News:

Sarkat And Rian: Happily Ever After? [EX]
Congratulations shengami & FoxgirlJay for completing your RP!

Main Menu

The Dungeons of Doom

Started by Jeramiahh, November 05, 2007, 01:56:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

This has been an idea stewing in the back of my mind for a long, long time, especially since it's based off one of the first games I joined on this site. Based off of Giant Moth's Caverns of Chaos game, the idea is simple; a lone adventurer ventures into a mountainside cavern, a magical, ever-shifting dungeon, filled with all sorts of dark and twisted evils. Of course, this IS Elliquiy, so much of that evil will be sexy.

Players will create a character for v.3.5 D&D, around 6th level (more specifics, later), and set off into the dungeon, in search of glory. Of course, all manner of interesting things could happen to the poor, solo heroes... fall into the hands of bandits, hobgoblins, succubi/incubi, or whatever tickles your (or my) fancy. No real experience with the system is required, either; I can create a character for someone not familiar with the rules, and the core rules are incredibly simple to understand.

For the most part, characters will be kept to their own, separate adventures... but there's nothing saying they have to. Especially if the players are interested in it, it'd be very easy to combine different plots, or have one player travel through a location another has already passed through. Naturally, due to its nature, I suspect there will be plenty of opportunities for NC sex, monsters, bondage, and all sorts of other goodies, though, of course, I'll play to any turn-ons and limits of the players; last thing I want to do is drive someone away!

As I said before, characters will be 'about' 6th level. I say 'about' because I want to give players the option of having a companion along with them, at the cost of reducing their own level, as well as spending part of their starting cash. So, here's the basics:

Books: Almost everything by Wizards is open. Between my own collection and a couple friends, I have a vast majority of their books. Nothing campaign specific, unless approved. If you're looking for something, but don't have it in the books you have, just ask; I can usually find a good build for anything.

Stat array: 36 point buy.

Starting Wealth: 20,000 gp. (Yes, this is more than standard wealth. I want the players to have some fun equipment.)

Alignment: Any. Good and evil alike can find something of worth here.

Level: ECL 6, unless taking a companion (see below). Non-core races/templates are subject to approval.

Note: If you want to play a truly unique concept, such as the Sex Wizard from the original game, please, ask... as this is primarily a single-player game, there's a LOT of room for flexibility.

Also, please include a list of things you'd be interested in trying with that character, ie; specific kinks or turn-ons. Not required, but makes designing plots a little easier on my side of things.

And, of course, if you have any questions, please, ask. I'm glad to answer them.

Companions: This can include anything from a trained animal, to an equal level partner. Half of the money spent may be spent on items/equipment for that character, the other half represents buying/hiring them. All are subject to DM approval.
ECL <1/2: 100-500 gp, based on what it is. This is for really small things, like pet dogs or familiar-like pets, or a 1st level NPC class character.
ECL 1: 1000 gp. A larger animal, or a 2nd level NPC class, or a 1st level PC class.
ECL 2: 2500 gp. A 3rd level NPC class, or a 2nd level PC. A reasonably powerful ally.
ECL 3: 5000 gp, reduce your ECL to 5. Same progression as before, though this might also include a monstrous ally.
ECL 4: 10000 gp, reduce your ECL to 4. A partner. Effectively reduces your gold by 25%, but gives you twice as many actions for the same power level, roughly. These latter two options could also be played by a second player, if so desired.

EDIT: Now, with brand new 4th Edition options! I've resurrected this, and am opening myself to new players. The rules for a 4e character are, essentially, the same as the 3.5 characters: 36 point buy, 6th level, above standard wealth for the level, and the option for a companion.

To reflect the different wealth level, add one more item of each level, and double your gold. That means 2 7th level items, 2 6th, 2 5th, and 2000gp. However, since you may not need two items of each level, you can also trade items for gold at a 1:1 ratio, during creation. This gives you a grand total of 12,800gp, though no item may be purchased over 7th level, and then, no more than 2 of those. You may also spend gold (and levels!) on an ally; prices are half of what's listed above, except the level cost.

EDIT: Locking this thread, to keep it from being perpetually bumped. If you want to play, PM me.

EDIT: 4e can get lost.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

schnookums

OldSchoolGamer

Sounds like fun.

I picture playing the decently capable yet spoiled daughter of a collector of antiquities.  She decides to go adventuring, wanting to get away from the stuffiness of her homelife and her tyrannical mother.  Of course, she finds adventuring isn't all its cracked up to be. 

To paraphrase Bilbo Baggins: "Adventures are nasty things.  They can cause you to lose your virginity."

Jeramiahh

Definitely! Always looking for more players, much to my free time's detriment! Have any particular character in mind, Schnookums? And if you've got a character, go ahead and sketch out a sheet, run it past me, Ty... and feel free to ask if you have any questions (though, judging by your name, you ought to be fine =P).
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Xillen

Hmm, I'm a sucker for D&D, and I was already thinking if I should perhaps include one game to my list of a somewhat different nature. If I started the game with a different look at the situation, I could probably bent my O/O list somewhat...

*ponders himself*

Muse

*bows*  If you still have openings in a week, may I play? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jeramiahh

That's the beauty of this game; unless I go completely crazy with it, and am running a game for half the site, there's no real limit as to how many players I can throw at this! =P

EDIT: OOC thread and Character Sheets are both up, though I ask that you run your sheet by me, first, before posting it.

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11652.0
Characters: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=11651.0

Xillen

Ok, I'm interested.

