Shindo Supremacy--planning for Kingdom Supremacy has begun

Started by Jezabelle, September 05, 2017, 12:17:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jezabelle

Quote from: Zaer Darkwail on September 18, 2017, 04:01:43 AM
That makes me to ask...would the skill check influenced (in war/battle) by sheer amount of troops + eguiptment? Meaning even if there is 5 star skilled general other side with couple squads of padded leather armored sohei (peasant warriors with swords/pikes/spears/bows etc) while facing full metal armored legions of samurai led by 1 star general? Basically would numbers and gears shuffle advantage to one way or other?

The advantage would be in that the side with more soldiers can use more items (you cannot tap an item without a Unit to ante in battle) and also, if you become desparate, you may shoot them at the enemy for 1d3 apiece.

Individual unit types won't matter because while I considered this, it could potentially grow too complicated to ask people to learn.

Of course for the first unit ante'd people on both sides are going to get to roll their whole Warfared6s.

To give an example.

You have ⭐ Warfare, I have ⭐⭐⭐ Warfare.

I have two units and you have six units.

The fight begins.

You roll 1d6 and ante one unit.

I roll 3d6 and ante one unit.

This will then go you-me you-me but let's examine how much choice each side has.

Now I have little choice and you have much choice.  I may tap my weapon or armour for another roll, +1d6, but that's gonna be my last unit and if all my guys die (as may well happen when you beat me) odds are then good you'll capture me and that's no good.

Meanwhile, while odds are good my 3d6 is bigger than your 1d6, you probably have weapons and armour due to your metal surplus.  You roll 1d6 for each of those, and when you're out of items that may be used you can throw a Unit at me without tapping a weapon to roll 1d3.

Ultimately in this scenario if we both go all out, assuming we each have a weapon and armour (but I may only tap one), I will have rolled 4d6 and you will have rolled 3d6 +3d3.  Odds are good you will win, although the risks for going all in are high.  Losing after anteing all your Units makes it more likely you will be captured, and trying to not be captured is a Warfare roll so those with low warfare are even more at risk from this.

Ultimately your superior metal flow means you'll be better able to replace whatever units you do lose, high bureau gets more of them at once, and also helps build the buildings that will let you do things like produce weapons\armour\Lucky items to tap for things of all sorts (battles, rituals, negotiations, etc--Lucky items may be tapped for any roll an item may be tapped for, which is all of them I believe).

Zaer Darkwail

Well, thing is I do not have any crafting facility in start (so no extra items) so have to depend on skill and numbers :P. But crafting facility/training is what I have in mind to build.

NovembersRime

Quote from: Jezabelle on September 18, 2017, 04:20:37 AM
The advantage would be in that the side with more soldiers can use more items (you cannot tap an item without a Unit to ante in battle) and also, if you become desparate, you may shoot them at the enemy for 1d3 apiece.

Individual unit types won't matter because while I considered this, it could potentially grow too complicated to ask people to learn.

Of course for the first unit ante'd people on both sides are going to get to roll their whole Warfared6s.

To give an example.

You have ⭐ Warfare, I have ⭐⭐⭐ Warfare.

I have two units and you have six units.

The fight begins.

You roll 1d6 and ante one unit.

I roll 3d6 and ante one unit.

This will then go you-me you-me but let's examine how much choice each side has.

Now I have little choice and you have much choice.  I may tap my weapon or armour for another roll, +1d6, but that's gonna be my last unit and if all my guys die (as may well happen when you beat me) odds are then good you'll capture me and that's no good.

Meanwhile, while odds are good my 3d6 is bigger than your 1d6, you probably have weapons and armour due to your metal surplus.  You roll 1d6 for each of those, and when you're out of items that may be used you can throw a Unit at me without tapping a weapon to roll 1d3.

Ultimately in this scenario if we both go all out, assuming we each have a weapon and armour (but I may only tap one), I will have rolled 4d6 and you will have rolled 3d6 +3d3.  Odds are good you will win, although the risks for going all in are high.  Losing after anteing all your Units makes it more likely you will be captured, and trying to not be captured is a Warfare roll so those with low warfare are even more at risk from this.

Ultimately your superior metal flow means you'll be better able to replace whatever units you do lose, high bureau gets more of them at once, and also helps build the buildings that will let you do things like produce weapons\armour\Lucky items to tap for things of all sorts (battles, rituals, negotiations, etc--Lucky items may be tapped for any roll an item may be tapped for, which is all of them I believe).

Do I understand the sequence right?

