News:

Main Menu

I feel lost...

Started by Lady Avacyn, October 26, 2018, 09:02:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Avacyn

So the title pretty much says it. I feel like I've lost all creativity, as far as my writing and character building.
While I've never been a very great writer, RP has always been a joy for me. Unfortunately I find more and more that while I may have an enjoyable start to a story, it appears that I quickly lose interest.
Now I know this bugs me, and I'm certain it can't be desirable to any writing partner I may find, that I so quickly lose my muse for whatever story plan we come up with. 

Is it just writer's block? Or am truly losing my creativity? Can anyone help me?

TheLionKing

For sure writer's block. It can strike at the most annoying times. One day you seem to be belting out posts like a newspaper printer and then one day you find yourself out of ink and perhaps you feel jammed up. You try to think of exciting ideas to spice things up to get that funky flow back and it backfires like a Jaws sequel. The only thing I can recommend is just keep writing, even if you think it is complete rubbish. No writing is exactly trash just a stepping stone for greater things. Who knows maybe a small bit of your writing during this dull time will actually turn into an idea later. Not everything in an artist's portfolio is a Mona Lisa, but it shows growth no matter how small. You'll give over the hump. Just takes time.

Lady Avacyn

Thanks. This slump has been for a few years. I can come up with great and fun characters, that I can create a decent backstory for. The unfortunate thing is that as smooth as it all flows in my head, it never works on paper... or the computer screen.

What kills me most is that as colorful and fleshed out as my characters are in my head they never come across that way in the rp. Or they get lost, their story and ambitions get thrown to the side for whatever reason.

Nico

I have those moments now and then.

What usually helps me, is just focusing on my writing. Not on what others want. Not what others might expect from a character. Just on what I want the character to be.

Admitted, it's been quite the long process for me to get there, but since then, it's gotten a lot easier to just do my thing with a character.

Lady Avacyn

Thanks Nico. I think I'll try that. Here's hoping that I get a chance to work with them.

By the way I love your avi Nico.