I guess the Leadership feat is off, as we have other means to aquire a cohort?

As for the cohort, am I right in saying that I can be ECL 6 with full stats, and have a ECL 2 cohort, and a total of 18750g to spend, as long as I spend at least 1250g of that on my cohort?

What stats does the cohort have?

Is the Factotem from Dungeonscape allowed? It's actually designed as a onemember-party class, specialized in Dungeon Crawling, thus, it seems excellent to be taken unter the test for this.

Is being Middleaged allowed? If I go with the Factotem class, I want her to be somewhat of a loremaster, who managed to do more in life than working with her brains than through sheer action (though she's capable of that), and she would spend large parts of her life just collecting various info over hunting gold and experience (she'd be in her late 30s).

Jeramiahh

Excellent! Let's see...

Leadership: If you *really* want to spend the feat, sure... I'd forgotten that level 6 is all that's really required. But, if you take the feat,t he other option is not available.

Cohort: Yes, essentially. 1,250 gold 'goes away', the other 1,250 must be spent on the cohort. You may, of course, spend more, if you wish... the idea is for something to be there, to help you, since D&D often screws over the solo man. Noone to watch while you sleep, noone to carry your stuff for you, and it's nigh impossible for rogue types to set up a flank, without an ally.

Cohort stats will be DM generated, and less than a player; I'm thinking elite array, class chosen by DM to fill the role the player requests, ie; player asks for a meatshield, might get a fighter, barbarian, paladin, or warrior, depending on my mood. Asks for an arcane user, might get a wizard, sorcerer, or adept. I'm willing to work with you on the specifics.

I'll need to take a look at the class; the book's a little on the higher end of the power side, form what I've noticed, but a pretty solid book, overall. Tentatively approved, barring finding something horribly wrong with it.

I don't see why not; the only complaint I have with it is that it gives odd amounts of +stats, which is a munchkin's dream... -1 to a stat can end up not lowering it, while +1 can raise one, giving you, theoretically, a net benefit of +3. If you've got a good reason for it, not just because you want the mechanics bonus, work it so it doesn't provide more than a +1 net bonus to stats. If you want it for purely flavor reasons, then you don't need to apply the stat adjustments.

Xillen

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMLeadership: If you *really* want to spend the feat, sure... I'd forgotten that level 6 is all that's really required. But, if you take the feat,t he other option is not available.

Hmm, that seems a bit out of balance, being able to spend a feat, to get basically the same as spending two levels and 5000g :S Don't forget it requires level 6 AND DM's approval.

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMCohort stats will be DM generated, and less than a player; I'm thinking elite array, class chosen by DM to fill the role the player requests, ie; player asks for a meatshield, might get a fighter, barbarian, paladin, or warrior, depending on my mood. Asks for an arcane user, might get a wizard, sorcerer, or adept. I'm willing to work with you on the specifics.

Hmm, I'd go for something with healing capabilities. If it could also form as a meatshield (ie, Cleric, Paladin), that would be nice.

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMI'll need to take a look at the class; the book's a little on the higher end of the power side, form what I've noticed, but a pretty solid book, overall. Tentatively approved, barring finding something horribly wrong with it.

Basically, it has 4 focus points per encounter, each allowing it to use abilities as good as a main class would, but on the spot, so in one fight, it's capable of swinging a single attack with the might of a barbarian, turning one group of undead, casting one arcane spell and avoid one blow with the grace of a monk. After that, he'd have the melee prowess of a spellless cleric. It's a little on the strong end for really short encounters, and a little on the weak end for longer encounters.

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 07, 2007, 04:37:55 PMI don't see why not; the only complaint I have with it is that it gives odd amounts of +stats, which is a munchkin's dream... -1 to a stat can end up not lowering it, while +1 can raise one, giving you, theoretically, a net benefit of +3. If you've got a good reason for it, not just because you want the mechanics bonus, work it so it doesn't provide more than a +1 net bonus to stats. If you want it for purely flavor reasons, then you don't need to apply the stat adjustments.

It would be kind of hard to get that setup with point-buy, as you'd have to buy all odd scores for it to work, and then it might've been easier to buy even only scores without the adjustments. I'm not sure you can get any +stat out of it overall, though it would benefit the mental stats slightly more of course. Pumping an int of 20 would rock from a munchkin's point of view of course, but it's not the primary reason I took it.

Ahh, maybe I should just keep her in the early 30s and make it easier on the both of us :P

BK Geno

Jera, I will be sending in a character sheet soon. This game looks interesting, and will be a V3.5  sorceress. What race, not sure yet. Something exotic, definitely not human. Thinking maybe a drow, or something even more out there.

Female drow necromancer. That is my character concept.
Panic is ALWAYS an appropriate answer!

Muse

How do you feel about substitution levels? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Jefepato

Interesting.  Would it be possible to fit into this game if I'm not really interested in having my character be sexually victimized?

Jeramiahh

Ok, lots of questions... let's go down the list.

QuoteHmm, that seems a bit out of balance, being able to spend a feat, to get basically the same as spending two levels and 5000g :S Don't forget it requires level 6 AND DM's approval.

Possibly... but remember, most people, at this level, will have three feats, which are incredibly valuable. That, and I don't think I'll give the full benefit. Maybe equivalent to the ECL 3 partner, or have the ally you attract be less effective, less optimized.