1. Attack declared
2. Roll warfare against warfare with one unit
3. Tap items to throw more units if you want (1d6 for each)
4. If all else fails, throw a unit at it without tapping if you want (1d3)
5. Whoever runs out of units to toss or bolts it, loses?

Xue

Happy to modify to more warfare if that makes it easy for you, Zaer. Happy to have me?

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Xue on September 18, 2017, 11:59:36 AM
Happy to modify to more warfare if that makes it easy for you, Zaer. Happy to have me?

Sure, happy to have you in my clan :)

Zahard

...I don't even like metal, but... holy shit.

I really like Whispered. I guess Samurai and Viking Metal are my metal genres now.

Faeli

Xue

Name: Hisayo Yamashita
Sexuality (IC): heterosexual
Acceptable Encounters (OOC): Always. M/f. Non-con welcome.
Physical Description: Hisayo is a diminutive woman, her figure in exceptional physical shape thanks to a rigorous martial routine which she adheres to with almost religious fervour. Long dark hair is worn according to the need of the moment, either coiffed for ceremony or formal occasions, or braided for exercise. Warm brown eyes, a snub nose, and angular cheekbones give her a refined appearance, if slightly too soft for the pure ethereal beauty so prized at the moment. She has a preference for wearing dark colours, mostly blacks and blues, which offset her pale skin.
Personal History:
Hisayo began her professional life as a Shirabyoshi dancer and then courtesan to General Matsumoto, and her early years strengthened her awareness of military life and the art of diplomacy as it was practiced around the war table. After the General's death of old age, she joined the military as a recruit, and worked hard to develop physical strength which was the major obstacle to her success. Her knowledge of strategy, ability to persuade others to her point of view, and the agility developed through years of dance, Hisayo was not a brilliant soldier, but made an excellent officer. Her current allegiance to Clan Gunba comes in part from the Lord's willingness to promote based on merit rather than gender, and to accept a military commander who prefers to win through diplomacy as much as warfare, so long as victory is obtained.

Culture: Shindo
Ethnicity: Shindo

Etiquette: ⭐⭐⭐
Bureaucracy: ⭐
Warfare: ⭐⭐⭐

Growth Stars:  ⭐⭐⭐ (you use these to increase stats at the end of the year if your Clan has the right building)

Inventory:  Lucky Beads [Tapped 0/2]

Jezabelle

Quote from: Xue on September 18, 2017, 09:56:54 PM
-snip

Approved, looking lovely.

Quote from: Faeli on September 18, 2017, 08:33:44 PM
Well hell, if we are sharing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDsdkoln59A&list=PLYxZl5JsbZqDN-HSBzIgMXmE8Ts08k-pu

I'm a big fan of that series myself.

EDIT

Just saw this question, let me address it:

Quote from: DiktatrSquid on September 18, 2017, 04:49:44 AM
Do I understand the sequence right?

1. Attack declared
2. Roll warfare against warfare with one unit
3. Tap items to throw more units if you want (1d6 for each)
4. If all else fails, throw a unit at it without tapping if you want (1d3)
5. Whoever runs out of units to toss or bolts it, loses?

This is true, with one exception--Clans with the Warlike trait get to roll 1d4 per Unit thrown in without tapping.  Additionally those with Speardance roll 1d6+1 when tapping a weapon.

Although for #5, the victor is determined simply by the highest number.  Someone could fold (stop sending out Units) and the other person could keep unloading but not get a higher number.

Xue

Zahard

I'm still not sure I quite understand how the combat system works. Can we get another example?

Jezabelle

Don't worry if this looks complicated, all you'll need to tell me is what to tap and if to ante or fold.

Quote from: Zahard on September 18, 2017, 10:47:08 PM
I'm still not sure I quite understand how the combat system works. Can we get another example?

General A:
Warfare: ⭐⭐⭐
5 Units
Elegant Katana [3/4] <wep>
Lucky Beads [0/2]

General B:
Warfare: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
4 Units
Quality Armour [3/5]<arm>
Lucky Beads [1/2]

nb: you cannot tap more than 1 weapon and more than 1 armour in a single fight

Combat Begins:

Gen. A rolls 3d6, gets a
Total: 13

Gen. B
rolls 4d6, gets a
Total: 12

General B is losing and their Unit dies.

Turn 1:
Gen. A antes a Unit, rolls 1d6 by tapping Elegant Katana (reaching 4/4 and thus breaking the item)
Result: 2
Total: 15

Gen. B
Gen. B antes a Unit, rolls 1d6 by tapping Quality Armour (reaching 4/5, only having one use left which cannot be in this battle where it was already tapped)
Result: 3
Total: 15

General A's and B's anted Units die due to the tie.

