Stargate Meets Firefly

Started by Cyclops, December 01, 2009, 12:05:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyclops

I had this idea...  What if in the storyline if Firefly someone finds a Stargate?  I mean it is possable that could happen, SGC was in the "Earth that Was" long gone and forgotten.  One ship, not Alliance finds a gate and starts to experiment with it.

Comments?  Interest?
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

ShamshielDF

Could definitely be interesting, though I think it would need a lot more fleshing out before I could really come up with a solid idea to work with.

Would this take place before or after events in the movie?
Would the group that finds the gate be akin to the Serenity crew (smugglers/thieves) or simply some other group staying well outside of the Alliance reach?
How extensive of Stargate/Firefly lore do you want?  I've seen all of Serenity (series and movie) as well as the Stargate movie and several of the original TV series.
Will the gate be linked to the normal Stargate universe or something only within their parallel universe/galaxy?
What sort of game are you looking for?  Non-adult, NC-E...
etc, etc...

Could maybe be interested ^_^
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Cyclops

Well, all good questions and you're right...  The post was pretty much just to see if anyone was interested in the idea in general.

I would think that this is after the Serenity movie, and would not involve the crew of Serenity, but I am torn on the kind of crew.  Could be very interesting to do a very bad crew, as in die hard smugglers and such.  Traders perhaps in slaves and anything else, no limits to what they will or can do.  There is also the opposite, a straight running crew.

The Stargate would be connected to the Stargate network as it would exist in the Stargate Lore, but I was thinking something more similar to the Stargate network they found in Atlantis, made for space travel.  The newest show of Stargate Universe seems to imply that Stargates are placed on planets across many different universes, not just ours or Pegasus, this could lead to the crew being transported between someplace unreachable by the Alliance.

If it would be the smuggler crew who were ruthless, I'd enjoy the contrast of going to worlds of 'good' trusting people to take advantage of.  If it would be the other crew I would like those of the worlds on the other side of the gate to be ruthless - lots of conflict.

Given the world of Firelfy I would lean toward the ruthless crew.

I would think Adult, with elements of non-consensual and perhaps even the possibility for sex with alien life.

Considering the Firefly universe takes place away from "Earth that Was" it is possible that they could be in an area without more than the one Stargate that the crew will find.  I don't see why it would have to be parallel as they are not mutually exclusive.
Remember the words of the High Lord Mhoram...  "It takes strength to judge the weakness of others, I am not so mighty."

DarkDaemon

I'm interested. What type, though- freeform, structured?
As for the crew, I would think ruthless- but still good guys. They've just had do live in a rough universe. They won't stab you in the back (Unless you pissed em off enough), they don't go back on deals (Unless the deal's gone south) and they never hurt children (Unless the pay is that good.

What I think would be great, is if they find that they have a shuttle that fits just right into a stargate. Oh, the fun we could have...
I will have limited access 12/22 through 1/1.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Cyclops

I like that...

Well, as seen in Atlantis the Jumpers fit perfectly into the gates, they found find a Puddle Jumper somewhere and that is what leads them to the gate.  Good little ships.  Unless we want to do bigger gates that fit bigger ships, though I suppose we could go way into the weird and have them find a Super-Gate as in the Ori conflict from SG-1.

DarkDaemon

No, I'm thinking standard gates- although using an ori gate to get their ship across could be an interesting plot point.

Now, there's no way a full ship could fit through a gate, but perhaps the small shuttle attached to the larger ship can? For transporting goods, getting across the new planet faster, maybe bring in some air support or evac?
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Kitrazzle

This is a tremendously intriguing method of combining my two favorite scifi's. WOOHOO!!

I'd be okay with going as detailed with both shows' canon as you want. I've seen all of the Firefly stuff and all three shows. Or at least most of all three shows. There's always http://gateworld.net/, after all. The big questions are 1) are we still in the same universe? (I'm thinking Yes since all the maps I've seen have only had a few stars) and 2) if we are, what the hell has gone on in while we were gone? There must have been one heck of a power vacuum when the Tauri left, lots must have changed.

