News:

Main Menu

Quotes

Started by Andy, April 23, 2009, 03:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gunslinger

Here are some of my fav quotes:

"But the fact that some geniuses were laughed at does not imply that all who are laughed at are geniuses. They laughed at Columbus, they laughed at Fulton, they laughed at the Wright Brothers. But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown."
-Carl Sagan

"For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
-Carl Sagan

"Sir, there is a distinct difference between having an open mind and having a hole in your head from which your brain leaks out."
-James Randi

sloc

I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent.
- Mohandas Gandhi

When action grows unprofitable, gather information; when information grows unprofitable, sleep.
- Ursula K. Le Guin

To light a candle is to cast a shadow.
- Ursula K. Le Guin

It is above all by the imagination that we achieve perception and compassion and hope.
- Ursula K. Le Guin

Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind.
- George Orwell

Fear is the mind killer. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past,
I will turn my inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.
-Dune

Responsibility being the ability to respond, instead of the necessity to react
-Unknown
Minds, like parachutes, work best when open
- anonymous

Ons and Offs
Rabbit Hole

AdianaCelestyn

"Love without pain isn't really romance." - 'Only This Moment' by Royksopp

"Awareness is the enemy of sanity - for once you hear the screaming, it never stops." - Emilie Autumn

"'An it harm none, do what thou will." - Wiccan Rede

"Not all those who wander are lost." - Lord of the Rings

"Carpe Ominus." (Seize it all)

"Life is not like Gloomy Sunday, with a second ending when the people are disturbed." - Emilie Autumn

"Fare thee well, little broken heart, downcast eyes, lifetime loneliness..." - 'Forever Yours' by Nightwish
~*~ Love without Pain isn't really Romance...~*~

~*~These violent delights have violent ends.~*~

despickable

If at first you don't succeed. Keep sucking till you do succeed (suck seed)
Curly The Three Stooges.

Beauty is only skin deep. Ugliness goes all the way to the bone.

You can take a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.
Lyric from Half Man Half Biscuit (Title unknown)

You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think.

If you stop to smell the roses you only step in manure

Life is something you do while your making other plans.

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

SuperHans

Winston Churchill said lots of good stuff, but one that always stuck with me was "You have enemies? Good. That means that, at some time and point in your life, you have stood for something." It's a pretty good guide to life.
That's just, like, your opinion, man

O&O

Avis habilis

"The opprobrium of assholes is a badge of honor." - Norman Spinrad

Inkidu

You'll get farther with a kind word and a gun than you will with just a kind word-- Al Capone
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Tachi

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."     Napoleon Bonaparte

"We enjoy the night, the darkness, where we can do things that aren't acceptable in the light. Night is when we slake our thirst." -William Hill

"Man cannot make a worm, yet he will make gods by the dozen." -Michel Eyquem de Montaigne

Serephino

"The mark of an educated mind is to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it"- Aristotle

"The perfect tyranny is that which is ignorantly self inflicted by its victims."- James Dresden

"Our best evidence of what people truly feel and believe comes less from their words than from their deeds."- Robert Caldini

"Ideologies have no heart of their own.  They're the whores and angels of our striving selves."- John LeCarre

"In a completely sane world madness is the only freedom."- Josh Billings

"Bravery is being the only one who knows you're afraid."- Franklin Jones

"All people dream, but not equally.  Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their mind wake in the morning to find that it was vanity.  But the dreamers of the day are dangerous people, for they dream their dreams with open eyes and make them come true."- T.E. Lawrence

"If all men were just there would be no need of valor."- Agesilaus

"Wickedness is a myth invented by good people to account for the curious attractions of others."- unknown

Oniya

Contradiction is not a sign of falsity, nor the lack of contradiction a sign of truth. - Blaise Pascal

Life is an offensive, directed against the repetitious mechanism of the Universe. - Alfred Whitehead

Seek simplicity, and distrust it. - Alfred Whitehead

Mathematics consists of proving the most obvious thing in the least obvious
way. - Polyá, George (1887, 1985)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Jude

Be polite to all, but intimate with few.
Thomas Jefferson

Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
Thomas Jefferson

I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature.
Thomas Jefferson

I know of no safe depository of the ultimate powers of the society but the people themselves; and if we think them not enlightened enough to exercise their control with a wholesome discretion, the remedy is not to take it from them but to inform their discretion.
Thomas Jefferson

DrFier

"Man's only obligation is at all times to do that which he believes right."

-Jefferson
Ons and Offs
Ideas
The Doctor is out.

Screen images simulated. Not an actual physician. Professional driver on a closed course, do not attempt. If you have an erection lasting more than four hours, contact your significant other.

StrawberryDream

Quote from: saturnschild on May 06, 2009, 09:56:11 AM
The greatest thing you can ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return.
-Moulin Rouge

My favorite, that was great movie.