Desktop icons. Solved.

Started by Saerrael, January 26, 2011, 06:35:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saerrael

Problem solved (while fixing something else, as usual!)

Right, first things first, because it's something I always hear when I ask for aid with anything even remotely Vista related.
No, I'm not going to change OS.
I don't have the money to buy one nor the knowledge to get along with another OS.

Now that is out of the way, on to the question.

(Vista Home Premium.)

I'm not sure how strange, easy or down right stupid the following is, but I'm at a loss and thought I'd try here.
My desktop icons do not want to stay where I put them.
I can drag them around without any problems and they stay where I drag them for the duration of time my PC is on. But when I fire up my PC again my icons are back at the left side of the screen in alphabetical order.
It's not a major thing, but it's starting to annoy me that I can't find out what the hell is wrong. Plus, I don't navigate my desktop alphabetically.
And, no, I do not have any form of aligning up for my desktop. Not as far as I can tell, at least.

Thanks in advance.

Trieste

If you right-click on your desktop, you should see "view" at the top of the menu. Hover your mouse over 'view' and then look at the menu that slides out. See if "auto arrange icons" is checked. If it is, uncheck it and see if that fixes things. :)

Saerrael

I wish it was that. Sadly, it's not checked, and never was :s

Trieste

Hmmm. I'm not sure then, since I have Windows 7 which is similar but has a lot of little fiddly differences. Mine does not do that, though... Not sure how to compare settings efficiently.

Saerrael

I wonder if it might help if I 'override' with a different sortation or rooster arrangement or something. It's like it's sorting on name, but.. that's not checked either. It's.. odd *nods*

Oreo

I used to have Vista and the only time it did that was after I played a game that changes the screens resolution. Is there any chance that it is set improperly? I don't know if they would be any good or any help since I have never used them, but there are desktop icon saver freeware programs out there. It might be worth checking out.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Saerrael

Hm, now that you mention it, I did change my resolution. But, when I look up where I did such, it's not saying anything about icons *raises a brow*

I might check that software out, Oreo. Thank you :)

Lady Aura

If you right click and go to view see if you have align to grid, that might be the issue.

Current RP Status: Not taking any more RP's

Saerrael

Nothing is checked, Lady Aura. It was the first thing I looked at ;)