Fortune Favors the Bold! (Pathfinder Kingmaker variant) [Closed to new interest]

Started by Chulanowa, November 09, 2018, 04:25:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

It's tough times for the kobolds of the Sootscale tribe. First, a new shaman with terrifying purple scales took hold of the chieftain, and began worship of the devil Old Sharptooth. And then foraging parties began going missing. As bellies emptied, the shaman demanded sacrifices to appease Old Sharptooth and lift the curse. The Sootscales may never know if it would work, because recently a raid by the vile mites to the north killed several kobolds and stole the effigy of Old Sharptooth! Now in addition to everything else, the kobolds are at war, and frightening rumors of a curse from Old Sharptooth that makes you lose all your scales and turn blue has begun circulating among the tribe. And to top it all off, rumor is that tall softskins have been causing trouble in nearby territories.

Many kobolds are happy to be runts or grunts, taking life as it is. To them, these problems are just another sign that life is cursed, existence is toil, better sacrifice another runtling to Old Sharptooth and hope for the best. Not you. You have ambition, you have plans! You have class levels and you know how to use them! Times might be tough, but you know fortune favors the bold!

So, this might be a bit of an odd concept, but I want to run the Pathfinder "Kingmaker" Adventure path, with a twist; It takes place not from the perspective of the demihumans chartered to tame the Stolen Lands, but from the eyes of the kobolds that already live there. Their trials, their tribulations, their ambitions and adventures.

Despite the initial plot seeds, this is intended to be an open-world "exploration" sandbox-style game. There are plots and planned adventures afoot, but the characters are not on rails, and need to actively find or seek out these things... or just make their own! If you want to march right off the edge of the module map just to see what's there, let's do that! Do you want to summon the Schmooze? Sure thing buddy. Do you want to just sit in a tunnel knitting a tail warmer? uh... well, you can do that, if you want I guess!

If this piques your interest, here's how we're going to do.

Expectations
Posting Rate: I would like to get at least two posts a week from everyone. But i know that we're all grownups with lives outside of E and sometimes it doesn't work that way. I'm not going to make any hard limits here, but if you're going to be unavailable for a bit, do let us know.

Pacing: Similarly, I want people to understand that Kingmaker is not a mile-a-minute, ultra-fast-paced module. It's exploration! Discovery! Of course there's combat, of course there's harrowing situations, but there's also downtime and cartography and - dare I say - kingdom-building? It's more "old school" in style, with the PC's exploring a map hex-by-hex, rather than rushing from one quest-based encounter to the next. Especially since there's no real "quest railroad" going on in the first place! Even at a steady post rate it can take a little bit of time, so I just ask for patience and a willingness to go with it.

Experience: This is open to people of all levels of pathfinder experience; the setting does not require any particularly deep lore or metaplot kind of knowledge, so if you feel you have an okay grasp on making a character and chucking dice, you're golden! And if not, hey, I can totally help you with that, no problem.

Cooperation: Your characters don't have to get along, but I want to keep the player interactions as smooth and cordial as possible. basically, don't be a jerk to each other.

Characters
I am looking for between four to six characters in total. I have no expectations or demands for "party balance" or particular class roles. Characters should be made using Mythweavers or some other similar online sheet-making tool.

Everyone begins at level 1, with maximum hit points for their class. You get average starting wealth for your class as well, but any "extra coin" left over from purchasing your items is lost (you're kobolds from a struggling tribe in the middle of nowhere, why would you have a sack of gold?)

Race: If it weren't obvious already, kobolds. And just kobolds, none of these "tiefling of kobold extraction" hijinks. Any alternate racial trait or Favored Class Bonus is acceptable.

Stats: Everyone gets to use a 25-point buy. Kobolds are weak enough without making you go through piddly point buys!

Class: Any paizo-published class or archetype. Bear in mind that a great deal of the module focuses on wilderness exploration; while any class is playable, a class or archetype centered around urban living and interaction with high society, or exploring the deep ocean or the like, might not be as rewarding.

