News:

"Forbidden Fruit [L-H]"
Congratulations Mellific & Swashbuckler for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The landing (D&D 3.5)

Started by grovercjuk, July 18, 2011, 05:11:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grovercjuk

He was frozen to the core; the rain was relentless, as was the howling wind and the almost continuous crash of thunder combined with the flash of lighting. His hands gripped the railing as the Silver Rose climbed yet another wave, her timbers creaking under the strain. Each time as she went up the seemingly wall of water he was sure she would topple backwards and that would be it.

But each time she staggered up and over the crest to slide down the other side. He could hear the helmsman beside him offering a constant stream of pleadings to the Sea God. But it seemed that the God had turned his face away because there was no let up in the storm as it vented its fury.

There was a scream from the bow, the words whipped away by the wind but the stabbing arm showed the direction to look in. Then in the flash of lighting he saw it, an island rising out of the white foam where waves battered at its cliffs directly in their path. And they’re on top of a cliff, towers and walls, a fortress.

They where saved, surely there must be a harbor if there was a fortress. He just had to find it, had to swing the ship around the island until he did, it was with hope in his heart he began to bark out orders to his crew. But he had to be careful, there would be rocks and the wind could easily drive them into the rocks.

Turing his head he shouted into the ear of a crewman. “Get the passengers on deck, if we hit rocks they will have no chance below.” His words where those of prophecy even as the passengers came up and the Silver Rose slid towards the island there was an grinding crashing noise as rocks tore into the hull.

The ship was breaking up all around him and he was in the water, spun like a toy by the power of the waves. He had to get to the surface, had to breathe but there was only dark cold water and then he was no long concerned with the affairs of the living.

Basic idea.

You are a passenger on board the Silver Rose on her last voyage and unlike the Captain and his crew you survive, a piece of flotsam on a beach. Cold, wet but alive which given the storm is more than you expected. Now all you have to do is find out where you are and get yourself some help.

System.

D&D 3.5 with a 32 point buy. Characters are 3rd level with max HP for that level. Equipment is what you would expect to survive you going overboard, so no heavy armor etc.

Note.
One thing I have noticed that kills games is postings getting hung up waiting for one player to post. So if after 48 hours you have not posted then the game will move on.

TastyBacon

I'd be interested in this, been looking to do a system game, haven't done one in a long time.  Restrictions on books and such that can be used?

TheHangedOne

Looks like this could be fun. I'm interested. I have the same question as Bacon does.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Senti

You know I am always happy to play....

grovercjuk

I am fairly  relaxed about books, show me what you want and we can talk about it, Basic races/classes are no problem.
But as an aside in a isolated community exotic races rarely get a warm welcome, imagine a man with horns walking into a medieval village, they would be reaching for the pitchforks and burning brands as soon as they saw him.

TheHangedOne

No Githzerai, then?  ;D

Hah, just kiddin'. I might do a half elf.  Probably a sorc or warlock.
Check out my poet tree!

grovercjuk

Sounds good.
Elves are a well known race so even yokels would have heard of them.

Ashes

I'd be interested in playing. Although I have never played a system game online. I'm tempted with the idea of a Half Elven or Elven Cleric and was wondering what type of gods/goddesses were appropraite for the setting?

grovercjuk

Any from the Forgotten Realms would be fine. One thing I forgot to mention Good or Neutral characters only.

Ashes

That's no problem, I'm thinking of a half elven cleric of Shaundakul and was going to go with a good alingment.

grovercjuk

Seems we are going for Half Elves, a Cleric and a Magic user, a good start.

Senti

well I can do a horrid little rogue. Nice and simple.

Stia

I'd be up for this. Nicely up my street. And if it's based on a character sheets, dice and what have you like the games I play with real life people, it'll ease me into RPing online, seeming this is my first time.

