Need help setting up a rp.

Started by OmegamanX, January 21, 2012, 05:15:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OmegamanX

I know this is kinda silly to ask but I need help setting up a rp, I know what I want to do I am just having trouble displaying it in a appealing manner, See I want to do a Japanese high school rp where everyone stays at a dorm for the school year and then they live a student life. You know studys, clubs, festivals, etc etc. But that's the main jest, anyone think they can help me set up?
“But with dogs, we do have “bad dog.” Bad dog exists. “Bad dog! Bad dog! Stole a biscuit, bad dog!” The dog is saying, “Who are you to judge me? You human beings who’ve had genocide, war against people of different creeds, colors, religions, and I stole a biscuit?! Is that a crime? People of the world!”

“Well, if you put it that way, I think you’ve got a point. Have another biscuit, sorry.”
-Eddie Izzard

Caeli

Is this going to be a group roleplay, or a one-on-one?

Also, what do you mean by "setting up"? Do you mean the layout of your posts or information threads, or do you mean finding pictures, writing descriptions of the locations, etc.?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

OmegamanX

Group and when I mean setting help I mean descriptions of the locations, names of locations, etc etc.
“But with dogs, we do have “bad dog.” Bad dog exists. “Bad dog! Bad dog! Stole a biscuit, bad dog!” The dog is saying, “Who are you to judge me? You human beings who’ve had genocide, war against people of different creeds, colors, religions, and I stole a biscuit?! Is that a crime? People of the world!”

“Well, if you put it that way, I think you’ve got a point. Have another biscuit, sorry.”
-Eddie Izzard

Caeli

Well, if you have a co-GM, you could probably ask him or her for help or suggestions.

If you don't, have you tried collaborating with your group for names? I've found that if you're apathetic or don't have a strong preference for something when it comes to names, it's nice for your group to collaborate together on locations, what is included, where things are, and so on. Ask them what kind of rooms or buildings would be useful, what names to give those places.

Another option is to look up an anime, Japanese drama, or one of those Japanese dating sims and just use the names straight from there... that, or use it as inspiration and change things just a little bit.

Descriptions, though, I feel like are something that a GM (or GMs) should be writing him- or herself. It's part of the responsibility of the position.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

OmegamanX

I see, well I understand, thanks for your time.

-Eddie Izzard

Caeli

If you don't want to write those descriptions, I would suggest asking around in the participants of your group roleplay to see if anyone would be interested in helping you to run the game, and thus to share the burden of writing descriptions for locations.

As a note, not all of the locations have to be written by you. For example, if one of your players really wants to include a theater building (as an example), you could request that they write their own description. It would not be out of the ordinary for a GM to ask that a player include some kind of description of some set length when they're requesting a location to be included as thread in the game. If there's a female dorm building, ask if any of the players playing female characters have a good idea for the building.

The GMs for a group game that I'm participating in asked for address, name of the location, pictures (optional), and a description for private threads. Since I was the one requesting the thread, I did all the legwork researching and writing up the description, including pictures, a location and address, and description. I could probably provide a blueprint / overhead layout of my location if it was asked for.

I probably went a little beyond what the average player might request, but if you're okay with your players writing descriptions for you (especially if they have a strong 'vision' for what they're imagining), I'm sure that you'd have some volunteers who could write something, which you could then edit appropriately so that all of your threads have a coherent 'feel' to them.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