Gauging Interest: The Return of Overwatch

Started by Inerrant Lust, May 11, 2017, 12:01:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juggtacular

Would it be possible for one of our OC's to be related to or know a canon?

As Hanzo is 38 and Genji is 35, it would've been possible for their father to birth a third son at some point, but one to be kept away from his older brothers to keep him out of the strife their feud was causing or something like that.

If it's allowable of course. If not I'll come up with something else.

Guancyto

I mean, with all these super-soldiers and science experiments and murderbots and heavily-armed thugs around...

...I wonder if it would be fun or disruptive to play a completely normal human who gets swept up in superpowered antics.

Does the new Overwatch need support staff besides Athena? I feel like the OW equivalent of Miss Pauling is needed.

Inerrant Lust

Juggtacular: That might be possible, considering Hanzo appears to have renounced the Shimada clan if he has to sneak into their castle just to make offerings to his brother... Could be a third son was sired and then kept secret, or was maybe a bastard.

Makes sense. The elders of the Shimada felt like Genji was faffing about too much and so ordered Hanzo to deal with him. His younger son was apparently killed but this left Hanzo deeply remorseful. It looks like Hanzo was so distraught that he abandoned the Shimada... Which leaves the elders shit outta luck for heirs to his Yakuza empire. So maybe their father had an illegitimate son hanging around to legitimize or bring to light.

TvTropes lists Genji/Hanzo's fight as occurring in 2066, which appears to be about 10 years prior to the 'current day'... depending on how old you want the character.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Timeline/Overwatch

Actually, it looks like Genji dismantled the Shimada when he joined Overwatch... given that Hanzo doesn't recognize him in the Brothers short, it seems like he wasn't around for the dismantling.

Guan: Tracer is human! As is McCree and Hanzo and D.Va and Lucio and Sym and so on! :P Presumably a support staff is still required and I'm fine with 'non-combat' characters... It looks like Winston was more of a support team type guy when it was still a thing.

Juggtacular

And the baby brother could either be the force that brings the Shimada back into the black spotlight, or tries to rebuild them into something his brothers would be proud of after Hanzo left and Genji took them out.

Angie

I agree with as little gore as possible, and don't worry, I know how to use it to good effect. Heck, if you've ever seen Drive, you know the focus wasn't the gore, but rather the sheer fury of Ryan Gosling's character as he demolishes the assassin (although it does get bloody in other scenes, but you get the idea). Like, I'll do one really good scene where the focus is more on just how much of a different man Dean is these days and the gore will be there, and then after that it's like people don't even have blood.

I didn't even realize I was swiping most of Umbrella's story with Wholesale. At least this time I took the time to give them something they actually made-seriously, you barely find any proof that Umbrella actually makes shit besides giant monsters :P

Also, the sheet reflects him more at the start. He might eventually become more open to the idea of being smutty and sexy, but right now, he's still hurtin' pretty bad. As Mercy and other members of Overwatch help him, well, he'll evolve, of course.

Also, enjoy this adorable Overwatch animation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWja_zn_ftc
Avatar is by Lemonfont. Will remove it if he asks me to.

Come check the Cyberpunk Images Thread!

TotesRider

Hm okay. What if Zeke was an Overwatch scientist? While working on a gel like substance, he mostly used his chemistry knowledge in the background. Never really going out into combat and never really getting much recognition and mostly helping other agent's with their own gadgets and such. At one point he manages to develop a device that envelopes the user in the gel to be used as armor in emergency situations (riot policing, etc etc). The initial tests went fine on some metal frames. However the human tests went a bit sour with a couple subjects getting seriously injured or burned.

I'm thinking he finally gets fed up and uses the device on himself. But a few miscalculations cause his body to permanently fuse with the gel like substance and over time his actual body dissolves. Essentially his selfish quest for glory and fame wound up turning him into a goo-man.

