Kalore's Mask-open rp join in anytime!

Started by Verasaille, May 06, 2015, 12:24:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

Basic rules: Create a character you really like that fits how you see yourself. Modern day setting. The interactions will be with Gretchen as the GM of the adventures she pulls her customers into with the use of an Antique Mask. 

This will be a bit different. I encourage people to come and go as they wish. It will be set in a small city in modern times. You can create a character and a back story and join in as often as you like. Keep in mind, Gretchen is not actually transporting anyone to a different plane of existence. She might be doing something close to hypnotizing them, but your character is never trapped against their will. If it gets too intense or awkward your character can merely say "I am going home" and she will release you.

Gretchen Malloway has a small game and antique shop. She sets up games in the back of her shop. Mostly like Dungeons and Dragons, but any adventure game will do to entertain her customers. Sometimes she sets up a story night, when she brings out a very ancient antique Mask. She will wear it as she tells a story. As she weaves the tale, things around the room get hazy. The listeners are enraptured by the story and imagine themselves as part of it. That is where the fun comes in!

She will spin her tale and ask questions until she sees you forming a distinct alternate character. She will give you a role in the story, like a mage, cleric, warrior, or rogue. The stories have to be consistent with the roles that everyone wants to take. The setting will be set up ahead of time before she begins her tale. Such as Medieval or ancient history or a strict fantasy with no bearing to modern times. She is pretty open in her ideas. However, since we are in the public forums we need to keep everything PG 13.  That means to me that we need to keep sexual talk out of the game. I would not like a lot of graphic violence either.

The stories will be fairly simple in the way of plot. We will have a set of adventurers, a plot device and a goal. I would like to keep them fairly short as we might have people coming and going and new stories can always be started. So let's keep it fun and open and welcoming to the new people.

So ready to begin? My next post will be about Gretchen Malloway and her shop. No need to set up complex character sheets or fancy charts. A good description of your character will do fine and the entrance into Gretchen's shop.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Verasaille

The city of Kantul is quiet today, a typical spring day with flowers blooming everywhere. Temperature is in the 70's and it is bright and sunny. The city is not overly large, but comfortable enough to have a good sized economy and population. Very little actual crime is committed, and the police are friendly and helpful always. The Mayor does her job and the citizens are pretty much happy.

On the Main street through the busy part of the market district is a series of shops. One of them is Gretchen Malloway's  Little Shoppe of Games and Antiques. Affectionately referred to as Lisga by the patrons. Gretchen herself is an elderly woman with a very vivid imagination. She collects antiques and sells them as well as games of all kinds. From fancy board games like Chess to the children's classics and many more.

She has always been a fan of the Dungeon's and Dragon's genre and with a little coaxing, will run a game night for her many adoring customers. They come from all walks of life, adults and children alike. She loves them all and treats each one as a special friend.

Today she opened her shoppe with a smile as the warm spring breeze ruffled her silver blue hair. Hanging the OPEN sign on the door, she takes a deep breath of the flower scented air and retreats inside to begin her business day. She has a comfortable chair behind the counter and a large selection of games and books in the front of the store. In the second area is a eclectic collection of antique toys, clocks and knick knacks on shelves high and low.

There is a back room where she has a comfortable lounge set up with a kitchenette for fixing tea and snacks, and furniture that ranges from comfortable arm chairs to a couple long and inviting couches. A table and chairs occupies the center of this room for the more serious gamers to write out charts and set up adventures. Gretchen's chair is an antique overstuffed arm chair in a lovely shade of maroon. This room is only used on game nights when the Shoppe is closed.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Darkleather

Dave was at a loose end and wandering around wondering what to do.  He had an argument with his partner and didn't want to go home - but he only had £5 in his pocket and didn't want to sit in a pub drinking it away.  So he walked.  Dave had done this a few times before, so it was no huge problem - just annoying.

Dave was 26 years old, 6ft tall and thanks to hours in the gym he filled out his clothing well.  He wasn't particularly handsome, but his youthful features and untidy ginger hair got him his fair share of attention.  He had grabbed what was closest when he left the flat, so he was walking around in board shorts, deck shoes and a green and purple Hulk T-Shirt.  He sighed as the first fleeting drops of rain hit his forehead.

He looked up to see the blackening swell of storm clouds overhead.  A rush of wind blew down the street, making him squint into it.  The area darkened and Dave realised this was going to be a major storm.  He started to jog down the road, looking for somewhere to go.  He looked around but the only shop open seemed to be some kind of game shop.  He stepped inside just as the storm broke

Verasaille

The sudden squall was totally unexpected. "What happened to my bright and sunny day?" She muttered to herself as the rain came pelting down.