Religion: The "official' faith of the tribe is a devil referred to as Old Sharptooth; the shaman of the tribe forbids others from learning said devil's mysteries though. Kobolds typically favor deities of evil, revenge, trickery, craft, greed, and power; Asmodeus, Calistria, Norgorber, Brigh, Nethys, and the like. You can revere who you like; you can even be that one weirdo kobold paladin of Apsu, if that suits your fancy.

Alignment: By "default," Kobolds are lawful evil. This doesn't have to be the case with you. I will not be restricting alignment; you are, after all, exceptional kobolds!

Skills: I will be using the Background Skills system from Pathfinder unchained (Basic version; every level, you gain two additional skill ranks to put into Appraise, Artistry, Craft, handle animal, Knowledge (Engineering, Geography, History, or Nobility), Linguistics, Lore, Perform, Profession, or Sleight of Hand.)

Feats: First off, everyone gets a free bonus feat at 1st level. Why should humans have all the fun, when they're all going to be NPC's? Second, you can treat your strength as being two points higher to meet feat requirements (so you can take Power Attack with just 11 strength, for example.)

Traits: Since none of them really work for this concept, I will NOT be using the Kingmaker campaign traits. Instead, select any two non-campaign traits for your character, as you please. No drawbacks, and no Additional Traits feat.

Applications
All the characters are coming from the same tribe, the Sootscales. you will know each other, you will know the Sootscale NPC's, and such. Absolutely feel free to ask me and and each other to fill any questiosn about these characters you have!

I do not need, nor particularly want long, involved backgrounds; A paragraph or two should be sufficient, in this case. What I do want is a good idea of the character's ambitions and goals and desires. Do you want revenge against some beast in the wilderness? Perhaps you want to reclaim a personal treasure from the Chieftain's tribute hoard? Do you want to meet a real dragon? Maybe you want to fuck an Elf, you pervert. Maybe you want to raise a kingdom, a monument to your own greatness (because let's face it, kobolds have some pretty big egos). Basically, give me some personal plot hooks for your character; they can be whatever you want, and again, feel free to ask for pointers or inspiration!

While it's probably not a concern for this particular concept, I ask that you not use overly anime-style or real photography images for your characters. otherwise your character can look however you like (and before you ask, I am agnostic on the question of lizardtits; find your aesthetic and go with it!)

Also, please try to think; Kobold. They're different from humans and elves and the like. Underground is their normal. Daylight dazzles them. They see themselves as dragonkind, and can turn anything into a trap. They're egotistical, and often selfish little things who still value the tribe and live communally.

[float=right][img height=300]YOUR_AWESOME_KOBOLD_HERE.jpg[/img][/float]
[b]Name:[/b][url=]CHARACTER SHEET URL](name)[/url]
[b]Class:[/b] (Include any archetypes)
[b]Alignment:[/b]
[b]Description:[/b]
[b]Biography:[/b] (KISS me; Keep it short and sweet)
[b]Ambiitons:[/b] (Your characters' goals, desires, plots, etc)

Smut
Speaking of lizardtits, the ineveitable smut question. Put simply? There is as much or as little as you want. This is player-driven after all. I'm not one to center a game around smut and sex usually, but it's always an option, even for kobolds.

That in mind, I'm aiming to put this in Light: Exotic. If needed there will be separate sex threads, either in the same section, or taken to NC: Exotic. As always, respect each other's ons and offs, and don't assume that the other PC's are there for your personal pleasure.

And since we're on the topic; Your kobold can be any gender you like. Male, female, non-gendered, multigendered, however you want to run your 'bold.

