Defenders of Humanity, Harbingers of Oblivion

Started by The Great Triangle, June 03, 2008, 08:23:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Great Triangle

In the year 2208, Humanity stands on the brink of extinction.  Ancient threats have reawakened, and gone on to wreak havoc throughout the world.  To counter this threat, the remaining parts of the UN created a desperate initiative, the Department of Paranormal Defense and Security, to push back the encroaching darkness and save humanity.

The small game Hellfire and Brimstone could use a few more players, particularly on the human side.  Over the top supernatural characters will be accepted, but there's a place for fairly mundane humans who win because they are heroes too.  The game focuses on drama and interaction between characters, as well as high octane action scenes. 

Character Roster Thread

The main roleplaying thread of the game

Please PM either I or Dragoondog (the game's GM) if you have any questions!
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Elohim

Nazora

Would you be willing to accept a a human character who's only ability is actually a curse that allows people to transform what she is wearing and her appearance basically at will, with certain physical size and power limits to prevent combat god-moding but versatile enough to keep her extremely entertaining for a number of people. The person enacting the transformation would have to trigger a certain emotion in my character in order to access the ability, and any change in form I took would only last for three days if not maintained by the opposite character.

I could easily be used by an enterprising master as a sex toy, combat grunt, or both depending on the changes chosen.   
All about what I like!

Info: I find that 98% of the time my interest in a story outlasts that of the other party. If you are no longer interested in continuing a story, please let me know promptly so I'm not checking the thread.  Thank you.

Status: Posting a bit slowly due to chaotic schedule, bear with me please.

Dragoondawg25

hmmm interesting, but explain it to me a little more, so your saying that your character becomes the object of someone elses desire?
Heterosexual Switch: Humor DLC included
My Discord: Dragoondawg2582
Ons & Offs

Nazora

Exactly, with limitations to keep it from becoming stupid, so I don't end up becoming a stockpile of enchanted nuclear warheads that wipes out the entire world or some other ridiculous thing.

Basically, anyone with the ability to concentrate would be able to change my shape and appearance. But only one person at a time could claim the right, thus becoming a claiment or master until they lose interest, die, or someone stronger takes control.

Naturally, I would try to keep it secret, but that would be difficult as anyone could merely concentrate on me as having bigger breasts and a whorish outfit and the changes would start occurring, not immediately, but over the course of a few minutes. That person would then become my master until events changed that.

Sexual changes would be the easiest to manifest as it easier for people to concentrate on sex. Breast size, hormonal changes, nerve changes, vaginal changes, etc.  But I could be manipulated deftly by a skillful master into a variety of things. Ex: Certain humaniod or animalistic Inanimate objects such as sex dolls, andriods, robot form, animals, anthromorphs of animals, hybrids, chimeras, tentacle beasts or various odd creations, forms of other people (Dooplegangers), etc. The more technical changes would require greater power and concentration.

A master would not be able to control my mind or alter my free will, I'd have to be enticed to willingly follow a masters wishes.
All about what I like!

Info: I find that 98% of the time my interest in a story outlasts that of the other party. If you are no longer interested in continuing a story, please let me know promptly so I'm not checking the thread.  Thank you.

Dragoondawg25

hmmm so the character would basically be a living weapon at the disposal of anybody that can put a leash on her, which would make her alliance in the game shift from time to time, if certain factions got ahold of her per say.

Very very interesting, i would like to see how this looks on paper.
Ons & Offs

Shadowz

If the Brood had say.... some pretty powerful... oh, i don't know... psychic vampire at their disposal... it could be the sort of thing she could exploit.... perhaps...

The Great Triangle

Would be pretty interesting, although the core member of the DPDS is an honorable genderless construct built by Ben Franklin, so she'd be fairly unlikely to get exploited sexually while serving the DPDS.  The brood however...

Ons and Offs

Shadowz

Well... Corrine has her own 'interests' well met *winks*, Likely Dorian would be a potential... the mucky old immortal

Elohim

We could turn her into a pogostick, so I could show you a trick, she had so many friends, with just one pogo stick...  bounce, pogo,pogo,pogo,pogo bounce!

