Iron Kingdoms RPG (Closed...for now)

Started by Crash, January 01, 2015, 08:17:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crash

This is an interest check for the Iron Kingdom’s RPG. You will need to have a copy of the Core Rules to play. It will be a small group game of 4-5 players and will involve some world building of the starting town Nynsk, so only apply if you have an interest in that sort of thing too.  This game will be set in the Northern Empire of Khador and be set far away from the warfronts so most military professions will not be available for play.  I may accept one non-human character, but I would like most if not all characters to be Skirov, Kossite or Khardic in decent.  Most of the town’s families are Skirov.  Kossite clans do live nearby and some have certainly settled in Nynsk over the years.  This game will likely be in the bondage thread.  I will be concentrating on plot in this game, but have no problem with sex being a part of it either.

This is not a first come first serve game.  I have two players that are already accepted.  The rest will be decided on willingness and availability to participate.  Anyone can participate in the world creation portion however if they wish.

Duwurkyn Volozk (Princedom)

This mountainous region holds the Shard Spires, including innumerous valleys and hills and the forest known as the Rimeshaws. Dangerous and deadly for the unprepared, the jagged, snow-capped Shards are prone to avalanche and sudden freezing storms. Entire caravans and villages have vanished under a single storm’s snowfall. The most accommodating southern valleys and plateaus are home to dozens of small mountain villages, fortified halls, old keeps, and walled townships. Great Prince Ryczek Torinskyev rules the unforgiving region.

The Shards were the ancestral home of the Nyss, who dominated the northern reaches of the volozk for over a thousand years. Some unfathomable disaster recently struck these people, annihilating their traditional nomadic culture and sending them fleeing from their tribal homes. The nature of this calamity is not well understood, but it has prompted many outlandish rumors among the neighboring inhabitants. It is generally thought a dragon was the root of the calamity, since dragonspawn were seen terrorizing the surrounding areas in great numbers afterward.

Several human villages and settlements were also obliterated by these horrific creatures, with possibly hundreds of casualties, though it is hard to say since the people in the region have long been insular and independent, and the full scope of the attacks is still unclear. The great prince’s well-armed liegemen and vassals eventually organized investigations, but the delay made it difficult to find the creatures responsible. Patrols in the mountains persist, ready to confront any lingering dragonspawn or other blighted creatures, such as remnants of the Nyss themselves—blighted versions of whom were reported fighting alongside the dragonspawn.

In the wake of this disaster, thousands of Nyss refugees moved south. They were so scarred by the event that they hardly spoke of it, even as they passed through Khadoran villages where they had once conducted limited trade. The great prince and his people have long grown accustomed to living almost exclusively in the southern half of the volozk, but since the Nyss abandoned their traditional homes, talk has begun of settlements expanding northward.

Northern Count Jaegur Kelshevich insists there are likely valuable mineral resources ripe for the taking in the northern region, and explorers and investors have mounted cautious expeditions to reclaim the area for the Motherland, with mercenaries hired for protection. Even if the Nyss are gone, the vast wilderness region has many perils, including winter trolls, argus, griffons, and other threats. Across the myriad valleys and woods are some of the last barbarian tribes of Khador, including dozens of old families whose houses bear sigils conveying their allegiance to the blackclads. When these inhabitants engage in trading, they continue to avoid the winter stones that mark Nyss territory.

Duwurkyn has a strong Menite following, most of Skirov descent, that slightly outnumbers their Morrowan neighbors. The western region also includes several towns of Kossite ancestry; they seem to be remnants of a more ancient time, including the rustic nobles who live in the mountains. They occupy their halls and keeps like lords of old, tending large hearth fires and taking pride in their prowess as hunters and leaders of brave warriors. The politics of the region are also slightly archaic, with occasional duels or feuds.

Great Prince Torinskyev is admired and well respected across the region, but this does not prevent his vassals from quarreling and otherwise occasionally testing the limits of his patience. With the region’s heavy snows and difficult passes, each community has considerable autonomy, and gatherings between leaders are infrequent. The great prince does not spend much time in the capital, traveling there once or twice a year to ensure his name is not forgotten. The empress has demanded the region’s nobles loosen their purse strings to improve roads and expand mines for the good of the nation, but such efforts have been slow in coming to fruition.

Duwurkyn Volozk Overview

Largest Ethnic Groups: Skirov majority, Kossite minority, some Rustov

Predominant Religions: Menite majority, Morrowan minority, some Devourer worship

Significant Towns (not on the map): Antonovo, Bolekh, Broniskov, Daliskov, Darsk, Grynsk, Holek, Kosk, Kosnovo, Kigirgrad, Kirgorod, Malko, Nynsk, Pariskoy, Ravaskov, Skroven, Stoyansk, Strasberg, Taborisk, Tatsk, Tevek, Tyminsk

Lord: Great Prince Ryczek Torinskyev

The People

KOSSITES
In the far northwest the once-wild Kossites have preserved much of their culture. They are a tall and lanky people, descendant of the forested tribes of Kos. The Kossite people are notoriously hostile to outsiders and retain certain tribal customs, even within larger towns and the great city of Ohk. Kossites have a reputation for wood lore and survivability in impossibly harsh conditions, deserved after centuries negotiating the frozen Scarsfell Forest. They are frequently sought after as scouts and trackers, and many serve the Khadoran Army in this capacity.

SKIROV
The other once wild people of the north that were tamed by the Kards, are the Skirov the people of Khador's northern Mountains. These thick-bodied and imposing people are among the most stoic and fearsome of Khadolans, noted for their strong Passions and intense piety. The people of this region have long been deeply religious-in ancient days they were zealous worshipers of the Wurm, but most took to Menite conversion after the crusades of priest-kings emulating Khardovic. Many mountain communities ale counted among the most stalwart supporters of the Old Faith, while others converted to the faith of Morrow and embraced its principles with a similar intensity. Temples and churches dominate these rustic mountain towns and the people of this region are among the most superstitious and distrustful of those suspected of witchcraft.
Skirov are fairer of skin and generally have lighter hair than most other Khadorans.

KHARDS
North of Ord, the Khadoran Empire is dominated by the second-largest culture in western Immoren, that of the Khardic people, descendants of the empire that ruled the north before the coming of the Orgoth. Over a thousand years ago, the Khardic Empire and its western horselords conquered many small nations, city-states, and tribes, and the Khards of the present day descend from the strongest bloodlines of those times. Like the other peoples of the north, they tend to be tall and physically robust on average, generally larger than their southern counterparts, mostly with pale skin. At its height the Khardic Empire stretched across a sizable portion of western Immoren and included many different peoples.

The Town

Nynsk
Nynsk is a logging and smelting town in nestled between the forest of the Rimeshaws and the Shard Spires along a tributary of the Neves River.  Being this far north, despite its processing power, Nynsk has little military presence.  It is simply too far from the borders of Ord and Cygnar for it to be in any real danger from battle.  Nynsk is where the player characters will be base out of and where I would like to concentrate some guided world building with the players before we begin.  I have a plot that I will run but there is a lot of room for things we come up with and by helping me flesh out the town we may come up with more plot ideas and help with people come up with characters with a real stake in what happens to Nynsk and its townsfolk.  I would like everyone’s character to come from or near the town.

Game Threads

Current Players
Dhi
Pumpkin Seeds
Tackyhillbilly

If you want to play a non-human character you will need to also submit a human character concept as I will at most allow one non-human in the group..

Character Sheet

[float=right][img height=400 padding=5]http://<insert image>[/img][/float][b]Character Name:[/b]
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Sex:[/b]
[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b]
[b]Faith:[/b]
[b]Archetype:[/b]
[b]Careers:[/b]
[b]Connections:[/b]

[b]Damage Capacity[/b]
[i]Physique:[/i]
[i]Agility:[/i]
[i]Intellect:[/i]
[i]Power Field:[/i]

[b]Feat Points:[/b]

[b]Appearance:[/b]
Height:
Weight:
Hair Color:
Eye Color:

[b]Personality:[/b]

[Spoiler=STATS]
PHY:
[list][li]SPD: [/li]
[li]STR: [/li][/list]

AGI:
[list][li]PRW: [/li]
[li]POI: [/li][/list]

INT:
[list][li]ARC: [/li]
[li]PER: [/li][/list]

WILLPOWER (PHY + INT):
DEFENCE (SPD+AGL+PER+Race Mod+Equip Mod):
ARM (PSY+Shield+Other):
INITIATIVE (SPD+ PRW+PER+Equip Mod+Other):
COMMAND RANGE (INT+Command+Ability Mods):
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=SKILLS]
<Insert Skills>
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=BENEFITS & ABILITIES]
<Insert B & A>
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=WEAPONS]
[u]Ranged[/u]
[table][tr][td]Name    [/td][td]RNG    [/td][td]RAT    [/td][td]POW    [/td][td]AoE    [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]<Weapon Name>[/td][td]<Wpn Rng>[/td][td]<RAT>[/td][td]<POW>[/td][td]<AOE>[/td][/tr]
[/table]

[u]Melee[/u]
[table][tr][td]Name    [/td][td]MAT    [/td][td]P+S    [/td][/tr]
[tr][td]<Weapon Name>[/td][td]<MAT>[/td][td]<P+S>[/td][/tr]
[/table]
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=EQUIPMENT]
<Equipment>
[/spoiler]

[spoiler=SPELLS]
<Spells>
[/spoiler]

[b]Background:[/b]

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Yandros

Just for clarification, you are using the newest version of the rules?  And not the old OGL/d20 material?

Crash

New rules from Privateer Press.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Yandros

Pumpkin Seeds

Now..I have to figure out what to play!

Dhi

I feel like I have a decent handle on the rules, which share a lot of overlap with the wargame rules. If nobody else is comfortable with the added complexity of the group mage I'll take the mantle, but as they seem more impressive than other characters I'd prefer to leave that to someone else and play a skills-oriented Investigator.

Pumpkin Seeds

Kind of thinking of playing a military type person. Maybe a border ranger type or some sort of watch guard.  Like the idea of playing a "heavy infantry" type.

Tackyhillbilly

A question. You mentioned you would like mostly human... but would there be room for a Searforge Trader? There are a number of Dwarves in Khador, and a Field Mechanik/Searforge Trader appeals to me.

Muse

*poucne! * Do you still have room for me? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crash

Pumpkin - There is not a big military presence in Nynsk so most of them would not be appropriate and lot likely any Heavy Infantry.  This is not going to be a military campaign.

Dhi - No need to absolutely have an Arcanist.  I won't punish the group if we don't have one.  I would rather you have a character you like.

Tacky -  I will probably take humans first, but if there is enough interest we are doing some world building first and we can define if one of the Rhulfolk and there family lives there.  I will need to look up Seaforge Trader but Nynsk is nowhere near the sea.

Muse - This is an interest check at the monent.  After we do some world building I will settle on characters, so you are welcome to participate.

Pumpkin Seeds

:: pouts:: and I was going to ask if a Man-O-War would be too extreme :P

Crash

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 01, 2015, 11:16:14 PM
:: pouts:: and I was going to ask if a Man-O-War would be too extreme :P

Ahh, yeah too extreme for this.

Most of The KGN book is out to be honest.

Pumpkin Seeds

Would a Ranger/Rifleman work then?  Sort of a survivalist and hunter type? 

Maybe put her family there as a group of trappers and traders that deal in some exotic furs depending on the wildlife and presence of those exotic animals.

1SAZ

While I'm normally a Cygnar, Ord, and Llael type of guy, this does have quite the appeal since I never see Iron Kingdoms games. I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring on this one. Time to play some steampunk Russians!

Tackyhillbilly

Searforge Trader is in Urban Adventures, Page 7. And not being near the sea is fine. Somebody has to be the Merchant handling the supplying of fine Rhulic 'Jack Parts, and other supplies to the good people of the Sea from the caravans, in exchange for ore and other such goods.

Crash

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 01, 2015, 11:23:21 PM
Would a Ranger/Rifleman work then?  Sort of a survivalist and hunter type? 

Maybe put her family there as a group of trappers and traders that deal in some exotic furs depending on the wildlife and presence of those exotic animals.

Absolutely.  Kossite and Skirov would work for that kind of character.

Quote from: 1SAZ on January 01, 2015, 11:25:36 PM
While I'm normally a Cygnar, Ord, and Llael type of guy, this does have quite the appeal since I never see Iron Kingdoms games. I'm gonna throw my hat in the ring on this one. Time to play some steampunk Russians!

Glad to have you.

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 01, 2015, 11:25:49 PM
Searforge Trader is in Urban Adventures, Page 7. And not being near the sea is fine. Somebody has to be the Merchant handling the supplying of fine Rhulic 'Jack Parts, and other supplies to the good people of the Sea from the caravans, in exchange for ore and other such goods.

Like I said we will have to see.  I would rather have a Khador merchant than a Rhulic one.

Tackyhillbilly

Unfortunately... the Searforge Trader is Rhul only. And well... they are the only class that really actually specializes in being a Merchant.

Crash

Might be able to make others work.  Like I said we will see.  I think we have enough to start defining Nynsk a little more.  I will start shooting off some questions soon for everyone to think about.

