News:

Main Menu

Holiday Giving ...

Started by Trieste, November 19, 2008, 07:12:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

As some of you well know, I give blood fairly regularly, so it should come as no surprise to y'all that I'm about to shamefullylessly plug it. If you've got a minute or two this season, do it. Even if you aren't a regular donor - and you don't have to be! - you should run down and give a pint.

Don't make me have wasted my time painstakingly touch-typing this for nothing! *shakes fist*

leelan

I used to give blood until I had this horrible experience (wont go into details I don't want to scare people off) then I had like...well I think it was a panic attack but the hospital says it was a minor heart attack and now i'm told I can't give blood. But yeah definitely anyone who can do it should. It really doesn't hurt that much and helps a lot of people!!
-Je suis belle, incroyable, sexy et un esclave. Je suis ce que vous désirez et vous le savez.-

Bliss

Right, it's that time, and it's been over a year since I did my nose, so I can do it! Yay!
O/O ~ Wiki ~ A/A ~ Discord: Bliss#0337
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Trieste

Yeah, some health issues prevent it, I know someone who has been out of the country too much to do it.

Bliss, you should do it prior to the tongue piercing. *nodnodnod*

Bliss

Apparently I can still do it after, since it's going to be done by a professional who has been certified by the health department.

This was not the case with my nose. >.>
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Trieste

Unless they have updated their requirements since I last looked, it's a year after every tattoo and piercing in case of Hep C contamination, professional or no.

Which they could well have done, I'm just saying you should double make sure.

Caity

I can't give blood.. (fail again)... My veins are too hard to find, and when they are found, they're nearly impossible to get anything out of.  My mom's and son's are the same way.  I tried to give blood in high school and after trying for a while, they told me that it wouldn't be worth it.  

Even when I HAVE to get blood taken, they have to dig and dig before they get it.  Ironic, considering I have no fear of needles or blood or having blood drawn.  

Bliss

They must have; they called me mid-winter last year looking for a donation, and I told them about the piercing, and she said as long as it was done professionally it was no problem... but it wasn't, and therefore it was.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Will

I've given blood (semi)regularly for some time now.  It would be pretty hard to forget about it, because as a repeat donor, they send me fliers and occasionally call me to let me know when there's going to be a drive.  I hate needles, but as long as I look away, it's fine.  It really barely even hurts.  Plus, I get a new shirt and hat just about every time, and cookies and coke.  I'm actually wearing a Red Cross hat right now! :D  So yeah, what Trieste said.

GIVE BLOOD!  PLEASE!
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

leelan

For those who are unsure if they should or if it would make a difference...I'm b- blood. Last time I went to the hospital I didn't need it but I just asked and they said that they hadn't had any of that type in months and we were lucky we could take O. Imagine how hard it is for ab- they're extremely rare. Giving Blood helps so many people so please give blood if you can.
-Je suis belle, incroyable, sexy et un esclave. Je suis ce que vous désirez et vous le savez.-

Bliss

I'm O+. Anybody can take my blood, and I give often.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

HairyHeretic

I'd like to give blood, but unfortunately my body reacts VERY badly when the doctor is even trying to draw a small vials worth. At best I feel faint, at worst I've thrown up. I'm not sure I'd want to see what would happen if they tried to get a pint out of me.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Bliss

You'll have to stick to consuming pints, I'm afraid.
Only I will remain.
<3 <3 <3

Inkidu

Sorry. I've got a rare one, and I need the money. But I'll sell it at a discount! D:
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

I think I have one of the less common varieties as well. I'd be willing to donate .. I'm just not sure what would happen if I tried.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Trieste

I'm A+ (even my blood type os a gold star! :D) which is about the most common possible blood type you can have. I still go ahead and give because even a 'run-of-the-mill' surgery can require several pints per patient ... and Inkedu, at least they're getting it out of your veins and you're not just sitting there making blood and not sharing. :P

And this is't trying to guilt anyone. It's just that so many people forget! They sort of go "Oh ... right. That blood thing..." once in a while and never get around to it.