Uh...  hmmm

RubySlippers

Ok how about a normal human with a wicked knowledge of occult lore and has all sort of tricks and magic gimmicks from runes and warding circles to odd magic relics, kind of like one of the skilled hunters in the tv show Supernatural. Give her body armor, some guns and baubles, powders, a spellbook or two and lots of guts.

Dragoondawg25

hmmm like a witch hunter or witcher so to speak interesting i like it.  And yes shadowz, ya wicked little psychic vampire would have a hay day with a character like that lol* winks*
Ons & Offs

Shadowz

Quote from: Dragoondawg25 on June 03, 2008, 09:15:55 PM
hmmm like a witch hunter or witcher so to speak interesting i like it.  And yes shadowz, ya wicked little psychic vampire would have a hay day with a character like that lol* winks*

*grins* I like the thought of turning their own weapon against them... course i would need to be able to maintain my concentration... not that easy at the best of times for me at any rate *grins*

Quote from: Seraph on June 03, 2008, 09:12:09 PM

We could turn her into a pogostick, so I could show you a trick, she had so many friends, with just one pogo stick...  bounce, pogo,pogo,pogo,pogo bounce!

Uh...  hmmm

*cracks up*

GrinningHound

What about an artist who can bring his work to life?

He'd be sort of insane, as a result of his infinite creative potential, but also a genius.

Physically frail, but mentally indomitable.  Too much creating at one time, however, would stress and exhaust him, possibly causing temporary insanity and dementia.  He could make giant robots or monsters and have them smash things, he could draw heavily armored power suits, or cover battlefields in hypnotizing patterns and illusions.

Hmm...

Also, possibly, I like the wrecking ball archetype.  Physically unstoppable, mentally a normal person.  It's always fun to rip tanks apart with one's hands and suck down cannon fire with a smile.

Nazora

That's the idea, but it could be toned down or ramped up depending on how pivotal to the plot you'd like it be.

I was thinking maximal power changes, at the very most, of a fairly standard android, monster, demon, but nothing more powerful than that. If I was used as a weapon, changes in form would not be able to take place during combat, and reversions back may heal major wounds but leave me useless and highly vulnerable for a prolonged time. Possible even a mini-version of my actual self, like a three inch tall scale model. I wouldn't be very combat knowledgeable , so if I was sent out untrained I'd probably fail or die.

I like humiliation, so being turned into a pogo-stick would actually work for me, though I'd be able to do nothing unless allowed inanimate animation. Then I could hop around angrily. Or I could be a dish rag that could crawl over your dirty dishes to clean them.

I'll make a character sheet and submit it tomorrow or the next day. I try to post every day if it's an active RP.

All about what I like!

The Great Triangle

Tank we've pretty much got locked down for the DPDS with my character, Frankie, having taken...

*begins counting, has to use both hands*

Two high powered energy balls to the chest, repeated kicks to the face, an artillery stabilization rod rammed through his gut, telekinetic strangulation, being cut in half with a sword, 1 clip of high caliber APDU rifle ammo to the face, 2 clips of 45 caliber ammunition center mass, and having both hands cut off

Just during the course of the current combat encounter.  That's just the wounds I can remember, and to be fair, he did completely regenerate before being cut in half with a sword.

The artist idea sounds really good though.  If you want to play a tank, a character with some kind of mecha or a literal tank might help differentiate your character from mine.

Ons and Offs

Elohim

Your starting to Sound like a none pretty Haji from Blood+ Triangle good show.

Dragoondawg25

Ons & Offs

Elohim

School Girl goes vampire queen, goes vampire slayer...  with a healthy dosage of teenage angst.

GrinningHound

Illusions could be fun.

You can't kill illusions, no matter how much damage they take, but if a living opponent believes it, it can still hurt them.

Dragoondawg25

am partial to vampire hunter D and Hellsing *Smirks to Seraph*
Ons & Offs

Shadowz

Quote from: Dragoondawg25 on June 03, 2008, 09:42:29 PM
am partial to vampire hunter D and Hellsing *Smirks to Seraph*

Ohh, me too *grins*

I kind of think that the illusions will be ineffective for both myself and Elohim though...

Elohim

Good old Alucard...

