D&D 5th Edition - Dark Lands IC Thread

Started by eternaldarkness, January 05, 2015, 05:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eternaldarkness

In the far east, beyond the forbidding Demonspine Mountains lies the land of Eden, said to be the source of all life and the place from which mortal races and monsters originally sprang. For the past two years a strange delirium has gripped all the lands west of Eden, and many people have been driven made by the dark dreams which urge those afflicted to travel east, seeking something they cannot name but know that they must acquire. At the same time, monsters have flowed out of this forbidding eastern land to ravage the other countries, seeming to spread a foul taint of madness in their wake that affects all living things and even warps the land itself. Noone knows what causes this terrifying curse, and even the gods have ceased to speak to their faithful, but everyone knows that the answer to this curse lies in Eden, and so like many others you have been drawn to that land, braving the dangers of the monster-infested lands along the way and crossing the Demonspines to reach the bed of life. Now you have arrived in the forest-shrouded town of Antioch, where a few other brave travelers, and the usual residents of the forest town, have gathered. You know that you cannot go back west, for there is only chaos and death to be found there, and now as you sit in Engla's Hearth, the towns sole tavern with other sullen wanderers drawn by the curse, you must decide: What will you do next?

As always, Englas Hearth was busy. Being the more popular of the towns two taverns and the one most welcoming to adventurers and other non-locals, it did a brisk business, and today the proprietor - an older human woman and a retired adventurer herself, Engla was behind the bar, serving patrons their drinks and looking worried whilst her bouncer and assistant, a huge and rather handsome half-orc named Aengus sat on a barstool, trying to cheer her up.

"He'll turn up before long, Engla. August knows his way around th' forest better'n anyone. He's probably just gone t' brood like he always does, or more likely knowin' him he's found himself an elf maid an' isnae in a hurry t' come back anytime soon."

That did nothing to improve the old adventurers mood. Engla's son had gone into the duskwood three days ago to see why the nearby elven village had gone silent, and had yet to return, nor had any of the elves been seen since - not that anyone dared walked the forests. It took everyone in town being on a constant vigil to keep the old adventurer from going to look for her son herself, and everyone who set foot in her tavern was immediately asked if they'd seen him.

A bard is playing, and the low murmur of conversation fills the room while the drink flows. make your entrances, pc's

LuciferOs

Enna was used to the luxurys of being born noble and although her horse, Nina, was well trained and behaved beautifully it didn't stop the pains of being new to riding dominating her mind. Enna was thankful to be stopping at last and so did her horse Nina. After giving the stable boy some coppers to take care of Nina, Enna stretched and admired the sky.

"Mitlophen swella" The high elf muttered. A elvish comment that roughly translated to "long journeys rest", before walking to a well nearby and refilling her water skins. Meanwhile Nina was ushered into the stables where she immediately drank deeply from the water trough. Minutes later, on entering the tavern, the elf mage looked around carefully. Other adventurers mainly, who have noticed the changes and were not happy to sit back and let others fathom its mysteries.

"Olleyah Rembreth" Enna murmured, meaning Im not alone

Enna needed allies, her elven background did provide her with skills with the sword at her hip as well as with the bow but that was nothing compared to a proper armored warrior and companions. Most of her spells were support spells, specialized in helping strange circumstances life through ones way, not war. And whatever strange forces were lurking in Eden, Enna felt it would require everything a group could manage, perhaps that wasn't enough, but then fate was like that.

The mage placed yet a few more coppers on the bar, and nodded her head towards Engla when she was finished attending other customers

"For any Fruit-drink you have for a parched throat my good patron" The elf nodded to her coins.