Dhi

One of the things that inspired me with Khador is Aleksandra Zerkova, and the wing of the Greylords who seem to be tasked with sorting old wives' tales from actual occult power, in the vein of the X-Files. Zerkova herself reminds me of the villains from the Hellboy movie, working for a desperate Nazi Germany which is losing the war and funding research into the occult because they have nothing to lose. Zerkova has just a few weird relics in her possession, but each one is unique and has its own history and there's certainly a story behind how she acquired each of them.

The character I want to play is a novice on that path, researching the ghost sightings, twisted fairy tales, and old traditions of her homeland in search of actual occult power that might bring glory to the empire. It would make more sense to me if she doesn't have magic power herself, but is simply well-read, connected, sneaky, and above all driven. If combat roles are mostly covered I might try Spy/Investigator, else Alchemist/Investigator if we need more firepower.

If I can pitch something for world building, I would like to see episodic macguffins, little mysteries for such a character to chase. They would probably be a lot of dead ends, but she continues regardless, determined to strike gold.

Crash

That shouldn't be hard to add in Dhi.

My assumption them is that you investigator is from Nynsk and familiar with the tails of the land....

What is you lady's favorite tale about the Area that first sparked her interest as a child?  And how prominent is her family in town?

Crash

Pumpkin Seeds - What exotic animal yields the best fur in the area? Tell me about it?

Crash

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 01, 2015, 11:34:01 PM
Unfortunately... the Searforge Trader is Rhul only. And well... they are the only class that really actually specializes in being a Merchant.

Tacky - what Khadoran family owns and runs the Mill?  What about the Foundry?  Give me one interesting thing about each of them?

Crash

Other questions to think about.  What does your family do?  Give me a business in town and who is it run by?

What are the prominent families in town?  What are the most infamous?

Pumpkin Seeds

Realistically and possibly in this setting that would be sable.  Which I'm sure her family did a fair amount of trade in trapping and hunting, providing the luxurious coat to the noble people further south.  Another possibility would be fur of the silver fox.

If you want ideas for a mythical creature, I might present the name leyshi to you as this is a slavic woodland spirit.  Perhaps a creature akin to a large badger or wolverine that is very aggressive, very large and very dangerous.  Still the fur is highly sought after, for its prowess in taking down the beast and its warm feel and soft surface. 

Tackyhillbilly

The Polzin's are Khardic of descent. They claim to have been in this area since the Khardic Empire reigned, but there is no way to check that claim. They've run the local mill for as long as the locals can remember. There are whispers that the maintain their exclusivity by force. 10 years ago, another family in town over decided to set up a mill, despite the Polzin's saying the region only needed one. It took a lot of work, and money, but they managed to get things together. Then... everything caught fire, with the mother and father in the mill. The Polzin's adopted their child, saying it was the kind thing to do. Some suggest that the fire might have been set... but there was nothing ever proved.

---

The Foundry isn't owned by a family, but rather by the most eligible bachelor in Nynsk, Vasya Zolnerowich. Vasya's past is rather mysterious to tell the truth. It is believed he served in the military, but where is unsure. His age, also unknown. Vasya showed up in town 5 years ago, and purchased the Foundry for an undisclosed sum from the previous owner, who moved south with his family and new found wealth. There are several black rumors about Vasya, but most people ignore them. For five years he's been a fixture of the town, and more then a few women with aspirations of a life of comfort and wealth have chased him, but none have caught him.

---

Dommat Searforge has lived in Khador his entire life, rarely stepping outside the Duwurkyn Volozk. But he is still a foreigner, if a tolerated one, and he knows it. He was sent to Nynsk 8 years ago by the clan, to handle operations in the area. The Searforges find the mineral wealth of Nynsk valuable, and 'Jack Parts and weapons can find buyers anywhere. Dommat runs a business maintaining 'Jacks, which are used heavily in the mining and other industries. He takes pay mostly in the form of materials they produce, which he transports out twice a year, at the end of Spring and Fall in large caravans.

Crash

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 02, 2015, 12:20:10 AM
Realistically and possibly in this setting that would be sable.  Which I'm sure her family did a fair amount of trade in trapping and hunting, providing the luxurious coat to the noble people further south.  Another possibility would be fur of the silver fox.

If you want ideas for a mythical creature, I might present the name leyshi to you as this is a slavic woodland spirit.  Perhaps a creature akin to a large badger or wolverine that is very aggressive, very large and very dangerous.  Still the fur is highly sought after, for its prowess in taking down the beast and its warm feel and soft surface.

Realistic and fantastic are both good.  ;D

Crash

Muse and 1SAZ - give me a loose idea for a character you might want to play.  A concept is fine.

Pumpkin Seeds - Your family has lived in the area for some time.  Do they favor the Rimeshaw forest or The Shards for trapping?

Dhi

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 12:04:38 AM
familiar with the tails of the land....
Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

A story my character has enjoyed since she was knee-high to a warjack is a tragic romance.
Long ago, the story goes, an unwanted child was set adrift in the reeds near Nynsk. In that time it was still a pristine forest, and a figure known as Queen of the Boughs took pity on the child and raised him as a friend of the forest animals. As a young man, the child grew lonesome and fell in love with a maiden who came to wash at the river's edge. The Queen of the Boughs became jealous, believing that the young man would leave the forest to be with his love, so she arranged for brigands to steal her away beyond the wild river, which in that time could not be tamed by mere mortal boats.

The young man did all in his power to reach his love, and in the end made a hasty bargain with the unliving river: if the river allowed him to pass and rescue his love, then on his return, he would allow the river to claim him. He crossed safely and had his daring rescue, and the two lovers were reunited for one last bittersweet night. On the morning, when they returned across the river together, the turbulent waters dragged them down and drowned them both.

On nights of a sudden freeze, when the rain has turned to ice and rattles in the branches of the trees along the Neves River, the Queen of the Boughs is said to be reaching her bony fingers to reclaim her boy's bones from the bottom of the river. On these nights the wind is espcially mournful, and the water especially agitated, as the spirits of the river and forest engage in a timeless stalemate of wills. It's said that the Queen of Boughs would grant any boon to see those bones returned to her.

These are the kind of tales that capture the imaginations of many loggers' daughters in Nynsk, who wash their clothes in the elements and dream of excitement on the far side of the river. My character had many such daydreams as she did her chores, but now she distances herself from her family, who are rough, and bad-tempered, and not nearly as refined and educated as she.

Crash

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 12:16:28 AM
Other questions to think about.  What does your family do?  Give me a business in town and who is it run by?

What are the prominent families in town?  What are the most infamous?

These are for anyone to answer.

Pumpkin Seeds

The Sojka family, as they were named by those that now settle these lands, have tended and kept to the forests of this area for many centuries.  Native by way of the Kossites, the Sojka family have done much to allow for the survival of Nynsk since before the mill and foundries were constructed.  Still the family has never ventured to live inside the borders of the town, even remaining out during the coldest winters.  The introduction of a more modern infrastructure seems to have provoked more of the family to move deeper into the forests of Rimeshaw.  Younger members of the family have come forward to trade for these newer bits of technology and have offered guided tours through the Rimeshaw forest and even up into the Shard.

Traditionally the people of the Sojka traded furs of wild beasts with townsfolk.  Most of these furs were simple pelts of rabbit, deer and wolf.  At times they would also offer their services out to push back wild populations and provide survival instruction.  The family also does a deep business in sable and silver fox furs, trading those with merchants that come visiting from noble buyers.  Each year though the family does disappear just before winter, leading a dangerous expedition of family only into the peaks of the Shard to hunt the elusive leyshi that comes to hibernate.  They prefer this time as they can chance happening on the beast while it is still preparing for rest and sometimes even directly afterward.  Still, each trip back involves wounded or dead regular enough that the townsfolk sometimes take bets on who returns.  The actual hunt has no true name b the Sojka, but the townsfolk call it Zima Marta or the Winter March.

So to answer the question, the family mainly traps Rimeshaw forest but does venture outward to the Shard for a specialized hunting.  I imagine the trip would be quite extensive and time consuming, but if the pelt is worth the effort they would do this.

Tackyhillbilly

Do you want me to give another family and business? I can, just don't want to overstep my bounds.

Crash

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 02, 2015, 01:06:57 AM
Do you want me to give another family and business? I can, just don't want to overstep my bounds.

Sure, go right ahead.  We are building the town so go nuts.  It may not all make it in but it gives characters a place to tie in.

Quote from: Pumpkin Seeds on January 02, 2015, 01:05:36 AM
The Sojka family, as they were named by those that now settle these lands, have tended and kept to the forests of this area for many centuries.  Native by way of the Kossites, the Sojka family have done much to allow for the survival of Nynsk since before the mill and foundries were constructed.  Still the family has never ventured to live inside the borders of the town, even remaining out during the coldest winters.  The introduction of a more modern infrastructure seems to have provoked more of the family to move deeper into the forests of Rimeshaw.  Younger members of the family have come forward to trade for these newer bits of technology and have offered guided tours through the Rimeshaw forest and even up into the Shard.

Traditionally the people of the Sojka traded furs of wild beasts with townsfolk.  Most of these furs were simple pelts of rabbit, deer and wolf.  At times they would also offer their services out to push back wild populations and provide survival instruction.  The family also does a deep business in sable and silver fox furs, trading those with merchants that come visiting from noble buyers.  Each year though the family does disappear just before winter, leading a dangerous expedition of family only into the peaks of the Shard to hunt the elusive leyshi that comes to hibernate.  They prefer this time as they can chance happening on the beast while it is still preparing for rest and sometimes even directly afterward.  Still, each trip back involves wounded or dead regular enough that the townsfolk sometimes take bets on who returns.  The actual hunt has no true name b the Sojka, but the townsfolk call it Zima Marta or the Winter March.

So to answer the question, the family mainly traps Rimeshaw forest but does venture outward to the Shard for a specialized hunting.  I imagine the trip would be quite extensive and time consuming, but if the pelt is worth the effort they would do this.

Awesome -  Deep in the Rimeshaw live a couple of clans of Rustov's.  There people worship the Devourer Wurm in a milder form.  They have left others more or less alone.  Does your clan interact with them? How do they real about them?  How are they taking the deeper intrusion into the Rimeshaws?

Quote from: Dhi on January 02, 2015, 12:58:42 AM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves!

A story my character has enjoyed since she was knee-high to a warjack is a tragic romance.
Long ago, the story goes, an unwanted child was set adrift in the reeds near Nynsk. In that time it was still a pristine forest, and a figure known as Queen of the Boughs took pity on the child and raised him as a friend of the forest animals. As a young man, the child grew lonesome and fell in love with a maiden who came to wash at the river's edge. The Queen of the Boughs became jealous, believing that the young man would leave the forest to be with his love, so she arranged for brigands to steal her away beyond the wild river, which in that time could not be tamed by mere mortal boats.

The young man did all in his power to reach his love, and in the end made a hasty bargain with the unliving river: if the river allowed him to pass and rescue his love, then on his return, he would allow the river to claim him. He crossed safely and had his daring rescue, and the two lovers were reunited for one last bittersweet night. On the morning, when they returned across the river together, the turbulent waters dragged them down and drowned them both.

On nights of a sudden freeze, when the rain has turned to ice and rattles in the branches of the trees along the Neves River, the Queen of the Boughs is said to be reaching her bony fingers to reclaim her boy's bones from the bottom of the river. On these nights the wind is espcially mournful, and the water especially agitated, as the spirits of the river and forest engage in a timeless stalemate of wills. It's said that the Queen of Boughs would grant any boon to see those bones returned to her.

These are the kind of tales that capture the imaginations of many loggers' daughters in Nynsk, who wash their clothes in the elements and dream of excitement on the far side of the river. My character had many such daydreams as she did her chores, but now she distances herself from her family, who are rough, and bad-tempered, and not nearly as refined and educated as she.

Very cool Dhi.  Menite religion is the majority with a sizable minority of Morrowans.  What religion is your family? Your Character? And who are the leaders of the churches in Nynsk.

Crash

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 02, 2015, 12:35:18 AM
The Polzin's are Khardic of descent. They claim to have been in this area since the Khardic Empire reigned, but there is no way to check that claim. They've run the local mill for as long as the locals can remember. There are whispers that the maintain their exclusivity by force. 10 years ago, another family in town over decided to set up a mill, despite the Polzin's saying the region only needed one. It took a lot of work, and money, but they managed to get things together. Then... everything caught fire, with the mother and father in the mill. The Polzin's adopted their child, saying it was the kind thing to do. Some suggest that the fire might have been set... but there was nothing ever proved.

---

The Foundry isn't owned by a family, but rather by the most eligible bachelor in Nynsk, Vasya Zolnerowich. Vasya's past is rather mysterious to tell the truth. It is believed he served in the military, but where is unsure. His age, also unknown. Vasya showed up in town 5 years ago, and purchased the Foundry for an undisclosed sum from the previous owner, who moved south with his family and new found wealth. There are several black rumors about Vasya, but most people ignore them. For five years he's been a fixture of the town, and more then a few women with aspirations of a life of comfort and wealth have chased him, but none have caught him.

