Pathfinder: wrath of the righteous interest check

Started by Tamhansen, January 19, 2014, 09:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamhansen

Okay. This is something new for me, so please bear with me, (or bare with me if you're comfortable) as I lay bare my idea.

Some of you may recognize the post title as the title of Paizo's currently running published adventure path, Wrath of the righteous. Now my idea is to run this adventure path, with some tweaking.

This adventure path will make use of the mythic rules later on, but starts out with the standard character creation rules. Well one of the standards anyway.

Level 1.
No evil characters
1) 25 point-buy for attributes, no score above 18 or below 7, before racial adjustments.
2) Races allowed: Core races are automatically accepted, any other races (Only those of 15RP or less) will be handled on a case by case basis
3) Classes allowed: All Paizo published except Gunslinger, Summoner, Ninjas and Samurais. (Advanced class guide again on a case by case)
4) No Campaign trait (but see seeds of a myth below).
5) No other traits, but two extra feat taken from the following list: Acrobatic, Alertness, Animal Affinity, Athletic, Breadth of Experience, Cosmopolitan, Deceitful, Deft Hands, Fast Learner, Great Fortitude, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Magical Aptitude, Persuasive, Self-Sufficient, Stealthy, Skill Focus.
6) Your skill selection should reflect, to an extent, your current occupation in Kenabres.
7) Average starting cash.

Humble Beginnings
The gods are whimsical some would say, others would claim that none can fathom their greater plan. Though you are destined for greatness, your upbringing and current occupation don’t reflect that higher calling. Though you came to Kenabres to serve in the Crusade, things have not turned out for the best as of yet. You might be working in a seedy kitchen cleaning dishes, behind a bar serving drinks, walking the beat chasing small time crooks, pulling cheap prestidigitation tricks as a street performer, doing shabby translations of dusty tomes in a small library, prostituting yourself in a small brothel or cleaning houses to earn a living. You have not reached your potential, and have started to lose hope, thinking that your contribution will never make it into the history books.

The Seed of a Myth
The six campaign traits in the book are linked to the six mythic tiers, but I prefer them to be just roleplaying aids, so you can pick one regardless of your intended mythic path.

Chance Encounter: You once found yourself behind enemy lines in the Worldwound. You probably never would have made it back home if not for the help of a mysterious woman who helped you trick your way through a group of cultists. The woman never told you her name, but you remember her beauty and a deep sense of sadness she seemed to carry with her. She wore a symbol of Desna and often held onto it without seeming to realize it. She left your side a few moments before you were picked up by a patrol of crusaders, and you’ve never seen her again.
    Child of the Crusade: Members of your family have long been members of the crusade. The righteousness of the crusades sometimes feels as if it runs in your very blood, and it bolsters you against demonic influence. Your parents’ zeal and devotion to the crusade is the primary reason you feel the same way.
    Exposed to Awfulness: When you were a child, you were nearly slain by a demon that managed to make its way through the wardstones into the lands beyond. The demon was slain before it could kill you, but you lingered at death’s door in a coma for weeks before waking. Ever since then, you’ve been unusually hale and hearty, as if your body had endured its brush with awfulness by becoming supernaturally fit. But still, the scars (whether physical or purely mental) of your brush with death remain, and nightmares of what could have happened often plague your sleep.
    Riftwarden Orphan: You bear a strange birthmark on your body—something you’ve learned is the Sign of the Seeker’s Spiral, a rune associated with the secret society known as the Riftwardens. You have researched this rune, and have learned that the mark sometimes appears on the children of Riftwardens who have been exposed to particularly strange planar energies. Unfortunately, you never knew your parents, for you were raised by a foster family.
    Stolen Fury: You were forced to take part in a demonic ritual as a youth after having been captured by cultists. Whatever the ritual’s purpose may have been, it didn’t work out the way your captors envisioned before you escaped to safety. Ever since, you’ve been haunted by strange nightmares about the ritual, and have long felt that the energies it bathed you in have changed you.
    Touched by Divinity: As long as you can remember, you’ve had an unexplainable interest in one deity in particular. You’ve always felt calm and at ease in places holy to the deity, and often have dreams about the god or goddess visiting you—most often in the form of a sacred animal or creature.