"I couldn't help but overhear your missing someone called August. If you can tell me what he looks like and where you best think he is, I may have cause to inquire after him, loosing close ones is something that hasn't happened to me yet, but I do want to help those who find destiny has dealt them such harsh cards. If you can provide me with a map it would help your chances, a good map of these parts would be highly useful, and would be payment enough for my help. Give me a chance to find others willing to join me and you may get your wish. "
That's right ! Lucifer is a woman !
Active threads
See my role play preferences (underneath my picture) for my ons and offs

Stephie613

“I can’t believe you just did that! AGAIN!” a human male said as he ran down the street slightly behind a cloaked figure that seemed to be beating her own path as she ran down alleyways and dodged in and out of darkness muttering “nope” as she passed each new door. Finally, she rounded the corner and spotted the tavern, exclaiming a loud “Yes!” to her partner before settling down to a normal pace as she headed toward the door. “Of course I did it again” she finally replied once she was halfway through the doorway, “He was unfortunate looking.” The man, who was actually winded, placed his hands on his knees just inside the doorway, gasping out his sentence to her as she looked around. “Unfortunate looking? He’s rich, Dessa. It doesn’t matter if he looks like the backside of a hobgoblin with those earrings he was trying to give you.” The girl, who was much shorter than he huffed, throwing the hood of her cloak back as she plopped down at a table and ordered them both a drink. “Do I look like I need earrings that big? I only would have need of them if I actually courted him. One would need earrings that big to stifle the sound of his mindless prattle. Every single time he opened his mouth, I wanted to stuff one of my socks in there to make the atrocious sound stop!”

The human tried to hold back a grin, feigning upset. “I suppose it’s for the better. I thought your cousin was going to blow a gasket that your father sent yet another man to try and win your finicky heart.” She clapped a tattooed hand over her heart, dramatically acting wounded. “Faeron, you wound my heart! Finicky? Me?  Hardly. I just have standards unlike many women in this place.”

With a glance around the room, the girl’s eyes fell on those talking at the bar and she took a moment’s pause. “You know, they’re going to come looking for you, and I don’t want to be here when they do.” The man called Faeron said. Interrupting her thoughts. She gave him what could only be described as a dismissal wave, “Fine, go home then. That way you can honestly say you are not with me. I’ll see you tomorrow. I think I may stay in the inn tonight.” She then grinned, “I wonder how long it will take that baffoon to realize that I’m not in the bathroom.” Faeron shrugged, “My guess would be a longer time than it will take Darius. Farewell, Dessa.” He then stood and made his way back to the door, looking back and her and shaking his head in exasperation before making his way back onto the street.

All things considered the half-elf that was left sitting alone at the table looked fairly common save for the sizable signet ring on her finger. Long white hair was tied up in a messy bun at the base of her neck, and a bit of dirt was present on the back of her wrists. She looked almost as if she were trying to impersonate nobility in a way, but the way she carried herself even without meaning to said otherwise. With a wave to a server she ordered a drink, sitting back in her chair with a satisfied grin and muttered to herself. “I’ll get married when I’m dead.”

eternaldarkness

Engla was just opening her mouth again to start in on Aengus yet again in giving the many reasons why both she and every able-bodied person in the town should be out looking for her missing son, when Enna made her offer and the aging tavernkeeper looked her over, frowning slightly "See? Someone at least is willing to go and look after my baby boy." the worry was plain in her voice.

Aengus groaned at that. "August isnae a baby, Engla. He's a man of nearly twenty-five years, an' he knows how t' handle himself. But if ye insist on talkin' people intae goin' out there, m' gonna tag along an' make sure nobody else gets killed tryin' tae calm yer worries."

About then was when Iryadessa came in with her sidekick, and Engla shook her head at the two, managing to smile a little at them even as upset and worried as she was.

"Dezzy, if you keep up the way you're going you may well get your wish, and I bet you won't like it as much as you think. It's like my mother used to tell me - there's plenty of things worse than being single, but nothing worse than being lonely. Choose a nice young man and quit fighting happiness, you silly girl. Goodness knows you've got your pick of them. And let me just say, it won't break my heart if you happen to fall for my hardheaded son."

And that got her worried about the missing August all over again. "Speaking of...have you seen August out in your wanderings, Dezzy? Or maybe one of the elves from the village who might have caught sight of him?"

Stephie613

She grimaced and stood, taking both the drink she had ordered for Faeron, and the one she was drinking herself and heading to the bar, leaning over it and kissing the old adventurer's cheek before settling herself on a stool. "Posh, Auntie. I will never be lonely. I will always have you and your fine drink to keep me company. It has neither a penis to annoy me with or a tongue to wag." She took another sip and then cocked her head to the side, "Is he still courting what's her face? If he's still with that crazy biddy then I'm sure the only trouble he's in is tied to her bed in the enclave." She giggled for a moment, "But no, I haven't seen him in a time, then again, I've been sequestered a lot lately for my last disappearing act."

