Mentioning the uterus is worthy of chastisement according to my lawmakers

Started by Star Safyre, April 01, 2011, 03:02:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Safyre

So during a legislative discussion regarding the lawfulness of preventing unions from taking direct withdrawals from public service workers paychecks (I won't even get into that garbage), Rep. Scott Randolph, a Democrat, was making a statement to the effect of:

QuoteRepublicans are always talking about deregulation and big government, and I always say their philosophy is small government for the big guy and big government for the little guy. And so, if my wife's uterus was incorporated or my friend's bedroom was incorporated, maybe they [Republicans] would be talking about deregulating.

He was verbally chastised by the GOP spokeswoman, saying:
In the past, if the debate is going to contain language that would be considered inappropriate for children and other guests, the Speaker will make an announcement in advance, asking children and others who may be uncomfortable with the subject matter to leave the floor and gallery.

Source

What exactly makes the uterus a part of the body that cannot be mentioned by its medical name in public discourse?  Since when does a passing mention of the uterus warrant a disclaimer?  Who would be offended by the mere mention of this organ verses the myriad of other body parts?
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Revolverman

Because the Republicans needed any reason to slam the Democrats.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Revolverman on April 01, 2011, 03:05:19 PM
Because the Republicans needed any reason to slam the Democrats.

Let's be honest though.. if it had been a Republican.. there would have been an uptight Democrat to do the same. Either side uses any 'knives' that they can.

Jude

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 01, 2011, 03:23:17 PM
Let's be honest though.. if it had been a Republican.. there would have been an uptight Democrat to do the same. Either side uses any 'knives' that they can.
Bingo.  Everyone in public political life has to act as if they're not normal adults behind closed doors.  I say if the political discourse is less raunchy than the average TV show, no one should open their mouth, but we all know that our parties are more into cheap-sniping to ruin the other party's image than actually being sane (granted, they do it because it works to motivate their bases which are the dumbest of the dumb in the equation here).

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Jude on April 01, 2011, 04:33:30 PM
Bingo.  Everyone in public political life has to act as if they're not normal adults behind closed doors.  I say if the political discourse is less raunchy than the average TV show, no one should open their mouth, but we all know that our parties are more into cheap-sniping to ruin the other party's image than actually being sane (granted, they do it because it works to motivate their bases which are the dumbest of the dumb in the equation here).

George Carlin was right.  The public sucks.

Revolverman

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on April 01, 2011, 03:23:17 PM

Oh I agree 100% I guess I should have said politicians need any reason to slam other politicians.

OldSchoolGamer

Henceforth, amongst civilized people, the uterus shall be referred to as:

"The Part of the Female Anatomy That Must Not Be Named.  No, Not That Part, Nor The One Immediately Behind it, but Rather The One Further Inside."

Yes, that is a much more dignified, polite term than the vulgar "uterus."