Turn 2:
Gen. A antes a Unit, rolls 1d6 by tapping Lucky Beads (reaching 1/2)
Result: 6
Total: 21

Gen. B antes a Unit, rolls 1d6 by tapping Lucky Beads (reaching 2/2, breaking them)
Result:
Total: 3
Total: 18

General B is losing and their Unit dies.

(((at this point in time General B is looking at only one more Unit left they could ante, and that would have to be 1d3.  The best he could hope for then is a tie, which the defender wins, but that's assuming General A isn't willing to ante more units to guarantee victory--which General A almost certainly is; thus General B decides to fold, with 3 of the 4 units they brought into this fight dead; additionally it would be very Hard to escape if they anted all their Units and then lose, whereas now it will be an Easy test)))

Turn 3:
Gen. A antes a Unit without tapping, rolls 1d3
Result: 3
Total: 24

((why does General A still go?  Simple: they go first and don't know if General B will tape or not.  There's a 33.3% repeating chance they'll get a tie if they were to fold and the other side roll, whereas anteing now is low risk (unit almost certainly isn't going to die) and assures victory more cleanly))

Gen. B folds.  General A could keep rolling but there's no reason, so they too fold, victorious.

Gen. B attempts to escape, rolling their Warfare.  They easily beat the required 6 with a Result of 10.

Results:
Gen. A has lost 1/5 Units brought to the fight.
Gen. B has lost 3/4 Units brought to the fight.

General A has won +2 Prestige for his clan by achieving victory, and if the attacker also a new territory worth +1 Prestige and all other attending features of the territory.

Zahard

OK

I get it now. Thank you.

How quick is each turn supposed to go? What happens if someone ends up not putting in an order in time?

Jezabelle

Quote from: Zahard on September 18, 2017, 11:18:32 PM
OK

I get it now. Thank you.

How quick is each turn supposed to go? What happens if someone ends up not putting in an order in time?

Two turns\week so 3.5 days, but as for Combat, as quickly as possible.

Ideally people will give me standing orders (if I begin to lose, withdraw; go all out; go all out but don't ante my last unit 'cause I don't wanna get captured).  Also there were rules for one-on-one fights and supporting but the more I think about it the more I want to axe all that and just have every general feed into the same Total for their side.  Makes everyone's life easier.

And of course one may entrust a fellow player, likely your ruler, to make calls for you.

edit:
I've made escaping when you've anted 100% of units a little bit easier (10 instead of 16 so it's not basically impossible for most people) and updated the rules to reflect all battles being one big stompfest rather than paired off 1v1s.

Aiden

Name: Cervantes Del Mar
Sexuality (IC): Hetrosexual
Acceptable Encounters (OOC): Discuss first please
Physical Description: Tall and sculpted from a lifelong obsession with the seas, Cervantes tends to keep his hair long and his facial hair trimmed short. He is handsome by Yunar standards, his features may come off as exotic to the people of Shindo.
Personal History: Eldest son of Hector Del Mar, the Sea Lord of the Yunar people. He has been groomed to take his father’s place and entrusted with the responsibility of providing for their growing numbers. The death of the Emperor has created a window of opportunity to expand their influence and seek new lands to settle.

Culture: Spear Dance, a trial of adulthood which hones the mind martially, +1 to rolls made by tapping weapons.
Ethnicity: Yunar Exiles

Etiquette: ⭐⭐
Bureaucracy: ⭐⭐⭐
Warfare: ⭐⭐

Growth Stars:  ⭐⭐⭐ (you use these to increase stats at the end of the year if your Clan has the right building)

Inventory:  Lucky Beads [Tapped 0/2]

Jezabelle

Accepted with the caveat that he seems more Ethnically Krai Folk (European looking), Culture is independent of Ethnicity so you can still have Spear Dance.

Aiden

Jezabelle

Gang Orders
Reave:
Raid any territory you may move to through an unbroken chain of unoccupied territories.  Unlike Raid it may be used to target territories not held by any Great Clan, where the test to raid is merely a Moderate (10) Warfare roll rather than a Hard (16) Warfare roll.  Like raid, it denies that territory's resources to anyone through year's end.  When successfully Reave-ing neutral territories there is a chance to gain random loot--items, weapons, armour, and the like.  This is your only means of acquiring such things unless you can arrange a personal trade or take them directly from a player.  Failed Reaves result in the death of a unit of Bandits.

Kidnap:
If you can path to a territory as in Reave and there is a character present (defending, attacking, etc) in this province then you may battle them in single combat.  This means getting higher than their total contribution to the battle.  Regardless of which side wins the battle, you take them as your prisoner unless they make a Hard (16) Warefare roll to escape.  You gain one of their items randomly and take possession of them as your captive.