Be gentle won't you ;)

grovercjuk

Yes it is sheet based and I find that Myth weaver do a good sheet, for those who do not know it the link is here.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetindex.php?s=861e95a40ae54ccd3b10feaa9ae07774

And yes I am gentle:) I want my players to have a good game and above all enjoy themselves.
Please feel free to ask any questions.

Stia

unfortunately the only question I have right now it.... how does all this work? So a pretty big one lol.

TheHangedOne

Sorry, grover, but I think I'm going to withdraw interest. Got a lot of stuff coming up, and I don't think I can dedicate time to this while keeping up with all my other, currently active games, too.
Check out my poet tree!

grovercjuk

The char is pretty much as you create in RL using the 32 point buy, you can see how that works here,
http://nc-gamers.com/pointbuy.aspx
So as in Rl decide on the stats, skills class etc of your char. Enter them onto the sheet and the calculations it does for you.
Equipment is not a great issue as you won't have much owing to having to swim for your life.

grovercjuk

No worries, quite understandable, thanks for letting me know.

Stia

Hmm.... I may have to find my books out... Ok I think I only have 3rd ed, but it'll help. Where's my cheat sheet when I need him lol.

RubySlippers

I'll play this sounds like alot of fun. Can we use UA class variants if they in the OGL rules online? Just to see what my options are.

Laughing Hyena

Quote from: Stia on July 21, 2011, 06:08:21 PM
unfortunately the only question I have right now it.... how does all this work? So a pretty big one lol.

Well Stia basically how it works is that we typically fill out a sheet over the internet such as a sheet from plothook.net Fill her out and make her public so the DM can approve it. As for the dice rolling invisiblecastle.com is a great dice roller and basically you send the link of your roll result into the post when it matters. Actions and everything else is done completely in character but OOC actions are commonly placed in spoilers or separated by a line. I'll give examples of this.

(Aramil Blackthorn) <--- Character Sheet Link
AC: 24 ; HP: 56/74

Aramil wades through the orcs that come towards him in an attempt to defend their warlord whom had soiled many a damsel with his vile perversions. How many had he forced and bred for his half orc armies and how many would he find in the camps broken... All that fueled the human ranger as he tore flesh from bone with his hand axes as nothing seemed to slow down his stride. One things for sure it would end tonight, no more pain no more fear of abductions. He would see this through to its very end as would his companions. Aramil ducks as the sorceress flings a fireball to soften the orcs up whilst the cleric heals the heavily armored knight to make sure he can do his job at shielding them. Up above in the hills the rogue was aiming with his arrows into the fray watching their backs by sniping any that dare to get too close to them.

OOC: Here comes the pain!!! Whoo! Finally I get to freaking cut loose!

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
Full Attack Rolls
Roll Results: (5+13 =18) (7+10 = 17) (18+7 = 25)
Roll Witness: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3118843/

Damage Rolls
Roll Results: (2+3 = 5) + (2+3 = 5) + (1+3=4) = 14
Roll Witness:http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3118845/

Oral addiction

Color me interested too.  I am familiar with Myth-Weavers as I play some system games there as well, but I am highly interested in this one.  I am unsure what I'll throw together yet.  I favor melee classes like knights but it  is unlikely that a big guy wearing plate would have made it to shore... So I'll see what else I come up with.  I have a few other ideas.  Did you post a template of what info you want, link to our sheet on MW, background, etc?

Laughing Hyena

Mithril might be doable since its featherlight steel essentially. Or if one can breathe water or walk on it that also could work. :-)

grovercjuk

Ruby Slippers.
                 Can we use UA class variants if they in the OGL rules online?  Yes no problem.

Oral Addiction.
                 Yes please link your sheet.

General.

Whilst taking armor would be highly inadvisable going into a raging sea from a sinking ship some item’s you could take. For instance a mage would take his spell book and components etc in a pouch, a Cleric his holy symbol.

Weapons you could strap to yourself, daggers, swords etc.

Stia

Yeah that's pretty much what I thought. I've put down weapons and light armour, but nothing else. Everything else would get lost in the sea I'm sure.