---

Dommat Searforge has lived in Khador his entire life, rarely stepping outside the Duwurkyn Volozk. But he is still a foreigner, if a tolerated one, and he knows it. He was sent to Nynsk 8 years ago by the clan, to handle operations in the area. The Searforges find the mineral wealth of Nynsk valuable, and 'Jack Parts and weapons can find buyers anywhere. Dommat runs a business maintaining 'Jacks, which are used heavily in the mining and other industries. He takes pay mostly in the form of materials they produce, which he transports out twice a year, at the end of Spring and Fall in large caravans.

How do the predominantly Skirov/Kossite townsfolk and leadership feel about the mill being owned by a Khard.  How do the Polzin's feel about the town?

Tackyhillbilly

Let's see...

The Ivanov's run a smithy, and have for a number of years. Skirov in ancestry, they are an old family, with numerous branches. However, the most notable thing about them is the terrible luck they seem to suffer. Ivanov children drown, or go missing, houses burn, general misfortune rains down on them. Why this is isn't known. There are whispers of curses from witches, or that they commit sins against Menoth (or the Wurm, depending on who you ask). Either way, despite tragedy after tragedy, the family soldiers on, devout Menites and pillars of the community. The SMithy does fine work, and the current Smith, Ammic, is much admired. His young wife is little seen. Her left leg was broken in an accident, and set poorly, leaving her unable to walk without a crutch.

Tackyhillbilly

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 01:26:28 AM
How do the predominantly Skirov/Kossite townsfolk and leadership feel about the mill being owned by a Khard.  How do the Polzin's feel about the town?

The Townsfolk do not like it, but not to the point where they are going to get out the pitch forks. The Polzin's roots are sunk deep, and they have friends in the government. Without another option for a mill, and anyway of getting rid of them, the townsfolk must tolerate it. In addition, the Polzin's are generous with their wealth in the right ways, which blunts aggression. Furthermore, while their name and ancestry is Khardic, they have married a number of Skirov and Kossite daughters. Blood ties help smooth things along.

As for the Polzin's themselves? It's home. They don't intend to leave. They don't intend to lose their position. They intend to live comfortably, and enrich themselves and the town. None of the living ones have ever ventured far from it, so more then anything, they don't think about it. The know the rest of Khador is out there... but in a faint, ethereal way. Nynsk is real. And it is home. It isn't perfect, but nothing is.

Crash

Cool stuff Tacky!  I am heading to bed but will check in tomorrow to see if we have any new interest in the game and to come up with more questions. 

Looking forward to seeing everyone's answers!

Dhi

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 01:16:17 AM
Menite religion is the majority with a sizable minority of Morrowans.  What religion is your family? Your Character? And who are the leaders of the churches in Nynsk.
The heart of a Menite beats in my character's chest with a devotion for the Lawgiver which has fueled a lifelong love of rites and solemn rituals. The faith was handed down from her parents, who entered the congregation through the workforce- the priests of the Creator of Mankind work closely with the laborers to praise the potential of man's effort and place in the world. It isn't required to convert to the Menite faith to find work as a laborer, but it does open many doors.

Largely, the priests of Nynsk are joyless old men. Sabin Caragiale's deep voice leads the congregation in prayer, Mikhail Grychkin advises the faithful on the ancient laws, and the truly venerable Oleg Xodor handles the funds of the church and its charitable aims. Last year, the old master of rites passed on, and his temporary replacement now seems to be a permanent fixture. Her name is Nadine, a foreign Sul-Menite from Leryn, and the Sul-Menite rites she brings with her abrade at times with the local traditions. She remains a controversial new blood, and there are those who call her a troublemaker.

But if one were to ask my character, the power of the old Sul-Menite rites trumps the comfortable familiarity of their "incorrect" local counterparts... just barely.

Muse

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 12:53:04 AM
Muse and 1SAZ - give me a loose idea for a character you might want to play.  A concept is fine.

Pumpkin Seeds - Your family has lived in the area for some time.  Do they favor the Rimeshaw forest or The Shards for trapping?

Sorry I haven't finished reading up on the thread yet, Crash.  I caught that you want humans, and that you're in a specific area with Russian influence. 

I'm curious if a gun mage would be appropriate? 

i'll finish reading before I actually offer a concept. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Crash

Quote from: Muse on January 02, 2015, 06:49:03 AM
Sorry I haven't finished reading up on the thread yet, Crash.  I caught that you want humans, and that you're in a specific area with Russian influence. 

I'm curious if a gun mage would be appropriate? 

i'll finish reading before I actually offer a concept.

Sure gun mages aren't just military and a GM favorite so they are available.

Miroque

Would you take Nyss refugee escaping with all she ever had with her, from the north? I was thinking of Gifted Nyss Sorceress/Ranger.

Lone young Nyss girl escaping into the unhospitable Khador, still sure that Khador is safer that the lands north of them. Lands corrupted by the Dragonblooded Legion.

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 02, 2015, 11:31:12 AM
Would you take Nyss refugee escaping with all she ever had with her, from the north? I was thinking of Gifted Nyss Sorceress/Ranger.

Lone young Nyss girl escaping into the unhospitable Khador, still sure that Khador is safer that the lands north of them. Lands corrupted by the Dragonblooded Legion.

It is a possibility.  At the time of the game it is known that there have been an unusual number of Nyss spotted heading south.  No real news of Dragonspawn have reached Nynsk and the migrating Nyss aren't talking.  So I don't want a Nyss character that really knows what is going on up North.

Miroque

No problem.. Something attacked her tribe's compound, something nightmarish.. (like couple of Scyretheans) and they were forced to leave, when monsters out from nightmares were swarming them. (no need to know about whats really going on)

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 02, 2015, 11:40:02 AM
No problem.. Something attacked her tribe's compound, something nightmarish.. (like couple of Scyretheans) and they were forced to leave, when monsters out from nightmares were swarming them. (no need to know about whats really going on)

Sent PM ;)

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 02, 2015, 11:40:02 AM

Let's change it to something more mundane like an unexpected winter troll attack and it would be possible, she was separated and fled south.  Her village was devastated and when she reached Nynsk she was cold, hungry and alone.  She could have been taken in by an old couple on the edge of town who's children had all passed on before their time or something like that.

Crash

Tacky and Miroque - I am going to ask that anyone submitting a non-human character concept also submit a human concept for the game.

Crash

GM Announcement
I am going to get a thread in the World Building Section for Nynsk so I can drop all of this cool stuff you are coming up with in one place for ease of reference.

Okay, I think we can start getting more developed character concepts started which I am sure will spark more questions for me.

Some things to remember.  All human characters are from Nynsk or live much of the year nearby like Pumpkin's Kossite.

What I want is....

Character Name:
Race or Ethnicity:
Sex:
Sexual Orientation:
Proposed Careers:

Concept and Background:
  This only has to be a decent paragraph.  Focus on personality, how the character integrates into Nynsk, what they and their family does to help the town prosper (laborers, mechaniks, teachers, church members, community leaders...etc).  A quick idea of who they are, what they are like and how they fit basically.  Include a pic if you wish.

Miroque

Name: Ihardic
Race: Nyss
Class: Sorceress/Ranger
Sexual Orientation: Submissive virgin

Description:
Ihardic is 5´2 and very slim. Her skin is ebony, and her hair is snow white. Her slim figure is made out from mens dreams, while her violet eyes pierce souls of who ever she looks directly. There is unnatural breeze of cold around her.

Background:
Few years ago, the young Nyss was found wandering in the blizzard, by kossite hunter. The hunter toke her in, feed her and tried to communicate with her. The hunter descided Ihardic to be slow in the head. From there, Ihardic's troubles started. Hunter was not an kind man, and in the far north, he was lonely, and so where his friends. He made her his house slave. They forced her to work by day and pleasure them by night. No, none of them bed her, as she was an mongrel, but they used her mouth, and teached her to use her hands to pleasure men. They kept their nigtly hobbies in secret, as most of them had family in town, and it would taint their reputation. Instead they told everyone, that they were teaching her, in language and in customs. They even forced Ihardic to encomppany them around the town. She were way too scared to tell anyone, as who would take her side anyway so she succumbed, succumbed and waited.

Sheriff toke liking of the young Nyss, during one of those walks around the town, and told the hunter, she was to come with him. He was an actual kind man. In his house, Ihardic found warmth and safety. She still did not spoke about the abuse she had encountered, as humans kept together against outsiders and maybe the sheriff would throw her out.

Years grew and Ihardic learned the language and started to help Sheriff in mundane chores. She was keen eyed and could easily find her way even in hardest of winters. She helped the townfolk during winters, if they lost cattle or someone was amiss. Snow and cold was nothing to her.

Alexei Radochezek, Kossite Hunter
Alexei is mean spirited man, 6´2 and nearly 250lb. Not all of his mass are muscle, but life in the wilderness has chiceled him an hulk of an man. He loves simple things; Subservient women, luke warmth ale and his large family. Alexei was humiliated by sheriff, when he stole away his house slave, but Alexei knew better that to anger the crowns appointed man, and he bid his time, waiting an opportunity to strike back.

Radochezek family
Family consists of an eldery matriarch Dochinova and her 8 sons. Andrenikov, Alexei, Strikoi, Vladimir, Hurgino, Soren, Jerikoi and youngest, Dimitri. Family has large estate outside the town, but its rundown, when Dochinovas husband died over an decade ago. Clan makes their living selling furs and owning an forest, that they have rented to local saw. Clan has an reputation of being rowdy and thickheaded. Almost regulary, some of the sons make somekind of racket in local taverns.

Crash

Crash

That works Miroque.

Questions:  Give me more on the hunter family that abused her. Who they are and does she still run into them in town,

What is the family in town like?  What are their names and history?

Crash

GM Announcement

I think I have added all of the player created stuff so far to the World Building Thread.

We can certainly use more.

We need businesses and backgrounds for them as well as People of Interest, so if you all have ideas give me a write up here or in the World Building Thread and I will add it.

Miroque

Il post about them when i get home.. and yes i was thinking hillbilly hunter family tjat lives on the outskirts of the town.. and cause allkind of trouble for her.. and to the town.. (indian girl in frontiertown type of situation)

Crash

Some military carriers may work in terms of the Law in Nynsk.  Winterguard and Military Officer careers could work in that context.

Which reminds me, I really need to look for the Khadorean terms for Sheriff, nobility and merchant class again.

Crash

Anikita Ivanov added to the World Building Thread

Anikita Ivanov
A middle child Anikita wasn’t satisfied with being married off like her sisters and instead began work in her family’s foundry before her majority.  She has somehow managed to survive the family curse.  There are whispers it is because of her gift, which to the superstitious townsfolk could be a manifestation of the family’s bad luck anyway.  Anikita’s was always an intelligent girl and had a way with tools, but it was Dommat Seaforge that recognized the spark of magic within the girl first and suggested Anikita’s parents talk with the Lord Mayor about getting her training. 

Anikita was sent to the Khadoran Institute of Engineering in the capital city of Korsk.  She grew into an exceptional arcane mechanic, but turned down a military commission to return home and work for both her parents and Dommat.  She is often called on by both the lumber mill and the foundry to repair their steamjacks and continue to modernize their production.
Anikita is a no-nonsense woman who claims she has little time for courtship or marriage.  In truth she has no interest in men and never has.  Anikita always has a pet project or two of her own to keep her busy but still enjoys spending time outdoors and takes unexpected strolls in the foothills and the Rimeshaw.  When walking alone Anikita takes her steamjack Miska with her for protection.

Despite her somewhat delicate appearance Anikita can often be found in loud discourse with laborers and management at the Mill or Foundry.  She doesn’t back down from confrontation and can be a bit of a hot head.  A trait she developed at the Institute to make sure she was heard among her male counterparts.

Away from work she prefers quiet contemplation and a warm fire or the feeling of freshly falling snowflakes on her cheeks.  The beauty of winter enthralls her and is one of the reasons she chose home over the war.

All - When we start getting better defined concepts from players I will make a decision on what the final roster will be, but I know we have had some interest by a few people and I would like to give them a chance to jump in and see what they are thinking before we get to that.

Dhi

An early proof of concept.

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 04:04:09 PM
Some military carriers may work in terms of the Law in Nynsk.  Winterguard and Military Officer careers could work in that context.

Which reminds me, I really need to look for the Khadorean terms for Sheriff, nobility and merchant class again.
I always liked the flavor of kayazy as merchants.

Character Name: Valentine Karskaja
Race or Ethnicity: Skirov
Sex: Female
Sexual Orientation: Lesbian
Proposed Careers: Investigator + (Spy, Alchemist, or Arcanist)

Concept and Background: Magic is not a thing of beauty - that is a fairy tale for little girls. Magic is a wild, voracious, man-eating beast. From the stony wood of the Rimeshaws Papa Karskaja fashioned many resolute and breathtaking things which would endure the years and its culling winters, but Valentine was his finest work. With the mettle to brave the strange and mysterious, the acuity to sort truth from fiction, and the cunning to protect her own, she will thrust a scholar's hand into the beating heart of the occult and tear free that which is powerful for the glory of the Khadoran Empire.

Crash

Quote from: Dhi on January 02, 2015, 07:26:29 PM
I always liked the flavor of kayazy as merchants.

Kayazy was the word I was looking for.  Thanks Dhi.

