The Good Folk (Interest Check)

Started by TheBlackThrone, December 07, 2017, 01:32:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBlackThrone

Welcome to Squareville, CA (Southern California). Squareville is a peaceful town filled with pleasant people who watch out for each other. "And the second is like, namely this, You shall love your neighbor as yourself. There is no other commandment greater than these" Mark 12:31. As the good book says. The people of Squareville love their homes and their lives and are intent on keeping the peace. What many don't know about Squareville is that the neighborhood isn't what it seems. The "Squares" as they are called are too happy; too cheerful; and just too perfect. They are always eager to welcome newcomers to the neighborhood with a visit and a hot apple pie, made from Ol' Mrs. Thompson's apples from her apple tree. You see...the truth is...

Spoiler
They're all killers...

The Squares all bear a dark past. They were killers, crooks, fugitives, dirty cops, etc. living new lives in the sanctuary they have made for themselves. So what happens when a violent gang tries to move into this neighborhood and disturb the peace? Let's just say the gang decided to move into the wrong neighborhood. Expect a mild John Wick-ness.

Every player who joins this game is going to live in Squareville. They can be the father, mother, husband, wife, son, daughter, brother, sister, fiance, fiancee, boyfriend, girlfriend, uncle, aunt, or cousin; and lastly, unrelated neighbor in this interesting town. The parents and older individuals are going to have the most twisted back stories. Their children (18+) aren't going to have as much of one unless they're old enough to where such a backstory makes sense. They may even be in on the town's dark secret or be completely oblivious to it all. It's a closely guarded secret that no one outside Squareville knows. You can also play a new family who has just moved into the neighborhood that is not the gang. Regardless what role you choose, if a player claims a family surname, then I encourage other players to join that player's family or have a family that has relations with that character. This is a small tight-knit community. They know everyone and they know who all the strangers are. Finally, of course the children can be NPCs. You are free to NPC "extras" for post flavor, but I also encourage you to actually have player-made neighbors.

The overall themes of this game will be:
Horror
Drama
Thriller
Romance
Action

Players must be able to write independently (with mild to moderate GM guidance) and be able to story-weave. They must be able to build on their character concept and interact with others. This game takes place in the 1950s and so players will be challenged to remain within that theme. Music, news, hairstyles, clothes, technology and even jargon. Research. We're not going to touch on any race issues. In this realistic fiction world there is equality for those players wishing to play ethnic characters.

Every players' goal should be to not reveal the secret behind Squareville. Situations may arise where a character may feel pressured to do something drastic. You can do it, but be warned. An investigator may show up at your door. You may draw unwanted attention to the neighborhood. The GM will put pressure on the characters and families with the gang and the issues they cause. Players should act 100% within their character's personality when reacting to these situations. There will be secret meetings between the neighbors to discuss any issues. These meetings are usually conveyed through trade craft (meaning messages in some shape or form, code phrases, etc.). Enjoy the story while you can. Waves will be made eventually.

I don't expect a large group for this game. If this game gains that much interest, then I'll deal with that situation when it arrives. For now, I'm just trying to see how many writers would actually be interested in this idea. I can answer questions during this interest check and if I see a lot of committed folk, I'll update this OP with a CS.  :-)
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Godsend

Gypsy

Depending on posting rate expected, I would be interested in the concept -- perhaps as a (fairly young) widow who runs the town's diner/soda shop? 

Potential Dark Past
She's a widow 3 or 4 times over, and she didn't exactly wait for her late husbands to die of natural causes.  She'd be a mostly smiling, indulgent woman, easy going, until triggered.  Anyone threatening her new home, a haven from the ugliness of the modern world and accusing authority figures who don't understand how some things just GRATE on the nerves until they can't be ignored, would definitely brush up against that murderous side.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=286451.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=244545.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=279617.0"></a>      <a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=245953.0"></a>     

🌹🔥🌹   on 'no writing' hiatus    🌹🔥🌹    not available    🌹🔥🌹    formerly 'Briar Rose' & 'GypsyRose'    🌹🔥🌹

TheBlackThrone

Quote from: GypsyRose on December 07, 2017, 02:30:12 PM
Depending on posting rate expected, I would be interested in the concept -- perhaps as a (fairly young) widow who runs the town's diner/soda shop? 

Potential Dark Past
She's a widow 3 or 4 times over, and she didn't exactly wait for her late husbands to die of natural causes.  She'd be a mostly smiling, indulgent woman, easy going, until triggered.  Anyone threatening her new home, a haven from the ugliness of the modern world and accusing authority figures who don't understand how some things just GRATE on the nerves until they can't be ignored, would definitely brush up against that murderous side.

I'm expecting a very fair post rate. The other game I run doesn't move all that fast and it seems to be comfortable for everyone involved. It's a small game, so we can all regulate the post rate together just as the players do in my other one.

The concept you presented is interesting. I'm sure you'll develop it more if and when it comes time for the CS. I was planning for the dark backstory stuff to be written as a spoiler in the characters' backgrounds, so that the readers are presented with only the happy and positive stuff visibly. It hints to as things would appear in the game.
The gates are open
Current Time Zone: US MST
Delays: School 20 Feb - 9 May
Current solo request: None.
Current group request: Godsend