Its true,  No brain...  *Knocks on head*

Dragoondawg25

Ons & Offs

Elohim

The Cromwell initiave is now in affect, Something, until the target has been permantly silenced.

I needed a way for a powerful character to be able to take on weaker characters.  *Grin* it seemed like the logical choice.

Videospirit

The plot to this one seems interesting I suppose.

Is the reason it's in extreme just because of the extreme violence?

There's a few routes I could take... Mystic Martial Artist, Wire user, Guy with a Really Big Gun, Remote Control Robots User

GrinningHound

QuoteI kind of think that the illusions will be ineffective for both myself and Elohim though...

Can they think and perceive their surroundings?  If so, they are subject to illusions.

Shadowz

Quote from: GrinningHound on June 03, 2008, 09:53:22 PM
Can they think and perceive their surroundings?  If so, they are subject to illusions.

Corrine is a highly adept psychic vampire who is eternally bound to the flowing life stream of the planet... she would be able to see beyond illusions as well as register anything that contains a flicker of soul energy... and who is also bound to an ancient Mayan goddess

Elohim is a mechanical weapon of the divine... and would be immune to suggestion

Edit: Elohim is a sexy ass mechanical weapon of the divine *grins*

Dragoondawg25

Quote from: Videospirit on June 03, 2008, 09:48:48 PM
The plot to this one seems interesting I suppose.

Is the reason it's in extreme just because of the extreme violence?

There's a few routes I could take... Mystic Martial Artist, Wire user, Guy with a Really Big Gun, Remote Control Robots User

its in the extreme for the nature of the game can go to the gory side of things, and any one of those would work thou we do have the guy with the really big gun already taken in the game, any of the others are welcome.  I would just need a character sheet to approve by.
Ons & Offs

The Great Triangle

I believe they're sense data illusions, rather than psychic illusions.

Epistimologically, they exist as sense perceptions, and create all of the sense information that normal things do.  By creating very realistic tactile sensations, they overload one's cognitive matrix, thereby enabling them to affect any sentient being.  (note that that is sentient, not sapient.  A self aware computer is sapient but not sentient, while a very realistic android is sentient but not sapient.)

Scientifically, they consist of light, heat, and sonic vibrations tuned to cunning frequencies, stimulating anyone that can perceive.  Therefore, a bond to the planet soul would only discipline one to survive the pain caused by the illusions more easily, while being an android might enable one to disable their senses to escape the illusions.

Fundamentally, beware my handwave of DOOOOOOOM!!

Ons and Offs

Elohim

Quote from: Shadowz on June 03, 2008, 09:56:59 PM
Corrine is a highly adept psychic vampire who is eternally bound to the flowing life stream of the planet... she would be able to see beyond illusions as well as register anything that contains a flicker of soul energy... and who is also bound to an ancient Mayan goddess

Elohim is a mechanical weapon of the divine... and would be immune to suggestion

Edit: Elohim is a sexy ass mechanical weapon of the divine *grins*

*Licks finger touches rump,  followed by a sizzle.*

Thank you babe...

Shadowz

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 03, 2008, 10:02:35 PM
I believe they're sense data illusions, rather than psychic illusions.

Epistimologically, they exist as sense perceptions, and create all of the sense information that normal things do.  By creating very realistic tactile sensations, they overload one's cognitive matrix, thereby enabling them to affect any sentient being.  (note that that is sentient, not sapient.  A self aware computer is sapient but not sentient, while a very realistic android is sentient but not sapient.)

Scientifically, they consist of light, heat, and sonic vibrations tuned to cunning frequencies, stimulating anyone that can perceive.  Therefore, a bond to the planet soul would only discipline one to survive the pain caused by the illusions more easily, while being an android might enable one to disable their senses to escape the illusions.

Fundamentally, beware my handwave of DOOOOOOOM!!

..erm... but if they contain no wisp of soul energy, which Cozza can sense easily, she would regard them as suspicious and likely unreal... and her binding to the planet doesn't save her from pain, rather its the greatest cause of pain to her...

beware my drunken Aussie Logic of doom.....!

The Great Triangle

Hounds illusions seemed to be based on D&D illusions, and I realized my explanation  was essentially a very specialized psychic power.  (Or more likely, a power devised to save a psychic the pain of actually realizing he was using his powers to hurt people.)