QuoteBasically, it has 4 focus points per encounter, each allowing it to use abilities as good as a main class would, but on the spot, so in one fight, it's capable of swinging a single attack with the might of a barbarian, turning one group of undead, casting one arcane spell and avoid one blow with the grace of a monk. After that, he'd have the melee prowess of a spellless cleric. It's a little on the strong end for really short encounters, and a little on the weak end for longer encounters.

Aye, might prove a bit powerful; most fights won't be very long, due to the resources one guy has available. I mean, without fireball or similar area spells, a dozen 1st level things will be able to just grapple you into submission, if nothing else (of course, in my game, that's more or less expected... *grin*) Of course... I'd have free reign to design around your character, so you never know. Give it a try, what's he worst that can happen?

QuoteIt would be kind of hard to get that setup with point-buy, as you'd have to buy all odd scores for it to work, and then it might've been easier to buy even only scores without the adjustments. I'm not sure you can get any +stat out of it overall, though it would benefit the mental stats slightly more of course. Pumping an int of 20 would rock from a munchkin's point of view of course, but it's not the primary reason I took it.

Ahh, maybe I should just keep her in the early 30s and make it easier on the both of us

True, true... I just know I've seen people pull silly things in the past; there's a reason none of the core races, in fact, none of the races I've seen, give odd stat bonuses/penalties.

QuoteJera, I will be sending in a character sheet soon. This game looks interesting, and will be a V3.5  sorceress. What race, not sure yet. Something exotic, definitely not human. Thinking maybe a drow, or something even more out there.

Female drow necromancer. That is my character concept.

Wonderful, I'll take a look at her in a little bit... though I might not get to it until tonight.

QuoteHow do you feel about substitution levels?

Depends on their source. Most of the ones I've seen are decent, but I've noticed a few awful class variants, like the Barbarian one in Complete Champion: first level ability? Pounce, letting you make a full attack at the end of a charge. That is ungodly powerful. Lemme know their origin, I'll take a look, but tentatively approved.

QuoteInteresting.  Would it be possible to fit into this game if I'm not really interested in having my character be sexually victimized?

I *suppose*, i you ant to take away all of my fun. =P Nah, I'm sure we can work something out. Do you mean no sexiness at all, or no NC? Or would rather be the attacker? Believe me, I can work with most anything.

Muse

Well, the one I want to do in this case is custom. 

Basically, for a Favored Soul of Eilistraee, instead of armor and shield proficiencies, they gain a prohobition against armor, but gain a sacred bonus to their AC equal to their level/5 + thier Charisma Modifier. 

kongming

Heh, when I first saw that, I read it as level + 5 + Cha and thought "Holy freaking crap!"

Then realised what it actually said.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=9536.msg338515

Xillen

Hmm, it's along the lines of the Monk and Duelist. Can they still equip shields?

Muse

No shields.  And yes, exactly along the lines of the monk. 

They can benefit from force armor, same as the monk. 

Jefepato

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 08, 2007, 10:06:06 AM
I *suppose*, i you ant to take away all of my fun. =P Nah, I'm sure we can work something out. Do you mean no sexiness at all, or no NC? Or would rather be the attacker? Believe me, I can work with most anything.

I wouldn't mind being the attacker (or at least the coercer, depending on what's encountered in the dungeons); I just don't enjoy having my characters be on the receiving end of NC sex.

Of course, the question is what sort of character to play.  I was thinking of a warblade; a mindbender would be interesting, but that class sucks tremendously (and I don't really want to take a d4 hit die alone into a dungeon anyway).  One of the less-wacky monster races (hobgoblin, ogre, etc.) might fit the theme as well...

Chameleon

I'd be interested as well,  I'm going through my books right now trying to find a decent class. 

Zephraim

Coolness!  Love to play if still have the room.  Human wizard, will send character to you in PM if you wish to see him.

If only I had as much fun at my work as I work at my fun....

Jeramiahh

Hoo boy, step out for a day, and the requests keep piling in! Not that I'm complaining; I love this stuff!

Muse: I like the idea. Running some numbers; most favored souls will wear either a chain shirt, 4 AC, or a breast plate, 5 AC, depending on if they want medium or heavy (or full plate, if they burn Heavy Prof.), so that means that, at 6th level (we won't likely make 10, ever), you'll receive 2+CHA... FS's are multi-dependent casters, so CHA won't be as maximized as a Wizard would want it... so assuming you start with a 16, that's equivalent to a breastplate, without the movement penalty... but, if you ever want to raise that AC, it's a LOT more expensive, so, it balances out.

In short, approved.

Jefpato: I've seen a mindbender in actual play... and, yes, they do suck. Those lost caster levels hurt. And can you even qualify for it, at 6th? Warblade's probably a much better choice for a soloist, anyway.

Chameleon, Zepharim: Go ahead and drop me a line if you have questions; there's always room, God help me. =P

kongming

A decent alternative to the Mindbender is the Beguiler (PHB2). That being said, Warblade does sound like a solid choice.
Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

Ons/Offs:

Xillen

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 09, 2007, 10:16:34 AMMuse: I like the idea. Running some numbers; most favored souls will wear either a chain shirt, 4 AC, or a breast plate, 5 AC, depending on if they want medium or heavy (or full plate, if they burn Heavy Prof.), so that means that, at 6th level (we won't likely make 10, ever), you'll receive 2+CHA... FS's are multi-dependent casters, so CHA won't be as maximized as a Wizard would want it... so assuming you start with a 16, that's equivalent to a breastplate, without the movement penalty... but, if you ever want to raise that AC, it's a LOT more expensive, so, it balances out.

