News:

Main Menu

Life's small questions

Started by GoldenChild, April 10, 2006, 03:01:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoldenChild

Have you ever wondered something that you just know that someone else must know? Problem is that you never know who you are going to ask your question. Internet solved very many of these things as long as you know how and where to ask. So I create a thread for these things (as I have a question to ask too). The way I thought this would be kept is that people post their questions and if anyone knows the answer quote the question and types the answer. Simple... and neat.

So... QUESTION: Why is Hawaii part of USA?

tcost

Why is Hawaii a part of the USA?

In 1819, King Kamehameha II became King of Hawaii.  His father had conquered some of the other islands and united the chain under his rule.  The new king, however, began his reign by abolishing a form of paganism which involved idol worship and human sacrifice.

Into the somewhat chaotic void thus produced came a man named Hiram Bingham, a Protestant missionary from New England, who preached the gospels and brought with him a group of other missionaries.  Catholic missionaries arrived a few years later, and after considerable sectarian strife religious toleration was established.

In 1823, Kamehameha II and his wife visited Great Britain, and died there.  (I'd like to know how this happened, myself.)  This left the claim to the throne contested, and the monarchy weak.  While this was going on, an American firm called Ladd & Company started the first sugar plantation on the island of Kauai.  By 1840, Hawaii had a constitution modelled on that of the US, and this country, Britain, and France recognized Hawaii as an independent, sovereign state.

Queen Lillioukalani came to the throne in 1891 and tried to assert a more vigorous monarchial government, but two years later American troops landed and assisted an American-inspired revolt which toppled the queen.  Sanford Dole was made the first (and only) president of the brief Hawaiian republic which followed the revolution.

American business interests dominated the new government, and by 1898 they succeeded in getting Congress to annex the republic.  Despite repeated attempts to make it happen sooner, most notably at the efforts of President Truman, Hawaii was admitted as a state in 1959, the fiftieth of the fifty states.

(I got most of this from the World Book Encyclopedia, so it's not just off the top of my head.)
I prefer justice to irony.

Lilian

A good part of my family immigrated through Hawaii. A lot of spaniards were brought in from Castille to work those plantations, along with chinese immigrants and others.  They were paid and housed VERY well, considering how some working conditions can be, and many made enough to start new lives with respectably large plots of land all over California.

monkeygirl

plus, they got to live in Hawaii  :) 
bisexual and submissive

espeically likes BDSM, beastiality, pain play, humilitaion, exhibitionism, good writing!  oh!  And becoming quickly obssessed with the idea of tentacles - shame on you people ;D

Lilian

monkeygirl

Thinking about it, it really wouldn't be a bad life - they sound like they did well for themselves.  Hey, think your family will adpot me? Land in california is worth it's weight in gold these days  ;)
bisexual and submissive

espeically likes BDSM, beastiality, pain play, humilitaion, exhibitionism, good writing!  oh!  And becoming quickly obssessed with the idea of tentacles - shame on you people ;D

tcost

Speaking as a Californian -- the land's vastly overpriced, yes, but not worth its weight in gold.  Consider how much soil weighs. :)

Surely, someone must know more than I do about this?
I prefer justice to irony.

monkeygirl

lol - ok, well... maybe very dusty soil?  ;D
bisexual and submissive

Akioth

I live in California and live on Land worth over a Mil...not that it matters or anything....
Akioth has requested an indefinite hiatus of his account.

Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off. 

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

monkeygirl

LOL - around here, all that means is that it's more then a square foot wide  :)
bisexual and submissive

Violet Maui

I don't know much about land prices in the states, but in Canada it's good to buy/sell right at this moment.
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me. So tie me up and throw me down, to show me that you like me."

Offs & Ons :: PM if interested!

Lilian

I lived in California, my family owns land worth about 3 million dollars through a few houses. ^^

Not that they'd sell it or anything!

Violet Maui

The family doesn't own any assets like that over here in Ontario, but I visited a friend in BC that owns a couple million dollars worth of houses in Vancouver. :D
"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but whips and chains excite me. So tie me up and throw me down, to show me that you like me."

Lilian

We're all so richly poor. XD

Violet Maui

Lilian

Violet Maui

Akioth

80 arces.....A couple houses....a tractor the size of a house...I suppose Im fairly well off.....
Akioth has requested an indefinite hiatus of his account.

Sex on television can't hurt you unless you fall off. 

No matter how much cats fight, there always seem to be plenty of kittens.  ~Abraham Lincoln

Violet Maui

I got put on a huge tractor when I went to BC. I'm a city girl, so I was like- "Huh? Do you drive it like a car? Oops, I took out the fence."

Lilian

Violet Maui

Ajoxer

My family actually has some area in Long Island- We've got a small, maybe half an acre place where our family has lived since at least the 50s, which is worth about three quarters of a million dollars with the insane value of land there right now- It's become one of the big resort towns, equivelant in price to Miami or Palm Springs. We used to own a rather larger place that's now worth something like 15 million, but had given it to a friend in the 70s or so...

But I like my dad's Barn in the back of the smaller property the most. He's collected all sorts of incredible stuff there- Thousands of old books, a red coral carving from a guy who works for him in India- He works as a project director at Metlife, this guy is essentially the richest man in the near villages for the salary he gets from Metlife, he even invited our family once to his wedding, though we chose not to go, but, yeah...

And my favorite, the two or so pounds of plastic explosive that my dad has squirreled away for a rainy day. :-D
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Lilian

For that, "YOU'LL NEVER TAKE ME ALIVE!" moment? XD

Mistiq

I have a question....why is it that the news spends so much time covering Bull like Charlie Sheen's ex dating Heddy Loc-li-er's ex and Brittany being a mommy again? There are more important things to report on, Am I right?