Crash

The Nobility

The Petru Family

The Petru family has had a long and proud lineage in the Duwurkyn Volozk, though is a virtual unknown on greater political map of Khador.  The Petru are of Skirov decent and favor fairer skin and hair which is not uncommon in Skirov people.  A Petru has been the Viscount of the area since the beginning of the first Vanar Dynasty.  Despite their relative anonymity, all of the Petru children serve in the Khador Military if they wish to become the titular heir.  Non-heirs of the family are often members of the church, the military or as Posadnik of nearby towns.

• Posadnik Iagan Petru
    Master Iagan Petru is the Posadnik in charge of Nynsk.  While Posadnik is not a hereditary title the Petru’s have held it for the past two generations much to the chagrin of the former Posadnik’s family the Bolovan’s, who are still prominent merchants and land owners.  Iagan has served for the past decade as Captain of a Winter Guard unit in Lael and suffers from some PTSD symptoms from the war.  Since his battles with the Protectorate he lost his faith in Menoth and converted to the worship of Morrow.  He helped pay for the construction of a new church in Nynsk upon his return and has been a regular face for sermons.  This has not gone over well with the new Master of Rites Nadine, but the town has prospered under Iagan’s stewardship so the grumblings of Nadine’s supporters and the Bolovan’s have gone mostly unheeded by the Old Faith congregation.  However if the fortunes of Nynsk were to take a turn for the worst this could become more of a problem.

Crash

Anyone who wants to answer:

Nynsk is known for a small export other than Lumber and parts.  What is it?

What is the food most eaten at a Longest Night Dinner?  What significance does it have?

Who is the bogeyman/woman that parents tell their children about?

Tackyhillbilly

Character Name: Dommat Searforge
Race or Ethnicity: Rhul
Sex: Male
Sexual Orientation: Straight
Proposed Careers: Searforge Trader/Field Mechanik

Concept and Background: Dommat Searforge has lived in Khador his entire life, rarely stepping outside the Duwurkyn Volozk. But he is still a foreigner, if a tolerated one, and he knows it. He was sent to Nynsk 8 years ago by the clan, to handle operations in the area. The Searforges find the mineral wealth of Nynsk valuable, and 'Jack Parts and weapons can find buyers anywhere. Dommat runs a business maintaining 'Jacks, which are used heavily in the mining and other industries. He takes pay mostly in the form of materials they produce, which he transports out twice a year, at the end of Spring and Fall in large caravans. These are rather festive events, as Dommat will pick up most of the bill for transport of goods for other people in town. After all, the Caravans always have empty space coming up. Bright Shawls, toys, instruments, things that don't let you live, but make the life better. For that, the people of Nynsk are fond of their Dwarf. Certainly, they don't view him as family, but he's useful, amusing, and always has a bright smile. Very few think if that smile is maybe an affecation.

---

Back-up Human Character

Character Name: Daumantas Ivanov
Race/Ethnicity: Skirov
Careers: Horsemen/Investigator

Background: Daumantas is an all purpose government worker. Nynsk doesn't need a huge standing guard, or police force, so many of the officers in the Watch pull double or triple duty. Most of the time, Daumantas serves as the postman, running mail and the like to outlying communities. He's generally a welcome sight, bringing news from family gone afar, friends in distant places. It is easy to forget his other job. Coroner, forensics, and cop, all in one. It isn't often that he has to investigate crimes, most being of the petty type. Most of the time he sees a dead body, its to haul it in from accident for burial. But he's useful all the same.

---

The Skirov of Nynsk fear the Face in the Snow. The story has many variations, but the most common goes like this. Many years ago, a dying Nyssian Elf was found by the people of Nynsk. They brought him to Nynsk, which was far smaller in those days. The Elf was at the edge of death, but somehow hung on, to stubborn to die. 1 season, then two. The people fed him, for that was what they believe Menoth would have them do. But when winter hit, another mystery gripped the town. Children vanished. One by one. No one ever saw them taken, or fall, or anything happen to them. They were just picked off. What happened wracked the town till spring. The Elf... long forgotten except by the priest that cared for him... vanished with the melting snow. And outside his window? Where the snow had piled, and piled, till it could never be shifted? Bones. Picked clean. Showing teeth marks. The people searched, but the Elf could not be found. Until the first snowfall... when the people had grown lax. Had forgotten. Two siblings, a boy and a girl had been allowed out of sight. And the boy was first to see it. He saw the snow shift... and finally take on the Elf's face. Except, the Elf had not nearly so many sharp teeth, nor a neck so long as to allow it to snap out of the snow... grabbing his sister around the neck with a crunch and pulling her down into the snow. They didn't find the girl till next spring. Her bones piled, chewed clean. Now, the Skirov say, the Face in the Snow waits every winter, to snatch children who wander from their parents... to leave only their chewed bones behind.

Most sensible people believe the story is largely fictitious. A child who dies and is not found till spring will be chewed. No supernatural elf is needed. The Wolves will do that for them. However, it does ensure that children do not wander to far when there is snow on the ground, a sensible thing of course.

Crash

Tacky - Good stuff.  You may want to reconsider the investigator career on Duamantas as I think It is pretty integral to Dhi's character and don't want to double up.  Bounty Hunter may work for him though.  What do you think?

Tackyhillbilly

I considered that, but Bounty Hunter and Horseman mix about as well as Oil and Water. Honestly, as a back up, Bounty Hunter/Highwayman would work mechanically, though Daumantas isn't a Highwayman at all in fluff.

Crash

TheGlyphstone

This looks like it could be fun - I really like Iron Kingdoms, and I absolutely love collaborative world-building like what is going on. Is there still potential to join in, or do you already have more applicants than you intend to take players?

Crash

You are welcome to join in.  I haven't finalized all of the players yet.  I know Dhi is playing an Investigator + (Either Spy, Alchemist or Arcanist), her second career is based on party need.  Pumpkin is playing a Ranger/ Rifleman. 

I am leaning towards one non-human race at most so anyone that wants to submit a non-human needs to submit a human concept too.

I am going to leave the interest thread up over the weekend and determine final characters late Sunday or Monday.

Look over the first post and the World building thread to see what we have come up with and feel free to answer any of the previously unanswered questions I have put to the potential players.

Crash

I just need concepts and proposed careers write now not full characters.

TheGlyphstone

How would you feel about a Field and/or Arcane Mechanik, Priest of Cyriss?

Miroque

Quote from: Crash on January 02, 2015, 10:51:54 PM
Anyone who wants to answer:

Nynsk is known for a small export other than Lumber and parts.  What is it?
What is the food most eaten at a Longest Night Dinner?  What significance does it have?
Who is the bogeyman/woman that parents tell their children about?

Im from Finland IRL, and if we can/will draw similarities for Laplandish folk and northern part Khador, then I could offer some folklorish answers.
1) Raw coal (open mines), Tar (comes from trees), Furs and meat (mainly reindeer)
2) Reindeer, rootvegetables that are stored, pickeled fish and pies. Significance of midwinter feast in finlandish folklore was to rebirth of sun and coming of spring.
3) Giants that eat men in the blizzards and witches of the north.

Hope this helps?

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 03, 2015, 02:54:01 AM
How would you feel about a Field and/or Arcane Mechanik, Priest of Cyriss?

Keeping it menoth and morrow for now.

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 03, 2015, 05:33:57 AM
Im from Finland IRL, and if we can/will draw similarities for Laplandish folk and northern part Khador, then I could offer some folklorish answers.
1) Raw coal (open mines), Tar (comes from trees), Furs and meat (mainly reindeer)
2) Reindeer, rootvegetables that are stored, pickeled fish and pies. Significance of midwinter feast in finlandish folklore was to rebirth of sun and coming of spring.
3) Giants that eat men in the blizzards and witches of the north.

Hope this helps?

It doesn't have to be based on reality.  I am just prompting people to get them to come up with fun things about the Town thought that information is still useful.

Miroque

Quote from: Crash on January 03, 2015, 11:20:12 AM
It doesn't have to be based on reality.  I am just prompting people to get them to come up with fun things about the Town thought that information is still useful.

I got that, but as Khador is basicly Preusian/Russian empire with Scandinavian feel those realworld comparisons might help .. I hope anyway :)

Crash

They most certainly do help. :)

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Crash on January 03, 2015, 10:36:28 AM
Keeping it menoth and morrow for now.

Okay, forget the Priest then. But I've got a new idea I like almost as much - a Field Mechanik/Thief who baits traps for victims with his fully armed and operational battle station laborjack.

TheGlyphstone

Character Name: Josef Zavor
Race or Ethnicity: Human Male (Khardic)
Proposed Careers: Field Mechanik/Thief

Concept and Background: 
Zavor & Zavor was a moderately prosperous shipping+loading firm in Skrovenberg - not one of the great merchants, but successful enough to stay in business and build up a surplus. Vasily Zavor was a hard-working, stolid, and determined sort, greatly responsible for the success of Zavor & Zavor. Unfortunately, his son Josef was not. While his father ran the family firm and effectively did all the work, Josef drank, gambled, and generally lazed about on the very edge of his means. He was the despair of his father, but his mother had died of sickness one winter and Josef was the only heir Vasily would ever see. Naturally, the time came when the elder Zavor finally died and Josef inherited a business he didn't want and didn't know how to run. So he sold it to pay off his gambling debts, keeping only the family laborjack, and headed deeper into the Motherland in search of some sort of fortune. Rather than resort to gainful employment and/or sell off the 'jack, he got creative and turned to a life of crime. A laborjack was anything but stealthy, but it could be a fantastic distraction and decoy with a little artful rust and damaged parts painted on, or just walking down a thoroughfare and jostling prospective pickpocket victims. When travelers in an area started getting wise to supposedly abandoned steamjacks sitting by a roadside for easy salvage, he'd move on before the local constabulatory could track him down. Now he's come to Nynsk, to lay low for a while off his ill-gotten gains and scope out the traffic in and out of the town before resuming 'work'.

Creeper, the formerly nameless laborjack that Josef made into his partner in crime, is far more capable than its appearance lets on. Josef habitually paints the 'jack's chassis with false patches of rust and 'damaged' components, to better suit its role as a heap of salvage just waiting for some gullible victim on the road. As well, its left arm is an entirely false shell, a hollow 'fist' that fits over the steam-launched harpoon cannon replacing its left forearm. A few scratch-built mods to its steam vents reduce the visual signs of a 'jack under power and (very slightly) muffle it.

In its own right, Creeper has developed some distinctive mannerisms in imitation of its owner. It walks with a loose-legged, stalking gait as if believing itself to be even remotely capable of anything resembling stealth, and delights in 'playing dead' for greedy strangers. It also tends to be almost as lazy as Josef, blithely ignoring any attempts to make it do actual manual labor without Josef standing by and directing it in detail.

(If I get a chance to progress with this concept, I would like to have Play Dead be an actual command Creeper knows, replacing Work on the list of built-in commands a Ferrum-Grade Cortex can recognize. With the boiler capped, it would look and sound like it was in shutdown mode, but primed to act on command.)

Crash

Glyphstone - All character must have grown up in or close to Nynsk if they are of the wilderness bent.  I want all of the characters to have strong ties to the town and the other characters.  That does not mean that the character has to be the nicest person, but I am not going to accept any recently arrived characters.

Tie him into one of the Kayazy families that either exist in Nynsk or make one up that already exists in Nynsk and give it a write up and he will fit in much better.

May want to consider making him Skirov instead of Khardic too.  Khards are a significant minority in Nynsk.  The majority is Skirov followed by Kossite, then Rustov (Pumpkin is working on them as a gypsy type group), and last is Khard.  Though he may fit in with the Khardic family that owns the Lumber Mill.

TheGlyphstone

How is a habitual thief with a pet steamjack going to have any possibility of blending in under those conditions? I could move his origin to Nynsk just fine - lumber-mill works as easily as port-city ship loading business, but then how would you be able to justify him not having been identified and arrested by now? I really like this character and I really want to play in this game, but not at the cost of making the constabulatory of Nynsk - which includes one of the other potential PCs, it looks like - completely incompetent.

Crash

Dhi and Pumpkin - I would like you both to start working on full characters.  I have a character sheet in the opening post.

Tacky - I honestly like Dommat as an NPC.  If you want to start writing up a full character and background for Daumantas, then I say go for it!

I am still waiting on concepts from everyone else, but maybe seeing your three characters will give others a way to tie into them.  Please use this space to work on ties between characters.

Glyphstone - If he keeps his ambush tactics from targeting townsfolk or uses Nynsk as a base and leaves for a month or two at a time to do his dirty work, I see no problems with that.  He wouldn't be able to target anyone anywhere once winter sets in and could use his steamjack to pick up some tasteless grunt work in the lean months.  There are plenty of Kossite clans in the Shards and towns along the river that could be used as prey.  Hell the owners of the Mill may even pay him for messing with other smaller town mills.  The Lumber Mill has chased other competition out of town before and would not hesitate to do it again.

I am being a little more anal than I would be with characters for this game because I want it to be a close group of people based in a collaboratively built town in the hinterlands of Khador.  I think your character can fit with a little massaging.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, I think that can be finessed into something workable. The GM half of me gets what you're trying to do, and approves - one of the things that tends to bother me about RPG groups is "you all meet in a tavern and decide dragon-hunting sounds awesome".

Crash

Very much trying to avoid that.