If it's identical to the monk's, then it's actually 1+CHA at level 6, the rough equivalent of a nonmagical chain shirt. If it wasn't for a single game, I'd add a clausule that it overlaps (doesn't stack) with the Monk's armor bonus, or you could get insane armor at low level without any ACP. ;)

Jeramiahh

Ahh, good point. Yes, those two armor bonuses wouldn't stack. and, yeah, 6/5 =1, not 2. I read that in my head as "At first level, and every 5 levels after..."

And, yes, KM, Beguiler's a good class... unless you need to do damage. *grumbles about the DM who, after three fights won almost entirely with sleep, has sent nothing but vermin and undead for the last five sessions, making the poor bastard useless.*

kongming

Ouch. Yea, they suck at fighting things that rogues suck against, and have to rely on Abuse Magic Device. Or creating illusions of lava pits, which the mindless things only recognise as illusions once they interact with them, and because they won't jump into lava they never interact... you get the idea.

But it severely limits your options.

Ons/Offs:

Jefepato

Quote from: Jeramiahh on November 09, 2007, 10:16:34 AMJefpato: I've seen a mindbender in actual play... and, yes, they do suck. Those lost caster levels hurt. And can you even qualify for it, at 6th? Warblade's probably a much better choice for a soloist, anyway.

You certainly can qualify for it at 6th; it doesn't require more than 4 ranks in any skill, so you can have 1 level in mindbender as long as you started in any class that can cast charm person by 5th level.  (Taking one level in mindbender is actually worth it; it just becomes useless after that, and I'm not going to screw around with min/maxy one-level dips in a game like this.)

Jeramiahh, may I assume that the Lolth-touched template is not going to be permitted as written?  Also, how do you feel about Savage Species-style progressions for creatures above ECL 6?

Jeramiahh

Can you? It's been a while since I saw it... I couldn't remember what level he went into it.

Lloth touched template... lemme look it up, quick. Yeah... it's awesome for NPCs... but +6 STR and CON, as well as a few other perks, for a mere +1 LA? As a straight melee, that's worth more than a couple levels, so I'll have to say 'no' to this one; it looks like it was designed more for NPCs, anyway.

Savage Species? I've seen some decent things come out of it, if done intelligently. *points to a character from one of Kongming's games, a half-satyr, half-succubus* Though he was pretty powerful, I have to admit. We can certainly discuss it, though.

Jefepato

I was thinking of playing a Savage-progression troll.  It loses a lot of HD, but it does have a great amount of regeneration (which increases survivability by about 500%) and all-around good stats.

Alternatively, there's the half-ogre, an old favorite which has the advantage of letting me actually have class levels, but it seems a little crummy for LA +2 (though it was crazy broken at +1).

Dingo

This is Elliquiy, why bother with munchkinism ... reason nr. 2 I don't like D&D.

Jefepato

I don't see any munchkinism here.  Nor what D&D has to do with it -- munchkinism is no more frequent in D&D than in any other RPG that offers players some degree of control over their characters' traits.

Jeramiahh

*shrug* It's up to the player. If they want to play something unique, that's also powerful, the challenge will adjust to meet them. If they want to play "Senor El Vorpal Kickass-o", the guy with one level in every base class... they can do that, too. =P They just won't face the same challenges. That's why I like single-player games... who cares if you cheat? Or not? It's only affecting you.

Jef: Send me a breakdown of the class, so I can look it over.

Jefepato

Nah...looking at the troll again, it's a little too freaky for me to enjoy playing it in a sexual game.  I think I'll stick with the half-ogre.  If that's acceptable, I'll PM stats sometime soon.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Dingo on November 09, 2007, 04:09:37 PM
This is Elliquiy, why bother with munchkinism ... reason nr. 2 I don't like D&D.

Third Edition D&D is a lot more vulnerable to munchkinism than Second was.  One of the reasons I'm not a big fan of 3/3.5E.  

During one game I ran a long time ago, I kept all the mechanics back behind the counter...the players didn't even get character sheets.  No min-maxing, no begging for a stat to be raised or for some new power.  No prestige classes with über names like Mindbender or Arch-sorceror or whatever.  You wanted a cool-sounding title, you had to earn it by building your character up...if you lived long enough.

Xillen

That's telling more about the players than about the system.

As for prestige classes, if you read up on them, they are (almost) all placed in some order, and thus the character actually needs to contact that order and learn from them before he can pick his first level. A DM that doesn't want Mindbenders or Archsorcerers can simply decline them.

I actually see systems more as a way to keep players in check, so all players can have reasonably the same amount of power, whereas in a freeform game, some people are really powerplayers, while others are the opposite because they're trying too hard not to be a powerplayer.

3.0 had some problems with lvl1 multiclassing giving some really nice abilities, but they fixed that in 3.5, pushing abilities that were really nice for other classes up to 2nd or 3rd level.

kongming

Just a little tip on the blurred titles:

Munchkin: a very small person, or alternatively, someone who gets enjoyment out of ruining everyone else's fun. Someone who specifically decides to play characters that won't work with the rest of the party. Examples: someone designed to outshine the rest, someone designed to hinder the rest by being too weak, someone with in-character reasons to not get along with the party.

Power Gamer: Someone who likes powerful characters. They don't even necessarily want their characters to be more powerful than the rest of the party, nor do they want to stomp all over the opposition. This kind of person (me!) likes games that start higher than levels 1-3, because in the slightly higher levels, you're dealing with actual heroes. You're also facing monsters that you can actually write home about. One can of course be both a Power Gamer AND a Munchkin, in which case 99% of the time they want to outshine the rest of the party.