What I'd expect from players:
- Posting speed: minimum of three posts a week, preferably more (slow posting is the source of campaigns dying in my experience)
- Posting length: This being a system game, some posts will be no more than mechanics, but try to make RP posts at least four or five lines unless a short post is more logical.
- Inform: If you are going to be posting less for a period, please inform me. A pm is sent quite quickly.
- Interest: This campaign can take a few months, please do not apply if you do not intend to stick with it. (things can happen, but I'd hate to disappoint a player for someone who bails in a week or two.

Applications must contain the following.

- Filled out Character sheet. (Myth-weavers has a free online one, that does most of the math for you.)
- Character image. (please make sure this is allowed to be used for non commercial purposes, or if it's your own work, submitting it will give me the right to use it as such. (As I'll be using your images on maps and such)
- Background. This for me will be the most important selection criterium. A helpful tool might be the free wrath of the righteous player's guide available from Paizo itself.
- Mythic path choice. (You can find more info on this on the pathfinder SRD.

Any other questions please ask here. I will pick a maximum of five players, I might start another table in the future, but for now I'm sticking with one.
ons and offs

They left their home of summer ease
Beneath the lowland's sheltering trees,
To seek, by ways unknown to all,
The promise of the waterfall.

Ghostwheel

Name: Ness
Class: Sorcerer
Race: Human
Seed of a Myth: Child of the Crusade
Mystic Path: Archmage

Background:
The demonic invasion and the ensuing pillaging and slaughter of the demons took its toll on families. Mothers, fathers, and children all wiped out within moments, and the number of refugees escaping from the towns-turned-to-battlefields was immense. Soldiers returned home missing limbs and more, changed forever from the struggle. But some brought back something from the battlefield. One soldier in particular brought something back to his wife that he never could have imagined--a child, orphaned and alone towards the end of the Third Crusade.

Jarl brought back the boy, and his wife Melna who had already suffered three miscarriages at the hands of the gods, welcomed the boy. The two decided to raise him as their own--after all, the orphanages were packed and could handle few more, and were dirty places with little food, and the two were able to have no children of their own. With this matter settled, Jarl resolved not to go to war again--after all, the demons had been pushed back, right? That had been the second, and final crusade... or so he thought.

Ness, as the couple named him, had been too young to remember his own family. Despite the love that his new parents showered him with, he was bullied mercilessly by the other kids who could tell there was something... a little off about him. As though he were not entirely human, as though he were marked somehow. Slowly becoming an outcast, the child grew gruff and dour, closed off to the world... until he learned what power his speech could have. Placing groups of children against each other with a carefully placed word, causing discord and shifting the center of attention from him, he slowly became confident and slowly began to form him own group.

Enjoyment at being the center of attention, Ness grew up and slowly his arcane powers came into their own. He was able freeze children in place, cause them harm when he needed to, with a wave of his hand and a pointed finger. Yet all that ended when he went too far and hurt a child seriously. His parents heard of his deed, and he was kept in-doors for a time, yet the guilt of hurting another to that extent weighed heavily on his soul. He was a changed person when he returned to the groups, and focused on joining the others together rather than tearing them apart.

This continued for many years until the Fourth Crusade started. Already a young man, Ness heard from of the demons coming together to tear apart everything he knew and held dear. With a weary sigh, his Father, Jarl, declared that he would stop the demons at their doorstep and protect his family, and despite Ness's pleads forbid the young man to join them. He left, and that was the last they had heard of him.

And then the demons came, swift and with a mighty roar. Ness tried to get his friends and mother to safety, but watched as one by one they were cut down. Just before he himself was about to be struck down by a brutish demon bearing an infernal weapon the counterattack began. The army had arrived, and were able to push back the invasion, but the cost was almost unbearable. Despondent and left with little, Ness left his ruined home, the second time in his life that he found himself with nothing.

Leaving with the army to the city of Kenabres, Ness vowed that he would do whatever was in his power to stop the demons. He needed to get stronger, strong enough to stop them and end the menace there and then. For now he works in one of the city's markets as a trader of sorts, hawking wares and enjoying a glass of mead in the evenings, all the while hearing the sounds of dissent in the inns. But one day, one day he vows to help end the menace and punish the demons that took everything away from him--twice.

Dakkon

Hehe, I love to see it from the other side of the GM's Screen, but I'll save it for another time. Definitely going to keep an eye on this though to see how it goes.

Chreestafer

I'd love to try this out personally, ill pm you later with some questions.   I've never done a systems rp via E Forums.  Yeah I quit rather love pathfinder! So count me interested :)
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Thorne

I've wanted to play this one for a while, so I'm interested.