The door to the shop opened and the bell hung over the door chimed cheerfully. A nice looking young man came in and looked around. "Good day to you! I am Gretchen. I have not met you before, but I always welcome new customers! Did the rain chase you in?" her smile was wide and friendly.

Darkleather

"Hi - err yes it suddenly started pelting down out there."

Dave was taken aback by the effusive greeting, but closed the door behind him and headed into the shop.  His eyes passed over the board games and childrens games and lighted on the shelves of roleplaying books.

"Damn - AD&D.  I haven't played that for years.  Mind if I take a look?"

Almost without waiting for her answer he went over to the books and started running his fingers over the spines.  As he did, memories came to him of a small group of friends who had played every weekend, steeping themselves in an imaginary world where they could be the heroes rather than the bullied.  He wondered where those guys were now.  Without thinking he pulled out a Players Handbook and opened it, the familiar brown pages and illustrations bringing a flood of memories back

Mihkul

Mihkul muttered under his breath. The blasted weather report called for sun all day and he was foolish enough to leave his umbrella at home. Turning up his collar he huddled underneath the awning of the small antique shop. Perhaps it will pass quickly, he thought.

He peered through the storefront window. There was a young man inside and an elderly woman. Perhaps this was Gretchen, the store owner. The sign said it was open so, being curious, he stepped in. The shelves were filled with an assortment of antiques and what-nots that he couldn't even recognize. A colonial bedwarmer.A wooden butter churn. This was truly a picker's paradise.

Verasaille

Gretchen chuckled softly. "By all means look. Just be careful. Some of those manuals have seen better days. I like to think I have a large collection. Until someone cleans out their garage and brings me something I have not seen before!" her blue eyes sparkling.

The next customer went right to the antiques and she greeted him warmly. "Hello! I see you have an eye for the treasures of the past. I don't think I have anything too ancient. Well except for the mask...but that is not for sale."
She indicated a beautiful wooden and painted mask hanging on the wall behind her. It had several colorful feathers decorating it. Though there were no eyes in the sockets it almost seemed to have a flicker of light coming from inside. Or was that imagination?

Mihkul

The old woman's voice startled him as he looked over the variety of curio. He voice was warm and friendly and her eyes were mysterious yet kind. She motioned to the mask on the wall and he looked at it. The ornate feathers looked in extremely good condition for being as old as she had mentioned. Yet, he could not break his gaze from the empty eyes that seemed to be so much alive, as if the mask would soon start a conversation with him.

"That is quite beautiful, " he told the woman. "Antiques are somewhat of a hobby of mine." He stretched out his hand to the woman. "I'm Mihkul. And you must be Gretchen. I love your little establishment. There is so much history inside these walls." His eyes returned to the mask. It almost look like it had changed color and he removed his glasses and wiped them on his shirt. "Might I ask where this came from?"

Verasaille

Her wrinkled hand stretched out to take his firmly. Antique rings decorated her hand and she chuckled softly. "You have a keen eye then for the lessons of history." she released his hand and turned to gaze at the mask.

"I am not certain, only that the man who brought it to me was elderly and he looked to be on his last legs. He swore it was from the Aztecs. But I am not sure if he was merely trying to make a sale, or if it is genuine. I have become quite fond of it. I use it as a prop to do my Game night. The gamers seem to enjoy it." she turned to the other one looking at the gaming manuals.

"I do game nights on Thursday nights once I have enough interested in doing it. Some have drifted away, but more always seem to be drawn to the mystery and excitement of joining in an adventure. I have a sign up sheet somewhere..." she checked a desk behind her and searched for a moment before finding an ancient hotel registry book with newer pages in it. Blank lines and a heading of simple instructions would be seen.

Name:
Date available to play:

"Once I have at least four people signed up I can plan a night to have some fun GM'ing a game"

Mihkul

Mihkul glanced at the sheet. "I'm not much of a gamer," he spoke softly. Yet there was something about that mask that seemed to beckon him to this. He reached in his pocket and took out an ink pen then began to write on the sheet.

Name: Mihkul
favorite genre: Fantasy, romance, horror
Date available to play: As soon as possible

He handed the paper back to Gretchen and smiled. "It might be fun to try it. Give me a call when you've got enough people." He handed her his business card and continued browsing through the antiquities.

Darkleather

David put down the rulebook he was reading and picked the sheet up

Name: David
Genre:  Fantasy, horror, gothic
Date available: as soon as possible

He grinned and handed the sheet back

Verasaille

It pleased Gretchen that she had a couple of gamers to entertain. "Now we need a few more. I like to get at least four, but more are welcome. Nice to meet you David. Did you find any of the manuals interesting?"