Angie

I can see right after the goo thing happens, this conversation:

Winston: "you're a dumbass."
Zeke: "but i am made of goo now!*bouncebounce*"
Winston: "what have we learned?"
Zeke: "to iron out the beta bugs before trying anything like this."

TheFourthShade

So my idea is an Omnic.  I don't really see what could go wrong.

Reactress

Codename:   Reactress
Age:               Predates the War with the Omnics by at least three years.
Nationality:  American (first place she was turned on)
Occupation:  Mercenary, Omnic Special Detachment (Former), Actor (Former)
Base:             As of yet, a  Prison Cell.
Affiliation:  Mercenary, Former Null Sector Terrorist
Relations:    Tracer (Grateful for being spared)
Description: A slim and relatively normal looking omnic in most circumstances, Reactress can add parts as well as use holodisguises to appear like just about anyone or any Omnic.

Strengths:      Excellent close range fighter with powerful concealed weapons, competent at other weaponry.  Disguise system is nearly perfect; can even stand up to touch.
Weaknesses:  Not excessively durable, disguise system flickers and fails against gunshots and more powerful attacks.  Disguise system is only as good as her knowledge of the target.

Ons/Offs:  For the right price, just about anything.  No torture or snuff.  She has too much self-preservation. 

Biography:  The Unit designated 4CTR355 was an Omnic prototype designed to sell the concept of Omnics as more than just laborers and combat drones to rich investors.  Hollywood Directors, tired of actors and actresses who would demand large paychecks and often have trouble taking direction perfectly, were glad to foot the (suspiciously low) bill once they saw 4CTR355 in action.

Using advanced holotechnology to emulate human expression and form (and feel),  4CTR355 was always billed as an actor or actress that hadn't shown up before.  No one wanted to be caught having used an Omnic, especially without actually paying...it?  So, naturally, 4CTR355 was a dirty secret that had to be kept.

After the production was over, that 'person' would 'die' or 'go missing', no body would be found, and 4CTR355 would change to fill a new role.

This worked for about four movies.  Really, in general, the public might have kept enjoying the 'show' for ages, but an energetic young police investigator who had something against the director who was using 4CTR355 started digging.

It took a year for evidence to emerge, but it got out nonetheless.  4CTR355 was ambushed at a press conference and a fault in her programming was used against her to force her to unveil her true identity.  The leading actress in the latest box office smash hit went from instant fame to public enemy number one.   4CTR355 ended up being sold to the government for research.

The War with the Omnics started the next year and, to put it politely, she was a fervent supporter.

4CTR355 was liberated and joined the Omnic Special Detachment, using her technology to scout, infiltrate, and sabotage the efforts of humanity.  In the latter days of the fighting, she ended up having to join some of the more desperate defenses, but ultimately chose to escape rather than die fighting.  Naturally, she joined Null Sector when the chance came to get vengeance.

During the King's Row Uprising, she was nearly terminated by a pulse bomb.

At the behest of Tracer, she was counseled by a priest of the Iris. 

(And I haven't made up the rest yet)

ShadowFox89

Mad science means never stopping to ask "what could possibly go wrong?"
Call me Shadow
My A/A

Inerrant Lust

Juggtacular: If it pleases you.

Angie: I was wondering myself if I should include a scene of bloody murder or something for dramatic effect. Maybe for a face reveal of Reaper, since who knows what he looks like under that mask... but even though, it doesn't seem necessary. Also, I think the mystery of Reaper's true appearance is more intriguing than the truth ever could be. So... *big shrug*

Oh! What I said to Totes is totally applicable to Dean too. One of the things that came to mind when you said Dean found out about his family being killed from his boss... made me think that maybe they aren't dead after all. Or that they were targeted. The other thing that came to mind was that perhaps he was abducted intentionally. If I were an evil pharmaceutical company, I'd kidnap some homeless people off the street rather than a Forensic scientist with wife and a kid, a boss and lots of people that presumably would go searching for him if he went missing. The idea that came to mind was that perhaps Dean was getting too close to Talon for their comfort so they had him dealt with.