Hard and ruthless crew with a code of personal ethics sounds more fun, especially if some members are more willing to bend or otherwise ignore their principles then others. Insert evil giggles here.

It's more likely for the crew to be able to figure out the Gate if it's a land-based one, but an additional network of space gates would be awesome. This place where we find the Gate (probably one of the only ones in the Firefly area of space since all of those planets and moons were terraformed), would it be based around Goauld design like the Abydos map room or Lantean tech like Atlantis base?

Cyclops

Quote from: DarkDaemon on December 02, 2009, 01:29:06 AM
No, I'm thinking standard gates- although using an ori gate to get their ship across could be an interesting plot point.

Now, there's no way a full ship could fit through a gate, but perhaps the small shuttle attached to the larger ship can? For transporting goods, getting across the new planet faster, maybe bring in some air support or evac?

Two fold here...  Standard gates MIGHT fit something the side of the firefly-shuttle, though I doubt it...  As we see in Atlantis the Jumpers are barely able to fit, we know something along the lines of the death gliders fits but that is very small.

This leaves two possible suggestions...  The first is, planet-side gates unless we use a super-gate.

The second I like better...  We open the story with the crew having failed at some mission and stranded on a planet without a ship and without food or water, they are exploring trying to find such and they find a 'Lantean ship, not the size of a city or the size of the Ancient ship used in SG-Universe.  I am picturing something we have never seen before, similar in size to the Serenity.  Perhaps a bit bigger but roughly that kind of small transport vessel.  They find it on a planet and in the way of the Ancient technology that has been used it starts to power up and ready for use when they enter the vessel.  Equip it with two Jumpers as shuttles attached to the ship.  The solves the problem of how to get through gates and how the crew will get around and the standard discovery phase of figuring the ship out.  The potential friction from a failed mission also provides good role play.

Quote from: Kitrazzle on December 02, 2009, 02:52:53 AM
This is a tremendously intriguing method of combining my two favorite scifi's. WOOHOO!!

I'd be okay with going as detailed with both shows' canon as you want. I've seen all of the Firefly stuff and all three shows. Or at least most of all three shows. There's always http://gateworld.net/, after all. The big questions are 1) are we still in the same universe? (I'm thinking Yes since all the maps I've seen have only had a few stars) and 2) if we are, what the hell has gone on in while we were gone? There must have been one heck of a power vacuum when the Tauri left, lots must have changed.

Hard and ruthless crew with a code of personal ethics sounds more fun, especially if some members are more willing to bend or otherwise ignore their principles then others. Insert evil giggles here.

It's more likely for the crew to be able to figure out the Gate if it's a land-based one, but an additional network of space gates would be awesome. This place where we find the Gate (probably one of the only ones in the Firefly area of space since all of those planets and moons were terraformed), would it be based around Goauld design like the Abydos map room or Lantean tech like Atlantis base?

That is totally what made me think of it...  Two great Scifi shows!

1 - Yes, same universe, don't think we need to do parallels or anything like that.  There is enough room to have had the SGC have happened on Earth long before it as abandoned.  Additionally, we know that the Asgard are no more, as they gave their master computer to Earth.  The Guaold system lords could also be gone as well, as they were virtually crushed.  There are no long-term races that could not have changed in the really, incredibly loose (as written) amount of time that could have passed between then and the Firefly universe.

2 - This goes into 1 as well, but I picture Firefly taking place in a small section of the universe, we know galactic distances can be so great that really, only a few stars are written to exist in Firefly leaving it open to being a very small part of the Galaxy at large.  Planets that required terraforming are likely to not have gates, on average.

3 - This works to our advantage leaving almost nothing left from that era, other races in other parts of the Galaxy may be at different technology levels as well, space travelers to nonindustrial are all possible within the limits of canon.

See what I said above about the kinds of gates, except, I think if we do a ship-based then all the addresses could be in the on board computer system.  The gates would be like those in the Milky-Way network and use the same symbols.  Also, I'd think that we want to leave enough power to operate the gate without issue but not the kind of power needed to enter an 8th Symbol, if we want to do that, I'd say go with a super-gate.

