Non-canon Star Trek game - interest check

Started by RedEve, May 27, 2012, 05:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TyKing

IN the early TNG episodes Geordi would take the CONN(Helm) and Data was Chief Operations officer so he would be at the Operations console which was situated beside the Helm console at the front of the bridge. After Geordi's role became specifically engineer then they would have others at Helm, Ro Laren and Wesley Crusher to name a few. Helm is one of the most boring departments to write though, unless your character can get into flight in a big way.

But I think Muse meant fighter/shuttle pilots which the Akira Class would have due to the flight deck. I think a Flight Wing would be a great edition for character interaction. I'm onboard with the Akira Class.

Anyone have any ideas about a name?

RedEve

"I don't have a dirty mind, I have a sexy imagination."
My ons and offs- My F-list

CAO

Why don't we call it the USS Red River, partly in honor of our host here, since her name is Red.

Muse

The USS Endeavor: For Captain Cook's Ship.   (Someone already suggested that, I think, but I can't find it...) 
The USS Beagle:  For Darwin's ship--and also for Captain Archer's preferred form of pet.  ;) 

We might name Shuttlecraft for Renaissance artists.  (Flight squad of four runabouts:  Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Raphael.  ;)  ) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

:)  Seems Rondok would support the name Calypso.  (He's a diver, after all.) 

From Wikipedia's article on the historical Calypso (originally a mine sweeper): 

Jacques-Yves Cousteau's Calypso (1950–1997)

The Irish millionaire and former MP, Thomas "Loel" Guinness bought Calypso in 1950 and leased it to Cousteau for a symbolic one franc a year. He had two conditions, that Cousteau never ask him for money and that he never reveal his identity, which only came out after Cousteau's death. Cousteau restructured and transformed it into an expedition vessel and support base for diving, filming and oceanographic research.
Calypso carried advanced equipment, including one- and two-man mini submarines developed by Cousteau, diving saucers, and underwater scooters. The ship was also fitted with a see-through "nose", an observation chamber three meters below the waterline, and was modified to house scientific equipment and a helicopter pad. The Calypso underwater camera is named after this ship.
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TyKing

Quote from: Muse on June 12, 2012, 01:22:47 PMWe might name Shuttlecraft for Renaissance artists.  (Flight squad of four runabouts:  Leonardo, Donatello, Michaelangelo, and Raphael.  ;)  )

Or for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles!  ;D

I'm digging the USS Calypso.

Azaria

hmm, awesome stuff been said so far and as I didn't want to say "I do" every time I see something I like, I chose to remain silent  :P

but now I give my vote for USS Calypso as a ship name ^^

AribethAmkiir

I'm fairly indifferent.  To me a name right now isn't as important as it will be after we've begun to create the story that surrounds the ship. 

Calypso sounds pretty though.

CAO

I'm still on board with the USS Red River, but looks like opinion is against me on this one.. As for the suggestion of runabouts, they would not make good fighter craft. A fighter craft has to be agile and moble, quick and stealthy. Some principals will likely always remain the same, my suggestion is that they be a spin off of the delta flyer that Tom Paris built in Voyager. A second or third generation delta flyer I don't think would be out of the question. I am on board with the names though, sounds good.

Brandon

Im kind of partial to the USS Elliquiy. You know that we would grow into an interplanetary phenomena by the 2400s  ;D
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

TyKing

A Delta Flyer is too large to be used as a fighter. Delta Flyers are faster, more heavily armored shuttles. I think we could have one of them but for a flight wing we'd need something smaller. There's two or three choices for Star Trek fighters on the web. Here's a Raven Class fighter.

Specs:
Type: Long Range Interceptor
Overall Length: 16.75 meters
Overall Beam: 10.75 meters
Overall Draft: 3.9 meters
Crew: 1 Pilot

Propulsion
Engagement Speeds: .75c
Atmospheric Cruise: Mach 7
Atmospheric Max: Mach 14
Normal Warp Cruise: Warp 4
Maximum Warp: Warp 8

Defensive Systems
Phasers: 2 Type X (1 arc, aft, fore)
Pulse Phaser Cannons: 2
Micro torpedo launcher: 1

Shields and Armor
Armor: Ablative, Crystalline Hybrid Hull
Primary Shielding; Multiadaptive Shields
Special: Interphase Cloaking System

CAO

I'm sorry I thought the delta flyers were smaller than that and more agile. But if the raven will do a better job, I'm all for it. I still advocate for like a next generation type of craft. Perhaps something that allows maneuverability at better speeds, or even the adaption of cloaking technology for the element of surprise.

Kate

OK

ship name ? => Don't care. As long as it isnt the USS Enterprise, all good in my book

With the fighters vs shutters / which fighters ... guys really ? She did choose that is a "pseduo"
carrier of sorts ie has room for a few, is it ok if that is resolved in OOC later ?
(doesnt really have to be resoled before IC starts right ? we not starting IN the middle of a battle I hope :) )

Remember I am not even sure if the ship has the "psychic module" my character thinks the ship may have
(She could have been lied to / it may not be working. I have no idea of details about it. We can cross those bridges later I feel.)

