Obama releases fake document to quell the angry masses who are onto him

Started by Jude, April 27, 2011, 10:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belle33

Obama was hilarious on the birther issue at the White House Correspondence dinner.

Obama trumps Trump, again.

Ons/Offs, Stories & Poems, Currently Not Available for RP

gaggedLouise

Quote from: MasterMischief on April 30, 2011, 01:04:01 PM
Poisoning the well followed by moving the goalposts?

Yes - and thanks for providing me with that expression: moving the goalposts. It's something one notices in public debate as well as in workplace promises and deals. I've long been aware of how useful (and deceptive)  it is as a means of keeping the upper hand and giving the appearance that the issue is still around and very urgent, and/or that someone has failed in what they were supposed to do, but I never had a shorthand word for it.

The nutjobs, of course, are unfazed by Obama's release of the birth document. At ObamaCrimes.com they're already putting up doctored birth records stating that Barack Obama was born in Africa, and delivered at an "unknown location in Kenya".

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Jude

This is just classic cognitive dissonance at play.  When people hold beliefs strongly, those beliefs become part of their identity, to the extent that an attack on those beliefs becomes an attack on them.  The presentation of facts that contrast with that identity generates internal discomfort that must be resolved, either by painful reevaluation of their identity or rejection of fact that is causing them dissonance to begin with -- so it's no surprise that people's preconceived notions easily survive these tests of fact.  It really is incredible what feats of mental gymnastics that believers will go through to preserve their ideas, but they do it out of mental necessity, and necessity is the mother of invention.

gaggedLouise

Obviously no halt to the questions engine. Those guys will hold it for a fact that Obama was born in Kenya or is otherwise still uneligible to the presidency till hell freezes over.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

ReijiTabibito

You know, I find all this extremely ironic (though that may not be the correct term) in the fact that this whole issue over Obama's birth cert (and now his grades), long considered to be a Republican/conservative attack on his legitimacy as president, got started by his SecState, Hillary Clinton.

Yes, you read that right.  Hillary.  Clinton.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on May 01, 2011, 02:00:43 PM
You know, I find all this extremely ironic (though that may not be the correct term) in the fact that this whole issue over Obama's birth cert (and now his grades), long considered to be a Republican/conservative attack on his legitimacy as president, got started by his SecState, Hillary Clinton.

I find it funny that everyone says the Republicans are the only ones that want to keep this going it..there are Dems who want to 'reclaim' the party (mostly in the South) who like using this.. usually from 2nd parties. And the Clintons are much nastier than their 'aw shucks'  southern folks image.

MasterMischief

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on May 01, 2011, 02:00:43 PM

I do not really see it as ironic.  It is an attack on the person instead of that person's stance on issues.  When Hillary viewed Obama as an opponent, the same tactic was used. 

If anything, I think this should be an indicator that there really isn't anything of substance here.