Optimiser: Someone who simply likes to play with the numbers, and likes to make their character the best they can be. They enjoy looking at the stats and playing around within the rules. They're probably happy to help other party members with their stats too, to make sure everyone is on the same footing. I sort of fit into this category, to a degree. I can still curb it easily enough though, as many do. Heck, a responsible optimiser knows that sometimes they SHOULD take something less than the best, just so they don't crush everything else (a Cleric who wears Light armour is a small yet significant change, as is playing a Sorcerer instead of the almighty Wizard).

Just being helpful here! Also covering my own ass to avoid "BAAAAAAW, kongming is a rollplayer, not a roleplayer!" Although people here probably know that's not true.

And regarding the troll: They're hard to make playable. Mostly because, if you don't go into "the land of acid, fire, poison and death effects" they're sort of unkillable. As a monster, it turns into a puzzle - the "How do we kill it?" puzzle as everyone whips out their acid flasks and fire spells. As a PC, it forces any meaningful challenge to have the answer to the puzzle.

Just being helpfully irritating as always ^^

Ons/Offs:

Xillen

Phew... Buying equipment is always my most annoying step in character creation, and after spending several hours looking through over a dozen books, I end up with rather uncreative stuff :(

I guess I'm an Optimizer at heart, but sometimes I just like to make something different.

Jeramiahh

My non-magic essentials always include chalk (to make notes of where you've been, write notes in silence, etc.), a whistle (assuming a team), and marbles (great for detecting pit traps). I tend to stick to the classics, though; stat, AC, save, and attack/damage boosters. One reason I like the Magic Item Compendium, and am looking forward to 4th edition... they encourage the use of non-standard items, as opposed to the same boring stuff everyone uses.

Xillen

Ah, well, at least I spent 5400gold to overcome armor check penalties ;)

That's something I never resorted to as far as I can remember, though I deliberately limited my gear on more than one occasion in order not to knock to medium or heavy load.

kongming

Maybe I should check out the Magic Item Compendium then. I have noticed a lot of "Gain this X/day" things, which is a good way to cheapen the cost, if somewhat cheeky. But I also hear that it has a variety of "cool things".

And to think I could have bought a Candle of Invocation, broken into the Wish economy, and made you say "No. Please don't do that." :D

Ons/Offs:

Jeramiahh

Of course, that combo, like most others, are entirely subject to DM fiat. I pity the poor player who thinks to build some god-awful combination, only to have me say, "Wait, how are you taking that prestige class? Did you get my approval? Did you join their guild, receive their training? I think not! Pick a new class, or delay leveling until you do!"

kongming

*giggling* Yeah. That being said, the Wish economy thing works when you assume that it is part of the setting (it also means the game doesn't break when the dragon actually has a bed of gold consisting of millions of coins). But it doesn't work when just one person decides to do it in an otherwise ordinary game.

And I've never had a problem with saying "Let's just not do that, and not let it work."

Ons/Offs:

Jeramiahh

*chants for several minutes, holding a 5000gp diamond in his hand.* RAISE DEAD!

*looks around, doesn't see anything, scowls.* Alright, making me pull out the big guns, huh?

*pulls out a Raise Dead ritual scroll, repeats process.* LIVE!

Sonja

Faral Brandis - Lvl 4 Half-Elf Swordmage

Str: 14|Con: 14|Dex: 10|Int: 19|Wis: 10|Cha: 10
Initiative:  +2

AC: 20|Fort: 15|Ref: 17|Will: 15

Speed:  6

Passive Insight: 19|Passive Perception:  14

HP:  47|Bloodied:  23|Surge Value:  11|Surges/Day:  10

Basic Attacks
Final Word Longsword +1|+10 vs. AC|1d8+8 DMG
Repeating Crossbow|+4 vs. AC|1d8 DMG

Trained Skills
Arcana +11|Endurance +9|History+11

Misc. Skills
Diplomacy +4|Perception +4
All other skills +2

Racial Features
Dilettante - Choose at-will power (Fighter - Footwork Lure) from other class to use as encounter power
Dual Heritage - Qualify for Human, Elven, and Half-Elven racial feats

Class Features
Swordbond - Bond with one blade.  Can call blade to hand with standard action.  Repair in 1 hour.
Aegis of Assault - Use Aegis of Assault power at-will.
Swordmage Warding - +1 AC with blade, +3 if off-hand free.  Non-functioning while character is unconscious

Feats
Stubborn Survivor - +2 to Saving Throws when out of Action Points
Intelligent Blademaster - Use Int instead of Str to modify melee basic attacks
Alertness - No Combat advantage when surprised, +2 to perception

Languages
Common|Elven|Goblin

Equipment
Weapon: Final Word Longsword|Armor: Battle Harness Leather Armor +1|Arms: Bracers of Mighty Striking|Neck: Talon Amulet +1
Unequipped:  Adventurer's Kit|Repeating Crossbow|6 Crossbow Magazines|1 platinum coin|4 gold coins

Powers
At-Will
Aegis of Assault
Arcane, Teleportation|At-Will Minor Action|Close Burst 2|Target 1 Creature in Burst
Effect:  Target Marked until same power used to mark new target.  -2 Penalty to target's attacks that don't include caster as target.  If target's attack hits within 10 squares of caster, caster teleports adjacent to target and makes melee basic attack as immediate reaction.  Reaction cannot occur if no free squares are adjacent to target.