You can make up issues between prominent families and even the idea of a rival business or town.  The history of Nynsk is wide open.  Just take a look at the world building thread so you can see what has already been added and them work something in with that.  I believe I indicated the name of a family that used to rule Nynsk that could even be a thorn in peoples side, but hasn't really been fleshed out.  Have fun with fitting him in and adding to the world!   ;D

TheGlyphstone

Can he at least be from out of town originally, but lived in Nynsk long enough to be considered part of the town? Say he's from a family branch connected to the Polzins - his mother was a Polzin, maybe, and the shipping business he 'inherited' part of a commercial alliance to smooth transportation costs to the rest of the Empire. He bailed on his hometown and started wandering, then wrote to his dear Uncle Polzin looking for a job. Now he's one of their wetworks specialists, and does a little freelance banditry on the side during the warm months when he can travel. At least five years of residency or so, maybe more if you'd prefer.

Crash

I want original residents.  He could have moved away for a time, but his childhood should have been in Nynsk.

I would say Wetworks might be a bit strong.  I picture the Polzin's being more the intimidate, extort and arson kind of people when it comes to competition from outsiders.  They wouldn't have someone assassinated, but robbed, threatened and beaten would be fine with the understanding that collateral damage sometimes happens but should be kept to a minimum if possible.

I don't want sociopaths and assassin in the group.  Spoiled lazy thugs with an endearing quality or two however could work just fine.  May even be able to set up a bit of a rivalry with the local authorities because he family helps keep him out of trouble when he is working for them?

TheGlyphstone

That's more of what I was thinking of for wetworks anyways. I'll just make him a native then, as awkward as it might be to have him beating up people he grew up next to.

I might take Cutthroat as a career instead of Thief, in this case. Burglary and pickpocketing would require enough effort to be like work anyways for the personality I'm envisioning, and nothing in Cutthroat actually compels him to murderize people. Plus, having the protection of his family reduces his need for the deceptive skills inherent in Thief.

On the other hand, Cutthroat gets +1 Military skill versus Thief's 6 extra levels of Occupational skills, so sticking with Thief is awfully tempting. Maybe I can negotiate some Customization when we get to the crunchy bits, like swapping Bribery 1 for Intimidation 1. I dunno, I'll mull it over.

Crash

Dhi

What are we thinking on archetypes? I'd like to take Intellectual, but if someone else wants that one I could go Skilled instead, so there's less redundancy.

TheGlyphstone

Though it looks like this iteration of Josef will actually be rather darker than I had originally envisioned him - a lazy brute instead of the money-or-your-life bandit his initial draft included.

Regarding his 'Jack, though - Khador doesn't make Light Laborjacks, only Heavy ones, so should I get a foreign laborjack model to stick with the starting equipment the book says I should have? Or do you want me to have a Khadoran heavy laborjack to keep the home-grown character feel to the whole thing?

Quote from: Dhi on January 03, 2015, 11:56:04 PM
What are we thinking on archetypes? I'd like to take Intellectual, but if someone else wants that one I could go Skilled instead, so there's less redundancy.

There's no reason to avoid doubling up on Archetypes, since they have many possible perks. An Intellectual with Hyper Perception is going to be very different than one with Battle Coordination. But I am almost certainly going to be Skilled.

Crash

Khador doesn't use light jacks in war but I would guess lighter jacks are used in industry, so go with a light jack and say it is Khadoran.

Dhi

Scrapjack comes to mind as an industry light warjack!

The core benefit of Intellectual benefits a whole party once and has no more effect if there are additional Intellectuals, so I'll choose something else if that archetype is wanted.

TheGlyphstone

According to KNG, Khador doesn't make homegrown light laborjacks either - the materials are too precious to waste on something that's not really durable, so all their resources go to heavy patterns. I was hoping to pick up an imported Ordic Seafarer, but even the Forager Light 'Jack is a Cygnaran manufacture design.

For comparison, the Laika Heavy is only 450CG over the Forager Light, but if I do get a light, the Seafarer beats out the Forager in pretty much every category - also, Khador buying laborjacks from Ord is a million times more likely than buying them from Cygnar.

Quote from: Dhi on January 04, 2015, 12:07:20 AM
Scrapjack comes to mind as an industry light warjack!

The core benefit of Intellectual benefits a whole party once and has no more effect if there are additional Intellectuals, so I'll choose something else if that archetype is wanted.
Okay, you have a point there. I'm definitely not going to be intellectual though.

Crash

Go with a seafarer.  Ordic makes much more sense.

Khador the government doesn't make them but the merchant class would have need of a light non- military jack I am sure and they have a boat load of money is more my point.  I find it hard to believe they are no light war jacks made by and for Khadorans, though they are likely still specialized equipment.

Crash

Also remember that you all do care in your own way about the town. That is important, so build it into your character in some way.  Nynsk isn't huge and most people will know or know of each others.  You will all need to come up with ways to connect your backgrounds.  Ultimately you have some hero in you regardless of how deep it might be buried at first.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Crash on January 04, 2015, 12:28:18 AM
Go with a seafarer.  Ordic makes much more sense.

Khador the government doesn't make them but the merchant class would have need of a light non- military jack I am sure and they have a boat load of money is more my point.  I find it hard to believe they are no light war jacks made by and for Khadorans, though they are likely still specialized equipment.

They use Man-o-War Armor for everything that most people use Light Warjacks for. It's the material for cortexes, specifically, that are so much harder to get - so when they have any cortex at all, they put it in a heavy 'Jack because the chassis is much more durable - even the merchant classes stick to that, because it's smart. If something doesn't need a Heavy, they throw power armor at the problem instead, since that is a light warjack with a replaceable human brain inside instead of a valuable cortex - what I find hard to believe is the lack of a 'civilian' model Man-o-War suit to fill that niche for when they don't want to use imported Light laborjacks.

Tackyhillbilly

Race: Skirov
Faith: Menite
Archetype: Skilled
Careers: Bounty Hunter/Highwayman
Connections: Nynsk City Guard, Criminals

Damage Capacity
Physique: 5
Agility: 4
Intellect: 3
Power Field:

Feat Points: 3

Appearance:
Height: 5'11
Weight: 150
Hair Color: Dark Black
Eye Color: Green

Personality: Daumantas is a good natured young man. From his perspective, life has treated him well. He works a job that gives him a steady paycheck, and won't put him in early grave... at least not one that involves him gasping for breath as his lungs fail him. His job is largely safe, with a few spices of danger when a criminal needs to be hunted down, keeping things interesting. He is nominally a Menite, but in truth, he doesn't believe with the full hearted means of a true zealot. He values the traditions of the Menite faith as traditions, little more. Menoth exists of course. He knows that a Menite Priest can do miracles. But so can a Morrowan Priest, the followers of the Devourer Wurm, or a Rhulic Priest of the Great Fathers. Sorting out what the proper course, who deserves his belief is beyond a simple messenger. Daumantas does as his family has always done, because it is easier. At the end of the day, Daumantas does what he is order to, and when given discretion, what he thinks is right for Nynsk, Khador, and the World at large. Life isn't terribly complex for him. He picks up messages, packages, and other such things, and carries them. He hunts criminals. There are few moral quandaries in his life. He does his duty, and generally enjoys it.

STATS

PHY: 5
  • SPD: 6
  • STR: 5

AGI: 4
  • PRW: 5
  • POI: 5

INT: 3
  • ARC: -
  • PER: 3

WILLPOWER (PHY + INT): 8
DEFENCE (SPD+AGL+PER+Race Mod+Equip Mod): 13
ARM (PSY+Shield+Other): 11
INITIATIVE (SPD+ PRW+PER+Equip Mod+Other): 14
COMMAND RANGE (INT+Command+Ability Mods): 3

SKILLS

Hand Weapon 2, Pistols 2, Animal Handling 1, Detection 2, Intimidation 2, Riding 1, Rope Use 1, Tracking 1

BENEFITS & ABILITIES

Ambidextrous, Binding, Takedown

WEAPONS

Ranged
Repeating Pistol, 48/240, 7, 10

Melee
Horseman's Axe, 7, 8 (10 While Mounted)

EQUIPMENT

2 Ammo Wheels, Mask, Riding Horse, Tack, Custom Battle Armor, 1 Days Military Rations

Background: Daumantas is the second son of Dovydas Ivanov. Daumantas is the second cousin to those that currently run the Smithy. His father worked at the mines, like most without wealth enough to find some other employment. He passed away at 40, his lungs giving out on him. Daumantas was 14 at the time. He was with his father when he died. He remembers his father's last words keenly. "Don't give your life to the damn mines." Daumantas has lived by that. Unlike his brother who followed his father's path, Daumantas found another way. Daumantas spent his tour of duty learning skills that would serve him well back home. He took up work as courier, running messages back and forth between outlying garrisons and command, and was fairly good at it. When his tour of duty was up, Daumantas headed home, without ever seeing the front. He found the old postman employed by the city had passed on. Daumantas was handed the job on the spot. He's a member of the Nynsk city guard, whatever that means. He works as a Messenger most of the time, carrying letters from outlying homesteads to town and back. He also works as a taxman, collecting the measly few coins those who work the soil, hunt the woods, or make their money otherwise. He also works as a thieftaker, hunting down those who have escaped the cities confines. Few enough can escape him. He knows the land better then most, and with his horse, he can make far better time then a man on foot. Most people have mixed feelings, upon seeing him. While generally it forbodes a letter from far off friends or family, welcome news, when the reason for his appearance is grim, it is grim indeed. For his part, Daumantas likes his job. It keeps him in the fresh air, generally busy, and far away from the mines.

---

The Nynsk city guard is an odd batch of never made its. There is no Winter Guard post in the city, meaning the Cities forces are entirely drawn from Nynsk itself. Soldiers worth a damn are usually shipped off to the front lines, and those few who come back usually wish to never touch a weapon again. The City Guard is largely drawn from those therefore that served within Khador, seeing little, if any action. They may strut about, in burnished armor, but they aren't soldiers. Largely, they just work as taskmen for the Posadnik, doing what is needed. Most of them have other duties then just guardsman. After all, while the city might need the entire guard someday, to hold against a rebellion or attack, for the most part, a standing force would just be a drain on the coffers. They work in numerous occupations for the city, laying paving stones, collecting taxes, and all the other necessary acts of governance. It is headed by one of the few veterans, Kapitain Marijus Petru, Iagan's brother. He served in Cygnar, and unlike his brother, remains a proud Menite.

---

Also, another note. Remember, every male character has done one tour of duty in the Winter Guard. Most Childless Female character will be likewise. Military Service is compulsory in Khador.

TheGlyphstone

Okay, background draft 2 for review.

Josef was born in the seatown of Skrovenberg, to a expatriate Llaelese stevedore manager and his wife. It would have been a fine place for a child to grow up, and he would not have wanted for anything. But when he was a toddler, his mother died of a winter wasting sickness, and there was little time for his father to divert from the business for raising a child. Instead, he was sent away to the small town of Nynsk, home to his late mother's extended family, to grow and live there, and this shaped him in a drastically different fashion. The half-Khardic boy, was lithe and wiry, favoring his southern father, and thus somewhat visually distinctive in the rustic village. To make matters worse, his Khardic family, the Polzins, were the town's predominate employer, and not particularly well liked by most townsfolk for their heavy-handed business practices and arrogant demeanors. Polzin money and Polzin friends meant no one ever acted against them directly, but that didn't stop many from complaining at home, where their own children would often overhear. In turn, those children would frequently seek out Josef - he was smaller than them, he was one of the Polzins, and their daddy was mad at the Polzins.

Thus did his life progress - hunted down and beaten up for the offenses of his family, until he learned first how to hide and get away from his tormenters, and later how to single them out for painful and humiliating revenge. His only point of refuge was Seaforge Steamjacks, a favored hiding place and before long a place to visit in his free time as well. Dommat Seaforge would tolerate no bullies in his shop, and the canny Rhulic businessman recognized the inherent value in being seen by the Polzins as a friend and protector of the young Josef. He taught Josef the fundamentals of mechanikal  engineering, the principles of steamjack construction and maintenance, and in the process did what little he could to dull the boy's growing mean streak. A he reached puberty and sprouted into his height - still lanky and lean compared to the other teenagers in town, but no longer a head shorter as well. In the process, he had also grown more aware of how valuable his blood was in Nynsk, and lost any fear he might have had towards using it. His sneaking skills turned proactive, playing pranks on his former tormentors - often with a vicious undertone, and hiding behind his family name when the angry victims tried to confront him empty-handed of evidence.

It reached the point where even the Polzins started to think the boy was becoming more trouble than he was worth, and his enlistment in the Winter Guard for mandatory service was greeted with quiet sighs of relief all over the town. Josef had no intentions of dying for his country, though, as much of a patriot as he honestly was, and quickly worked out on his own initiative a clandestine transfer from line infantry to the quartermaster's department. At first a clerk, his talents for 'acquiring' valuable and much-needed items for the regiment - occasionally in tandem with a mysterious shortage of that same item in another regiment - made him a valued member of the company, and quite a few soldiers were unhappy to see him go. Others were less displeased, though, generally those who had earned his ire and been the recipient of quiet retaliation, and it was in part the recognition that angry soldiers with guns and knives were a much less appealing target for practical jokes than angry provincial villagers that prompted him to muster out when he could do so.

