EARN IT is back

Started by Al Terego, May 02, 2023, 07:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al Terego

GloomCookie

This should be a giant violation of the 4th Amendment against unlawful search and seizure. Why the hell does this always come up where law enforcement thinks it's ok to infringe on people's liberties? I know it makes it harder to catch predators, but that's because everyone has a reasonable right to privacy including on their own personal devices. I still remember a case where the FBI was pressuring Apple to use a back-door key to get into someone's phone, citing national security or something. Apple kept refusing, and the FBI almost went in to arrest some people before they got in another way.

The average age of Congress puts most of them already being adults when technology like the internet came about, and most don't really understand it or even deliberately go out of their way to avoid learning about it because it's just something their grandkids use, and they ain't got time for them twitters and facebooks by gum!
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Al Terego

I am pretty sure that they understand the technology quite well, but it is difficult to endorse an anti-oppression tool when you are planning on being the oppressor.

Skyguy

Full tin foil hat time.

Those in power and their lapdogs do not consider themselves your equals, they think they are better than you. The fact that you can hide things from them and they can do nothing to see it unless you decide to infuriates them. They don't care how insecure things become or how it could muck up the internet, the peons cannot be allowed to keep secrets from their betters, full stop. It's got nothing to do with kids or drugs or terrorism, it's about control.

Al Terego

Quote from: Skyguy on May 03, 2023, 03:49:25 PM
It's got nothing to do with kids or drugs or terrorism, it's about control.

Very much this.

Also:

“The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation.”
― Adolf Hitler