What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lustful Bride

RedRose

This isn't the first time I hear of the swallowed ladies… Is it… common?  ???
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

gaggedLouise

Quote from: RedRose on June 16, 2018, 03:09:35 PM
This isn't the first time I hear of the swallowed ladies… Is it… common?  ???

Thankfully quite unusual, I think; there was a case last year in the same region of Indonesia, with a man being swallowed, but actually swallowing or eating the human victim is super rare. This latest engulfment has already appeared on Wikipedia, at the end of a list of such killings (see below - most of them were not actually eaten).

It's the very largest python snake doing this, and large specimens of it. Seven metres is *really* long for a python or boa snake - there are stories of snakes that went way beyond ten or twelve metres (33-40 feet) but there are barely any certified sightings where a snake was measured alive and found to be longer than eight metres. And once a snake has been dead for a few days, the body and skin (especially a flayed-off skin) can stretch a great deal, making it look longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reticulated_python#Danger_to_humans

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: gaggedLouise on June 16, 2018, 04:22:51 PM
It's the very largest python snake doing this, and large specimens of it. Seven metres is *really* long for a python or boa snake

Seven meters - being upwards of 21 feet, or roughly 3 times as long as a man's height - is plenty long enough, thanks.  That's a case of 'I'm not afraid of snakes, but keep that one over there, please.'
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Mmm, yes. And they have an amazing ability to widen their jaws and throat, as well.  ::)

By the way, I may have been too quick when I said only a few of the people in that Wiki list were eaten or swallowed. Several of them were eaten, at least in part, but the list spans a century or a little more.

gaggedLouise

Greece and Macedonia sign an agreement where the northern country pledges to change its name to North Macedonia. The name has been a long-standing bone of contention between the two countries. In Greek history, Macedonia was the home of Philip II and Alexander the Great, two kings the first of which took control over all of classical Greece and unified it (to the grudge of Athens, Sparta and the others) and his son then conquering the Persian empire. entering India and spreading Greek civilization on a vast scale.

Alexander is a national hero in Greece of course, and many people there have not looked kindly upon the name Macedonia for a country that borders on ancient Greece but whose population and language these days have little to do with Greek roots - they are southern Slavic. For the Macedonians, resolving the beef was a necessary step to be able to join the EU, otherwise Greece would have vetoed it.

stormwyrm

If there is such a phenomenon as absolute evil, it consists in treating another human being as a thing.
O/OA/A, Requests

TheGlyphstone

I didnt't think anyone with an interest in the field didnt already know Stanford was hot garbage.

LisztesFerenc

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on June 17, 2018, 09:04:36 AM
I didnt't think anyone with an interest in the field didnt already know Stanford was hot garbage.

I liked SMBC's take on it:

"I base my views on human nature on a six day long study of 22 non-random young males in which the experimenter was an active participant"

What I hear when people cite the Zimbardo prison experiment.

Link: https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/2013-06-30

Sara Nilsson

But a lot of us who are not interested in the field have heard of it, but didn't know it was fake tbh

RedRose

Many many Believe in it
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Oniya

Little Oni took Psych in high school this past year.  I asked her if they brought it up.  She said they had, and was surprised to learn today that it was fake.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

TheGlyphstone

I stand corrected. That SMBC comic reflects me more than i realized.

Deamonbane

Two gunmen opened fire at an all-night arts and music festival early Sunday morning, sending people running over each other in the scramble to safety, authorities said. One suspect was killed and 22 people were injured.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/1-dead-several-injured-trenton-cultural-event-shooting-102203959.html
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Lustful Bride

Lustful Bride

Trump wants a Space Force.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-orders-creation-of-space-focused-us-military-branch/ar-AAyOVLL?ocid=spartandhp

At this point I'm honestly expecting a V style reveal.

"I just sabotaged Xcom, now the alien invasion is gonna be Uuuggeee!

Oniya

Quote from: Lustful Bride on June 18, 2018, 05:06:55 PM
Trump wants a Space Force.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/trump-orders-creation-of-space-focused-us-military-branch/ar-AAyOVLL?ocid=spartandhp

At this point I'm honestly expecting a V style reveal.

"I just sabotaged Xcom, now the alien invasion is gonna be Uuuggeee!

Trump's going to swallow a live guinea pig?

Lustful Bride

Quote from: Oniya on June 18, 2018, 05:49:07 PM
Trump's going to swallow a live guinea pig?

I was thinking more of the scene of one of the infiltrators walking around going "Mousy! mousy mousy!  Mousy?" Begore eating a mouse from up off the ground :P

Oniya

HannibalBarca

This is boiling a frog by turning up the heat slowly.  This is fascism by degrees.  The five living First Ladies have all condemned the kidnapping of children by Trump's administration, including Melania.  Pressure must continue to be exerted.  If it doesn't change Trump's mind, then it can still change the minds of countless others who might vote against him and his enablers.
“Those who lack drama in their
lives strive to invent it.”   ― Terry Masters
"It is only when we place hurdles too high to jump
before our characters, that they learn how to fly."  --  Me
Owed/current posts
Sigs by Ritsu

Sara Nilsson

Thing is, I don't think Trump can change on this. He campaigned on being tough on immigration, on being this tough guy that will do things his way. Giving in on this will signal to those core supporters of his that he isn't tough on immigration and that he is caving to the "deep state". Polls show that most republicans approve of this initiative, so he needs to keep those votes. The ones that are mad at him where unlikely to vote for him anyway. He will just keep claiming it is the democrats fault and his suppers buy that. So even if they disaprove of it, well.. it isn't Trumps fault this is happening.

Sara Nilsson

And some good news.

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gender-dysphoria-no-longer-a-mental-disorder-says-world-health-organization/#gs.SrmwNK4

QuoteTrans advocates globally are celebrating the World Health Organization’s (WHO) ‘huge’ decision to remove gender dysphoria from its classification of mental and behavioral disorders.

This is huge! It will not only help us get treatment easier, it removes the issue that people think we are "crazy". And that it was classified before as a mental health has been used as a weapon against trans people the world over in preventing everything from treatment, to equal rights (just look at Trump).

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on June 19, 2018, 06:47:28 AM
And some good news.

https://www.gaystarnews.com/article/gender-dysphoria-no-longer-a-mental-disorder-says-world-health-organization/#gs.SrmwNK4

This is huge! It will not only help us get treatment easier, it removes the issue that people think we are "crazy". And that it was classified before as a mental health has been used as a weapon against trans people the world over in preventing everything from treatment, to equal rights (just look at Trump).

Completely agree, Sara! Thanks for posting this! :)

*cheers for her team*

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on June 19, 2018, 06:47:28 AM
And some good news.

I passed this on to some of my friends who are trans, and their first reaction was intense concern/worry. The reasoning was that if gender dysphoria is no longer a mental disorder, they think it would in fact make getting treatment harder because insurance companies wouldn't have to cover it anymore as a psychiatric condition.

LisztesFerenc

What do insurance companies need to cover? A broken arm isn't a disorder, yet they need to pay if you have insurance. What is a broken bone? An injury? An ailemnt? Is it just on a finite list of things insurance companies need to cover? Is there an option whereby we can classify gender dysphoria as "something insuarance companies need to cover" that isn't also "something that makes you sound crazy to the layman".