News:

Main Menu

Dirty Limericks

Started by Inkidu, October 27, 2008, 08:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: MusicNeverDies on October 28, 2008, 08:20:04 PM
It's ambiguous who that comment was to, okay?!
The last few trade offs on limericks convince me otherwise.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

MusicNeverDies

Quote from: Inkidu on October 28, 2008, 08:23:26 PM
The last few trade offs on limericks convince me otherwise.
Heh. Okay, it was to Kalen, you caught me.

Inkidu

Quote from: MusicNeverDies on October 28, 2008, 08:24:43 PM
Heh. Okay, it was to Kalen, you caught me.
... ... ... ... hmmm...
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ShrowdedPoet

Yeah. . .it made me laugh more with another persons name behind it.
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: ShrowdedPoet on October 28, 2008, 08:32:15 PM
Yeah. . .it made me laugh more with another persons name behind it.
What's that supposed to mean? ^~^

ShrowdedPoet

Quote from: Inkidu on October 28, 2008, 08:36:07 PM
What's that supposed to mean? ^~^

*laughs*  You will never know. . .*looks evil*
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

There once was a lady named Poet
Had a secret and only she know'd it
If you ask with a grin
She would still kick your shin
Then walk away after saying, "Stow it."

Kalen

Limerick Structure

The content-independent school of limerickery holds that any five-line poem with the requisite structure is a limerick, as would be true for a sonnet or villanelle fitting their respective formulae.

Limericks are officially described as a form of 'anapestic trimeter'; the 'anapest' is a 'foot' of poetic verse consisting of three syllables, the third longer (or accentuated to a greater degree) than the first two. Lines one, two and five of a limerick should ideally consist of three anapests each, concluding with an identical or similar phoneme to create the rhyme. Lines three and four are shorter, constructed of two anapests each and again rhyming with each other. Thus, the overall rhyme structure of a, a, b, b, a, with the beat pattern

a:da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah
b:da-da-daah da-da-daah

Often, lines three and four have an extra syllable at their start. Variations on this theme include the substitution of the final foot of a line to the iamb, a two-syllable foot with the accent on the second. Further substitution in this way can result in the maximum syllable count of

1. 9 syllables pause 3 1. da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah
2. 9 syllables pause 3 2. da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah
3. 6/7 syllables no pause 3. (da) da-da-daah da-da-daah
4. 6/7 syllables no pause 4. (da) da-da-daah da-da-daah
5. 9 syllables pause 3 5. da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah

being reduced to a minimum of

1.7 syllables pause 5 1. da-dah da-da-dah da-daah
2. 7 syllables pause 5 2. da-dah da-da-dah da-daah
3. 4 syllables pause 2 3. da-da da-daah
4. 4 syllables pause 2 4. da-da da-daah
5. 7 syllables pause 5 5. da-dah da-da-dah da-daa

As the figures in italics indicate, curtailing the 'active' beats of any line results in a corresponding increase in the number of beats' pause between lines.

It is possible to construct a limerick with unmatching a or b lines; it is essential that the overall beat structure remains and that the flow of words allows the lines to be spoken as if they were identical.

Inkidu

Quote from: Kalen on October 29, 2008, 08:37:06 AM
Limerick Structure

The content-independent school of limerickery holds that any five-line poem with the requisite structure is a limerick, as would be true for a sonnet or villanelle fitting their respective formulae.

Limericks are officially described as a form of 'anapestic trimeter'; the 'anapest' is a 'foot' of poetic verse consisting of three syllables, the third longer (or accentuated to a greater degree) than the first two. Lines one, two and five of a limerick should ideally consist of three anapests each, concluding with an identical or similar phoneme to create the rhyme. Lines three and four are shorter, constructed of two anapests each and again rhyming with each other. Thus, the overall rhyme structure of a, a, b, b, a, with the beat pattern

a:da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah
b:da-da-daah da-da-daah

Often, lines three and four have an extra syllable at their start. Variations on this theme include the substitution of the final foot of a line to the iamb, a two-syllable foot with the accent on the second. Further substitution in this way can result in the maximum syllable count of

1. 9 syllables pause 3 1. da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah
2. 9 syllables pause 3 2. da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah
3. 6/7 syllables no pause 3. (da) da-da-daah da-da-daah
4. 6/7 syllables no pause 4. (da) da-da-daah da-da-daah
5. 9 syllables pause 3 5. da-da-daah da-da-daah da-da-daah

being reduced to a minimum of

1.7 syllables pause 5 1. da-dah da-da-dah da-daah
2. 7 syllables pause 5 2. da-dah da-da-dah da-daah
3. 4 syllables pause 2 3. da-da da-daah
4. 4 syllables pause 2 4. da-da da-daah
5. 7 syllables pause 5 5. da-dah da-da-dah da-daa

As the figures in italics indicate, curtailing the 'active' beats of any line results in a corresponding increase in the number of beats' pause between lines.

It is possible to construct a limerick with unmatching a or b lines; it is essential that the overall beat structure remains and that the flow of words allows the lines to be spoken as if they were identical.

Speaking a limerick is different than reading one. I think it's adequate.

Five iambs
five
five
three
three
five

works just fine. 

Kalen

My point is, yours don't fit the structure when spoken.  You almost always have an extraneous syllable in the last line.

Oniya

Having read numerous limericks, the most common structure is more like two amphibrachs and an iamb for the first two and last lines, with two amphibrachs for the third and fourth.  There's sometimes an extra unstressed syllable at the beginning or end of the line.

And to get this back on track...

A vintner went over the line
By creating a new type of wine
Said he, "If you screw
Then have one or two,
The hangover's simply sublime!"
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Inkidu

Quote from: Kalen on October 29, 2008, 08:53:47 AM
My point is, yours don't fit the structure when spoken.  You almost always have an extraneous syllable in the last line.
It's called "Fun". :D