Placing the drink on the bar, she reached out and took the woman's hand, who despite very different lineage, she considered more of an Aunt than those with her own blood, "We'll find him. Worry not though, I'm sure he's fine. I'll go with Aengus and the lady to look for him. I'm telling you though, don't expect me to drag him back if he's somewhere blissfully happy."

RubySlippers

Emma Moon comes in her ma gone with the last caravan, well they had a couple whores so one more wasn't bad to add on, and they were heading to join an army and now she is thinking she should have left and not stayed in this place. Business has been slow she isn't opposed to thieving but won't steal seriously from locals, the caravan travel is down so can't rob them and the mountain men are not due down for a few months. So is not in the best shape with coin.

Walking in she peace bonds her sword and most of locals know their pouches are safe not the new people, whom she is eying over to see who might be worth lifting the purse of then seeing the bouncer nods she won't do so in here, but outside they are fair game, and no one will stay here forever in the building.

Sitting down she moves her Lyre-guitar around and is by the elven woman and takes in the news then speaks to the bartender. I would like a local ale, and some food a chunk of beef rib and whatever the soup is with some bread and an apple cut up. I need to find some money damned trade route is sealing up tighter than a scared virgins quim. Bad for my purse. But don't worry I'll be a good girl.

She strums her instrument an elven instrumental piece not knowing the language kind of quietly not to offend the performing bard not thinking likely with the elven woman there its just natural to play it.

Kuroshu

Two human men walk down from the eastern road. One dressed like a soldier and the other in an adventurer's clothes.
"Sir are you sure?" the soldier asked.
"Of course," He placed his hand on the soldier's shoulder, "take care of things while I'm away."
"Yes sir." The Soldier lowers his head and turns back east.
Left alone in front of the tavern the adventurer makes his way inside. Opening the doors was greeted with laugher and merriment of some patrions. He spots an empty stool and sits on it. He says does nothing but watched the tavern with a smile on his face.

eternaldarkness

Engla smiled at Emma when she came in, and had a tall, foaming mug of ale set on the bar before she even reached it. "Good eve, Emma. Is your mother safely away on the caravan?"

And then someone Engla didn't recognize - a human man she knew was Shou instantly by his dress and mannerisms, and a shou military officer at that - entered her tavern and sat at the bar, and as always she greeted the newcomer warmly "Welcome to Antioch. You are a long way from home indeed, samurai."

Aengus nodded his agreement with her from his own barstool "We dinnae see many of yer kind in these parts, an' i'm guessin' if ye've come here ye have nae a lord. Lord Darius, the ruler'a this land, would probably hire ye t' do knights work."

Kuroshu

Shu bowed his head, "Indeed I am, if what you call the land I was given birth to my home," he takes out a small letter and stares at it for a moment, "But home to me is with the people who served me and my family."
Tucking away the letter he looks at man who told him of the Lord, "I will not swear my blade to him, He has yet proven himself. I however will take the work if it is just."

RubySlippers

"Might this Lord need a scoundrels work I'm loyal as long as the reward is good and the risk acceptable, and it would get me out of this dump of an inn.," Emma said smiling with a wink at the owner her orcish teeth showing a bit.

"Anyway while your being all honorable in any fighting I won't we could make a nice team if in the same mercenary band, this fired from behind at close range can be most effective.," she takes out an unloaded hand crossbow pretending to shoot it not at anyone then returns to her meal when it arrives.

Her table manners have a lot to be desired as she tears her sharp teeth into a beef rib after paying her coin with a girlish snort well half-orcs might appreciate her more than a human at that.

BlueBeetle

Quietly, a tall, hooded man stepped into the tavern. His robes hung over him, cloaking a body covered hand and foot with cloth wrappings. His face was covered in a dark shade beneath his hood, the only features peering from within being his glowing red eyes and the bridge of a blood-red nose. Slowly, quietly, he stepped forward, ignoring the chatter of those around him, distinctly aware of the eyes that followed him, the people scowling at him from the corners of the room, the way some patrons stooped closer to their bowls of stew, as if he were interested in stealing from them.