An interesting side point...  What about the trans-galactic conduit proposed in SG-Atlantis?  That would be fun to play with.  If we choose NOT to go with a ship-based story, they could base themselves at the half-way point of the bridge and have access to both the Atlantis network and Milky-Way network.

DarkDaemon

Quote from: titanshadow on December 02, 2009, 07:45:36 PM
The second I like better...  We open the story with the crew having failed at some mission and stranded on a planet without a ship and without food or water, they are exploring trying to find such {...}  The potential friction from a failed mission also provides good role play.
I really like this, but for added drama- the mission failed because one crew member betrayed them. Is he/she also on the planet, and tensions arise because they're the one with the ancient gene/mcguffin to power the ship? Or did they fly away on their stolen ship, laughing- and the players want to hunt him/her down for revenge?
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

ShamshielDF

I sort of like the idea of a betrayal, either by a long time crew member who is turning the ship over to another group or by someone who recently joined, strictly for the purposes of subterfuge and theft of the ship.  If the crew had made a name for themselves, someone could want the ship just so they have the name, or to try to gain control of the party.  And when the crew comes back with yon ancient alien tech to demand their ship back...
Ons and offs!
A&A

DarkDaemon

Heh heh. The mere fact that every single Stargate ship has a shield puts them a league above Serenity. I'm thinking, A stargate universe ship, in general, is a match for a serenity ship of one or two classes bigger than it.
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

ShamshielDF

Yes, but I can also see the crew using said ship to get their own back, at least, at some later point.  I mean...it's the point of the thing!  You can't very well allow people to wander off with your ship without doing something about it.  I mean...what sort of pernicious space pirates would just let someone steal their boat?
Ons and offs!
A&A

DarkDaemon

Oh, certainly. But I imagine it something like this.
Players, "This is the Ring of Might (Spaceship name), hailing Starjumper. Erickson, you greasy slimeball sonuvabitch, are you there?"
Erickson, "So, you fools have come back for your ship? Well, let me-"
Players, "No, you twat. We've got a better one. Fire all guns."
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Jazzturbation

I must say, I really like this idea... but I have to admit I am a lot more familiar with Firefly than I am with Star Gate.

Just throwin my name in for now, I'll be checking in to add more comments later.

Cyclops

I am posting now from my phone so I can't type loads but I wanted to put a few thoughts...

On the subject of the Ancient Gene, I picture most of them having the gene but stife coming from the fact that one does not.  That singles them out and creates a normal environment of self doubt and those aroun you making it worse.

As far as who and why of betrayal (which I like a lot) should be a trusted member if the crew who has been with them for years and takes them for everything they have, ship/money/reputation.  They chase after him (or her) in the Ancient ship figuring out how it works along the way.

Cyclops

Let's also remeber the first battle may go very badly they will not be able to read Lantean at first so for a while the ship may not have effective shields because they don't know how to turn them on.  However I digress...

The primay purpose of the game would not be to find the betrayer but instead to explore and profit from the new found gate system, but without the self imposed restrictions found in the Stargate series.  There is room for the "moral no ground", ie doing things they know are wrong but are too profitable to turn down, I kind of l am kind of liking the idea of it maybe going to some emotionally dark places and back.  A journey not just to darkness but back again sounds very compelling to me personally.

DarkDaemon

Well, yes, getting back at the betrayer won't be the crux of gameplay- more like a fun thing to do once the players have figured out the ship.

"Hey boss, we made like kings on the last run."
"Yep, Jimmy."
"What say we pay Erickson a visit?"
Boss stops what he's doing, then, "Why, I believe thats a right pretty idea. Haven't seen Erickson's ugly mug in ages, have we? Warm up the weapons, check the shields. We're going to say hi to an old friend of ours..."
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Jazzturbation

Of course, now the betrayer has to be called Erikson... I love it.

Cyclops

Quote from: DarkDaemon on December 03, 2009, 12:12:14 AM
Well, yes, getting back at the betrayer won't be the crux of gameplay- more like a fun thing to do once the players have figured out the ship.