The intelligent thing to do would be to just kill him but maybe they were trying to recreate their success with widowmaker's modifications or something, eh?

I'm a katsuwatch fan, myself. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyyeYR492k4&t=79s

TotesRider: If you'd like. Don't feel obligated to listen to me, by the way! I was just suggesting my own thoughts, late at night, when I'm liable to just ramble on anyways. I can say that connects him more to the old cast of scientists like Mercy and Winston. An idea that comes to mind is that the procedure seems like something he could have ended up using when Overwatch's Swiss headquarters was destroyed, possibly as a last resort. The blast evidently left Jack scarred and Reaper in a really bad way. If Zeke was caught up in the worst of it, using the device could have been his only hope for survival. Heck, maybe he was right at ground zero trying to disable the bomb or something... I dunno, I'm just spitballing ideas, feel free to use or ignore them. I like the character and just feel compelled to offer my input. :P

TheFourthShade: Death to all humans! I feel like Talon would try to bail her out of jail for some nefarious purpose and Overwatch would offer her a suicide squad type pardon for her cooperation.... Pretty interesting idea, though. I guess the technology works like that droid from Force Unleashed that could project a hard light hologram over itself?

Shadowfox89: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmndVpJrW8

Broken

Codename: Kirin
Nationality: Japanese
Base: Tokyo, Japan
Affiliation: Tsumori Augmentation(Former)
Relations: Dr.Tsumori(Father/Deceased)
Description: Standing at 5,5" Tsumori Is short but well toned and flexible. With a very off-putting appearance of Blue colored skin, and augmented eye's that give him a very inhuman appearance.
Biography: Yin Tsumori was the son of a robotics scientist and Neurological Doctor. Dr.Tsumori was the leading researcher in the augmentation of the human form, and was inspired into this field when his son was born with no vision. Yin received Omnic Augmented eye's to be able to see, and from there his father felt like he could bridge the gap between human and Omnic more with this research. Obviously; this drew the wrong attention and rubbed certain groups the wrong way.
In a direct Terrorist attack, Dr.Tsumori's son was in the middle of an explosion that cost him his human life. Stricken with Guilt; the Doctor set to bring back his son. Making new body parts, graphing synthetic skin, and doing everything he could to get his son's life back. But in Grief came hatred, for the Doctor did more than just rebuild his son, he made him into a weapon. He made giant Claw gauntlets, A Tesla activated machine, and incorporated the highly volatile prototype works of Neo-Energy. Red electric power that has been shown to have a lot of destructive force.
However, before he could flip the switch, the doctor was captured by agents of Talon, along with the finishings of his son. The Doctor refused to show them how to use his son as a weapon, and that cost him his life. However, in his last few moments of life; he activated his son. And upon seeing his dying father; went on a rampage in a Talon installation. Destroying so much that the place was rendered desolate. Since then, with no purpose, and no one to rely on, he went on his own. The only use he found for himself was to be what he was made to do...Be a weapon.
Strengths: Heavy Damage Dealer that can traverse terrain quickly.
Abilities
Neo-Energy Field/Charge
Kirin has a passive damaging field, whenever he is close to enemies, they will take damage over time from his field. Which along with his normal attacks of swiping and attacking with his gauntlets, will charge his Energy that makes his other abilities stronger and more damaging.
Fabric Tear
A Shotgun like blast that comes out from a slash of his gauntlets, sending three curves of energy outward in a cone. It takes 25% of his energy to do so, but the higher his energy level, the more damaging it becomes.
Dimensional Leap
The Ability to create portals across battlefields for himself. However, a Portal can be used only Twice. Meaning Kirin can jump through along with one other or he can jump back for a surprise attack and quick escape. The higher energy level he has, the longer the distance the portals can travel. Takes up 50% of his energy each time.
Revenger Ball
Kirin's ultimate ability that has three stages of use. Using 25% Energy allows him to fire a medium size ball of condensed Neo Energy at a target which causes a small AOE explosion and momentary Stun if directly hit. At stage Two, with 75% energy used a ball that is larger and takes up the size of the entire palm surface area of one gauntlet is fired, causing a bigger damage splash and a second longer stun that deals twice as much damage. Then; at 100% Energy level, Both Gauntlets are used to channel a massive Ball of Neo-Energy that is then launched on a destructive path, once it hits a flat surface area or hit's organic tissue it explodes in a massive area, dealing massive amounts of destruction and paralyzing foes caught in the blast for a moderate amount of time.
Weaknesses: Can't take on entire groups solo, Needs Support's when in long term fights, Long ranged Enemies.
Ons/Offs: MxF, Sub And Dom depending on Partner.