Josef's father had more or less disappeared from his life, never particularly favored by his wife's family to begin with, so it came as a complete surprise when Josef received notice of the old man's death. With the note came what remained of his inheritance; in the later years, business had dropped sharply, and the grand sum of the estate after settling debts and funereal taxes came to a handful of coins and one aging Seafarer-pattern light laborjack. Animal cunning, a thorough grounding in the underworld, and ownership of a steamjack made him well-suited to enlistment in the less-than-legitimate side of the Polzins' business empire, a role he took to with great relish. No one could prove that the Polzins maintained their status by illegal means, but it was 'known' all the same that Josef was their gloved hand in the shadows.

Muse

Is there a sawmill available for my family to own? 

Character Name: Vyslav Nikolavich
Race or Ethnicity: Of mixed Khard and Skirov stock, Vyslav takes after his Khardish grandfather, while his father Nikolai is more Skirov in appearance and faith. 
Sexual Orientation: Heterosexual and adventurous. 
Proposed Careers: Gun Mage/Duelist (preferred) or Gun Mage/Ranger

Concept and Background:  "Papa Nikolai never did forgive grandpa Sergei for letting uncle Yuri run off with those crazy bounty hunters. 

“When they  brought Yuri back to be buried, they said he was a hero.  They said that he'd been alone in Ekatnava when four frost trolls smashed in the gates.  They said they found him, mortally wounded, over the corpse of three of them, and the fourth was limping away without an eye. 

“Papa tried to throw grandpa's old magelock pistol into the mill pond so that none of his family could ever learn to use it again.  Sergei wasn't having any of that.  There was a huge row and they didn't talk to each other for a year. 

“I was just a little kid then, but I  knew that pistol was something special.  Uncle Yuri was a hero in his blood and bone, but that pistol made him something more than just a brave man willing to die to save a hundred women and children. 

“It made him strong enough to fight four frost trolls all by himself.  I had to know how. 

“This wasn't a very easy thing to find out with my pa on such a rampage, but get a little hard cider into some old men and they'll start to talk.  Come to find out Grandpa had been an officer in the Prince's army back in the day.  He showed up in town a long time ago with that old magelock and a nice sword.  He hunted a bunch of nasty things normal folks were too terrified to hunt.  The Petrus paid him for every head.  Grandpa gambled some, and he drank some, and he whored some, but after every bounty a few coins disappeared into Grandpa's secret store. 

“One day a thing that was all teeth and fur took a bite out of his right wrist too big for doctors or minor priests to mend,

“Grandpa shot the thing with his left.  He shot it again and again until it run off and no one's seen it since.  Then he took that secret stash of his—seven socks bulging with gold—and he bought him a saw mill.  He owns it to this day, though Pa runs the place now. 

“Long story short, I'm the youngest of three brothers and four sister.  For that matter, Yuri's bastard kid's named in Grandpa's will too.  There's not enough of that sawmill to share with me. 

“But I don't want it.  I want that old magelock.” 

Muse

Grr...  When I read that the Polzin's ran the mill, I thought that referred to the grain mill. 

Before I rewrite that Sergei owns the grain mill, is there anything else I missed? 

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 04, 2015, 01:13:39 AM
They use Man-o-War Armor for everything that most people use Light Warjacks for. It's the material for cortexes, specifically, that are so much harder to get - so when they have any cortex at all, they put it in a heavy 'Jack because the chassis is much more durable - even the merchant classes stick to that, because it's smart. If something doesn't need a Heavy, they throw power armor at the problem instead, since that is a light warjack with a replaceable human brain inside instead of a valuable cortex - what I find hard to believe is the lack of a 'civilian' model Man-o-War suit to fill that niche for when they don't want to use imported Light laborjacks.

Regardless, I am going to say there are some manufacturing of light steamjacks like a scrapjack (this is not at all wide spread) and possibly some re-purposed older model man-o-wars.

Everyone - Yes all able people do a tour as a Winter Guard or other branch of the military.  Engineering School and Greylords are also possibilities.  Not all Winter Guard have fought in the war or on the front.  About half of the Winter Guard in Duwurkyn Volozk never leave the province and are used to as police and road wardens.  Great Prince Ryczek Torinskyev sees to this. He is a highly respected Prince and has some pull based on the resources his Volozk provides the Empire.

Miroque

Crash: Im still waitting for "green light" to my application.

Crash

Quote from: Miroque on January 04, 2015, 12:12:47 PM
Crash: Im still waitting for "green light" to my application.

I haven't seen a write up on your human concept.  I need that first before I am approving anyone that has also submitted a non-human concept.

So far only Dhi, Pumpkin Seeds and Tackyhillbilly have been green lighted.

Crash

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 04, 2015, 01:34:36 AM
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Careers: Bounty Hunter/Highwayman
Connections:

Damage Capacity
Agility: 4
Intellect: 3
Power Field:

Feat Points:

Appearance:
Height: 5'11
Weight: 150
Hair Color: Dark Black
Eye Color: Green

Personality:

STATS

• STR: 5

AGI: 4
  • POI: 5

INT: 3
  • PER: 3

WILLPOWER (PHY + INT): 8
DEFENCE (SPD+AGL+PER+Race Mod+Equip Mod): 13
ARM (PSY+Shield+Other): 11
INITIATIVE (SPD+ PRW+PER+Equip Mod+Other): 14
COMMAND RANGE (INT+Command+Ability Mods): 3

SKILLS

Hand Weapon 2, Pistols 2, Animal Handling 1, Detection 2, Intimidation 2, Riding 1, Rope Use 1, Tracking 1

BENEFITS & ABILITIES

Ambidextrous, Binding, Takedown

WEAPONS

Ranged
Repeating Pistol, 48/240, 7, 10

Melee
Horseman's Axe, 7, 8 (10 While Mounted)

EQUIPMENT

2 Ammo Wheels, Mask, Riding Horse, Tack, Custom Battle Armor, 1 Days Military Rations

Background: Daumantas is the second son of Dovydas Ivanov. Daumantas is the second cousin to those that currently run the Smithy. His father worked at the mines, like most without wealth enough to find some other employment. He passed away at 40, his lungs giving out on him. Daumantas was 14 at the time. He was with his father when he died. He remembers his father's last words keenly. "Don't give your life to the damn mines." Daumantas has lived by that. Unlike his brother who followed his father's path, Daumantas found another way. Daumantas spent his tour of duty learning skills that would serve him well back home. He took up work as courier, running messages back and forth between outlying garrisons and command, and was fairly good at it. When his tour of duty was up, Daumantas headed home, without ever seeing the front. He found the old postman employed by the city had passed on. Daumantas was handed the job on the spot. He's a member of the Nynsk city guard, whatever that means. He works as a Messenger most of the time, carrying letters from outlying homesteads to town and back. He also works as a taxman, collecting the measly few coins those who work the soil, hunt the woods, or make their money otherwise. He also works as a thieftaker, hunting down those who have escaped the cities confines. Few enough can escape him. He knows the land better then most, and with his horse, he can make far better time then a man on foot. Most people have mixed feelings, upon seeing him. While generally it forbodes a letter from far off friends or family, welcome news, when the reason for his appearance is grim, it is grim indeed. For his part, Daumantas likes his job. It keeps him in the fresh air, generally busy, and far away from the mines.

---

The Nynsk city guard is an odd batch of never made its. There is no Winter Guard post in the city, meaning the Cities forces are entirely drawn from Nynsk itself. Soldiers worth a damn are usually shipped off to the front lines, and those few who come back usually wish to never touch a weapon again. The City Guard is largely drawn from those therefore that served within Khador, seeing little, if any action. They may strut about, in burnished armor, but they aren't soldiers. Largely, they just work as taskmen for the Posadnik, doing what is needed. Most of them have other duties then just guardsman. After all, while the city might need the entire guard someday, to hold against a rebellion or attack, for the most part, a standing force would just be a drain on the coffers. They work in numerous occupations for the city, laying paving stones, collecting taxes, and all the other necessary acts of governance. It is headed by one of the few veterans, Kapitain Marijus Petru, Iagan's brother. He served in Cygnar, and unlike his brother, remains a proud Menite.

---

Also, another note. Remember, every male character has done one tour of duty in the Winter Guard. Most Childless Female character will be likewise. Military Service is compulsory in Khador.

Tacky - Looks good.  You need to note your initial career connections, write up the personality section and put down the starting Feat Points which are 3.

Miroque

right. I will work on that, after I get off from work.

Crash

Quote from: Muse on January 04, 2015, 06:20:47 AM
  Grr...  When I read that the Polzin's ran the mill, I thought that referred to the grain mill. 

Before I rewrite that Sergei owns the grain mill, is there anything else I missed?

There could be some crop production in the valley hills nearby.  A small grain mill should be okay. 

Nynsk is located between the foothills (little of them there are) of the Shards Mountain Range and the Rimeshaw forest along a tributary of the Neves River.

Quote from: Miroque on January 04, 2015, 12:32:28 PM
right. I will work on that, after I get off from work.

Sounds good.

Tackyhillbilly

Updated my sheet as per instructions. Apologies for missing those.

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 04, 2015, 02:51:37 AM

Okay, background draft 2 for review.

Josef was born in the seatown of Skrovenberg, to a expatriate Llaelese stevedore manager and his wife. It would have been a fine place for a child to grow up, and he would not have wanted for anything. But when he was a toddler, his mother died of a winter wasting sickness, and there was little time for his father to divert from the business for raising a child. Instead, he was sent away to the small town of Nynsk, home to his late mother's extended family, to grow and live there, and this shaped him in a drastically different fashion. The half-Khardic boy, was lithe and wiry, favoring his southern father, and thus somewhat visually distinctive in the rustic village. To make matters worse, his Khardic family, the Polzins, were the town's predominate employer, and not particularly well liked by most townsfolk for their heavy-handed business practices and arrogant demeanors. Polzin money and Polzin friends meant no one ever acted against them directly, but that didn't stop many from complaining at home, where their own children would often overhear. In turn, those children would frequently seek out Josef - he was smaller than them, he was one of the Polzins, and their daddy was mad at the Polzins.

Thus did his life progress - hunted down and beaten up for the offenses of his family, until he learned first how to hide and get away from his tormenters, and later how to single them out for painful and humiliating revenge. His only point of refuge was Seaforge Steamjacks, a favored hiding place and before long a place to visit in his free time as well. Dommat Seaforge would tolerate no bullies in his shop, and the canny Rhulic businessman recognized the inherent value in being seen by the Polzins as a friend and protector of the young Josef. He taught Josef the fundamentals of mechanikal  engineering, the principles of steamjack construction and maintenance, and in the process did what little he could to dull the boy's growing mean streak. A he reached puberty and sprouted into his height - still lanky and lean compared to the other teenagers in town, but no longer a head shorter as well. In the process, he had also grown more aware of how valuable his blood was in Nynsk, and lost any fear he might have had towards using it. His sneaking skills turned proactive, playing pranks on his former tormentors - often with a vicious undertone, and hiding behind his family name when the angry victims tried to confront him empty-handed of evidence.

It reached the point where even the Polzins started to think the boy was becoming more trouble than he was worth, and his enlistment in the Winter Guard for mandatory service was greeted with quiet sighs of relief all over the town. Josef had no intentions of dying for his country, though, as much of a patriot as he honestly was, and quickly worked out on his own initiative a clandestine transfer from line infantry to the quartermaster's department. At first a clerk, his talents for 'acquiring' valuable and much-needed items for the regiment - occasionally in tandem with a mysterious shortage of that same item in another regiment - made him a valued member of the company, and quite a few soldiers were unhappy to see him go. Others were less displeased, though, generally those who had earned his ire and been the recipient of quiet retaliation, and it was in part the recognition that angry soldiers with guns and knives were a much less appealing target for practical jokes than angry provincial villagers that prompted him to muster out when he could do so.

Josef's father had more or less disappeared from his life, never particularly favored by his wife's family to begin with, so it came as a complete surprise when Josef received notice of the old man's death. With the note came what remained of his inheritance; in the later years, business had dropped sharply, and the grand sum of the estate after settling debts and funereal taxes came to a handful of coins and one aging Seafarer-pattern light laborjack. Animal cunning, a thorough grounding in the underworld, and ownership of a steamjack made him well-suited to enlistment in the less-than-legitimate side of the Polzins' business empire, a role he took to with great relish. No one could prove that the Polzins maintained their status by illegal means, but it was 'known' all the same that Josef was their gloved hand in the shadows.

Mostly looks good to me.  One thing though.  The Polzin's aren't hated in town.  They have made some enemies of course with their tactics, but they aren't reviled. There would be workers that aren't happy with some working conditions, but they try to treat their own workers well.

Crash

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 04, 2015, 01:41:49 PM
Updated my sheet as per instructions. Apologies for missing those.

No worries.  I created an Approved Characters thread and put a link into the first post of this thread.

All - I have created an OOC thread and once you have an approved character you can start posting there and start thinking of ways you have encountered and interacted with the other approved characters.

Dhi - I would to ahead and take intellectual.  I think yours is the only character being proposed that would be using it. 