Cautious, but interested.
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Andi

I'm interested. Now I gotta figure out what character is suitable for a mythic game... :)

darras

I'm also interested, so long as you are ok with one who is not as familiar with the PF rules as most.

LtFox

Expressing interest, haven't tried a mythic PF game yet, though the rules seem interesting.
O/O

In Sword, Truth.

Tamhansen

Well I'm glad to see there's interest for this campaign, and I'm looking forward to seeing applications.

@Darras, don't worry, we'll get you up to speed on the rules as we go.
ons and offs

d20

If there's still some room I'd love to give it a try. Been with Pathfinder since the beta. Always a blast.

Thorne

Right. FYI, I'm using Hero Labs to set mine up - so the sheet might be plain text, but the math will function.
How much of the Player's Guide for Wrath of the Righteous should we be taking seriously? - ETA, nevermind, teach me for not reading more closely.

Deji, Rogue (Scribe)

Deji
Female Human (Kellid) Rogue (Sniper) 1
LN Medium humanoid (human)
Init +4; Senses Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 18, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+4 armor, +4 Dex)
hp 9 (1d8+1)
Fort +3, Ref +6, Will +1
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee shortsword +1 (1d6+1/19-20/×2)
Ranged light crossbow +4 (1d8/19-20/×2)
Special Attacks accuracy, sneak attack +1d6
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 12, Dex 18, Con 13, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 12

Base Atk +0; CMB +1; CMD 15

Feats Point-Blank Shot, Rapid Reload, Stealthy, Great Fortitude.
Traits/Mythic Path Chance Encounter, Trickster.

Skills :
Acrobatics +6, Bluff +5, Climb +3
Craft (calligraphy) +6, Disable Device +6, Escape Artist +8
Knowledge (local) +6, Perception +5, Profession (scribe) +5
Stealth +8, Survival +2, Use Magic Device +5

Languages Abyssal, Common, Hallit, Varisian

Combat Gear Caltrops, Sunrod (3), Shortsword, Chain shirt, Crossbow bolts (20), Light crossbow
Other Gear Backpack (56 @ 42 lbs), Bedroll, Belt pouch (11 @ 5.84 lbs), Explorer's outfit, Flint and steel, Grappling bolt, Grappling hook, Hip flask, Ink, black (2), Inkpen (2), Mess kit, Mirror, Night tea (10), Parchment (10), Piton (10), Scrivener's kit, Silk rope, Soap, Thieves' tools, Tindertwig (3), Torch (5), Twine (50'), Waterproof bag (15 @ 1 lbs), Waterskin, Whetstone,
6 GP, 4 SP, 7 CP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Accuracy (Ex) Halve all range increment penalties with a bow or crossbow.
Point-Blank Shot +1 to attack and damage rolls with ranged weapons at up to 30 feet.
Rapid Reload (Light crossbow) You can reload fast with one type of Crossbow or Firearm.
Sneak Attack +1d6 +1d6 damage if you flank your target or your target is flat-footed.
--------------------
Deji is a fixture in the small chapel, scribing letters, official documents of all sorts and anything else she is paid to write. Her handwriting is exsquisite, her calligraphy only matched by that of a professional and... ever her stray attention is elsewhere.
She remembers a time before Kenabres, and the years after, but the getting there - the getting there has some gaps in it. The woman... her voice. A brush of silk, like the wings of a butterfly as black as the space between the stars. Shrieks of some horrible /thing/. Human cries of agony mixed in with a voice... Deji has tried to forget that voice.

Years of her life, spent trying to be content with her lot in life, rarely speaking but always listening, Deji has spent much of her free time looking for answers, only to find that, within Kenabres, there is nothing.
The time she does not spend searching, or earning a living, she spends practicing - the old crossbow is worn, but the wood gleams with the polish of frequent use. So her only targets are disks of rattan on strings - she knows that the faster those horrors fall, the better - so, she practices until the weapon is as one with her hands, and prays it still will be if the target still breathes after a shot.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com
Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Tamhansen

@Thorne: looks good. you're still allowed one more bonus feat from the list though
ons and offs

Chreestafer

Which would be more preferred to the group a cleric or ranger? A) I don't want to steal anyone's thunder and B) I wish to be useful. So thoughts?
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

yesiroleplay

I'm intrigued - got room for a female human bard?

darras

I was going for ranger, Chreestafer, so my vote is for you to build a cleric! :D

Human too though.. That'd make a whole lot of humans.