Greenflame Blade
Arcane, Fire, Weapon|At-Will Standard Action|Melee Range|Target 1 Creature +10 vs. AC
Effect:  1d8+6 (+1 w/ Combat Advantage) fire damage and 2 fire damage on all enemies adjacent to target

Lightning Lure
Arcane, Implement, Lightning|At-Will Standard Action|Ranged 3|Target 1 Creature +7 vs. Fort
Effect:  1d6+5 (+1 w/ Combat Advantage) damage and target is pulled to nearest square adjacent to caster.  Power fails completely if no adjacent squares are available

I'll put the rest of the powers up later I'm kinda running out of time for the day.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, nice your resurrecting this game up. I am interested join this game. With point buy I assume you haven't included the basic array which is 10, 10, 10, 10 ,10 and 8 before adding the bonus points. Subtracting total -10 from 36 to 26 which is four points more than standard 22pts for customized score base from PHB.

Here is my charsheet so far, working on magic items later and more details. The warlock (dark path) is from 4th edition FR player's guide.

http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=106896

Jeramiahh

This game's always been open recruiting; I just hate bumping it. Not to mention I still receive a lot of interest. =P

As far as the stats; yeah, 4e changed the PB system form 3e, which is annoying, but the number still fits. Character looks good, so far; make sure to include a little backstory, so I can write up an intro for you.

Creeper

Male Human Wizard
Level 6
Unaligned
Representing Creeper

Strength    8   (-1)
Constitution    13   (+1)
Dexterity    12   (+1)
Intelligence    20   (+5)
Wisdom    16   (+3)
Charisma    12   (+1)

Height:    5' 10"
Weight:    165 lb
Skin:    Pale
Eyes:    Green
Hair:      Sandy Blonde

Maximum Hit Points: 48 [includes toughness]

Bloodied: 24
      Surge Value: 12
      Surges / Day: 7 [includes constitution modifier]

Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares
Vision: Normal

Initiative:   1d20 +8   = + 3 [half level] + 1 [dexterity] + 4 [improved initiative]
Base Strength Attack:   1d20 +2   = + 3 [half level]-1 [strength]
Base Dexterity Attack:   1d20 +4   = + 3 [half level] + 1 [dexterity]
Base Constitution Attack:   1d20 +4   = + 3 [half level] + 1 [constitution]
Base Intelligence Attack:   1d20 +8   = + 3 [half level] + 5 [intelligence]
Base Wisdom Attack:   1d20 +6   = + 3 [half level] + 3 [wisdom]
Base Charisma Attack:   1d20 +4   = + 3 [half level] + 1 [charisma]

Armor Class:   20   = 10 + 3 [half level] + 5 [intelligence] +2 [armor]
Fortitude Defense:   16   = 10 + 3 [half level] + 1 [Human] + 1 [constitution] +1[item]
Reflex Defense:   20   = 10 + 3 [half level] + 1 [Human] + 5 [intelligence]  +1[item]
Will Defense:   20   = 10 + 3 [half level] + 1 [Human] + 2 [wizard] + 3 [wisdom] +1[item]

Resist 5 Poision
Resist 5 Necrotic

Weapons: Orb of Debilitating Langour +2

Armor: Armor of Resistance (Poision) +2

Neck: Cape of the mountebank +1

Hands: Shadowfell Gloves +1

Feet: Boots of spider Climbing +1

Head: Skull Mask +1

Attacks:

Unarmed Melee: +2 [base strength attack] vs AC; damage 1[W]=1d4-1 [strength]
      Daggers (x10): +5 vs AC [+2 strength] [+3 proficiency]; damage 1[W]=1d4-1 [strength] 1 lb (Light blade); usable off-hand; light throwable
              Thrown: +7 vs AC [+4 dexterity] [+3 proficient, damage 1d4+1 [dexterity]
      Ray of Frost +10i [base intelligence attack] vs fortitude
      Scorching Burst +10i [base intelligence attack] vs reflex
      Thunderwave +10i [base intelligence attack] vs fortitude
      Icy Terrain +10i [base intelligence attack] vs reflex
      Acid Arrow +10i [base intelligence attack] vs reflex
      Sleep +10i [base intelligence attack] vs will
      Fire Shroud +10i [base intelligence attack] vs fortitude
      Fireball +10i [base intelligence attack] vs reflex
      Stinking Cloud +10i [base intelligence attack] vs fortitude
      i Implement-usable power. Apply a bonus as appropriate.

Base Saving Throw: d20 vs 10

Languages:   Common; Draconic

Rituals Known:

Brew Potion [Level 1 per revision]
      Make Whole [Level 1]
      Silence [Level 1]
      Knock [Level 4]
      Magic Circle [Level 5]

Skills:

Acrobatics:   +6   = 1 [dexterity] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Arcana:   +13   = 5 [intelligence] + 3 [half level] + 5 [class training]
      Athletics:   +4   = -1 [strength] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Bluff:   +6   = 1 [charisma] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Diplomacy:   +9   = 1 [charisma] + 3 [half level] + 5 [class training]
      Dungeoneering:   +11   = 3 [wisdom] + 3 [half level] + 5 [class training]
      Endurance:   +6   = 1 [constitution] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Heal:   +8   = 3 [wisdom] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      History:   +13   = 5 [intelligence] + 3 [half level] + 5 [class training]
      Insight:   +11   = 3 [wisdom] + 3 [half level] + 5 [class training]
      Intimidate:   +7   = 1 [charisma] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades] +1 [Item]
      Nature:   +8   = 3 [wisdom] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Perception:   +8   = 3 [wisdom] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Religion:   +10   = 5 [intelligence] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Stealth:   +6   = 1 [dexterity] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Streetwise:   +6   = 1 [charisma] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]
      Thievery:   +6   = 1 [dexterity] + 3 [half level] + 2 [jack of all trades]