I will probably put an NPC in the group that is either gifted or mighty depending on what the group really thinks is needed.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Crash on January 04, 2015, 01:59:58 PM
Mostly looks good to me.  One thing though.  The Polzin's aren't hated in town.  They have made some enemies of course with their tactics, but they aren't reviled. There would be workers that aren't happy with some working conditions, but they try to treat their own workers well.
'
Yeah, I tried to get that across. They're not hated, but they are resented and somewhat disliked by many - they only employ half the town, after all. But children aren't complicated, and take things a lot more directly and seriously than adults and their nuances. The half-hearted griping of a father over dinner becomes a terrible insult to family honor that his son decides needs to be avenged.

As for archetypes, I don't think we need an NPC at all just to cover the bases. Intellectual is the only one with a group-area effect, the others are purely personal. With all of us being Skilled or Intellectual, we can get creative enough to cover the lack of a spellcaster, and we'll have at least one, possibly two laborjacks along to clobber stuff in place of a Mighty PC.

EDIT: Should I progress to mechanics, then?

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 04, 2015, 02:30:53 PM
'
As for archetypes, I don't think we need an NPC at all just to cover the bases.

Need no, but I may want to. :)

Crash

Quote from: Muse on January 04, 2015, 05:28:10 AM
Is there a sawmill available for my family to own? 

Race or Ethnicity: Of mixed Khard and Skirov stock, Vyslav takes after his Khardish grandfather, while his father Nikolai is more Skirov in appearance and faith. 
Proposed Careers: Gun Mage/Duelist (preferred) or Gun Mage/Ranger

Concept and Background:  "Papa Nikolai never did forgive grandpa Sergei for letting uncle Yuri run off with those crazy bounty hunters. 

“When they  brought Yuri back to be buried, they said he was a hero.  They said that he'd been alone in Ekatnava when four frost trolls smashed in the gates.  They said they found him, mortally wounded, over the corpse of three of them, and the fourth was limping away without an eye. 

“Papa tried to throw grandpa's old magelock pistol into the mill pond so that none of his family could ever learn to use it again.  Sergei wasn't having any of that.  There was a huge row and they didn't talk to each other for a year. 

“I was just a little kid then, but I  knew that pistol was something special.  Uncle Yuri was a hero in his blood and bone, but that pistol made him something more than just a brave man willing to die to save a hundred women and children. 

“It made him strong enough to fight four frost trolls all by himself.  I had to know how. 

“This wasn't a very easy thing to find out with my pa on such a rampage, but get a little hard cider into some old men and they'll start to talk.  Come to find out Grandpa had been an officer in the Prince's army back in the day.  He showed up in town a long time ago with that old magelock and a nice sword.  He hunted a bunch of nasty things normal folks were too terrified to hunt.  The Petrus paid him for every head.  Grandpa gambled some, and he drank some, and he whored some, but after every bounty a few coins disappeared into Grandpa's secret store. 

“One day a thing that was all teeth and fur took a bite out of his right wrist too big for doctors or minor priests to mend,

“Grandpa shot the thing with his left.  He shot it again and again until it run off and no one's seen it since.  Then he took that secret stash of his—seven socks bulging with gold—and he bought him a saw mill.  He owns it to this day, though Pa runs the place now. 

“Long story short, I'm the youngest of three brothers and four sister.  For that matter, Yuri's bastard kid's named in Grandpa's will too.  There's not enough of that sawmill to share with me. 

He looks pretty good.

Miroque, Glyphstone and Muse - I am going to wait for Miroque to give me her other concept and then I will make a decision on final characters for the game.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Crash on January 04, 2015, 03:53:24 PM
Need no, but I may want to. :)

If you have to include a DMPC, go with Mighty. Thug muscle is far less likely to result in the classical DMPC problems than a super-kewl-awesome-magician.

3 approved, 3 prospective - how many total do you plan on? Not that I'm planning on assassinating my competitors or anything.

Crash

My original plan was 4-5 players. 

If I made a sorcerer/ess it would not be min/maxed and probably have an odd second career, because....well I like making odd combos work, but ultimately if I did an NPC it would be with input from player characters.  Mighty is certainly in play.  I actually like Mighty which I notice a lot of players do not.

Tackyhillbilly

Mighty is Fantastic, imo. But other then Gifted, which is popular for different reasons, Mighty is the most focused archetype. Skilled and Intellectual are good for a lot of builds. Mighty is pretty much just for Heavy Meleers.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: Tackyhillbilly on January 04, 2015, 04:25:38 PM
Mighty is Fantastic, imo. But other then Gifted, which is popular for different reasons, Mighty is the most focused archetype. Skilled and Intellectual are good for a lot of builds. Mighty is pretty much just for Heavy Meleers.

Pretty much. Gifted, Skilled, and Intellectual all have flexibility in the sort of character/role they can be put to, but Mighty just hits stuff in melee. Hits that stuff real good, but if you're not hitting stuff in melee, you might as well have no archetype at all. - Gifted (with spells) and Skilled can also hit stuff in melee, but Mighty cannot replicate their niches in return.

Dhi

Character Name: Valentine Karskaja
Sex: Female
Sexual Orientation: Lesbian
Archetype: Intellectual
Careers: Investigator/Alchemist
Connections: --

Damage Capacity
Agility: 3
Intellect: 5
Power Field:

Appearance:
Height: 5'7"
Weight: 147
Hair Color: Chemically bleached blonde
Eye Color: Toxic black-ringed hazel

She cuts a trim, tightly contained island in a world she cannot control, a sea of the unknown which infuriates and compels her. Back from eyes patterned after poisonous flowers, she draws her vainly bleached and styled hair sharply away from her alchemical work, and when it isn't billowing like a feather boa about her shoulders, it's bound in a runner's ponytail. Chemical resin and ozone cling to the striking red of her protective leather like a midday perfume. A gentleman's cane aids her balance to crouch down in the firm Rimeshaws snow and unearth what has long lay buried. She is cat-like more than muscular, in build, in motion, in her fierce independence. But genius has many quirks, some of them physical, some of them nervous, and not every movement is graceful nor intentional.

Personality: Magic is not a thing of beauty - that is a fairy tale for little girls. Magic is a wild, voracious, man-eating beast. From the stony wood of the Rimeshaws Papa Karskaja fashioned many resolute and breathtaking things which would endure the years and its culling winters, but Valentine was his finest work. With the mettle to brave the strange and mysterious, the acuity to sort truth from fiction, and the cunning to protect her own, she will thrust a scholar's hand into the beating heart of the occult and tear free that which is worthy, for the glory of the Khadoran Empire.

STATS

• SPD:  6
  • STR:  4

AGI: 3
  • POI: 4

INT: 5
  • PER: 4

WILLPOWER (PHY + INT): 10
DEFENCE (SPD+AGL+PER+Race Mod+Equip Mod): 12
ARM (PSY+Shield+Other): 10
+3 vs blast, corrosion, and fire; +4 vs cold
INITIATIVE (SPD+ PRW+PER+Equip Mod+Other): 15
COMMAND RANGE (INT+Command+Ability Mods): 5

SKILLS

Hand Weapon (Prw) 2
Pistol (Poi) 1
Thrown Weapon (Prw) 1

Alchemy (Int) 1
Detection (Per) 1
Forensic Science (Int) 1
Interrogation (Social) 1
Law (Int) 1
Medicine (Int) 2
Sneak (Agi) 1

BENEFITS & ABILITIES

Astute
Genius
Grenadier
Hyper Perception
Language (Khador, Cygnaran/Sulese, Khurzic)
Poison Resistance

WEAPONS

Ranged
Name    RNG    RAT    POW    AoE   
Pistol, repeating48 / 240711
Bola48 / --55
Acid grenade    48 / --713 + Corrosion    3
Knockout grenade48 / --7(Unconscious)    3
Fear grenade48 / --7Terror (14)    5

Melee
Name    MAT    P+S   
Sword cane    87

EQUIPMENT

39 gc
Greatcoat
Alchemist's leather
Gas mask
Traveling alchemist's kit
Sword cane
Bola
Pistol, repeating
Grenadier's bandolier
Alchemical grenade, acid bomb (2)
Alchemical grenade, ashes of Urcaen
Alchemical grenade, fear gas
Alchemical grenade, knockout bomb
Alchemical ingredient, crystal alchemical waste (7)
Alchemical ingredient, liquid alchemical waste (5)
Alchemical ingredient, mineral acid (5)
Alchemical ingredient, mineral crystal (2)
Alchemical ingredient, organic acid

Background: She had been a fresh-faced girl, still finding her shape and with a rifle slung across her back, when her unit was stationed in the Scarsfell. It was a quiet duty, made for clear-eyed fledgeling girls and rich boys who oughtn't see combat. Without a clear idea of her identity beyond pretty girl and only an inkling that the future held no satisfaction, she crested the alloyed spine of a decommissioned colossal and felt the pride of her heritage travel up her willowy legs. Birch trees had grown through the grill mask of the silenced behemoth, its motile parts had all been fused shut with welding torches, its soul stolen by the Fraternal Order of Wizardry, and its innards reeked a pall of liquor, but her mind was opened to new vistas. That same summer, one of her brothers had been bit by a pig back in Nynsk, and that anecdote was the story which defined that year for the rest of the Karskaja family.

Valentine had returned to that place one last time at the end of her tour to share a wool blanket, thirty-two candles, and a night of stories with a Khard sous-chef from Cherov-on-Dron. When the dim stars and the low-burning candles had framed them as the center of the universe, her company had asked her why such an irreproachable workhorse as the alloyed hull beneath their bodies had been allowed to be betrayed, and why Khador had allowed itself to fall so far. No answer could satisfy. In the morning fog she had scrounged the fused wreck for a single piece of memento, and come away with only a small tooth of metal which would later become the clasp of the book which would hold all her discoveries.

Over a butcher block table in a tanner's shop in Nynsk she had cut open her ninth bog toad to harvest its single small store of acid, and with the chemical smells of formaldehyde, bile and animal decay all competing to disgust, all she could think about were the old stories of the Old Witch and the songs she'd croak as she deposited vile ingredients into her cook-pot. So many stories came back to her in the delirium of the fumes. A single small flask held her first successful alchemical acid, and with perfectly neat penmanship she recorded her method in a leatherbound tome.

The old master of rites had enlisted her help ridding the Rimeshaws of a restless ghost. Though she believed the old priest to be merely testing her faith, still she went into the unknown with bated breath, a brand new color of mystery cast over the woods of her birth. At her own considerable expense she had brewed ashes of Urcaen, just in case the tales were real. Even though they had come away empty-handed, the investment of the ashes had been worth the price for all she'd learned from the venerable sage. That winter he had passed on, and Valentine spoke at his funeral. It was the first time she was something other than a Karskaja.

The new Sul-Menite master of rites had taken her aside after Father Caragiale's service and asked her if she were interested in reopening the old unsolved inquiries of the church. The answer, unequivocally, was yes.

Tackyhillbilly

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 04, 2015, 04:28:52 PM
Pretty much. Gifted, Skilled, and Intellectual all have flexibility in the sort of character/role they can be put to, but Mighty just hits stuff in melee. Hits that stuff real good, but if you're not hitting stuff in melee, you might as well have no archetype at all. - Gifted (with spells) and Skilled can also hit stuff in melee, but Mighty cannot replicate their niches in return.

Skilled can hit stuff in melee really good. Once Daumantas gets his first benefit, it will be Two Weapon Fighting, at which point he can bust out 4 Attacks a round. Skilled characters in melee are the death of lightly armored individuals. What Mighty does really well is hit something really, really hard. People with high ARM are their best targets.

Crash

Dhi - Alchemist is one of my favorite careers. :)

TheGlyphstone

Should I kill time while we're waiting for Miroque by elaborating more on Josef's personality? He's definitely far more of a bastard than I had originally visualized him, but he's not meant to be as much of a sadist/sociopath as his background paints him as. Just an angry, bitter man who took a lot of undeserved abuse as a child, and never really learned restraint for when he became the one with the power instead. He's rather Machievellan in the literal sense, believing that it's better to be loved than feared, but better to be feared than hated, and he's settled for feared since he doesn't think anyone in Nynsk will ever love him. There's definitely a part of him inside that dreams of saving the town and being hailed as a hero forever, earning a place for himself instead of just as a Polzin.

Crash

Please do!

And of you have any other ideas for interesting people or places in town or near town feel free to post those too!

TheGlyphstone

Will do, then. I'll re-detail Creeper 2.0 as well.

Does Dommat Seaforge have his family with him? I could flesh them out a bit, what with little Josef having spent so much time hanging around the Seaforge.

Dhi

I'm re-reading the Khador section of KNG this evening before I get started on the finer points of Valentine. I also like alchemy and the amount of detail that goes into the process; it isn't just "pay gold, get item." That I have a gas mask fetish might also factor into my decision.

There are some alchemical items in Urban Adventure that're kind of pulp noir and might fit the investigator feel I'm going for. Are those items okay, or should we stick purely to the core book?

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 04, 2015, 05:26:11 PM
Will do, then. I'll re-detail Creeper 2.0 as well.

Does Dommat Seaforge have his family with him? I could flesh them out a bit, what with little Josef having spent so much time hanging around the Seaforge.

PM Tackyhillbilly on the Seaforges.  Dommat was originally his creation.

