News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Pathfinder Interest Check: Crimson Throne

Started by kckolbe, December 10, 2014, 08:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiraMirror

For thematic purposes, you could invest in Dex, get Weapon Finesse and Agile Maneuvers, and work with the idea that what she lacks in raw power, she makes up for with unpredictability and finesse.  Hell, you could use that idea with a Dervish Dancer (bard archetype) and it'd be really neat. Her whole battle routine is a dance. =P
On's and Offs -  Please read before asking for a story <3

Chulanowa

Quote from: Ixy on December 11, 2014, 05:02:03 PM
Are we going to go with the concept of the group being professional performers?  I rather like the idea of being a show-company-- a vaudeville type revue-- with a theater as their base, and acting as mercenaries or adventurers behind the scenes (literally).

I could imagine almost any class behind the scenes, and for a front being either: a) fortune teller, b) dancer, c) animal tamer, d) carpenter, and any combination of the above.  Working on it.

If i understand the player's guide correctly, the characters come together as sort of a vigilante group to take out a right old bastard who has wronged them all in some way.

The idea of a performing troupe lends itself well to the Varisian people (gypsies, basically) in the setting.

Me, though, I've about had my fill of rogues, swashbucklers, and bards  ;D I'm looking for an idea that can take a thumpin'. Or possibly heal a thumpin'.

Quote from: ThatOneShrroth on December 11, 2014, 05:43:49 PM
For thematic purposes, you could invest in Dex, get Weapon Finesse and Agile Maneuvers, and work with the idea that what she lacks in raw power, she makes up for with unpredictability and finesse.  Hell, you could use that idea with a Dervish Dancer (bard archetype) and it'd be really neat. Her whole battle routine is a dance. =P

weapon Finesse is actually redundant with Agile Maneuvers; any combat maneuver you perform with a finessable weapon gets your dex bonus (i.e., disarming with a rapier, but not tripping with a halberd or bull-rushing with your face); Agile maneuvers is for monks who have made poor life choices.

MiraMirror

Chula: Weapon Finesse also lets you use Dex for your attack bonus. Agile maneuvers applies specifically to CMB checks, I believe.

Also, Thorne and I seem to be playing Red Oni, Blue Oni. =P

Chulanowa

But weapon finesse allows you to replace strength for your combat maneuver bonus' calculations, for relevant maneuvers with relevant weapons.

Behold, i bring you FAQ!  XD

MiraMirror

Ah, true enough. The only things you'd use for that would be...yeah, disarm/sunder/trip.  Still, Weapon Finesse would be neat with your bladed scarf, potentially using Vital Strike and the like...though if you went Dervish Dancer, you might not get that much use out of it later, since you'd get a pseudo-pounce.

Ixy

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 11, 2014, 07:47:25 PM
If i understand the player's guide correctly, the characters come together as sort of a vigilante group to take out a right old bastard who has wronged them all in some way.

The idea of a performing troupe lends itself well to the Varisian people (gypsies, basically) in the setting.

Me, though, I've about had my fill of rogues, swashbucklers, and bards  ;D I'm looking for an idea that can take a thumpin'. Or possibly heal a thumpin'.

Alright alright then, I'm thinking perhaps a Tiefling witch or sorceress, if you want to crank out a beast or tank or somesuch.  Apparently the rest of the party will be anime characters or something?  I don't know. 

I kid!  I kid!  Please don't hit me!

I'd be pretty happy making a barbarian as well, if they weren't so hyper-focused on rage rage rage all the time.  I rather like the idea of a multiclass witch/barbarian, actually, but most games don't last long enough to really explore leveling-up and such.