Bandit  Actions:
Organize Pirate Flotilla:  Specify a sea lane.  If you pass an Easy (6) Bureaucracy test you may Reave across that lane this turn.  Otherwise -1 Bandit, their unit drowning in the attempt to steal ships.

Bandit Stats:
Bandits:  How many bandits you have, they're worth 1d2 when ante'd alone. +1/turn while Morale at or above 90%. -1/turn while Morale at or below 25%.
Morale:  100% (this falls by 10% every turn you don't Reave or Kidnap and rises by 5% up to max when you do).

Above are the bandit rules released ahead of launch in the interests of transparency of play, i.e., I don't want anyone to feel something is cheating because the possibility it could occur wasn't pre-announced.

FollonStars

Would all rolling (Bureaucracy, Warfare, and Etiquette) be 1d6 for each star you have in the category? If someone were to have only one star in Bureaucracy, they would never be able to construct a building because it's a moderate roll.

And what exactly is Prestige for? Outside of looking good, does it have a purpose?

Jezabelle

Quote from: FollonStars on September 19, 2017, 10:06:35 PM
Would all rolling (Bureaucracy, Warfare, and Etiquette) be 1d6 for each star you have in the category? If someone were to have only one star in Bureaucracy, they would never be able to construct a building because it's a moderate roll.

Yes, but two factors play into that being OK:

• They may Assist others.
  • They may tap relevant\Lucky items.
Quote from: FollonStars on September 19, 2017, 10:06:35 PM
And what exactly is Prestige for? Outside of looking good, does it have a purpose?

It plays into Right to Rule.  Suffice to say someone without sufficient prestige, in terms of raw numbers and in comparison to their potential competition, cannot ascend the Imperial Throne.

Edit:
Thank you for pointing this out FollonStars because I just re-read the action list and there is no Assist Building listed.  It was, however, intended and will be added.

Edit 2:
I've replaced it with a system where you can always help the building process, basically (Bureaucracy roll total x 0.1) Build Points added per Build action.

Aiden

Bedroom Lazarus

Don't worry, when i'm done with them, many will join you in exile.  I hear china is lovely this time of year.
Passion is something no man can resist eternally.
Temptation will burn through a soul, devour its purity and intoxicate all those who are in its path.
Fret not oh lost little lamb, for you shall be led by the wolf with a cross to the green pastures promised you all the same. 
Open to ideas and messages

The Sins that Beckon Me

Jezabelle

After initiating a victory condition if you have not been disqualified from that condition by the end of the year you achieve that victory. 

You Clan is victorious when they achieve one of the below, but only counted as defeated if they have no territory at the end of the game.  Sometimes survival comes before glory--but there is no reward without risk.

It should be noted that while the below are the set-in-stone paths to victory, history is full of little surprises, and emergent events and player-driven decisions may bring about a different resolution to the game than those resolutions preordained below.

Becoming the Emperor
You may initiate this victory as your Clan Order for the year if the following conditions are met:

• At Least 150 Prestige.
  • Top 1/3rd in Prestige for All Remaining Clans.
  • Krai Folk and Yunar Exiles either acknowledge you as the Legitimate Emperor or have been eliminated.
By becoming the Emperor you directly assume the powers, obligations, and honours of the Imperial Throne as it has previously existed.  This means you control all of Shindo and are acknowledged as its rightful ruler as part of the ancient unbroken chain of succession.  With unquestionable authority you will proceed to rule the land.

Establishing a Shogunate
You may initiate this victory as your Clan Order for the year if the following conditions are met:

• At Least 100 Prestige
  • Control at Least 1/3rd of All Territories (17 out of 51, if my last count is correct)
  • Top 50% in Prestige for All Remaining Clans
  • Support of at Least One [1] Other Clan
By Establishing a Shogunate you carve our a new rule for your Clan, ascending to dominance over the others.  For all intents and purposes your Clan becomes the ruling house of Shindo, although this is a less clean arrangement without the same degree of historical authority it does grant you freedom from re-establishing old ordinances of the Imperial Throne (i.e.: no need to obtain the fealty of Krai Folk\Yunar Exiles).

Establishing Hegemony
At the end of the game, if the following is true your Clan is victorious:

• No Other Clans Remain

Winning Independence (Krai Folk & Yunar Exiles)
At the end of the game, even if you have not become the Shogun, you may win a minor victory by breaking away and becoming an independent realm.

• Cannot Acknowledge New Emperor
  • Control All Starting Territory