Here's some fun facts about kobold sex life and physiology that i swear I'm not making up.
• Kobolds are endothermic; that is to say, "warm-blooded," like birds, mammals, and of course, dragons. That makes them high-energy and warm to the touch.
• Like other reptilians, whatever a kobold has, they have it inside a shallow "pouch" on the lower abdomen that they can relax and expose as they wish. Kobolds can easily tell each others' genders, but other humanoids generally can't (at least without not going all Crocodile Hunter on the kobold)
• Like most humanoids, kobolds are fertile year-round. There is no "mating season" or the like, they just go at it.
• And boy do they. Kobolds are not especially prone to long-term monogamous relationships, and can produce as many as six or seven eggs in a year.
• Eggs are communally-tended, and the hatchlings are self-sufficient within a few hours. There are no parent-child relationships; rather the young identify the entire tribe as "family."
• Much like dragons, kobolds are... curious about what other races get up to. of course kobolds are also generally xenophobic, so their curiosity also goes unresolved most of the time. No one's quite sure if htey are inter-fertile with other creatures the way dragons are. (okay I am making this one up, but c'mon.)

There's no party like a Kobold party!

Bibliophilia

'Cause a kobold party don't stop!

-giggles.-  I'll start fiddling with my character.  I'm waffling between a ranger-type and a caster of some sort.

Sain

This looks potentially hilarious ;D! In the best way.

e. Mine will be a ninja.
e2. Or maybe unchained rogue can do the same.
PM box is open. So is my discord: Sain#5301

MasterMischief

I love this idea, Chulanowa.

I have an idea but I want to make sure it meshes well with what you are going for.  I am thinking of a Cleric/Warpriest that, rather than worshiping a god, is focused on a warped concept similar to Buddhism.

Life is the suffering.  Therefore we must avoid the suffering.

I see it as an embracing of heidenism.  I would probably go Chaotic Evil, but not focusing on causing pain or harm on others and more about enjoying life as much as possible.  This also brings up another issue that I should like special dispensation for: being Chaotic Evil, but being able to cast Cure spells rather than Harm spells.  It seems more fitting for the philosophy and far more useful for the party in my opinion.

I also realize that this would be heretical to the clan, so my kobold would be hiding his true beliefs.  His ultimate goal would be to bring this new religion to all kobolds.  "No longer we serve others.  We serve us!"

Chulanowa

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 10, 2018, 09:39:03 AM
I love this idea, Chulanowa.

I have an idea but I want to make sure it meshes well with what you are going for.  I am thinking of a Cleric/Warpriest that, rather than worshiping a god, is focused on a warped concept similar to Buddhism.

Life is the suffering.  Therefore we must avoid the suffering.

I see it as an embracing of heidenism.  I would probably go Chaotic Evil, but not focusing on causing pain or harm on others and more about enjoying life as much as possible.  This also brings up another issue that I should like special dispensation for: being Chaotic Evil, but being able to cast Cure spells rather than Harm spells.  It seems more fitting for the philosophy and far more useful for the party in my opinion.

I also realize that this would be heretical to the clan, so my kobold would be hiding his true beliefs.  His ultimate goal would be to bring this new religion to all kobolds.  "No longer we serve others.  We serve us!"

You can certainly follow a philosophy rather than a deity, that's right there in the core cleric class  :-)

However, I'd rather not change class mechanics; evil clerics cast Inflict spells with their spontaneous spellcasting. You can always prepare Cure spells normally, or take the Healing domain, or something like that.

However it might work better to be Chaotic Neutral rather than evil; the concept seems to swing that way to me, and in fact could even work as some sort of philosophical heresy of Calistria (who I imagine kobolds mostly care about for her focus on revenge, but she covers lust and hedonism as well.) Evil - as set up in pathfinder - is indifferent to or even enjoys harm coming to others. it's not just selfish, but actually malicious.

PixelatedPixie

I'd be interested, probably as a Blatherskite Gunslinger (it just seems so fitting...) or a Shifter of some variety.  I'll think on it and try to come up with an application.

Chulanowa

Quote from: PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric on November 10, 2018, 12:42:56 PM
I'd be interested, probably as a Blatherskite Gunslinger (it just seems so fitting...) or a Shifter of some variety.  I'll think on it and try to come up with an application.