Thorne

*snicker* Druid.
If there's any resemblance to an anime character, it's inadvertent. ^.~

She'll have some healing ability, but her major use in a scuffle is probably her furry and feathered friends (Fluttershy with a spine? >.> )
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

MiraMirror

Meanwhile, she is the help...The large, feather/horned/clawed help who is not at all adverse to clawing someone to death. .w.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Ixy on December 11, 2014, 08:36:01 PM
Alright alright then, I'm thinking perhaps a Tiefling witch or sorceress, if you want to crank out a beast or tank or somesuch.  Apparently the rest of the party will be anime characters or something?  I don't know. 

I kid!  I kid!  Please don't hit me!

I'd be pretty happy making a barbarian as well, if they weren't so hyper-focused on rage rage rage all the time.  I rather like the idea of a multiclass witch/barbarian, actually, but most games don't last long enough to really explore leveling-up and such.

I was looking at a fighter or barbarian, myself.

If you want the "Barbaric witch" vibe, then a Shaman might do the work.

MiraMirror

Or a Scarred Witch Doctor, but from what I've heard, most DMs seem to ban them?

kckolbe

Dammit, my reply got eaten.

Bladed Scarf is fine, just take Exotic Weapon Prof and you can use the class you wanted, subbing scarf for rapier.  The scarf does 1d6 in melee, 1d4 when grappled. 

The characters are actually hired to take out an old bastard, slight modification.

Tieflings are viewed with suspicion, as are sorcerors and witches.  That said, an exotic woman with high charisma could be very popular if she played her cards right, especially with a high charisma.

Not familiar with Scarred Witch Doctor.  Is it a paizo class?

Don't worry about group roles being filled, by the way, as that won't factor in to my decision for characters.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

MiraMirror

kckolbe

Yeah, I don't see that one fitting the setting.  Sorry.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

MiraMirror

Jaded

I am thinking an Alchemist with Perform, a Stage Magician type. 

Rhaegar14

So I was looking at this thread debating whether I want to declare interest (I won't, too many players already), and I skimmed through a couple of the character concepts. Blinkin and VonDoom, if kckolbe is willing to use homebrew (and do the small changes to convert from 3.5 D&D to Pathfinder), this prestige class might be perfect for your concept: The Synchronized Swordsman by BRC
Pretty much scrapped my signature because everything in it is hilariously out of date. I might work on fixing that eventually.

MiraMirror

I was rather hoping to find a Prestige Class that focused more on the Druid's wildshape capabilities...Alas, I could find no such thing. All the PrCs focus on bloody casting. >:/

Rajah

Koan Twice-Cursed

There are any number of cruel fates in Golarion, and certainly to be half-Shoanti is not the worst of these - but when one's father is a literally soulless Hellknight of the Order of the Nail charged with subjecting one's matrilineage to total holocaust, well, that's what a man calls influential context. Koan's not sure how to feel about dear old Dad; the man's been possessed - again, a literal thing - as long as he can remember, and it's never been clear which of his attitudes and atrocities are free-willed and which are forced. Probably never will be.

Koan was raised by his mother, an exile of the Skull Clan who plays fortune-teller and ghost-whisperer to Korvosans looking for exotic answers to their mundane problems, and has lived with the troupe all his life, as cutpurse and apprentice mystic and, on occasion, troubleshooter when townfolk or Korvosan's legal enforcers pose a threat to the safety of the people of the tents. He's studied medicine and sleight of hand, the worlds beyond the horizon and how to read a person enough to convince them they're in contact, the arts of seeing and of being unseen - and a few more things aside, lessons taught through a different side of his mother altogether, with true mysticism in place of sarcasm and careful, halting tutelage instead of the free-spirited mixture of advice and practical example she uses for all else. Old Ways, she calls these special lessons. The killing arts.

He was 13 when he learned he had siblings, two half-sisters (of pure blood, of course) older and younger respectively, each said to walk his father's path and each said to seek him and Lady Tiirune (his mother, of course) for ominous and never-quite-explained-by-rumor purposes (of course). He was 16 when he took the walker's path from Korvosa into the Cinderlands and the edge of the Mobhad Leigh beyond, there to suffer an invocation the Skull Clan calls the wraith dance. A year later he returned tattooed and quiet-voiced, having given up some of his soul's brightness for an awakening he could only be prepared for by his definitive parent, rather than gifted or initiated into.

