Remove the pan/bisexual options? (and general discussion)

Started by Vekseid, March 14, 2010, 07:21:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vekseid

Given the discussion here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=49765.0

It was pointed out that andro/gyno/etc. refer specifically to an attraction to a specific gender, not necessarily to the exclusion of others. To describe yourself as heterosexual, for example, you would check one and specifically avoid the others.

This also makes bisexual/pansexual sortof a moot point. A bisexual would check both andro- and gyno- boxes, for example. Removing these would also simplify building a search matrix when comparing people, so I am rather leaning towards the idea. Simplifying both in terms of being faster to write and faster to run searches.

But I'm also interested in what people's thoughts are. I realize it's a bit confusing and for a few people a bit jarring.

So, thoughts/commentary/

Autumn Sativus

I would prefer if the option for bisexual/pansexual was left as an option. I think that rather than andro/gyno, it may be easier to have 'hetero' and 'homo' as the options. Straight people can be straight, Gay people can be gay, Bi can be Bi, Pan can be Pan, etc. It seems to me like you're complicating it way more than it needs to be. It was fine the way it was the first time, but checkboxes would've been better than radio buttons.

It seems like these 'check here' O/Os are slowly taking over the actual creativity and writing of an O/O page, where you can describe more in-depth about what types of characters/sexualities you play.
Us against the world
Just a couple sinners making fun of hell

~~A&A(updated March 2021)~~Tales~~Wants~~O&O~~Wiki~~

Vekseid

Kip suggested to remove the various 'sexual' terms and just have 'attracted to'. I think I'm going to ditch this as the bitching has already reached a certain keen. "When will the search be ready? Why are there checkboxes? I'm neither male nor female, how do I get represented? This is all too complex, why not hetero and homosexual?"

... -_-

grdell

It is complex... but then, so is human sexuality. There are many different ways to represent things, all of them basically arbitrary.

I say pick one system and stick with it. Nothing's going to be perfect, and nothing's going to satisfy every eventuality. Besides, isn't this just meant to be something of a guideline, anyway? It's not meant to be the end-all, be-all definition of a person's sexuality, right?

Or am I missing the point?
"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Beguile's Mistress

I've voted to leave the options because removing them would not help.  It would only penalize those who see the value in them and would use them.

I don't now, nor did I ever, want anything removed.  I simply want the ability to described my characters as I see them and not a someone tells me I must.  I want to be considered on the same level as everyone else.

Vekseid

I want something simple, inclusive, and powerful (for searching). It's a 'pick two' sort of thing, but I think I've got a way to simplify it a bit further. Will be posting a new version shortly.

Gadifriald

I'm not sure if this is the right thread or the one I clicked the link in is but I do have some thoughts. It seems like there was an oversight on the consideration of people's familiarity and comfort with terms applied to something that is very fundemental, their sexuality. Many define their characters by themselves and are familiar with the term heterosexual to define themselves and their characters. The same can be said with the terms bisexual and pansexual which are familiar and known to most people. To replace familiar terms with obscure terms that most are unfamiliar with can cause confusion and discomfort for members who are in and of themselves heterosexual, bisexual and pansexual.
Gynosexual and androsexual are unfimiliar terms to most people (including myself) while heterosexual, bisexual and pansexual are familiar terms that people are comfortable with.
I am a mighty ravisher of captive damsels and princesses!

Vekseid

I've replaced the -sexual terms with something that I hope people will find simpler. This is also a lot easier for me to build a default search filter with, so if this removes some confusion and simplifies things, so much the better.

grdell

"A million people can call the mountains a fiction, yet it need not trouble you as you stand atop them." ~XKCD

My Kinsey Scale rating: 4; and what that means in terms of my gender identity. My pronouns: he/him.

My Ons and Offs, current stories, story ideas, Apologies and Absences - Updated 28 Jan 2024.

Vekseid

You edit them here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php :-p

Editing straight from your profile... I'll put that in as something for next software version >_>

HockeyGod

Drake Valentine

I was going to edit things to mine and make changes, but it isn't any longer working; well the little box checking thingies.  >.> Not sure if you were adjusting it again or something.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Kip

Quote from: Drake Valentine on March 14, 2010, 09:26:59 PM
I was going to edit things to mine and make changes, but it isn't any longer working; well the little box checking thingies.  >.> Not sure if you were adjusting it again or something.

Just checked mine and tried making changes and it saved them.  Try clearing your cookies and restarting your browser and see if it resolves.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

Vekseid

Quote from: Drake Valentine on March 14, 2010, 09:26:59 PM

Oh. You need to shift + refresh as I had updated the javascript. Or wait an hour >_> Sorry.

Drake Valentine

I went ahead with Veskeid's suggestion and it works fine now. Thanks for the help from both of you though, I keep forgetting the issue I have to thoroughly refresh or wait for things to come into effect.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Cythieus