Angie

There is certainly the possibility that Talon is involved in a deeper level. I hate to shout CONSPIRACY! like I'm in Metal Gear Solid, but it's possible that Talon had its hooks in Dean's police department and his work was fingering Talon agents for crimes. So, they abduct him and hand him off to Wholesale, which probably has a partnership with Talon-live bodies for cold, hard cash. Unlike Widowmaker, no one really recognizes Dean, they had to use DNA to realize it was him (and even then, they had to use hair, thanks to the Titan-Slayer chemical blood is no help in identifying him). Also unlike Widowmaker, he's out to demolish Talon rather than being a total devoted slave to them.

That said...I think all this should be under "GM notes". If it does happen, I'd rather it be a surprise to as many people as possible and not give the secret away in Dean's sheet.

By the by, it's amazing Talon even still has agents, considering how many of us are blowing them up in our backstories...

Inerrant Lust

Oh, there is TOTALLY a conspiracy.

And yeah, I'm just spitballing ideas here. Feel free to use and ignore them as you please. :P

TheFourthShade

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on May 12, 2017, 12:55:19 PM
TheFourthShade: Death to all humans! I feel like Talon would try to bail her out of jail for some nefarious purpose and Overwatch would offer her a suicide squad type pardon for her cooperation.... Pretty interesting idea, though. I guess the technology works like that droid from Force Unleashed that could project a hard light hologram over itself?

As to the former, it would really depend on where the needs of the plot fall.  As to the latter, that's my best guess on the matter.

Sessha

So this has sparked my interest as well. I was kind of thinking of a character who uses tech but on a whole different level. Like he or she through a combination of mystical study and application of physics becomes a sort of "Technomage"
Locked, cocked and ready to rock!

Premier

Codename: Firebug
Nationality: Australian
Base: The Outback
Affiliation: Junkers(Testy at best), Overwatch(Brief Member)
Relations: Junkrat/Roadhog (Used to be friends, fucked me over good!), Reinhardt (Recruited me originally, a good lad)
Description: An impressive 6 foot tall, Brianna usually blames the outbacks radiation for how she's sprouted up over the years and kept real fit, it's not like she eats right after all. Her hairs naturally black but she dyes it a rust red these days.
Biography: She grew up in the outback as a kid scavving, scraping up whatever junk she could find and selling it on to anyone with the will and cash to buy it. Anyone welshing on the payment would soon find the girl had an affinity for a fire and that their stuff had mysteriously caught fire.  Sometimes she'd go out with a young junkrat still learning their explosive game and combine it with her affinity for flames to try blow and burn some of the tougher nuts open and sell on whatever wasn't a charred husk after they were done. They got along well enough, at least until they got older and Brianna got recruited.