Feats:

Action Surge   
      Burning Blizzard   
      Improved Initiative   
      Jack of all Trades   
      Toughness   

At-Will:

Basic Melee Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]-1 [strength]
      Basic Ranged Attack: By weapon, damage 1[W]+1 [dexterity]
      Bull Rush: +2 [base strength attack] vs fortitude
      Grab: +2 [base strength attack] vs reflex
      Move grabbed target: +2 [base strength attack] vs fortitude
      Escape: +6 [acrobatics] vs reflex / +4 [athletics] vs fortitude
      Ghost Sound [Wizard]
      Light [Wizard][minor action]
      Mage Hand [Wizard][minor action]
      Prestidigitation [Wizard]
      Ray of Frost [Level 1]
      Scorching Burst [Level 1]
      Thunderwave [Level 1]

Reminder to Level 6 Wizards: Each day (i.e., after extended rest), you prepare two daily non-utility powers and two utility powers from your spellbook.

Human

* One extra at-will power from your class (already included)
    * One bonus feat at 1st level (already included)
    * One bonus skill from the skill class list (already included)
    * +1 to fortitude, reflex, and will defenses

Wizard

* This wizard prefers using an orb.
    * Cantrips
    * Ritual Casting [bonus feat, not listed above]
    * Spellbook

Stavos the Fool's Equipment:

Backpack
      Bedroll
      Flint and steel
      Grappling hook
      Manacles x1
      Mirror
      Pouch (belt) x1
      Rations (1 day) x10
      Rope (50', hempen) x1
      Soap
      Sunrods x2
      Torches x5
      Vial (for ink or potions) x3
      Waterskins x2
      Orb
      Spellbook x1
      Potion of healing x 5 (-250 gold)
      Companion (-500 Gold)
Gold: 1250

Bio: Stavos (or Stavos the Fool as he was known at the Mage Academy) was the 25th child of a elderly nobleman, and the only intellectual among the entire bunch. Most of his family either hated him or grudgingly tolerated him. He was sent off to the Rightshield Mage Academy as soon as he was old enough, and his erratic personality drove others away just as it had drove his family away. While studying at the academy, his father died and left his considerable fortune... only to his favorite children.

This enraged Stavos, and he resolved to conquer the Dungeons of Doom to show the old dead bastard up! Several of his sisters and cousins had tried the same feat, but none had returned. Well, none of them were The Mighty Stavos, now were they!

Appearance: Stavos's attire is more befitting of a beggar than a noble. He has an unruly mop of wavy blonde hair and intense green eyes. His pale skin is marked with dirt. There are deep shadows under his eyes, denoting a lack of sleep. He wears a tan sleaveless shirt and regular brown trousers. Arcane tatoos band around his upper arms. He wears a backpack loaded with his equipment and other strange object.

Lowest Tier Companion: 'Jill' is a several inch tall imp-like figure. She has a more demonic name but Stavos refuses to use it. The long-suffering familiar has been with the Wizard since he was a young child and has repeatedly attempted to corrupt him, but found Stavos far too erratic. Mostly she serves her master as someone to rant at.

Jill has white-pinkish skin, red hair with two small horns poking out the front. She has little to no bust, and quiet blue eyes. A long, folked tail sways out from her bottem and a pair of leathery wings keep her aloft.

(I'm not sure what stats to use to denote Jill. Any tiny weak humanoid should do.)

Edit: Forgot utilities and stuff!

Encounter Powers:

Second Wind
        Spend an Action Point [free action, not in surprise round]
        Use Implement [free action]
        Icy Terrain [Level 1]
        Fire Shroud [Level 3]

Daily Powers:

Acid Arrow [Level 1]
        Sleep [Level 1]
        Expeditious Retreat [Level 2 Utility][move action]
        Feather Fall [Level 2 Utility][free action]
        Fireball [Level 5]
        Stinking Cloud [Level 5]
        Dispel Magic [Level 6 Utility; implement as per errata 7/2/08]
        Invisibility [Level 6 Utility]
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, charsheet complete with shoppings; http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheets/view.php?id=106896

Only special is two PC 2lvl companions and instead of one PC 1lvl companion I took 5 minions as cannon fobbers :P (it is eguilevant of same ECL which is 1). Assuming most cases they are 'knocked out' than killed in fights but if serious hit is done to them they are then gone.

Jeramiahh

Intriguing; you're the first person to have more than one companion, barring the necromancer who had a handful of summoned skeletons, which I counted more as a class feature than a companion, anyway. =P

I'll see if I can get this up this morning, though I need to leave soon.

Zaer Darkwail

Hehe, well I wanted a cleric to heal my injuries (and provide ranged backup/boost) and rogue to deal with traps and scouting stuff (and again ranged support). Minions then are raw cannon fobbers meant soften my foes. In ECL wise I am 6lvl guy, two 2lvl guys and 5 minions counting as 1lvl guy. So average ECL for adventure party of 'four individuals' is 3 in my case I think.