D&D illusions don't carry the mind affecting trait, so they affect creatures without brains.  Perception increasing abilities, like planet sparks, do work against D&D illusions however. 

Of course, if the artist is capable of creating weapons from sculptures, then his illusions would have much less narrative protection.

Rule 3: Never nullify a character's only skill without a good reason.   :)

Ons and Offs

GrinningHound

Illusions don't just have to hurt.  They are, in fact, more useful as trickery.

It's the real things they hide, that hurt. ;D  Or don't hide, depending on just how crafty the illusionist is.

"Bah, those must all be fake, I can ignore them."

"Most of them!"

"Oh..."  *looks down at the cannon hole in their chest.*

And who's to say someone so wily couldn't replicate the soul energy? ;D

Videospirit

A bond with the planet would allow one to know that any illusions of living things are not alive as well, but I doubt it would do much against a perfect illusionary fire yeah.

Although if an illusionist could see soul energy themselves, they could replicate that too.

Although a non psychological illusion that replicates all senses is kind of wonky, since it's basically indistinguishable from a real thing, aside from the lack of actual force, and makes my mind go absolutely nuts thinking about how it could possibly work as a standalone entity. Targeted Sensory Stimulation on the other hand is easy enough to believe, and is probably more useful too since you wouldn't make your team mates see the illusion as well. Well... unless you wanted them to.

A toss between wire user and martial artist for me than I guess... Although a weapons junky was my top choice. I'll have to consider it a bit... Got a lot of stuff to think about

In regards to D&D Illusions.

Because figments and glamers (see below) are unreal, they cannot produce real effects the way that other types of illusions can. They cannot cause damage to objects or creatures, support weight, provide nutrition, or provide protection from the elements. Consequently, these spells are useful for confounding or delaying foes, but useless for attacking them directly.

The only illusions that can produce real effects are mind affecting or shadow(partially real).

The Great Triangle

I think we could fit in another supercommando, but possibly more along the lines of sniper or pistol duelist rather than vulcan raven. 

Ons and Offs

Dragoondawg25

Grinninghound here is the reason i dont think that illusions would work well, especially against the brood, as they are the elite of the elite, and an illusion would have to be something that they could believe in, and these creatures arent easily manipulated, now an ability to draw reality would be something interesting, the magic pen of doom, that which can be sort of like the Green lantern ring made into a pen.

Ons & Offs

GrinningHound

Though illusions can't exert any force, they can still confound, especially inanimate illusions.

The illusion of a forest or a snowstorm obscures vision just as much as a forest.  Also, mix illusions in with the 'real' effects from his magic drawings, and you get one hell or a strategist and manipulator.

What about a walking 'battery'.  Just...ridiculous gunnery, the ability to overload electronics and paralyze and fry living opponents with electrical surges.

Is there a mecha pilot with a particularly awesome mecha?

The Great Triangle

No, but we really need one!

Although he might want to consider having the mecha be an iron man suit piloting a mecha so he can go between power levels.

For the really crazy situations, he could have a mecha for his mecha to pilot. 

Ons and Offs

Videospirit

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 03, 2008, 11:48:05 PM
No, but we really need one!

Although he might want to consider having the mecha be an iron man suit piloting a mecha so he can go between power levels.

And I'll form the head!

I'd be up for one of the pilots of a combinable mecha :)

GrinningHound

Being 'one of' a combinable mecha doesn't really appeal to me.  I like to be unique.

I do like the idea of having like an Iron Man suit (his walking battery) that jacks in to his mecha when he needs to pilot it for some really huge firepower.

The Great Triangle

Different types of mecha can work pretty well toghether, so you could always have the powersuit guy who has a powersuit for his powersuit and the emo kid piloting the barely controlled genetically engineered horror.  Other good types of mecha include macross style jets that can transform into humanoid shape for close combat or space combat, and the classic battletech "fusion powered walking fortress" sort of killing machine.

Point is, there's lots of options out there for prospective mecha pilots!   :)

Ons and Offs

Ajoxer

Hmmm...

