Rod" - Me, spelling everything write and still getting the sentence wrong.

VioletPanda

I'm of course,  just cementing my interest here :)

I was going to go with an Eshmaki with a Hunger for punishment. Based on the Red or Blue Paper enitity from Japanese myth. With so many immigrants that came to the US over time, seems like there'd be an American one,  or something like it. Should have my sheet later today!
Current Muse: Meh, not super driven right now

My A/A PageMy O/Os

eternaldarkness

Quote from: LordRod on August 19, 2016, 01:08:38 PM
Yes. I am interested. I want to do the King in Yellow but need to buy and read the game to know if that is feasible.

Other monsters in mythos will be done if it doesn't feel like I can do that one the way I like.

As it happens I have an antagonist in mind I'm going to post up as an example that should help you get the feel of an Eldritch horror kind of Beast. I'll get it up along with some other antagonists after work.

Quote from: VioletPanda on August 19, 2016, 02:11:36 PM
I'm of course,  just cementing my interest here :)

I was going to go with an Eshmaki with a Hunger for punishment. Based on the Red or Blue Paper enitity from Japanese myth. With so many immigrants that came to the US over time, seems like there'd be an American one,  or something like it. Should have my sheet later today!

You are certainly welcome to join <3

LordRod

TheGlyphstone

Would a/the Headless Horseman be eligible for a Horror? The concept itself predates the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, but that's the version of the creature that everyone remembers, and it's become a pervasive archetype in horror.

Jaded

I'd be interested if there is still room, though I would need to dig out my book before I could say as what. 

eternaldarkness

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on August 19, 2016, 06:44:12 PM
Would a/the Headless Horseman be eligible for a Horror? The concept itself predates the Legend of Sleepy Hollow, but that's the version of the creature that everyone remembers, and it's become a pervasive archetype in horror.

Absolutely! I'd love to see someone pull this one off.

Quote from: Jaded on August 19, 2016, 07:05:18 PM
I'd be interested if there is still room, though I would need to dig out my book before I could say as what. 

Plenty. As previously stated, the episodic nature makes a larger group doable. and this is my only game, so i can pay all the attention to it.