Is this the final design?

Started by Izu, July 10, 2014, 02:11:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geraint

While I appreciate the efforts to improve the site, I agree with most of what is said above.  I have a headache from just trying to navigate from page to page on the site. 

I find sites with dark or black backgrounds painful to look at and extremely difficult to read.  And should the scheme spread to the rest of the page, I would find it nearly impossible to write here at all.

Edit:  The dark blue background makes it no easier for me either.
Second Edit:  In fact, it's worse because it makes the black background display ads even more garish than they were.

King Serperior

Okay, it took some time, but now I am getting that queasy feeling that everyone else is getting.  I think I will log for a few minutes and get my equilibrium back again.

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

oceanspool

Just to add to the I-feel-queasy-too reports. The black makes the rest of the screen look funny even when I've scrolled down so it's off the page - it's making my eyes go funny D:

Dale

I'm appreciative that there have been hours of work gone into the new look but can we have a choice between the old and the new, please?. The new makes me want to adjust something because, well, it's a strain to have to look at the writing. I tried turning the thing off. I know I'm OCD for not liking changes but it isn't simply my inability to cope with a change. Oh God everythings gone black now. Black/ dark is just a strain to look at and I won't be using the Shoutbox so a toggle on/off would be very neat for those who do or don't want to see it. I miss seeing the cheery Hello Lock and seeing the cats properly too. Sorry.

Gadifriald

With IE on fullscreen with a 21 inch monitor I can scroll down to hide the top bar without running into the bottom one. Fullscreen and scrolling to hide might help some folks! But the top and bottom should really match the gentle blue and white and gray of the rest of E for eye comfort!
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Vekseid

Yikes, I haven't even gotten to fixing the tags yet : /

Is the current setup better for people?

Izu

Me personally - main content is too bright of a blue-green-cyanic (the #eff)... but I can continue whining about it all forever... sorry...

edit: but yeah, thanks a lot for removing the complete blackness...

ONs and OFFs || M/M Search || Izu's A&A
...Like reflections on the page, the world's what you create...

King Serperior

The blue is soooo much better.  Thanks, Veks   ;D

O/O's
A/A'sMonster Girl Palace
SFW Image Ideas for Scifi, Fantasy, Horror, and Steampunk Games! | My various characters, if you are curious! | I am a Rainbow Writer!
Post Rate: 1 post per game every 1-4 weeks on average  ||| I encourage any and all random PMs.

Chrystal

That's better...

Had me seriously worried for a minute though when it went REALLY wierd!

Please check out my latest A/A post.
I would rather watch a movie then have dinner than have dinner then watch a movie!

Vekseid

Quote from: Izu on July 10, 2014, 03:18:39 PM
Me personally - main content is too bright of a blue-green-cyanic (the #eff)... but I can continue whining about it all forever... sorry...

edit: but yeah, thanks a lot for removing the complete blackness...

Unfortunately the styling for the forum in general is a complete mess, as far as smf goes.

Geraint

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 03:16:02 PM

For me, not much.  I find any dark background with bright type hard to read, and the blue surrounding them makes the black background display ads  (especially the bright Mortal Combat one) even more painful to the eyes

Gadifriald

Lightening the background for the banners would be good! The black background makes them hard to read.
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Kye

I'm having the same issue as Geraint. It's the dark background and light text.

Mithlomwen

Quote from: Kyrsa on July 10, 2014, 03:26:26 PM
I'm having the same issue as Geraint. It's the dark background and light text.

Same for me. 

It's hard for my eyes to adjust.  Reading the dark colors makes it hard to look down and read the lighter colors of the main forum.  It makes me dizzy, and I can already feel a headache coming on from my eyes trying to adjust to the stark difference in colors.
Baby, it's all I know,
that your half of the flesh and blood that makes me whole...

mia h

The change of layout is a bit jarring and might take some getting used to. When SB is closed it feels in the way, but when it's open it takes up so much real estate that you can't see anything of the thread, so the choice is use SB or the thread you can't use both. And if you can't use the thread and SB together do they really belong on the same page?
Of course you could just ignore all that, leave it a few a days and I probably won't even notice SB is there anymore  ;D
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

BeckyAnnn

Quote from: Vekseid on July 10, 2014, 03:16:02 PM

Marginally

Beguile's Mistress

It's still like walking from a dark room into light or from a room with lights into the dark.  It takes too much time for the eyes to adjust and getting hit in the face with it every time you refresh or open a tab is jarring.  The top is just not esthetically pleasing at all.  The format including the SB was so much better as it unified the pages rather than disrupting them.

And now that everyone is experimenting with their own colored fonts and using bold lettering it's even worse.

Bloodied Porcelain

My suggestion honestly, would be to just add a tab at the top that leads to the full page shoutbox, rather than putting it in the header of the site itself. That way nothing huge in the layout needs to be messed with and the nice, streamlined set up people are used to can stay. There's less chance of distraction for those of us with ADD who will constantly be glancing up and wondering what people are saying when we should be reading/writing for our games, etc.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Aislinn

I do appreciate the effort that is going into returning the shoutbox feature to the site even though I'm not a user of it.

There are some people that have physical issues to where they are very sensitive to visual stimuli. "Getting used to it" isn't in the cards for members like this, including me. I have every confidence that Veks is working really hard to make sure all of these concerns are addressed.  ;D

"I am the one thing in life I can control
I am inimitable I am an original
I'm not falling behind or running late
I'm not standing still,
I am lying in wait.”

RainThunderwolf

Quote from: GothicFires on July 10, 2014, 02:28:46 PM
I don't like the fact that i can't close the shoutbox. I'm not interested in it, will never have a need for it. The flow of the design is jarring.

Edited:

I tried scrolling down to hide most of this horror and click on a link to show new replies and the new page scrolls back up so it takes up half my screen again. That's just for a list of replies. I tested it on threads and I it takes up half the screen there too. I think saying that I hate it would be an understatement. The design shouldn't make the users have to do more work.

+ 1
Apologies and Absences
last update 10/24/'14

Bloodied Porcelain

Also... it took a little bit longer for me to start feeling queasy this time, but it still happened. =/
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Vekseid

Shift+reload?

Won't deny that the css of this place is a mess.

oceanspool

Still not a fan overall, but thanks so much for getting rid of the black! My eyes feel better already and it's much less jarring.

Having said that, would it be possible to have an option to customise it and change back to the old setting? I find the massive block of colour at the top very distracting, and the old setting worked very well in that it didn't draw attention and was purely functional.

Vekseid

If someone wants to hack together a better .css file feel free, can include multiples too. As long as people aren't bleeding out though I need to get down to fixing other things : /

Beorning

Regarding this new design: with all due respect, Vekseid, it's catastrophic  :-(

The previous layout was very good. Now, it's... a mess. Please, let's go back to the previous one!!! I'm begging you...

I can supply some screeshots to show how this new layout looks on my screen. I can barely navigate it...  :-(