She herself loved fantasy, but she would go with whatever the rest decided upon. It was always interesting to see how people reacted to the mask when it took them deeper into the game.

Darkleather

Quote from: Verasaille on May 07, 2015, 02:59:57 PM
It pleased Gretchen that she had a couple of gamers to entertain. "Now we need a few more. I like to get at least four, but more are welcome. Nice to meet you David. Did you find any of the manuals interesting?"

She herself loved fantasy, but she would go with whatever the rest decided upon. It was always interesting to see how people reacted to the mask when it took them deeper into the game.

"I did, Gretchen, brought back so many memories.  Are they for sale?"

He blushed as he remembered he only had £5 in his pocket.

"I mean, not for buying now, but certainly something to consider when I get paid next"

Verasaille

She smiled at him and chuckled. "I can also trade if you have something other than what is there. Something different and interesting. We use those on our game nights if anyone is interested in doing a particular game. They are old, and actually I can make a pretty good guess they will be there when you get paid."

It looked like the rain had brought her some new customers and she was happy for once that it was a cloudy day after all.

Mihkul

He listened as Gretchen explaine more of her game night. "I'm not much of a gamer. I've heard of Dungeons and Dragons but haven't a clue as to how to play."
Mihkul's ears prickled when he heard the word "trade." He loved a good barter and prided himself in making fair deals. "Would you consider trading a baseball card for this little trinket?" He was looking at an antique amulet. He couldn't quite read the inscription but with a little polish he was sure he could identify it. "I happen to have an original Mickey Mantle rookie year card. Or perhaps comic books would be more to your liking? I have a first edition Iron Man issue from 1968, valued at $700.00."

Verasaille

She looked at the amulet he was fingering. "Oh that is a very valuable little trinket indeed. I have been meaning to get it up on Ebay, as most people around here are not that interested. It is Egyptian, but the effort to figure out where exactly and what era is too much for the layman. The folks at the museum in town offered me seven hundred for it. I am debating, as I could use a bit more money to keep the shop open. But offer me more and I will gladly sell it to someone who can actually appreciate it. All the museum wants to do it display it."

She got all wistful for a moment. "I think the ancient things need to be held and marveled over, it's almost as if they can tell a story. Whether it is to spark imagination or simply to act as a catalyst. Sometimes you can just look at them and get ideas." she turned to the mask on the wall behind her. "Or wear them...for a more intense..." she blinked. Clearing her throat she turned back to Mihkul.

"Bring me what you consider a good trade and it's yours." Smiling warmly.

Mihkul

Mihkul listened as Gretchen spoke. Perhaps she was more interested in the cash than another collectible. But, it was quite a bit of money. His fingers slid over the face of the amulet, tingling from the dull metal surface that seemed to sparkle at his touch. Absently he slipped the chain over his neck.

His mind seemed to be transported to a land far away, filled with desert sands and pyramids. He watched as the slaves labored under the watchful eye of their task masters. He blinked his eyes and the vision disappeared. With shaky hands he slipped the amulet from his neck and reached for his check book. "I will pay you $800.00 for this right now if you will accept a check."

Verasaille

Gretchen watched as he slipped the golden chain around his neck. The amulet was giving him something...she could tell.  Her mouth quirked in a knowing grin. "I can see you are a sensitive. Not everyone feels like we do. I can accept a check if I can get it to clear this infernal machine that tells me if you have enough in the bank to do it! I appreciate the money. This place is mine, I own the property, but taxes eat up my profits a lot." she pointed to the surprisingly modern cash register that did such marvelous things as check clearing.

She picked up a small bag from her stash under the counter. It was printed with the name of the Shoppe and a small picture of the front door. She prepared to place the amulet inside as he wrote his check. "Unless you want to wear it? I know it is tempting. I hope you are not driving?"

Darkleather

Dave was annoyed that he had come out without any money.  He carefully put the books back in the shelf.  By the time he turned around Gretchen was clearly making a sale to Mikhul.     He shuffled his feet in annoyed embarrassment and waited for an opportune moment to make his good byes --- but he would definitely be back with cash :)

Mihkul

Mihkul quickly scribbled out a check and handed it to Gretchen with a smile. "I think I would prefer to carry this rathwer than wear it. It is a powerful piece." He had studied a lot of the ancient Egyptians and of their gods and goddesses yet this amulet was no familiar to him.

"Do you mind if I browse a little longer. You have some very fascinating pieces here." He walked to another shelf of miscellaneous pieces, baubles and trinkets of times long ago.