Interest Check: The Emerald Crown (5e, Political Intriguing, NC-Exotic)

Started by ShadowFox89, December 21, 2014, 02:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowFox89

Just to note a few things on dragon-slaying :P

1) Dragons are very powerful and very rare. All but the youngest of them (all but wyrmlings) are strong enough that every PC in the game would have a hard time fighting a single one. Keep this in mind (a young red dragon can do 16d6 damage with it's fire breath, recharging on a roll of 5 or 6 on a d6) as if you are famous as a dragon-slayer it will have taken you a group of a dozen at your current level to bring one down. And in all likelihood, you and maybe three others are the only survivors.

2) Dragons have their own empire. It's across the Sea of Sands, but a large desert means little to dragons. So what you killed was likely a rogue dragon who decided to venture off on his own, and most likely a Chromatic dragon.

Now that that's established..... To give an idea of the power of the setting, it's more Middle Earth and less Faerun. You guys are the Aragorns, Gimlis, Legolas, and Beorns of the land. Powerful, wise, and standing a head above the rest of the population, but still mortal and capable of failing.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Florence

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 25, 2014, 10:31:06 AM
Just to note a few things on dragon-slaying :P

1) Dragons are very powerful and very rare. All but the youngest of them (all but wyrmlings) are strong enough that every PC in the game would have a hard time fighting a single one. Keep this in mind (a young red dragon can do 16d6 damage with it's fire breath, recharging on a roll of 5 or 6 on a d6) as if you are famous as a dragon-slayer it will have taken you a group of a dozen at your current level to bring one down. And in all likelihood, you and maybe three others are the only survivors.

2) Dragons have their own empire. It's across the Sea of Sands, but a large desert means little to dragons. So what you killed was likely a rogue dragon who decided to venture off on his own, and most likely a Chromatic dragon.

Now that that's established..... To give an idea of the power of the setting, it's more Middle Earth and less Faerun. You guys are the Aragorns, Gimlis, Legolas, and Beorns of the land. Powerful, wise, and standing a head above the rest of the population, but still mortal and capable of failing.

Since Meredith is basically the group's burglar, does that mean she's going to wind up finding a ring of invisibility?
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

ShadowFox89

Call me Shadow
My A/A

Praetoria

I can always switch my beastie to a Wyvren, if you want. I was going for a young green since they're on the lower scale of chromatic nastiness. Also, Caila was a part of a group, so it's not like she killed it all on her own :)

I want to make sure the heroics fit the theme, so let me know if I need to make some changes and what to change :)

eternaldarkness

Quote from: Praetoria on December 25, 2014, 12:36:51 PM
I can always switch my beastie to a Wyvren, if you want. I was going for a young green since they're on the lower scale of chromatic nastiness. Also, Caila was a part of a group, so it's not like she killed it all on her own :)

I want to make sure the heroics fit the theme, so let me know if I need to make some changes and what to change :)

What she said.

AndyZ

Name: Kiara Starfire
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Sorceress 6
Alignment: Neutral

HP and other vitals

Hit Points: 50
Hit Dice: 6d6
Armor Class: 16
Speed: 30
Proficiency Bonus: +3
Inspiration:

Ability Scores

Strength: 10
- Saving Throw: +0
- Athletics: +0
Dexterity: 16
-Saving Throw: +3
- Acrobatics: +3
- Sleight of Hand: +3
- Stealth: +3
Constitution: 16
- Saving Throw: +6
Intelligence: 14
- Saving Throw: +2
- Arcana: +5
- History: +5
- Investigation: +2
- Nature: +2
- Religion: +2
Wisdom: 14
- Animal Handling: +2
- Insight: +5
- Medicine: +2
- Perception: +5
- Survival: +2
Charisma: 20
- Saving Throw: +8
- Deception: +5
- Intimidation: +8
- Performance: +5
- Persuasion: +8
Honor: 15

Background

Noble
No one could doubt by looking at my regal bearing that I am a cut above the unwashed masses.
I don't like to get my hands dirty, and I won't be caught dead in unsuitable accommodations.
If I can attain more power, no one can tell me what to do.
The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.
I secretly believe that everyone is beneath me.

Class Features and feats

Spellcasting
Font of Magic
Careful Spell
Empowered Spell
Red Dragon Ancestor
Draconic Resilience
Fire Affinity

Racial features

Darkvision, Elven Heritage

Equipment

Dagger
Orb
Explorer's Pack
Fine Clothing
Scroll of Pedigree
Signet Ring
Purse containing 50 gp
Pearl of Power
Two Potions of Healing

Combat info

Put your attacks (including attacking cantrips) here in the format of:
Attack Name; To-Hit Bonus; Damage; Range; Attack Type (Magic, Fire, Piercing, etc); Special Effects of Attack
Fire Bolt; +8; 1d10+5; 120 feet; Fire; A flammable object hit by this spell ignites if it isn't being worn or carried.
Dagger; +6; 1d4+3; 20/60 feet; Piercing; Finesse, Light, Thrown

Spells

Save DC: 16 ;Spellcasting Ability: +8
Cantrips (known- Fire Bolt, Mage Hand, Mending, Message, Prestidigitation) :
1st level spells: (known- Burning Hands, Shield, Sleep;slots- 4) :
2nd level spells: (known- Flaming Sphere, Suggestion;slots- 3) :
3rd level spells: (known- Fireball, Fly;slots- 3) :

In ancient times, the Dragonfire clan was born when a warlord by the name of Axar seduced a red dragon, creating a half-dragon empress who ruled over the Sea of Sand with might and force.  No formal structure was created, but heirs to the kingdom were chosen by those who manifested the sorcerous power inherent to the bloodline.

