What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

Quote from: Wolfy on January 26, 2011, 08:28:33 PM
I dunno, Sabby.....Would you find hearing a baby crying or hearing a play-mobile (One of those spinny things that plays music above Cribs) playing in the background, while on a space station that's clearly gone to hell, kicked Satan's ass, and infected him....unnerving?

Nope, because I know that all that will come of it is a monster jumping out from behind the crib and I always have the tools to deal with such a situation. The most that will come of it is I won't be expecting the ambush and I'll be very surprised. They're jump scares. I know I said I'd stop here, but you did ask me a question, and this topic is annoying me more then usual with Dead Space 2 being on everyones minds... I feel like the only person in this topic that see's Dead Space as a straight up shooter with about as much horror merit to it as a Steven Seagal film if all enemies were replaced with ground beef held together with knives and all dialogue was just animal growls and steak in blenders.

So either I'm the odd one out or everyone's gone crazy, and I don't like either option x.x

A good scary game is the kind you don't even want to look at the bad guys for more then a second, because that's one second they spend getting closer to you, when you wanna get the fuck away from them. You have very little or no incentive to fight. You want horror? Go play Clock Tower, or Amnesia, then tell me that Dead Space is still scary to you, and if it is, then I'll gladly accept my badge of 'Social Reject'

Yorubi

I'm playing Champions Online since its free now... though when I say play, I mean messing around making random characters for fun rather then really playing it all to much.  ;D

Wolfy

Well Sabby, since horror and 'scary' is something subjective, neither of us can really be 'Right'. :/

I'll say this, though. Dead Space nails the Horror part down easily. There are images and moments that will haunt your nightmares.

ooh...and for an Extra Challenge and to go for Sabby's "Omg this isn't a Survival Horror Game", I must mention Hard Core Mode, which makes Health and Ammo Scarce, and also gives you only 3 Saves, much like the Limited saves from Resident Evil, basically making the game as realistic as one can get. (Excluding the whole setting and everything.)

Sabby

Giving you less ammo make's it much more scarier in the same way that giving you only one clip in Halo make's it suddenly terrifying...

>.< in other news, Zombie's are friggen awesome, and so is Undead Nightmare. Kind of pissed I bought Hydrophobia though. What a waste of potential.

Spell

Darling,
What is going on...
Honestly that never happened,
Lying is your favorite passion...

Wolfy

Oy, Sabby, I don't think you can ever be happy with..well, anything. :/ I just told you, Hard Core Mode puts you up against insurmountable odds with Limited Ammo, Health, and only 3 saves, putting you into the most realistic setting possible in a survival horror game..and still you no happy. o3o Oy.....

I realize that you like "Fear of the Unknown" style horror games, but still. :/

zoarster

Not really a note on what I'm playing so much as what I should be playing, but I'm off to Gamestop today or tomorrow to take advantage of their 50% extra value for trade-ins when you buy a used game. Any suggestions for a good XBox360 or PS3 game?

Sabby

Sorry man, I just don't see how limiting ammo helps on it's own. It's not a good argument by itself. Come back to me when Isaac Clark has to cower inside a closet and only peek his nose out long enough to see a shoulder before yelping and pissing himself a little. Then you'll have some grounds to turn me. Until then, I'll be playing it as a straight up shooter, and loving it :P

Zoarster, used? Hmmm... looking at older titles then... what are you into at the moment?

zoarster

Not sure what I'm up for... I did Fallout New Vegas and Dead Rising 2 lately which were pretty fun, but took a break from my XBox after Christmas

Sabby

Well, in this case, almost everything I'd suggest would be reaching into a barrel, and you'll get the A list stuff on any website, so I'm guna go for something underrated that doesn't get as much chatter as the Halo's and the Cod's.

Condemned 1 and/or 2 (2 if you can only get one of them)

Call of Juarez 1 and 2 (I would seriously recommend 2 over 1, for many reasons)

Prey

And for the Xbox/PS2 list...

Second Sight

The Warriors

Otogi 1/2.

Those are just a few off the top of my head your not guna find in any top 10 lists that were actually very good. Might wanna read up before you buy though :) Good luck!

zoarster

Yay to underrated games! I'll have to take a look and see if I can find any of those at the store--fortunately for me, my Gamestop is actually good about honoring the 7 day any reason return policy on used, so I can do a little bit of experimentation.

Inkidu

Sabby. Issac is a freaking engineer. In fact with exception to two of his guns the rest are tools used in ways that would most certainly void the warranty. He's not a freaking soldier. He is scared. Dead Space 2 shows that, but what good does crawling in a closet do? That would just make the game boring. It's not all jump scares either.

There are truly insurmountable odds even on normal. Hell I had to kill two brutes with my health in the red, then turn around and kill about seven slashers and one uber-slasher. Sure I had four guns but I think I could have counted the number of spare clips on one hand. I barely managed to avoid several nasty slashes by running away like a scared little girl. I turned and in my fear forgot my carefully honed trigger discipline in a fraction of a second as I simply squeezed the trigger as fast as I could.