It's half a decade since then, and he still serves the troupe and by extension Korvosa - and now that chaos descends, he is all too keenly aware that the city-state's unprepared queen will need help of the most desperate kind...including from the Order of the Nail, who have been expanding their ranks and their reach in reaction to the riots and general disorder, offering welcomed aid in restoring peace...at cost. Terrible costs, in some cases. Spurred by the heightening of racial tensions between the Varisians and the "barbarian" Shoanti who live within Korvosa, the danger to the troupe as banditry spikes and the roads grow monster-haunted, and ill tidings of certain propositions made from the Order to the beleaguered city-state's nobles, Koan is as ready as ever he'll be - the time to act is now. Peace must return to Korvosa.

Race: Human
Class: Stalker (Dreamscarred Press, which is almost Paizo!)
Traits: Criminal, Scholar of the Beyond
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

kckolbe

I am only going to use paizo products. 

Rajah: Stalker doesn't seem overpowered at a glance, but I don't know what to expect from it either.  Your concept is an interesting one, though.  I hope you are able to express it using paizo classes.

Jaded: Looking forward to seeing a little more.  Don't feel locked in to the performance angle.  There are plenty of ways for an alchemist to make money, after all.

Intro Thread

VonDoom

Looks like where the Slayer is Ranger/Rogue, this is Ranger/Ninja? Interesting.

And Shrroth, have you looked through all the archetypes? Those are generally more developed than prestige classes. Also, since all Pathfinder is okay, check d20pfsrd for stuff from campaign and regional books, maybe?
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Rajah

Quote from: kckolbe on December 12, 2014, 02:40:34 AM
I am only going to use paizo products. 

Rajah: Stalker doesn't seem overpowered at a glance, but I don't know what to expect from it either.  Your concept is an interesting one, though.  I hope you are able to express it using paizo classes.

Not so much. :\ Since DSP is in charge of all the fun subsystems for Pathfinder (psionics, disciplines, soulmelds, and truenaming so far - won't be surprised to see them do vestiges next) it's pretty much impossible to do the same thing with official classes; Paizo won't compete with Dreamscarred Press, which means their stuff is gonna be as official as it ever gets.
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

kckolbe

Sorry Rajah.  Best of luck with something else.

Intro Thread

Jaded

So far my thoughts are:

Iriel Goldwind, at least that is the name she uses among humans, is a one hundred and twenty six year old elf.  She rarely speaks of her past, of the violent storm that shattered the ship her family was travelling on, or the years she spent crafting poisons and other lethal concoctions for an assassin’s guild after she washed up on shore.  She took up dancing as an escape, and as a way to make a living without dealing death.  While she still does make a side living with her alchemical skill, she tries to avoid creating or selling anything that could be used in a lethal fashion except for her own use. 

Korvosa was a place for Iriel to escape, to make a new start.  She fled her employers, hopped a ship, and travelled as far as she could on what money she had managed to scrounge.  It was in Korvosa that her money ran out.  She found a job as a stage dancer, using her alchemical abilities to improve her performances, and occasional mercenary. 

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

I am thinking she general uses sleight of hand to drink her extracts, combining disguise self, blurred movement, maybe chameleon, etc with her dance.  It may be a silly idea and I'm not sure how to describe it, but it amuses me. 

In combat probably a focus on ranged.  Are firearms allowed?

Does the idea seem to fit?  Or should I try to come up with something else?

VonDoom

Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Chulanowa

I... will come up with something later today! It's looking like either a thumper (Barbarian / Fighter / Paladin) or a Healer-type (Cleric, maybe Shaman?) - point is i have a few ideasm but not a lot of brainpower at the moment!