In more recent years, however, the thinness of the blood has caused fewer and fewer sorcerers to manifest.  While some went down the path of inbreeding, others followed the infusion of new draconic blood, hoping that others with such ancient power might keep the blood fresh and secure.  Kiara was born of the union between her royal father and a high elf of the Starbright clan, ancient wizards in their own right.

It is quite clear to her that her own lands' tentative rule is dying out, and over a mere desert, it matters little.  What is truly important is the opportunity afforded to her by becoming Empress.  Her lineage contains just enough draconic arrogance to convince her that it is only right and proper that she should rule over the Emerald Kingdoms.

Unlike many of a Draconic bloodline, she's actually impressed by the people who have the sheer might and conviction to slay a dragon.  She considers herself more of a hybrid, one with the best of both humanoid and draconic species.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

eternaldarkness

Gotta admire a girl whose solution to most problems is 'hit it with a fireball'. Well done.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

ShadowFox89

Quote from: Praetoria on December 25, 2014, 12:36:51 PM

A green dragon would work, yeah. They aren't likely to be well liked by their other dragonkin (being somewhat the trolls of the dragon-world....) and enough people fighting a young green would be able to take one down after suffering some severe losses. You could even work with eternal on building the characters as having been part of the same group.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Florence

Alright, gonna get back to work putting the finishing touches on Meredith's sheet so I can toss it up in the other thread xD
O/O: I was going to make a barebones F-list as a rough summary, but then it logged me out and I lost my progress, so I made a VERY barebones F-list instead: Here.

Florence

Posted mine up, noticed a goof, edited and fixed said goof, should be good to go now :D

(Assuming there's nothing else I goofed on xD)

Geradine

Sorry for going dark for a bit, but I has a question. How do you figure out Honor?
The view from behind a scope puts everything into perspective.

There are many things you can tell about a person by the way he/she writes. -me, i think.

AndyZ

You have 7 stats instead of 6.  One of them is Honor.  When you arrange your stats, put one for Honor.

ShadowFox89

Crime and Punishment in the Emerald Empire

For the most part, men and women are treated equally under the eyes of the emperor. None may disbar them from holding a profession for their gender or sexuality. However, when it comes to the matter of crimes, things are a little different. All may choose to defend themselves in either the courts or dueling circles. If one loses or chooses not to fight the charges, then how they are punished is dependent on gender. For lesser crimes, Men are imprisoned for a time or put to work in one of the more degrading jobs (shit shoveler is indeed a profession, but not one of choice). Women, on the other hand, are stripped naked and bound to a pole in the city square and left one display for a day and a night (not to worry, guardsmen and women tend to their needs such as bathing). For more serious offenses, men tend to have a bodily part associated with the offense removed or in the most severe cases are executed. Women found guilty of more heinous crimes 'merely' have the lesser punishment extended, forced to walk naked from the court house to the city square, then suffer a number of lashings and days spent tied to the post equal to the severity of the crime. For the most heinous of crimes such as arson and murder, they are instead condemned to imperial run whorehouses and branded with a C upon their right breast.

Needless to say, those who commit crimes tend not to commit them again or at least try to not get caught. There are nobles with positions of power who try to abuse the punishments to their own end, but those who get caught at it don't last very long.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

AndyZ

ShadowFox89

Well, you can choose to defend your honor with a duel (blade, bow, fist, and spell are all allowed) or in a court. Winning means you have proved your innocence and are free to go, with the accuser suffering a light penalty of their own. This goes both ways, if you bring someone in who is accused of a crime they have the chance to defend their honor.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

eternaldarkness

In other words: if you're strong enough to win against any accuser, you can't be found guilty of anything :D

ShadowFox89

Kinda, most dukes/duchesses have a court champion of their own who answers duels of honor for them.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

eternaldarkness

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 27, 2014, 07:42:55 PM
Kinda, most dukes/duchesses have a court champion of their own who answers duels of honor for them.

So..basically, exactly what I said? :D

Foxy DeVille

ShadowFox89

Pretty much, yeah. The other kingdoms aren't much better. Dwarves and elves leave you in the wild completely stripped of all gear to fend for yourself, with all sorts of monstrosities between you and the nearest town. Lizardfolk just simply eat you. Orcs will either kill you, rape you (gender doesn't matter much) or rape you then kill you.  And dragons will push you through a portal to a random plane.

Quote from: Foxy Oni on December 27, 2014, 07:51:01 PM
Muahahaha... that suits my character well...  >:)

Why do I get the feeling Mircalla likes to go shoplifting when she's bored to get 'caught'?
Call me Shadow
My A/A

eternaldarkness

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 27, 2014, 07:52:35 PM
Pretty much, yeah. The other kingdoms aren't much better. Dwarves and elves leave you in the wild completely stripped of all gear to fend for yourself, with all sorts of monstrosities between you and the nearest town. Lizardfolk just simply eat you. Orcs will either kill you, rape you (gender doesn't matter much) or rape you then kill you.  And dragons will push you through a portal to a random plane.

That's a long list of societies to conquer/kill, but that just means more fun!

Foxy DeVille

Quote from: ShadowFox89 on December 27, 2014, 07:52:35 PM
Why do I get the feeling Mircalla likes to go shoplifting when she's bored to get 'caught'?

More like go looking for shoplifters so she can watch justice get served.

ShadowFox89

I'll be posting an OOC and an IC soon. Do we all want to start in the same area? Maybe one of the royal family is throwing a party and everyone is invited.
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Foxy DeVille

Groovy. Maybe we should figure out if anyone has pre-existing connections.