Awesome, be glad to have you XD

MasterMischief

Bibliophilia

I believe I've settled on a flavor of ranger.  -nods.-  Something with tracking and wilderness expertise.

Sain

I have my current ideas here on the sheet, though if you have suggestions to add a little more oomph to background, personality, or any other part I'd be happy to hear suggestions. Might be nice to try tie the chara to some kobold NPCes too.

Name: Mogroom
Class: Unchained Rogue, Eldritch Scoundrel
Alignment: Lawful Evil - Mogroom is pragmatic and though she may be greedy she is not cruel to tribe and friends. However, like many kobolds, she does not apply the same kobold rights that a tribes member might have to other races (unless they manage to make a personable impression on her somehow.)

Personality: Mogroom is easily bored, and just as easily excitable. Often she finds herself whisked along by other kobolds' plots and plans, though she ends up twisting them at every step, arguing her own opinion to be the smartest way. In social encounters she is crass and straightforward, thinking herself as the polished copper piece in a room of rocks. However, she has never been quite the expert at reaching compromise and will be a little spiteful if the party doesn't agree to her way. Mogroom feels a little guilty afterwards though, and will attempt to amend broken bonds with hugs and gifts since she knows her tongue is not very good at such a job. Her favourite things include disassembling magical things.

Biography: Dig for copper? No. Not Mogroom. She is too smart for boring labor in the mines. She has tried her claws at everything, and excelled at first try for greater benefit of the tribe (in her humble opinion anyway). The stuck up elders of course were not very pleased of a young kobold trying to show them how things are done. She's been assigned to making magical traps and contraptions, but sorta tends to get tired of it, and sneaks out to join one of the scouting parties. On one of those trips she listened to a long leg camp from the undergrowth and became fascinated with how they sang songs of heroes.

Ambitions: In public she says: Treasure, a huge hoard. This is a lie. In private Mogroom understands that she is poor, and though she really wants a hoard she is wise to also know that money is transient. Songs however, they are forever. She wants exactly 100 songs and poems to be made about her (and her party) by all sorts of people. With that fame she believes that a dragon will be seduced to come meet her. Just half a song would be a good start though.

Chulanowa

Quote from: MasterMischief on November 10, 2018, 01:06:52 PM
Would Chaotic Neutral be too far from Lawful Evil?

Well it's more than "two steps" from Lawful evil, but so is Chaotic Evil? I'm not sure what the question is.

Bibliophilia

MM, Chula noted that he's not restricting the alignment of the kobolds in this game to Lawful Evil.  So, unless you're following a specific deity that's LE, then I don't think you need to worry much about alignment.

Bibliophilia

Nug was always quiet, which meant she often went overlooked by the rest of the tribe.  She didn't mind that so much, since it left her to her own devices and allowed her to roam as she willed.  Her favorite thing to do was to track the signs of small beasts and other kobolds around their encampment.  Eventually, she joined the foraging and hunting parties, learning to use her skills of observation and deft hand with the bow to feed the tribe.

However, her favorite past-time and means of contributing to her family ended swiftly when the foraging parties began to disappear and the others grew too frightened to venture out.  Hunger set in and her tribe turned to superstition and devotion to Old Sharptooth.  Nug had never had much interest in religion, though she knew well enough to pay lip-service to please the others in the tribe.  Still, she found the passivity of the tribe's response to the attacks and disappearances souring.  Not long after the theft of the effigy and the rumors of the long-legs started, she decided she couldn't stand sitting around and accepting these things as simply another inevitable fact of life.

