Tips for Wax Removal

Started by Lilias, September 13, 2011, 03:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lilias

No, not that kind of wax. >_>

I bought a pair of simple but lovely jar candles some time ago, thoroughly enjoyed burning them, and now that they're almost gone I have decided I'd like to keep the jars as holders for votives or small pillars. That can't be, though, until I manage to remove the last layer of wax from the bottom and prise out the wicks. Any sneaky tricks?
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oreo

I used to boil mine in water and then crack the cooled wax from the top of the cooled water. Only down side is you need to make sure to use a pan that is only for crafts and such as you will then have a waxy pan. :P I never tried it with a telethon pan, that might work.

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Lilias

I tried scraping the wax off with the blunt edge of a knife, and it came out surprisingly easily. Some hot water soaking took care of the rest, and after scrubbing with some kitchen roll, the jar is neat enough to drink out of! ;D I suspect it has more to do with the quality of the wax than anything else.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

olive

You can freeze the jar too, and the wax will come out pretty easily. It gets brittle and pops right out.

Boy was I surprised to see the context of this thread. Not at all what I expected. I thought "well she's finally done it...she's in over her head with the wax."   XD

Oniya

If you don't want your pan to get all waxy, just make sure that the water doesn't come up above the lip of the candle-jar.  You also don't need to bring it to a full boil - it'll take a little longer, but if you watch the edges, you'll see when the outside rim of the wax has melted, and you can scoop the rest of it out.  (Use a pair of tongs to lift it out of the water.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

olive

Quote from: Lilias on September 13, 2011, 09:30:41 AM
I tried scraping the wax off with the blunt edge of a knife, and it came out surprisingly easily.

Don't think because you've solved the problem that we won't keep on "helping." *nodsnodsnods* We're going to need you to put that wax back in and try a few more of our solutions before you declare "mission accomplished."

Lilias

Quote from: olive on September 13, 2011, 09:46:23 AM
You can freeze the jar too, and the wax will come out pretty easily. It gets brittle and pops right out.

Boy was I surprised to see the context of this thread. Not at all what I expected. I thought "well she's finally done it...she's in over her head with the wax."   XD

I may try that with the other jar, which still has some mileage.

That's why the initial disclaimer was necessary... :P
~Wendell Berry

Star Safyre

+1 for freezing. 

And I was almost wondering why this wasn't in Ladies Only.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

InariShiftskin

Quote from: Oniya on September 13, 2011, 09:47:35 AM
If you don't want your pan to get all waxy, just make sure that the water doesn't come up above the lip of the candle-jar.  You also don't need to bring it to a full boil - it'll take a little longer, but if you watch the edges, you'll see when the outside rim of the wax has melted, and you can scoop the rest of it out.  (Use a pair of tongs to lift it out of the water.)

Even better than this, is simply using something like a coffee can with some water in it, inside a pot with more water in it to double boil it. No need to worry about a waxy pot after, since you can just pitch the can.

I make a lot of candles using antique molds that don't open like the modern ones do, so they're a pain to clean. 

As already suggested, freezing also works just as well!

Beguile's Mistress

I was going to tell you that if you don't go dripping wax on people you don't gotta remove it.

olive

It's such a shame that while Lilias was thinking this:

QuoteHow To Remove That Pesky Wax

We're all thinking this:

QuoteHow DO I Remove That Pesky Wax?

It just perplexes me where we get such misguided thoughts. *coughs*

Avis habilis

Hey, who knows but that Martha needs to get wax off people now & again.

She'd leave 'em sated, squeaky clean & smelling fresh to boot.

Beguile's Mistress

As well as providing at least three uses for the left over wax.

Lilias

Sorry, I was away counting how many different colours and scents of wax I have for t'other use *shiftyeyes* That isn't hard to remove - you don't even have to take a knife to it! Most of the time...
~Wendell Berry

Elina

Lilias

Well, yes, but they're much more fun to use just because, than having a need for them... >_>
~Wendell Berry

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Lilias on September 16, 2011, 04:53:20 AM
Well, yes, but they're much more fun to use just because, than having a need for them... >_>
True, that, that's the proper use ;D!

Also, ladies, since you're so helpful, how do you remove wax from a carpet, with the least damage to the carpet itself?
It got there exactly as your dirty minds would suggest you.
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Avis habilis

Depending on what the carpet's made out of, you might be able to lay a few sheets of paper towel over the wax, apply a flat iron on very low heat to re-melt the stuff & let the paper towel absorb it.

I've only ever used that method to get candle wax that got on cotton during utterly mundane activities, but it ought to do the trick here.

Lilias

Quote from: Thufir Hawat on September 16, 2011, 09:02:01 AM
Also, ladies, since you're so helpful, how do you remove wax from a carpet, with the least damage to the carpet itself?
It got there exactly as your dirty minds would suggest you.

Iron it out. No kidding. Put some tissue paper over the wax and iron it on the lowest temperature. Wax melts easily and the paper will absorb it before the heat grows enough to damage the carpet.

I've done it on stockings, which are certainly more flammable, and it worked a charm.
~Wendell Berry

Thufir Hawat

Quote from: Lilias on September 16, 2011, 09:08:10 AM
Iron it out. No kidding. Put some tissue paper over the wax and iron it on the lowest temperature. Wax melts easily and the paper will absorb it before the heat grows enough to damage the carpet.

I've done it on stockings, which are certainly more flammable, and it worked a charm.
Thank you, I can report it worked in this case, too ;)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

Elina

That works with crayon, too.  I used a hairdryer for heat and dabbed it away with a Kleenex.