At the counter, the stranger gently placed a gold coin down, whispering oddly that he'd like a flagon of ale and a hot bowl of stew to be taken outdoors. "If you'd be so kind."

LuciferOs

Lady Enna wasn't used to be ignored, but it seemed the barkeeper was occupied with juggling many things, and this half-elf with strange symbols over her body was familiar to the barkeeper, it made sense she would be the center of focus, especially if Engla was hoping she would marry her missing son.

If Enna couldn't get her hands on a map, the only option left was explicit directions, or someone with her that knew the local area. The mage noticed a few more entering the tavern and was quietly impressed. There was more than enough would be heros to take on a search for a missing person.

Enna waited until the banter died down and then approached the patron again, Engla, apparently.

"Mss Engla, I am sorry I didn't introduce myself properly. Im Lady Enna Siannodel of Larona" The elf said in perfect common while flashing her signet ring, accompanied with a curtsy. Perhaps the patron would recognize the Larona symbol from its well known apothecary exports.

"I feel that many are here are itching for an opportunity to change matters for the better, and maybe company also after the long journeys many seem to have had to find themselves here. Perhaps if you make a public announcement about your missing son, and offer what you can in exchange for help, a group would rally, we all have our prices, but what you can offer, no matter how humble, may be good enough. I certainly would join the effort and many others are better than I"
Active threads

Kuroshu

"Would I then expect you to do the same if we are not in the same band?" He asked the orc, "with out honor words would be as useless as paper with no writing on it."

He watches the orc eat, and a small grin formed followed by a short chuckle. His expression however changed quickly at the mention of a missing son. "Where was this boy last seen or heading?" He asked, already preparing to depart.

BlueBeetle

The robed man watched carefully as an elf woman approached the bar, speaking in loud, clear tones. Eyeing the signet ring on her finger carefully, he fingered the gold coin on the table cautiously. Her manner was something wholly foreign to him, and he immediately took an interest in the figure, not because he thought she was anything impressive--despite the smell of magic on her--but because he couldn't fathom why any stranger would want to flaunt her identity or status in such a place as this. He seemed to retreat into his hood even further, casting a doubtful glance about the place.

RubySlippers

"I'm a quarter orc my papa is a mountain man knows lots of elves and other folk, my mama was a whore who he kept a winter and became habit she came back with me growing in her belly. (belch) That's why I'm so pretty. As for killing someone I do business with I don't shit where I sleep that is why the good folks here that live in the village don't mind me I won't steal anything valuable or hurt them without cause, they don't give me cause. Even if the pay is good. (chomp, rip, chew, belch). You are likely higher born than me but how many battles or wars were ended by a blade in the dark not armies or bands of heroes just one scoundrel with guts to go for it. Your lands must have scoundrels they are everywhere.," she says.

She drinks some ale.

"But if not together and I was ordered to gut you, I would do it, likely when you were not in armor and near a weapons being asleep preferable to you awake, your likely good at fighting fair, so take your advantage away but fighting as unfair as possible in fact elven folk don't defend their homes fair. In fact the more unfair the fight on my side the better. Let me ask if you had a choice as a commander if you could fire arrows from strong cover or charge out with blades and fight in close combat, which would you do if the former has the far less risk to your men and women? I would use the archers. So is a scoundrel with a short sword killing the commander of the enemy preventing either of those not the best option risking one life over say a hundred.," Emma asked she has a brain in her head after all.

Kuroshu

"If one kill can solve the issue then I would have challenged them to a fight, the army of who ever falls will surrender." He answered, "Giving that warrior a warriors death is how I will honor him. Both of our methods only take one life yet one can be said as honorable while the other not." He fixes his luggage, "And excuse my previous reaction to your manner of eating. It's just that," he paused for a moment to watch her again, "you are not afraid to be your self with out care that it's refreshing to see." He bows his head slightly, "I do mean that as a compliment."

Stephie613

Looking the ones that gathered at the bar around the upset Engla, Dessa was growing rather bored rather quickly. They all seemed like adventurers that she had seen many of before passing through, and she figured they would be gone at tops by a year's end so she doubted she would be making many friends tonight in this group. Instead of making a big deal out of it though, she simply sat quietly, sipped and listened. She had to give the lady from Lerona some props though, she was rightr, everyone did have a price. Dessa's price was just the happiness of her adopted auntie and cousin along with a strong mug of drink. She may not have looked like it from a first glance, but Dessa had money and the ability to get nearly anything she desired.