"Hey boss, we made like kings on the last run."
"Yep, Jimmy."
"What say we pay Erickson a visit?"
Boss stops what he's doing, then, "Why, I believe thats a right pretty idea. Haven't seen Erickson's ugly mug in ages, have we? Warm up the weapons, check the shields. We're going to say hi to an old friend of ours..."

Alright, now that I like, very much...  Something they do once they figure things out.

Sounds like we're getting things flushed out pretty well...  What other concerns do people have before perhaps wanting to start a game?

ShamshielDF

How many people are we going to have as part of the crew?  And who's doing what?

In advance, I'm calling dibs on engineering ^_^
Ons and offs!
A&A

Cyclops

Well...

First we need a roster of what is required...

Basic ship positions:
Captain
1st Officer/Pilot
- (Commander Riker from ST:TNG type)
Engineer
Security/Fighter
- (Think Jane from Firefly)
Hustler
- (Think Leo Gets from Lethal Weapon / Klinger from MASH)
Doctor ??
- Someone needs to be a medic, but I don't see why that can't be doubled with someone else.

This can be expanded on if people want to double up, or shortened if people don't.

I'd like to be Captain myself, gives me control over direction and plot stuff, but I don't have to be.

We have ShamshielDF wanting to be Engineer, works for me unless we have someone else wanting to be.

Captain - Titanshadow
Pilot - ??
Fighter - ??
Engineer - ShamishielDF
Hustler - ??
Doctor - ??

DarkDaemon

Ohh... my choices, top followed by less so:

• Pilot
  • Fighter
  • Doctor
  • Hustler- is this sorta like the face?

So yeah, I'd like Pilot or maybe Fighter, but if someone will only play if they get those parts, I could do doctor or somesuch.

I'd also like to play Erickson.  :P
I am myself.
Ons and Offs

Kitrazzle

My top choices are as follows:

1. Doctor
2. Hustler (Don't know Lethal Weapon, but I am well familiar with Klinger so I assume this is a Scrounger sort of thing)
3. Pilot

But I would not be able to play until after December 20th, since that's when I'm getting back from the honeymoon.

Cyclops

Quote from: DarkDaemon on December 03, 2009, 01:13:30 PM
Ohh... my choices, top followed by less so:

• Pilot
  • Fighter
  • Doctor
  • Hustler- is this sorta like the face?

So yeah, I'd like Pilot or maybe Fighter, but if someone will only play if they get those parts, I could do doctor or somesuch.

I'd also like to play Erickson.  :P

Good, because one of my weakest points is playing the evil bad guys, I don't do it very well.  So, you get to be Erickson, hands down.

Other than that...  It is up in the air.  So far, we'll say you are Pilot because it is your top priority and I don't see it elsewhere as a top priority.

Quote from: Kitrazzle on December 03, 2009, 03:49:38 PM
My top choices are as follows:

1. Doctor
2. Hustler (Don't know Lethal Weapon, but I am well familiar with Klinger so I assume this is a Scrounger sort of thing)
3. Pilot

But I would not be able to play until after December 20th, since that's when I'm getting back from the honeymoon.

The time to play is no problem, I'm thinking this is going to be a bit of prep to get this rolling.  I've always started games very quickly and I think that is why a lot of my games die early, not enough prep.  I want to do it right this time.

Since your top choice is Doctor, you can be the Doctor thus far, of course this isn't locked.

The Hustler is kind of like a Scrounger but more the wheeling and dealing, the guy that CAN get ANYTHING you want but just don't ask him why he needed the artifact you just stole for him or who he is giving it to, just trust that there are no traces to you and that you will get what you want.

Cyclops

Thus far...

Captain - TitanShadow
Pilot - DarkDemon
Fighter - ??
Engineer - ShamishielDF
Hustler - ??
Doctor - Kitrazzle
---
Erickson - DarkDemon

I'd like the game to be sexually charged to some extent, not like all sex all the time, but an undertone of sexiness to it.  Kind of like what we see on popular shows right now except I want us to go there.  The couple that wants to have sex don't get interrupted to make it last forever.  Make sense?

Comments/Questions so far?