I just designed companions so it is easy determine ECL for me (and have bigger battles and so on).

Transgirlenstein

Just wondering if this was still going and in need of any players?
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

Jeramiahh

Much to the detriment of my sanity, I always have open spots for this game. Did you have some ideas, already?

Transgirlenstein

Just thinking of a character really.  What sort of ideas do you need?
Busy with freelance writing work.  Replies slow.  Feel free to prod me. 

Formally Tripping Satyr, Tripping Snake and QueenTrippingserpent.  Often known as Trip.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=19217.0

Seeking Games!: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=71239.0

WyzardWhately

I'm finding myself pretty interested in this.  I'd like to play a human - probably a Swordmage, Warlock, or Rogue of some kind.  But I'll have to kick around in the character builder a while to decide exactly what.

I'm assuming we go by 4E starting wealth rules, instead of 20,000 GP?
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0
It's still really sketchy, though.
Here are my dice rolls: http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/player/WyzardWhately/

Jeramiahh

QuoteTo reflect the different wealth level, add one more item of each level, and double your gold. That means 2 7th level items, 2 6th, 2 5th, and 2000gp. However, since you may not need two items of each level, you can also trade items for gold at a 1:1 ratio, during creation. This gives you a grand total of 12,800gp, though no item may be purchased over 7th level, and then, no more than 2 of those. You may also spend gold (and levels!) on an ally; prices are half of what's listed above, except the level cost.

WyzardWhately

Zekiel was a guide and woodsman, once upon a time.  However, some ill-defined but unwise and morally ambiguous act has led to his exile, and the great damage of his reputation.  He's since turned for solace to the Raven Queen, and for a living to Adventuring.  He's a wiry man with black hair and blue eyes, of slightly below-average height.  Despite his lack of bulging muscles, he's an unholy terror with the sword he keeps strapped to his back.

Zekiel
Human Swordmage 6, Unaligned  Background: Explorer/Guide  XP: 7500
HP: 53 AC: 25  Fort: 18 Ref: 21 Will 20
Bloodied: 26
Surge:13   S/Day: 10

Str:8
Con: 15 +2
Dex:10
Int: 20 +5
Wis: 14 +2
Cha: 10

Languages: Common, Abyssal, Supernal

Basic Melee Attack Bonus: +8
Int Weapon Attack:+13
Int Implement Attack: +10
Damage Bonus: +7

Trained Skills:
Arcana +13
Endurance +10
Intimidate +8
Insight: +10
Nature: +13
Religion: +13
Perception: +10

Feats:
Melee Training: Intelligence
Action Surge
Human Perseverance
Initiate of the Faith: Raven Queen
Skill Training: Perception

Class Features:
Aegis of Assault
+3 AC Warding

Powers:
At-Will:
Sword Burst – Close Burst 1, Int v. Ref 1D6+Int
Booming Blade-  Int v. AC , 1W+Int, If target moves from adjacent on its turn, take 1D6+Con Thunder damage
Lightning Lure- Range 3, Int v. Fort, 1d6+Int, pull target to nearest adjacent unoccupied space.
Encounter:
Flaming Cyclone – Close Blast 3, Int v. Reflex, 1d8+Int Fire Damage
Blastback Swipe – Weapon Attack v. Fort, 1W+Int & Push 2, can be used instead of Aegis of Assault, can be used instead of Charge.
Armathor’s Step:  Move action, TP 5, +2 to attack an enemy adjacent at the end of your move.
Daily:
Frost Backlash: Weapon Attack v. Reflex, Immediate Interrupt.  When hit by an enemy attack for 3W+Int Cold damage, half on a miss.
Deep Freeze: Weapon Attack v. Reflex, 2W+Int, Effect: Until End of Encounter, any enemy starting or moving next to target takes 1d10 cold.
Healing Word
Fear No Elements: Minor Action: Gain Resist 7 to one energy type (acid, cold, fire, lightning, or thunder) for the rest of the encounter.

Equipment:
Vicious Longsword +2 (7)
Magic Leather Armor +2 (6)
Cloak of Resistance +2 (7)
Bag of Holding (5)
Ironskin Belt (5)
Horned Helm (6)
[Purchased]
Wavestrider Boots (4)
Couters of Second Chances (5)
Std. Adventurer’s Kit
Chalk
Holy Symbol
160 GP.
Look!  I have an ons and offs list now!  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=13580.0

TheLivingWonder

I'd definitely be interested in playing as some kind of female rogue who goes looking in looking for wealth, and finds nothing but trouble. I played something similar to this a while back, but I'm not too familiar with the workings of the system so I may need help getting it all set up. Are you still looking for players?

Jeramiahh

Quote from: Me, five hours ago.Much to the detriment of my sanity, I always have open spots for this game.

Big question, of course, is which system would you like to play? 4e's better for newbies, but tougher on solo players, 3.5/Pathfinder's harder to learn, but easier to play.

Send me a PM with the answer, too.

WyzardWhately

Addendum:  I really imagine Zekiel more as a victimizer than a victim, but, well, it's a dungeon and sometimes bad shit happens.

Additionally, I can expand his background further if he's accepted.  I generally keep things fairly sketchy at first and fill in details via exposition and flashback, but it seems traditional here to turn in more than a few short paragraphs.

Also, I somehow failed to realize you were still taking characters in the older editions.  If this one dies horribly, I may take the opportunity to give Pathfinder a try.  I'm sufficiently familiar* with 3.x that it should come easily to me.

*Obscenely so, in truth.