Donating doesn't just go to surgeries, either. Once it's past its expiration date, hospitals donate it to schools and labs, who in turn use it for things like training future nurses, physician's assistants, veterinarians. We use it for ballistics tests and spatter experiments, which are then used in forensic analyses and criminal/civil trials. I'm sure there's a billion other uses for it that I'm forgetting, too. But you could be helping to train your future phlebotomist by donating ... which is beneficial to you 'cause you get stuck less!

Josietta

I used to be a blood and plasma donor (the latter for money of course). Over the last 5 years I haven't been able to due to medical issues of my own. I thank every person who donates blood! I had to have an emergency surgery a few years ago (one reason for my inability to donate now), and I ended up needing a transfusion due to blood loss. If there hadn't been any blood there for me, I wouldn't have had my Princess that I have today, or have met any of you wonderful people. So for that reason amongst many others, I appreciate all the donors out there!

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

MusicNeverDies

I've been donating pretty much since I turned 17, which is when you can start here. My high school would get people every 3 months in a group and go donate, and I've just kept with it since then. I gave at the start of October, so I have another donation scheduled for December 3rd.

I've really found the best thing to do is go in a group, with friends or the like. It is a great way to spend some time with friends, eat some killer snacks, and save up to three lives. Sounds like a good deal to me. I generally get faint after every donation because I'm pretty small in stature, but it only lasts 15 seconds, and then in 3 months I'm right back in the chair. So although some people do have minor issues, if it isn't a serious health problem for you, it's a good thing to do, and you feel really good about it after.

Quote from: Bliss on November 20, 2008, 01:56:25 PM
I'm O+. Anybody can take my blood, and I give often.
Isn't it O- that can give to everyone, because it has no markers, then O+ can give to everyone but O-? B to B or AB, and A to A or AB. That was my understanding. But O+ is the most common, and second most universal. Still really good to have a lot of! Tis my type.

Oniya

Quote from: MusicNeverDies on November 20, 2008, 06:56:46 PM
Isn't it O- that can give to everyone, because it has no markers, then O+ can give to everyone but O-? B to B or AB, and A to A or AB. That was my understanding. But O+ is the most common, and second most universal. Still really good to have a lot of! Tis my type.

O- is universal donor, AB+ is universal recipient.  I'm apparently B-, and my daughter's B+, which means if I ever have a second child, we'd have to watch for erythroblastosis, since I could theoretically have developed Rh antibodies.

Nifty stuff you learn in the waiting rooms.   ::)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Caity

I'm just plain old A+.  :P 

Trieste

Quote from: Oniya on November 20, 2008, 07:23:56 PM
O- is universal donor, AB+ is universal recipient.  I'm apparently B-, and my daughter's B+, which means if I ever have a second child, we'd have to watch for erythroblastosis, since I could theoretically have developed Rh antibodies.

Nifty stuff you learn in the waiting rooms.   ::)

Not difficult to solve. Injection ... that's it.

LaBelleDame

I want to give blood, but I've been turned away. I don't weigh enough.
Though perhaps if I smuggle enough change in my pockets next time, I can get away with it?
I really should get me one of these.

MusicNeverDies

Quote from: LaBelleDame on November 23, 2008, 10:35:11 PM
Though perhaps if I smuggle enough change in my pockets next time, I can get away with it?

*cough* Neither do I. They don't really weigh you here though. Try looking a little more bulky?

Caeli

Quote from: LaBelleDame on November 23, 2008, 10:35:11 PM

Ditto. I never weigh enough. :[
And sometimes they're iffy about me traveling to other countries / continents... sigh.
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

LaBelleDame

I've been wieghed both times.
But I'm thinking baggy clothes and a few rolls of quarters, just in case? XD
I really should get me one of these.