Lets go ! :)

Brandon

I agree Im eager to get started. The assault shuttles or whatever they are can be figured out later, if they need to be figured out at all. I dont think we have a pilot for them so I dont think it matters either
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

RedEve

Well I guess all that is left is for us to discuss the starting point of the game? I assume the ship would be well into the Gamma Quadrant already at the outset of the game?

Kate

Yeah that may be easiest, so your into thread can be minimalistic, a brief summary of the mission particulars, anything we have stumbled upon or experienced so far..

TyKing

CAO

I would agree with that, if they were on a 5 or 7 year mission and about 1 to 3 years into it, I think that is acceptable. It allows our characters to be a bit more flexible but we'll have to agree on some common events that occurred in the past. If we have the ship start off by leaving DS9 and enter into the Gamma Quadrant, then it leaves us less flexible, but the same result is ahcived, they've all had the same experience in terms of ship wide events.

@ Kate: Part of my char's profile is that he doubles as an intelligence officer. Perhaps it could be his job to oversee the construction and implementation of these emitters and to study how they'd react. Of course Star Fleet would also be interested in possible other uses and we'd have to wrestle with the ethical dilemmas of those choices. Because basically, they could be used improperly in terms of mind and even social control. If one could imagine having your thoughts scanned for "undesirable material"

Kate

CAO,

happy to have your character more aware of these experimental sensor arrays that use a strong empath / telepath as a component
(could be one main charge your captain gave you.) You need to confirm with Red though for that to be ok, (seems fine for me,
reasons for us to all talk to each other is better than us all going in different places in the ship having heaps of unrelated sub-plots).

Perhaps some weird highly fragile experimental probes the carrier deck can launch to extend these "sensor fields" or put up a "psi-shield" is something
your entrusted to take care of. Certainly warrants an intel officer on board.

RedEve

I started the OOC and IC threads, since you were all so eager to get started.

The IC intro post is pretty basic.

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=142945.0

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=142944.0

Etah dna Evol

Are you still accepting new members? I would be very interested in playing a young changeling Starfleet graduate that is very good at changing into humanoid forms, but doesn't know how to change into anything else. Would love to serve as the Anthropology and Archeology Officer. On the bridge I can sit at one of the science terminals and I can join away teams to help them understand new cultures. Would be an expert on cultural development and practices.

Let me know if this is acceptable and I will come up with a fairly badass character.

By the way I am assuming this is set just after the ending of Deep Space 9.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

Kate

may need a captain ... (my candidate character)

Name: Vanessa Grhlesh
Race: Romulan
Role/Rank: Captain
Personality:

Unlike Vulcans Romulans accept passion as an inspirational ally and although vulcans and romulans can look very simular this difference in idiology makes them everything but.

Hot-heated to even human standards, the Romulan mind is neverthe-less refined in the matters
of logic. Vanessa is one that doesn't enjoy tangents and prefers to get the job done, herself
promoted and those that served the cause well, and with captain titles of their own.

Vanessa cares little for romance but does believe the romulan empire will do best if association with the Federation is stronger tan what it is and beleives an example could help tip elders in the Romulan
empire to rethink their proud stance. The idea of a cloaking device not being on board the ship frustrates this Captain no end, as like most romulans beleives any technological edge not used, its an ace wasted to further weaknesses.

Neverthe-less she is silently impressed with what the current ship can do (although she will
not tell others), especially due to the flexibility its increased flight deck offers.

She is abrupt, to the point and almost always is found at the bridge going through war plans
with commanding officers.

The is not well liked among the officers and staff alike due to how many evaculation and war drills
at akward hours she imposes on the crew. still all know it makes them good, and due to such a stance she has lost left lives under her command than others which has seen as much war as she.

Her most notable achievement was overseeing a brillinantly executed withdrawal and evacuation of two planets in the front line of a borg offence, done without planning or warning. All those serving with her in previous missions have returned with promotions beyond their expectation.  As hard as she may be to deal with personally, her reports on others she feeds to admirality are glowing, all know this which is why most bite their tounge during her emotional bursts and yet another drill.

Kate

Candidate Captain

Name: Vicky Lansdil
Role/Rank: Captain

Personality

Calm, and more politically balanced than impressive tactically, Vicky has excelled in being able to inspire her crew to perform beyond expectations. More lenient than most Captains, Vicky has a natural knack of being able to guess despite having little or no information on some subjects.

"Lucky Vicky" became a coin termed by high brass when her previous ship, an explorer vessel  had a run-in with a Horogin hunting gang. Ship Records of her vessel weaving through the atmosphere of an unstable gas giants while two horrogin ships chased them is something most officers have seen personally  or at least heard of.

So much electric discharges made sensors more or less ineffective and seemingly insane requests from her to her pilot to enter this gas cloud then another managed to find the horrogin ships struck by lightning enough times for their sensors to be offline long enough for her ship the "USS Elon" to make it back into a secret Federation Spaceport without being tracked or followed.

The horrogin are extremely advanced race of hunters, none believed the ship's stories until its black box was shown to those curious enough to check.

She has been on leave for about a year due to family issues

RedEve

I've received a CS from both Scribbles and Kate now.
In the interest of moving along the thread, I won't delay my decision too long. With that, I award the command to Kate. :)

Thanks for the effort you put into your own CS, Scribbles.