I went dry but they all went dead, and Issac is not an auto-reloader. If you keep pulling the trigger on an empty gun he'll pull it faithfully until a Terror puts his claw right through Issac's face. I never feel awesome or at calm. I feel tense and a since of constant doom around the corner.

And when you're not running for your life swinging your empty gun defensively the game leaves you alone with yourself and its superb sound design. The low bite in the gut, those hairs on the back of your neck, the goosebumps rising on your arms.

You can't even trust what Issac sees. That's a whole other level of horror.

(I don't see the point behind three saves. Seriously, I just play until I want to quit. It only makes it unfair. What if I have to go to the store or something.)
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on January 27, 2011, 02:07:37 AM
A good scary game is the kind you don't even want to look at the bad guys for more then a second, because that's one second they spend getting closer to you, when you wanna get the fuck away from them. You have very little or no incentive to fight. You want horror? Go play Clock Tower, or Amnesia, then tell me that Dead Space is still scary to you, and if it is, then I'll gladly accept my badge of 'Social Reject'

Two words - Dark Seed.  Admittedly, it doesn't have fancy graphics (it was one of the first 640x480 graphic games), but the game had H.R. Giger in on production.  I'm not sure if it can still be found, or if any of the new machines could play it without choking on gravedust, but that game is among the 10 scariest games of all time.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Sabby

You've recommended that before, but I forgot the name and din't know the topic it appeared in Dx may grab it online. Thanks.

And Inkidu, the way you describe it actually works for me :) but I don't know if it will hit me in the same way, so can't comment until I actually play it. I just remember the first one not scaring me in the least, so I have trouble picturing the second one doing it for me. Still, if it works on me the same way it seems to be working on you, yeah, I'd be okay with calling it horror... as long as 'get from point A to B without dying' is an option and the fighting is optional.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 27, 2011, 06:26:36 PM
You've recommended that before, but I forgot the name and din't know the topic it appeared in Dx may grab it online. Thanks.

And Inkidu, the way you describe it actually works for me :) but I don't know if it will hit me in the same way, so can't comment until I actually play it. I just remember the first one not scaring me in the least, so I have trouble picturing the second one doing it for me. Still, if it works on me the same way it seems to be working on you, yeah, I'd be okay with calling it horror... as long as 'get from point A to B without dying' is an option and the fighting is optional.
Sometimes it is, but that's kind of antithetical to the nature of Dead Space and a lot of horror games in general. I can't think of one truly stealth horror game. Usually you have to kill everything on screen just to feel safe.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Sabby

Oh, of course, just as long a good chunk of the levels can be 'kill anything in front of you and don't stop moving'

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on January 27, 2011, 06:33:48 PM
Oh, of course, just as long a good chunk of the levels can be 'kill anything in front of you and don't stop moving'
There are a few parts like that. More like knock it down and hope it doesn't get up too fast.

Sabby

Oniya

Quote from: Sabby on January 27, 2011, 06:26:36 PM

I completely forgot that I'd recommended it, but I guess it all worked out okay.   :D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

dready

Went to the rentail place and checked to see if they have Dead Space 2 in stock, which they did, but all of their copies were checked out mang.

So I got black ops again. o3ob

Geeklet

Quote from: Inkidu on January 27, 2011, 06:31:21 PM
I can't think of one truly stealth horror game. Usually you have to kill everything on screen just to feel safe.

Thief 3. The whole game isn't horror, but it builds you up on the stealth aspect, constantly hiding and looking out for danger, and then towards the end drops you into one of the creepiest game levels ever.

dready

Quote from: Geeklet on January 27, 2011, 09:59:47 PM
Thief 3. The whole game isn't horror, but it builds you up on the stealth aspect, constantly hiding and looking out for danger, and then towards the end drops you into one of the creepiest game levels ever.

A good stealth horror game is Amnesia: The Dark Descent. You can't kill anything and you have instances where you're creating brown pants while trying to figure out how to progress at the same time, or just running away and making brown pants. :3

Wolfy

I gotta say, Inki, I can't wait till Rule 34 takes over for Ellie.

I can't wait to get an EYEful of her.

Xiphon III

I like eternal darkness: Sanity's Requiem. Quite fun, kind of scary. As your character goes slowly insane, you lose confidence in that fact that what you see s the truth. You hear things that aren't there. You don't see things that are. And your character's sanity translates directly into your game interface. It will black your TV, faking an unplug. It will PRETEND TO CORRUPT YOUR SAVE DATA. It just...it messes with your head, man.

Oniya

Quote from: Xiphon III on January 28, 2011, 02:06:33 PM
And your character's sanity translates directly into your game interface. It will black your TV, faking an unplug. It will PRETEND TO CORRUPT YOUR SAVE DATA. It just...it messes with your head, man.

You would hear me scream all the way across the state.