ZK

Because they use Pop Culture to sedate and numb the minds of many citizens across the world from the real, true and horrible truth of what is going on.

Concider it a nice diversion compaired to blood, guts and misery all the time. :)
On's/Off's --- Game Reviews

"Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may judge what is sane."

Elvi

Here in the UK, it depends on which news you watch and when you watch it.
We have a twice daily local 'magazine' program, where national news of local importance is discussed, along with local happenings and interest stories right down to the 'light notes' of silly things like Bob Smith Postman for village/area X has delivered his 1 billionth letter today.

Then we have the National news and International news both in headline quicky news programmes and more in depth three or four times a day.
How good or bad the programs are depends upon which channel you choose to watch.

Things like Tom Cruise and his latest craze in under pants, may be mentioned on slow news days, or it si confined to pop culture news shows, which are on daily as well.....
It's been fun, but Elvi has now left the building

Mistiq

You're lucky I tell you what.

Okay, I was just wondering, my French buddy claims that the letter Z (zee) is pronounced "Zed" most everywhere that's not the U.S. Is that true?

Violet Maui

Pronounced "Zed" here in Canada. >:3

Elvi

Yep.....it's ZED......*grins*

GoldenChild

Not in swedish... but I guess the question was directed towards English.

Elvi

GoldenChild

You call it "zeta" but it is pronounced as a normal 's'.

Elvi

ahhhh.....*nods*

The German reversal of the sounds for V and W  always catches me.

Mistiq

Quote from: Elvi on May 04, 2006, 03:31:17 AM
ahhhh.....*nods*

The German reversal of the sounds for V and W  always catches me.
Really you learn something new everyday :)

Lilian

So you really say it Woltsvagon?

Elvi

Lilian

Ohhhh those nutty germans! ;)

pixiekitn

The V is actually pronounced as F, and the W is pronouneced as V.  At least, that's what I was taught.

And Volkswagon pronounced:
Folksvahgon.
Do as you will, it's fun to explore.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5422.0

Elvi

Well, when I was in Germany, that's certainly not how the Germans pronounced it.

And a lot of friends out there thanked me for wisiting them.

pixiekitn

If you've been there, then you know better than me.  *lol*  But I think it mainly has to do with what region you're in.  Some of the dialects are supposedly so different they're barely the same language.  Much like with any language, I suppose.
Do as you will, it's fun to explore.

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=5422.0

Lilian

Elvi

Quote from: pixiekitn on May 16, 2006, 02:16:46 PM
If you've been there, then you know better than me.  *lol*  But I think it mainly has to do with what region you're in.  Some of the dialects are supposedly so different they're barely the same language.  Much like with any language, I suppose.

The main difference is between north and south Germany, I have to admit that it was difficult, being used to the Northern German accent, getting used to the southern was hard.

But then thats like saying that The Cornish and the Scottish are speaking the same language, but the dialects are far different.

Mistiq

Feel to change the subject back if yall'd like, but I got a questions that has been burning a hole in the back of my mind for months.

I've been seeing commericals for a treatment for chronic dry-eye called Ratasis I am sure have spelled it wtong, but that's not the point. The commericals say it is not recommend/tested/approve for patients with Herpes viral infection of the eye. How the hell does one go about getting herpes in thier eye? I could've sworen that herpes were warts and if so that seems not possible at all.

Lilac

The most common Herpes variant is not the STD kind, but a variety of related strains that cause a number of infections - the most common being mouth sores.

If someone is unlucky enough to get ocular herpes, they need to see a doctor, not think a commercial product will save their vision.

Jester

Elvi

Too bloody true she is......ocular herpes is very nasty.....cold soars (as we call the outbreaks of herpes around the mouth in the UK) is nasty and thank goodness I have never had the displeasure of having it, but you won't loose your lips because of it.

Mistiq

That I didn't know. I know that cold sores turn into gential herpes which has no cure. I still don't get it, if it's an infected bump on lips and they kiss a person with an open cut or bleeding chapped lips, they'll start get them to. Still if it's not in the spit or anything, how can it get in a person's eye.

Lilac

Quote from: Mistiq on November 17, 2006, 08:55:44 PM
That I didn't know. I know that cold sores turn into gential herpes which has no cure. I still don't get it, if it's an infected bump on lips and they kiss a person with an open cut or bleeding chapped lips, they'll start get them to. Still if it's not in the spit or anything, how can it get in a person's eye.

There are two main variants of Herpes.  Simplex 2 - genital herpes, and Simplex 1, which is usually associated with the face.  Nearly everyone has, or has been exposed to, simplex 1 during childhood.  Some individuals are unlucky enough to have it recur and develop in the eye - I don't think the reason is currently known at this point.  Herpes has an annoying tendency to go dormant in nerve cells, making it easy to treat (relative to say, HIV) but difficult to cure or properly study.

Elvi

To complicate matters, I believe there are about 12 different types of herpes.

One is commonly known as chicken pox/shingles, which I have and do suffer from, in fact up until recently, I wasn't allowed to give blood because I had an attack of shingles (and oh boy was that painful), when I was 11 years old.

However, strains simplex one and two, (as Lilac has just said), are the most commonly known.

Have a look at this, it is an easily understood explanation, but if it doesn't give you enough andswers just google herpes and you'll have loads to choose from.

http://www.thenakedscientists.com/HTML/columnists/chrissmithcolumn4.htm

Mistiq

Oh, that's interesting. I had no idea chicken pox were type of herpes. I am glad to have that question clarified.

Out of annoyance of not being able to get away from the gosh darn Tomkat wedding. I am I think only one sick of news media's unless coverage of celebs?