Personality:  Nug has a thick streak of sass in her, all wrapped up in her arrogance over her skills and her belief that she's destined for greatness.  She was never terribly popular, even among other egocentric kobolds, due to her tendency to grow exasperated and condescending with kobolds who were all talk and no action.  She loves adventure and can easily become lost in the thrill of silently tracking prey, even if she has no plans to actually kill what she is following.  It's hard for her to honestly open up with others, due to a lifetime spent pretending to be something she's not in order to get along with her family.  Still, under the silence, cockiness and sharp wit, there's a loyal, fiercely protective core.

Ambitions:  Nug wants to track and hunt a dragon.  Not to kill, of course, but to prove to herself that she can do it.  Ideally, she'd like to collect a shed scale of each color.  Sometimes she lies awake at night, staring up at the stars and waiting for sleep, just thinking about what it would be like to sneak into a dragon's lair and steal a scale...maybe touch the great beast, even, if it's sleeping.

schnookums

I kind of feel like I should toss my hat in the ring, since I have a ready made picture for a Swashbuckley Kobold (That I commissioned):

Chulanowa

Quote from: schnookums on November 10, 2018, 09:26:35 PM
I kind of feel like I should toss my hat in the ring, since I have a ready made picture for a Swashbuckley Kobold (That I commissioned):

So far these characters are looking absurdly adorable. Not that I've got any complaints about that!

PixelatedPixie

I have played around a bit and am now torn between an Alchemist (Vivisectionist) and a Bloodrager (Kyton bloodline).  Because choices are apparently difficult.   :'(

Probably leaning towards the Bloodrager just because it is against type somewhat, who has a chip on his shoulder against other races (Wild Forest Kobold whose tribe was wiped out maybe?  Assuming other tribes accept orphaned kobolds), and may or may not try to capture them on occasion for nefarious purposes. 

Sain

Switching up towards Eldritch Scoundrel as I really wanted some spells :P

Kimera

Looks like a fun game.

I'm thinking of making a kobold sorcerer.

Chulanowa

Alright! So, I'm going to go ahead and call this closed to new interest, while the six of you put your characters together.  XD

schnookums

Ugh, I actually don't think I'll be able to play,much as I'd love to. Just too much on my plate atm x.x

Chulanowa

Quote from: schnookums on November 11, 2018, 12:29:09 PM
Ugh, I actually don't think I'll be able to play,much as I'd love to. Just too much on my plate atm x.x

Awww Schnookums, but you have a comissioned piece and everything! Well, if you gotta, you gotta  :-\

schnookums

Well, lemme see if I can get the time to play, but if someone wants the spot please go ahead and give it to them

Kimera

Work in Progress. Just need to figure out her spells and equipment.

Story and biography will follow

Name: Slizzle
Class: Sorceress, Linnorm Draconic Bloodline
Alignment: Chaotic Evil

PixelatedPixie

I am still working on him (and changed the class again...)  but this is what I have so far. 

Name: Nosk
Class: Druid (Skinshaper)
Alignment: Neutral Evil
Description: Purple scaled Kobold dressed in dirty hides and bone trinkets.  He acts furtive and somewhat feral, snapping, glaring, and so on.
Biography: He was kicked out of his tribe as a young age due to his purple scales.  He traveled on the surface, falling in with or serving various monstrous humanoids, being chased out of villages like a stray dog, and generally being abused.  He eventually was taken in, mostly for grunt labour, by an elderly Goblin druid in a blighted swamp.  He eventually killed the elderly Goblin, stole his stuff, and headed off to find a tribe he could use to strike at the biglegs of the surface.... or at least join and not be so alone.
Ambiitons: He wants to get revenge on the surface world.  At the most basic, capture some surfaceworlders as slaves, at the higher/grander, rule over entire regions and/or release plagues and poisons.

Chulanowa

I've got the OOC up and running guys.

So far current players are:

Sain, playing Mogroom the Rogue
Bibliophilia, playing Nug the Ranger
Kimera, playing Slizzle the Sorcerer
PerpetuallyAnnoyedCleric, playing Nosk the Druid

And with interest from both Schnookums and MasterMischief, who are both 100% still welcome to join  ;D