None of that mattered right now though, someone that she was fairly close to was missing. 

Finally finishing her drink, she started on the second one before her that had been ordered for her friend and looked over the others for a longer time before letting her gaze wander over Aengus. He was pretty handsome for an orc, and freakin' huge to boot, she decided then that he could definitely stay in her tent anytime he wanted to but she never would be able to promise him actual sleep. That thought amused her enough for her to grin to herself as she looked around at the others one by one, truthfully she wouldn't kick any of them out of bed either, but that simply wasn't polite conversation to tell them in public either.

eternaldarkness

Engla's mind was quite made up "Well then, all there's left to do is get out there and find my August! he was supposed to be going to the elves' village just a few miles into the duskwood, near the Garden of Nessine, but he isn't back yet. I don't have much to offer as a reward, though.." the woman frowned, and Aengus piped up "reward or nae, i'll go an' look for august, darlin'. Won't get any peace 'til I do anyhow."

And with that, the gigantic half-orc went behind the bar and reached under, rattling around for a moment before coming back from behind it with a concave, circular steel shield and a few javelins, along with a leather harness that he strapped them into..

"I'm goin' now, it'll be easier t' move quiet in th' dark. Anyone's comin' along, i'm not fer waitin'."

The sun was setting outside, for all that it mattered in the gloom-shrouded Antioch.

Kuroshu

"Of course," He picks up his bags, "I need no reward, your gratitude is enough." He bows his head then makes his way out of the tavern to wait for the half orc and who ever decides to come.

While waiting he Whistles loudly, a short distance from the tavern two horses pulling a wagon trots towards the Tavern.

LuciferOs

"That's the spirit Engla !" The high elf sighed "Ask and you shall recieve ! Well sometimes anyway"

"I will definitely help too"

A human wearing leather armor and two scimitars seemed to pipe up at the request also, he moved like a swordsman and was whistling, a good sign. Something active to do admist the dispair of growing unease.

Enna immediately went to her horse, mounted it then looked about for Aengus and the leather-clad swordsman, The elf's darkvison helped at night, keeping up with them on a horseback should be easy. The half-orc didn't ask questions, seemed to know what this August looked like, and where the location was. Following him sounded like the best plan.

"Sorry for the short rest Nina" the elf patted the side of her Horses neck once they were in motion "I will promise to get you apples at the next opportunity"
Active threads

Stephie613

She sighed, downing the last bit of her drink before standing.
"We'll be back soon, Auntie. Oh, and if Darius comes looking for me? I wasn't here and I definitely am not going on an adventure. Tell him I...went across the border to catch a fish or something" she said with a grin before heading toward the door.

Once outside, she looked around. She hadn't ridden her horse here and there wasn't exactly time to go get it either. "Well, this should be an adventure" she said to no one in particular before heading into the shadow of an alleyway nearby and waiting for the perfect moment.

Kuroshu

He hops onto the wagon and takes the reins and looks at the Half Elf, "If you need a ride I have some room," He points at the back of the wagon, "i don't mind." He smiles at the elf and waits for an answer.

RubySlippers

Emma looks at the tavern mistress and says plainly ,"I don't work for free, I know your not wealthy I'll go for a really awesome meal, hot bath and a room. I'm good and have ample skills I might be of use. Deal lady?"

Its the local deal she is not a complete bitch but can't just work for free it would be to her - offensive.

eternaldarkness

Engla smiled at Emma "It's not like I charge anyone much anyhow, hah. Now you kids be careful, and please find my august. "

And then their expedition was cut short as a cry rose up outside "To arms! To arms! The town is under attack! man the walls!"

RubySlippers

"What the hell is going on now!," Emma says and thankfully always is armed and has her leathers on but is no warrior. Still its HER HOME and no one attacks HER HOME but her.

"We have terms lady, I'll take that earlier smile as a yes. Now we have killing to do.," she heads out to see what is going on and whether she may need to run or not. She gets her pack on just in case.