Chreestafer

Well I'm still in the air on everything haha, ranger is my favorite and we can always have two to compete haha but a cleric is a good gal back I'm just not sure yet.  I was also thinking druid.

Plus I'm going to be a half-elf.
Ons and Offs
F-List

Tamhansen

Well as much as the powerplayers like to complain about humans, they do make for the most versatile characters as far as the core races go.

please feel free to submit your characters.

I'll keep the party to a mx of six characters, and would prefer a relatively balanced party, but in principle any party can work.

So far submissions and ideas I've seen
Thorne: Human rogue
Chreestafer: cleric or ranger
Darras: Human ranger
Yesiroleplay: Human bard

Not to push anybody, but I'd love to see a tanky type.
ons and offs

Thorne

Tanky type, eh? Andi excels at those. If he's in the mood to build one, you're golden. ^^

I'll go pick another feat for mine.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Chreestafer

Depending on what all happens I might pull up a tank type.
Ons and Offs
F-List

Chreestafer

Can I set my character up via E-Tools and give you a hyperlinked / image version of the character sheet?
Ons and Offs
F-List

Tamhansen

Sure. Any form of complete sheet is okay. I just used myth-weavers as an example as it's free and very good, but which ever you prefer is fine with me.
ons and offs

Andi

I'm cooking up a non-standard tank. I've done the theorycrafting, it /should/ be viable, but I'd like to see this one in play.

Sheet is here. Please ignore the Mythic stuff. I was fighting with getting that to work, and HL did not remove the first tier cleanly :(
Expected Mythic Path is Guardian.

darras

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Einin

Female Human (Azlanti) Ranger 1

NG Medium humanoid (human)

Init +3; Senses Perception +7

--------------------

Defense

--------------------

AC 16, touch 13, flat-footed 13 (+3 armor, +3 Dex)

hp 13 (1d10+3)

Fort +4, Ref +5, Will +3

--------------------

Offense

--------------------

Speed 20 ft.

Melee heavy shield bash +4 (1d4+3/×2) and

. . battleaxe +0 (1d8+1/×3) and

. . dagger +4 (1d4+3/19-20/×2) and

. . warhammer +0 (1d8+3/×3)

Ranged longbow +4 (1d8/×3)

Special Attacks favored enemy (evil outsiders +2)

--------------------

Statistics

--------------------

Str 16, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 13

Base Atk +1; CMB +4; CMD 17

Feats Alertness, Iron Will, Quick Draw, Two-weapon Fighting

Traits exposed to awfulness

Skills Knowledge (nature) +4 (+6 vs. evil outsiders), Knowledge (planes) +1 (+3 vs. evil outsiders), Perception +7 (+9 vs. evil outsiders), Profession (barmaid) +5, Ride +4, Sense Motive +3 (+5 vs. evil outsiders), Stealth +4, Survival +5 (+7 vs. evil outsiders, +6 to track)

Languages Azlanti, Common

SQ track, wild empathy

Combat Gear Caltrops, Oil (2); Other Gear Studded leather armor, Heavy wooden shield, Arrows (40), Battleaxe, Dagger, Longbow, Warhammer, Backpack (4 @ 19.5 lbs), Bandolier (7 @ 7 lbs), Bedroll, Belt pouch (6 @ 2.78 lbs), Canteen, Chalk, Flint and steel, Pot, Rope, Signal whistle, Soap, Torch (4), Twine (50'), 6 GP, 5 SP, 3 CP

--------------------

Special Abilities

--------------------

Exposed to Awfulness (1/day) Vs Death/Incapacitation by demon: Reroll saving throw as free action, keep 2nd result.

Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders +2) (Ex) +2 to rolls vs Favored Enemy (Evil Outsiders).

Quick Draw Draw weapon as a free action (or move if hidden weapon). Throw at full rate of attacks.

Track +1 Add the listed bonus to survival checks made to track.

Wild Empathy +2 (Ex) Improve the attitude of an animal, as if using Diplomacy.

Hero Lab and the Hero Lab logo are Registered Trademarks of LWD Technology, Inc. Free download at http://www.wolflair.com

Pathfinder® and associated marks and logos are trademarks of Paizo Publishing, LLC®, and are used under license.