How about nightmares? There's no fun for them if they don't have humans anymore, I imagine one of them might be interested in helping the humans. Of course, he'd be a little limited in direct combat, because people rarely fight in their sleep...

But then, there's always possession. Wink wink.
I have a shock collar, designed for maximum Player/GM efficiency. If you see that I have not properly been fulfilling my duties in posting regularly, or a game being held back because I haven't posted, PM me and give me hell!

Elohim

The Great Triangle

Given how evangelical the brood of the Abyss tends to be, they'll probably convert a fair number of the new DPDS recruits to their side after a while.

As for a nightmare monster, it might work fairly well, but he'll pretty much be limited to affecting extras unless he has his own thread where he engages in psychopomp against his enemies.  (probably doing very little harm, but fleshing out characters and sowing doubts.)

Currently, the setting of the game has tended more towards super alchemy and magic rather than super science, although that doesn't mean that super science powered characters can't appear in the game. 

Ons and Offs

Shadowz

Quote from: Seraph on June 04, 2008, 10:08:51 AM
We're starting to be outnumbered here...

So it seems.... but, i think we are still OK.... at the very least we can

*whispers something to Elohim and grins*

Elohim

*Blushes*  That sounds fun,  but is it really a tactical advantage?

Shadowz

*glances across your sexy ass* More of a tactile advantage i would say

The Great Triangle

Ah, Shoujo Ai, a power that deflects even high explosive artillery shells...

I wonder if the DPDS was actually insane enough to build other combat androids...

So far we've got a flesh golem and an iron golem, so that still leaves a stone golem and a clay golem.  With any luck, they would be more likely to think for themselves and not go rogue just because of a computer virus and a psychic vampire they happen to fall in love with.  On the other hand, those heavy materials are ponderous, and who knows what actually happened to Issac Newton's golem of doom?

Ons and Offs

jisko888

Quote from: Great Triangle on June 03, 2008, 11:48:05 PM

Tengen-Toppa Gurren-Lagann

I think in the end the had 5 mechs inside eachother.

P.S. and Kyle is so getting himself a gundam too, or maybe just carry around one of its guns.

Elohim

*Smiles*  I love computer viruses...

*Ponders*

The Great Triangle

Well, Frankie has alchemy as a secondary skill, so it would seem only fair that Elohim have hacking as a secondary skill.

Of course, then you're starting to get into Major Kusanagi territory...

But Elohim didn't really have any family to horribly die in a plane crash which destroyed her body.

Ah, destroyed body...

Ons and Offs

Elohim

*grin*  Nah, I wasn't actually going to go that route.  If we've got a few people coming in with mechanical toys I want to keep things nice and fair,  the capability to over ride mechanical objects just wouldn't be fair.

Shadowz

*grins* especially when there are some interesting and fun alternatives that come to mind... incidentally... how many mechathingumyjigs are actually facing now?

The Great Triangle

Depends on how many people actually go and post character sheets.  Most likely between one and three or so. 

Ons and Offs

Shadowz

OK... variation is always good though... but curious... if there are two/three of them are they going to be able to combine forces? like some MukkyMechaMonsta

The Great Triangle

That's up to the players to decide.  Combining mechas is mostly a way to give the enemy a single big target to shoot at, instead of having to deal with a bunch of little problems.

On the other hand, it also seems to increase reactor output exponentially, which is a really good thing when you're dealing with Tim Taylor Technology .

Ons and Offs

Dragoondawg25

we can also accept some characters i know were wanting to be with the brood, so we shall see how this pans out, i got one character sheet so far.  either way it shows potential the ideas being thrown out.
Ons & Offs

GrinningHound

DPDC:
Frankie (tank among other talents)
Gerrard (werewolf, I would assume combat and light tank)
Ghost (time control)
Alex (super soldier, combat spec (but not necessarily 'tank')
Train (augmented norm, combat spec and strength)

Brood:
Elohim (tank and assault)
Damien (unkillable, strong)
Sayuri (speed, strength, combat)
Itzpaplotl (psychic vampire)
Gray (immortal, intelligent, experienced)

Is this roster correct?  I assume you are looking for more DPDS because some players have dropped?

If so, could you please tell me what the current roster looks like so I could develop a character that would fit best?