Quote from: Dhi on January 04, 2015, 05:30:39 PM
I'm re-reading the Khador section of KNG this evening before I get started on the finer points of Valentine. I also like alchemy and the amount of detail that goes into the process; it isn't just "pay gold, get item." That I have a gas mask fetish might also factor into my decision.

There are some alchemical items in Urban Adventure that're kind of pulp noir and might fit the investigator feel I'm going for. Are those items okay, or should we stick purely to the core book?

I forgot about the gas mask. You can certainly use the alchemical items from Urban Adventure.  It think there were some Full Metal Friday's PDF's from Private Press that deal with alchemy too.  Those would also be usable.

Tackyhillbilly

(I kind of assumed all official content was open... though to be fair I ended up with a character entirely built from core.)

Crash

I am brushing up on KNG too.  Remember that Nynsk is a small industrial town in an out of the way province that has a lot of traditions that are from the old Skirov and Kossite people.   Not everything may apply as a strict rule.  Khador's Great Princes are given a lot of autonomy to rule how they want and the Great Prince of the Duwurkyn Volozk is very old school.

KNG mostly focuses on Military so a lot of it does not apply, but there are some things that will work, so just ask if you have a question on what does and does not work.

<--- Really wants the Hordes book.  I will absolutely run that when it comes out. Trollbloods for the Win!!!!!!

TheGlyphstone

I built out of Core because that was the only book I had available, though I managed to get a look at KNG for the Seafarer laborjack.

Personally, I just want them to hurry up and write a book with Cryx material in it. For Toruk.

Crash

Unfortunately the last book to be made.

Tackyhillbilly

<----------- Still wishes there was more stuff on Rhul... or a Rhul Faction in the Tabletop. I mean, they have a dude literally named General Awesome (Ossum). How can you beat that? Also, an insane Explosion Maniac who has been entrusted with a command position.

Crash

I think Cryx, Rhul, Scythia and Skorne were originally scheduled in book 4.

TheGlyphstone

Character Name: Josef Polzin Zavor
Race or Ethnicity: Human Male (Khardic)
Careers: Thief/Field Mechanik
Connections: --

Damage Capacity
Agility: 5
Intellect: 4
Power Field:

Appearance:
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 180 lbs
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Black

STATS

• STR: 4

AGI: 5
  • PRW: 4
  • POI: 4

INT: 4
  • PER: 4

WILLPOWER (PHY + INT): 9
DEFENCE (SPD+AGL+PER+Race Mod+Equip Mod): 14
ARM (PSY+Shield+Other): 10
INITIATIVE (SPD+ PRW+PER+Equip Mod+Other): 10
COMMAND RANGE (INT+Command+Ability Mods): 5

SKILLS

Military:
(Prowess) Hand Weapon 1
(Poise) Pistol 1

Occupational:
(Social) Bribery 1
(Social) Command 1
(Int) Craft (Metalworking) 1
(Social) Deception 1
(Agility) Escape Artist 1
(Agility) Lock Picking 2
(Int) Mechanikal Engineering 1
(Agility) Pickpocket  2
(Agility) Sneak 1
(Perception) Streetwise 1

BENEFITS & ABILITIES

(Archetype) Deft: Boosted AGI rolls
(Career) 'Jack Marshal
(Career) Bodge
(Career) Conniver
(Career) Dodger
(Career) Hit The Deck!

WEAPONS

Ranged - Repeating Pistol: RAT 5, POW 10, Range 48/240
Melee - Sword: MAT 5, P+S 7
Melee - 'Jack Wrench: MAT 3, P+S 7

EQUIPMENT

8gc
Armored Great Coat
'Jack Wrench
Mechanik's Tool Kit
Sword
Thieves' Tools

Background

Personality

Despite all of his misfortunes, though, Josef isn't an entirely bad person. He's angry and bitter, a man who grew up enduring taunts and abuse from nearly everyone he would have otherwise considered a playmate and confidant with only a tiny handful of exceptions. The name of his family brought him most of that abuse, at the same time that it protected him from the worst excesses, so he also grew up wrestling with simultaneous drives of deep loyalty and seething resentment towards his Polzin heritage. At his simplest, though, he embodies the philosophical attitude that while it is better to be loved than feared, it is better to be feared than hated - and with love closed off to him from anyone in Nynsk as far as he believes, he'll settle for fear. But there's still a part of him, deep inside, that hungers for that unattainable love, dreams of saving the town or even the entire Empire and being hailed as a great hero by all.

Being below average in physical prowess for a Khadoran, he prefers games of the mind to tests of strength, so his pranks and practical jokes are, while nasty and often humiliating, designed in such a way to avoid more than minor physical injury whenever possible. In general, physical violence is a route of last resort for him after psychological attacks have failed, and he's restrained in when he unleashes either. It takes actively crossing him in something he cares about to earn his ire, and he is remarkably quick to forgive - this time - once he's extracted a suitable degree of revenge. On the other hand, for family members and the rare few people he considers friends he will fight his way through the gates of Urcaen and back to help them. He doesn't beat on his whores. He's not in any danger of converting to Wurm worship. He's just a half-breed with a pureblood Khadoran's cold heart, who learned the value of power from the side of the fist and never learned mercy once he was the one in power instead.

Creeper

Zavor Loading had owned several steamjacks at its peak, but by the time Josef inherited the remains of the business, there was only one, a rather battered Ordic Seafarer. At first, he set about fixing up the machine as a hobby in his spare time, but after he was finished, the value of an utterly loyal and unquestioning 3-ton bodyguard to his job as the Polzin's primary enforcer was rather significant. Many people who would get aggressive or threatening when confronted with an overdue debt or pressure to make a more favorable trade deal find themselves to be far more reasonable if a nine-foot-tall steamjack is glaring at them over Josef's shoulders. Its very presence has saved Josef from the need to get violent on multiple occasions, a fact he is quietly and privately grateful for.

Being used in this fashion, though, has had a mildly alarming effect on the steamjack's simplistic and impressionable cortex. Josef can be mean, but he's not an outright sadist. If Creeper was a man, however, 'sadistic' would be a rather generous term for its personality. It seems to take a positive glee in menacing people - leaning in just a bit too close, puffing clouds of hot steam, giving painful shrieking whistles, and pounding a massive fist into its open palm. The last, a behavior directly learned from Josef, worries even him to some degree, and if it wasn't for the expense of replacing a cortex, he would have done so already. When actually called to fight, it aims for disabling strikes rather than killing blows, and painful or crippling hits over more merciful ones (though few people can consider being hit anywhere by a steamjack to be 'merciful'). Even its gait is somewhat ominous - designed for the unstable surface of a oceangoing ship, on land it seems to stalk everywhere as if hunting prey only it can see.

PHY: 8
  • STR: 8

AGI: 5
  • POI: 3

INT: 1
  • PER: 1

INITIATIVE: 12
DEFENSE: 12
ARMOR: 15

DAMAGE GRID:

OOOO
OOOOOO
OLOORO
LLMCRR
MMCC

ATTACKS:
Right - Gaff (MAT 5, P+S 12, Reach)
Left - 'Jack Axe (MAT 5, P+S 11)
Right/Left - Open Fist (MAT 5, P+S 10)

Miroque

Name: Ivania Romanova
Race: Strikov/Khards
Class: Aristocrat/Investigator
Sexual Orientation: Streight, but virgin

Description: 5´5 and slim body, Ivania portrays an icy princess. Her skin is very pale, as she has inherited that from her mother accompanied with her flaming red hair. She keeps her wardrobe in immaculate shape and keeps good care of her looks. Her reputation preceeds her, and most people consider her cold and aloof for her reputation.

Background: Ivania is daughter of Posadnik Iagan Petru and his first crush, Khards woman called Jekaterina. They had an fast affair when Petru served in capital. Ivanias birth was kept form her father for few years, but when her mother died to feever, her mothers family contacted Petru and arraged him to take her. First years were akward, but after the initial shock, Ivania was accepted as daughter, even she would never have claim to Petru family fortune.

Growing up in Nynsk, Ivania learned to become quite an handful. She used her name to open doors and made sure if she was crossed, there would be hell to pay. That and her icy demeanor quickly gathered her an reputation of an icy brat bitch. Not that anyone was foolish enought to say it to her face. She glided throu the social circles as butterfly, learning to pry people. Her keen intellect made sure of that.

She did not have many friends when she grew up, but she made her business to gather flunkies and to know how's who in the town.

TheGlyphstone

Miroque

*pulls out her anti-reaper gun from her locker in Firefly*

Muse

Proposed Careers: Gun Mage/Duelist

“Grandpa shot the thing with his left.  He shot it again and again until it run off and no one's seen it since.  Then he took that secret stash of his—seven socks bulging with gold—and he bought him a grain mill.  He owns it to this day, though Pa runs the place now. 

“Long story short, I'm the youngest of three brothers and four sister.  For that matter, Yuri's bastard kid's named in Grandpa's will too.  There's not enough of that mill to share with me. 

I'm not sure what else to add at this point, but I'd love to provide something more.  Let me know if I can make my application more appealing or do something to add to the setting. 

Crash

Muse - What you have is fine.  As for other stuff I am still looking for people, places and businesses of interest.

All - This is my first day back at work and back at school so I will check in throughout the day and try to have an idea of final characters tonight.  I will keep everyone else up to date if a player drops.

TheGlyphstone

Crime

Thankfully for the quality of the Nynsk city guard, their opposite numbers are generally of similar quality. There is very little persistent local crime in Nynsk - the closest the town sees on a predictable basis is the Polzin family's strongarm business tactics. Nearly all the criminals are seasonal visitors - bandits, thieves, and pickpockets who follow the summer trade routes along with the traders that they prey on. The handful of competent guardsmen have their work cut out for them during the busy months, but things always quiet down when the snows start to fall and the lawbreakers head south behind their victims. Not even Nynsk lies beyond the reach of the bratyas, of course, but here their hand takes the form of the aptly-named and perpetually cranky Grim Fyodor. He is there to relay messages for and from the kayazy; but in the absence of any serious crime to organize, he spends most of his time drinking cheap liquor in the bar and privately cursing his bad luck at irritating the underboss and being assigned to what he considers a backcountry dungheap. The rest of the time, he spends drinking cheap liquor and praising his good luck at surviving the underboss's irritation.

MdG

Apologies for the late expression of interest, Crash, but are you still recruiting? If you are, I would certainly be interested in joining, though please note that I am a newcomer to the IK setting, and not quite au fait with the world / feel, though the Russian / Slavonic element intrigues me.

Crash

Thank you all for your interest.  I have chosen Muse for the final spot.  I just feel his character fits in the best with the other concepts that I have approved.  I will keep a list of everyone that was interested and if anyone drops I will see if you are still interested in the game.

I know the Hordes book will be releasing this year and I will likely be running a game with that when it is released, so this won't be the last IKRPG.  You are all welcome to continue to participate in the world building aspect of the game in the World Building forum.  You have had some wonderful ideas and again I thank you all for your interest.  I am sorry I could not take everyone.

-Crash

Crash

Those players that have been accepted.  Please post your character sheets in the OOC thread and work on them there until they are finalized and you can move them to the Approved Character Thread.  I will start to focus on getting backgrounds between characters once they start getting finalized.

RedMoon

I just want to approve of your choice of locations. KHADOR IS STRONGEST.

TheGlyphstone

In the meantime, go ahead and take my character as an NPC. He's tied into several of the town's NPCs already, and it'll make potentially integrating him into the story easier later on.

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2015, 08:07:59 PM
In the meantime, go ahead and take my character as an NPC. He's tied into several of the town's NPCs already, and it'll make potentially integrating him into the story easier later on.

Thanks Glyphstone.  I appreciate that and will certainly do so.  You are more than welcome to help develop the City still.  You have written up some great stuff.

Quote from: RedMoon on January 05, 2015, 08:05:50 PM
I just want to approve of your choice of locations. KHADOR IS STRONGEST.

I want to show a side of Khador away from the Boris and Natasha bad guy army I feel they are sometimes portrayed as.

RedMoon

Quote from: Crash on January 05, 2015, 08:17:06 PM
I want to show a side of Khador away from the Boris and Natasha bad guy army I feel they are sometimes portrayed as.

I agree. Sure, they may be a little bit expansionist, and a little aggressive, and maybe a little callous about human lives in military campaigns, but, it's hard to label them as evil when there are undead dragon cults that want to eat the souls of everyone in the world. It's all relative.

TheGlyphstone

Frankly, if anyone needs 'humanizing', its the Protectorate of Menoth. I've yet to see anything that makes them look good.

RedMoon

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2015, 08:27:47 PM
Frankly, if anyone needs 'humanizing', its the Protectorate of Menoth. I've yet to see anything that makes them look good.

Whaaat? But they're doing the work of the Lord! They're saving your soul by crucifying you and setting you on fire. It's a noble cause.

Crash

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on January 05, 2015, 08:27:47 PM

Another reason I wanted to use Khador.  I like that the Menites in Khador are not zealots.  I think that is why the Protectorate gets a bad wrap.  It is hard to make zealots seem like good guys.

Tackyhillbilly

Also, cause of the whole 'betrayed Cygnar completely' thing.

Frankly, my opinion is the only good guys of the setting who exist as an organized government are the Dwarves.

TheGlyphstone

I'm sure when their book comes out they will be revealed to have some twisted, dark secret that they keep hidden from the world.

Muse