Here are the stats! With a tentative Mythic Path of Guardian..

SlapThatSquirrel

Now a background will be required, but at least the basics are done!

Horon Lockhorn, Courier and Neophyte of Abadar

Horon Lockhorn
Male Halfling Cleric 1
LN Small humanoid (halfling)
Init +3; Senses Perception +3
Aura deflection aura (2 ft.)
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 17, touch 14, flat-footed 14 (+2 armor, +1 shield, +3 Dex, +1 size)
hp 10 (1d8+2)
Fort +5, Ref +4, Will +6
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 30 ft.
Melee cestus +4 (1d3-1/19-20/×2) and
. . dagger +4 (1d3-1/19-20/×2) and
. . dagger +4 (1d3-1/19-20/×2) and
. . dagger +4 (1d3-1/19-20/×2)
Ranged light crossbow +4 (1d6/19-20/×2) and
. . sling +4 (1d3-1/×2)
Special Attacks Channel Energy 1d6
Cleric Spells Prepared (CL 1st; concentration +4):
1st (2/day)—shield, sanctuary (DC 14), liberating command
0 (at will)—mending, create water, light
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 13, Wis 16, Cha 14
Base Atk +0; CMB -2; CMD 11
Feats Cosmopolitan, Skill Focus (Linguistics), Weapon Finesse
Skills Knowledge (geography) +7, Knowledge (local) +5, Linguistics +10, Profession (Courier) +7, Survival +5; Racial Modifiers +2 Linguistics, silver-tongued haggler
Languages Abyssal, Common, Draconic, Dwarven, Elven, Halfling, Infernal
SQ aura, domains (defense, trade), spontaneous casting, variant channeling (protection variant channeling [±1 sacred]), wanderlust
Other Gear Leather armor, Buckler, Cestus, Crossbow bolts (20), Dagger, Dagger, Dagger, Light crossbow, Sling, Sling bullets (20), Abacus, Backpack (empty), Belt pouch (empty), Flint and steel, Holy Book: The Manual of City Building, Holy Book: The Order of Numbers, Holy symbol, silver (Scales of Abadar), Mug/tankard, Signal whistle, 37 GP, 9 SP, 8 CP
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Aura (Ex) The Cleric has an aura corresponding to his deity's alignment.
Cleric Channel Positive Energy 1d6 (5/day) (DC 12) (Su) Positive energy heals the living and harms the undead; negative has the reverse effect.
Cleric Domain (Defense) Associated Domain: Protection
Cleric Domain (Trade) Associated Domain: Travel
Deflection Aura (1 rounds) (1/day) (Su) 20'r aura grants +2 AC and +2 CMD
Protection Variant Channeling (±1 Sacred) AC bonus/penalty
Silver-Tongued Haggler (+1) (6/day) (Su) +1 Bluff, Diplomacy, or Sense Motive
Spontaneous Casting The Cleric can convert stored spells into Cure or Inflict spells.
Wanderlust +1 CL for spells that provide or enhance movement.

Mythic Background/Path: Touched By Divinity/Hierophant
--------------------

Mewlay
Mule
N Medium animal
Init +1; Senses low-light vision, scent; Perception +5
--------------------
Defense
--------------------
AC 11, touch 11, flat-footed 10 (+1 Dex)
hp 13 (2d8+4)
Fort +5 (+4 vs. hot or cold environments and to resist damage from suffocation), Ref +4, Will +0
--------------------
Offense
--------------------
Speed 40 ft.
Melee 2 hooves +2 (1d3+1/×2)
--------------------
Statistics
--------------------
Str 13, Dex 13, Con 14, Int 2, Wis 11, Cha 4
Base Atk +1; CMB +2; CMD 13 (17 vs. trip)
Feats Endurance, Run
Skills Perception +5
Other Gear Pack saddle, Saddlebags (empty)
--------------------
Special Abilities
--------------------
Endurance +4 to a variety of fort saves, skill and ability checks. Sleep in L/M armor with no fatigue.
Low-Light Vision See twice as far as a human in low light, distinguishing color and detail.
Run Run 5x your speed in light/medium armor or 4x speed in heavy armor and keep Dex when running.
Scent (Ex) Detect opponents within 15+ feet by sense of smell.
All hail the Lord of the Acorns!

Latooni Subota

Pretty interested! I'm sick-ish now, but I'll see if I can pull together something that isn't terrible, asap!
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.