Dragoondawg25

that is the current roster the only problem is that people are having outside interferenece with playing, so their characters are put in the background for now, you can add to the roster is what we are trying to do to get more people involved.
Ons & Offs

Shadowz

My character name is Corrine... Itzpaplotl is the bound Mayan goddess with Corrine, its a little more complex than a psychic vamp, but thats the basics...

Elohim

DPDC:
Frankie (tank among other talents)
Gerrard (werewolf, I would assume combat and light tank)
Ghost (time control)
Alex (super soldier, combat spec (but not necessarily 'tank')
Train (augmented norm, combat spec and strength) *May return soon

Brood:
Elohim (tank and assault)
Damien (unkillable, strong)
Sayuri (speed, strength, combat)
Itzpaplotl (psychic vampire)
Gray (immortal, intelligent, experienced)

Currently active members are not struck through....

GrinningHound

Ah, I see.  I figured something like that was the situation.

Shadowz, I just went by what you had listed as "Alias' and skimmed over the characters and powers briefly, so please excuse my inaccuracy.

So, aside from my loony creator/illusionist artist, or my battlesuit/mecha pilot idea, I have always really had a think for overwhelming PHYSICAL might, being able to take tank fire and ion lasers and throw trucks tremendous distances.

What about an Absorber type, who actually sucks in energy and momentum?  So, if a giant robot swung a steel girder at him, it would wrap around his body and he wouldn't even move.  Likewise, he is resistant to opposing forces, so when he exerts strength himself, it is overwhelming.

This sounds more like a magical or super-science type of technology than any sort of natural ability.  Maybe his 'battlesuit' harnesses incredibly dense Dark Matter and electromagnetism?

Dragoondawg25

ok wait so what would be the characters weak points then, it would have to be negative energy right?
Ons & Offs

GrinningHound

What *is* negative energy?  Something like that would of course be very harmful to him.

Everyone has a weakness.  If poison could get into him, it would still hurt him, or gas (but his suit would of course protect him from that).  He would not be immune to psionic effects or other mind manipulation, though as a scientist or sorcerer he would have SOME amount of ability to resist.

The Great Triangle

Absorption sounds a bit too overpowered of an ability in my opinion.  Sayuri also already has an energy manipulation ability, so it might end up being a little awkward.

Frankie, for example, has great strength, alarming endurance, and an ability to create plans to react to any situation.  However, he's pretty helpless in ranged combat, pretty easy to disable via telekinesis and other psychic powers, and has a serious weakness against water, as well as being knocked into the air.  (He refuses to board ships for this reason, although he's okay with aircraft.  At least until the Brood get their hands on some powerful air interceptors)

Generally, I think it's healthier for the game when every character has the ability to to defeated by any other character, not just those with obscure abilities and skills.  A battlesuit character would have phenomenal strength, but still be subject to being peeled out of his battlesuit, having his battlesuit shut down somehow, or psychic manipulation.  A battlesuit with funky invulnerable defensive technologies does not have as many of these weaknesses.

Of course, I'm not the GM, and I tend to be negative about lots of character concepts, so take my advice with a grain of salt!   :)

Ons and Offs

Elohim

Do you really want to leave the fate of humanity in the hands of a golem with a barbie doll crotch that eats the remains of his fallen companions?  Join now, save the world,  or die in the attempt.  Stare down murderous lesbians,  a teenage demi-goddess intent of having her own sick version of playdates,  and the fop that just won't die. 

Do it!  Act now, and receive your own 14 inch Frankie figurine,  complete with tesla coil, and the liberty torch!  The DPDS has a great life insurance policy,  feed your family by getting teared limb from limb,  everyone wins!

Adere

LOL -falls over laughing-

And the demi goddess is 21! She's not a teen for gods sake dammit >_<

Now for other news

Banished princess demi goddess looking for a sexy dominant demi male god to wreck havoc upon the world with, or possibly fight against and get seduced by later on ;). Imagine the fun to be had! Though for warning, she's very stubborn and strong willed, she's a challenge!

Also, for those of you who join the DPDS or whatever, we will be offering a    regenerating Dorian doll with a free pair of scissors. No Matter how many times you decapitate him, his head always grows back! :o!