Overwatch in their aim for World peace was doing outreach to the Junkers and Brianna was judged as one of the more stable individuals to approach, so Reinhardt did the honors during Mech-Bash 27 taking her on in her dodgy fire-rig and offering her a chance to make a suit that isn't a junker special. She couldn't really say no to that and firebug had an illustrious 1 year career in Overwatch before it quickly became apparent that she still had a soft spot for her old friends, though they didn't for her. She went easy on Junkrat and their new bodyguard when she caught them trying to steal tanks of Omnite from a federal reserve in Australia and in return they pretty much blew the whole facility sky high and left her with a disaster of an operation on her head. She was kicked out shortly after because her inclusion was threatening the Omnic peace accord and headed back to the Outback, where she found nobody had time for her anymore so she's living where she can, trying to do some good amongst all the bad and wandering from place to place as the Junkers drive her out or ask her to go, hoping to find anyone who'll have her now.

Then she got a call she was never expecting and well if Overwatch wanted her back, she needed a home. Couldn't fuck it up twice in a row right?

Strengths: Incredible area denial, quick bursts of rocket speed, overcharging her thermal lance gives her flames that'll cut through almost anything. Shields, Armour, Ice-walls, ANYTHING.
Weaknesses: Long reload time and immobilized while reloading, getting her to use up her firepower and getting her while she's low is the trick here.
Ons/Offs: Aw hell she'll try anything at least once!

Major Major

I'm interested, but in a different way.

Inerrant Lust

Sessha: That sounds interesting. Technology is already so advanced to be magic, and Zenyatta taps into the 'Iris' or whatever that is...

Premier: I love it.

Major Major: How so? :P

Major Major

I been experimenting with a character design to follow up on a plot hook that hasn't been nibbled on since the Recall video.

The character is a police officer assigned to an international taskforce to go after the Overwatch agents that responded to Winston's Recall notification.

Chulanowa

Quote from: Inerrant Lust on May 13, 2017, 10:27:29 PM
Sessha: That sounds interesting. Technology is already so advanced to be magic, and Zenyatta taps into the 'Iris' or whatever that is...

Premier: I love it.

Major Major: How so? :P

Zenyatta's nothing. Symmetra literally creates tangible matter, with mass, out of photons, using only her mind. I'm no physicist but creating one of her turrets ought to release enough energy to wipe out the dinosaurs a few times over.

Juggtacular

-Also points to the giant green and blue spirit dragons the ninja brothers can summon-

TheFourthShade

Mercy can make people NOT BE DEAD.

Also Ana's bullets are advanced enough to not only CARRY at least the basic ingredients for both a heal and a harm drug, but also contain an IFF while still being small and light enough that an elderly (albeit rather in shape) woman can operate the rifle they fire out of without difficulty or loss of accuracy.

Honestly, thinking about how Ana's bullets/grenades have a functioning IFF system strains my disbelief more than Mercy making the dead not be dead.

Angie

The more you think about what the Overwatch crew can do, the more it hurts.

I think in Ana's case the IFF is probably implanted or worn by her teammates. We don't ever see her using it on innocent civilians, only in battle, so it's possible she passes out IFF chips before a mission along with grandma candy (frick yes).

Premier

Mercy also managed to somehow bring Reaper back to life but as a sentient cloud?

Shit got weird.

Inerrant Lust

A few things I didn't come up with because I was a bit busy getting ready to visit family.

I was trying to think of how to explain my thoughts about OCs but I couldn't think of a way until now. My only concern about them having ties to canonical characters would be if it detracts or significantly alters those pre-existing characters. Since the idea for a third Shimada brother is that he was kept in secret and allows for both existing characters to still do stuff, it's fine. It even enhances their plot, I think!

Though I think Talon might be more interested in this third brother than Overwatch would... :P

Also, Premier! The tvtropes timeline has Overwatch disbanding at about 2071, while this game takes place at 2076. Not sure how that factors into Firebug's brief stay with Overwatch but I thought I'd make a note of it.

Major Major: I like this idea... Caught in the middle of Talon and Overwatch, there's a world that wants nothing to do with either of them.  ::)