Old Salem (Closed)

Started by RainbowRian, March 12, 2013, 05:26:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RainbowRian

So, I had this idea about the Salem Witch trials era, and was wondering... what would it have been like had they had magical powers, like Charmed or Sabrina.  Would anybody be up for a game like that?  Where perhaps it is the burning times and there is one main coven of male and female witches?  Plus some characters could be witchhunters, etc.  The possibilities for fun and unconventional relationships are endless.  Let me know your thoughts.

Izabella

I'd be interested in something like this. I love playing a less than good witch. Might be fun to have a mixture of good and bad witches so there tension even within the coven.

Anyway. Color me interested.

Is there truth in emotion or is it so blatantly false that it moves and stretches us to become the monster tomorrow that we foster today?

RainbowRian

Awesome.  Im hoping to get this off the ground.  I will however have to find a Co-GM

RainbowRian

The co-gm would be required to help with plot, threads, character approval.. etc.  Also they would need to be able to discuss things with me and things would require both approvals.  That being said I will only give the spot to someone who can keep up with the thread.  I don't want to have to wait two weeks to get an ok on something and me going ahead and approving it and the other GM getting upset.  I know RL happens but thats why people give others a heads up :)

Izabella

Sounds lovely. I'll co-gm if you need me. I gm 4-5 games on another site, but if someone else wants the experience I'll move back. ;)

Is there truth in emotion or is it so blatantly false that it moves and stretches us to become the monster tomorrow that we foster today?

RainbowRian

We shall see my dear.  It is just I already am GM-ing a game I feel will get large and I don't want that to effect this if it indeed takes off.  I mean I would be able to make decisions etc, But that GM could post as well as myself (plot-wise)

Cleo4u2

I think I have characters for this already. Erm, can I play two? I want twins. One good, one bad...

*flails* All the ideas.
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

Ons/Offs and Info ~ Plot Ideas - Updated 6/213/16

My /Aways Updated 8/25/16

Izabella

RainbowRian

Yes that could be a possibility.  If enough interest is shown i will list available slots.

CupidCatt

Sounds like a fun idea, I'd love to write about a witch character. Maybe somebody based on Tituba (the slave who kinda kick-started the Salem trials)...

RainbowRian

Yay! a few more and I will make the forum

RainbowRian

Alrighty folks.  Here it is.  Also welcome Cleo as the CO-GM who graciously put this together.

[b]Name[/b]:
[b]Occupation[/b]: (What your character does for money)
[b]Sect[/b]: (Coven, Church, etc.)
[b]Orientation[/b]:
[b]Hair[/b]:
[b]Eyes[/b]:
[b]Height[/b]:
[b]Appearance[/b]: (Picture appreciated, but optional)
[b]Abilities[/b]: (limited to two)
[b]Personality[/b]:
[b]History[/b]:
[b]Relationships[/b]: (optional)

Post your proposed character sheets here, but they do have to be approved by myself and cleo  :)

Cleo4u2

Wanting approval for my twins! XD

Name: Timothy Welsh
Sect: Coven member
Orientation: Homosexual
Hair: Black
Eyes: Grey with gold flecks
Height: 5' 11"
Appearance: Timothy looks exactly like his brother Gregory. The two men are tall, with sharp, striking features and piercing eyes. There the similarities end, however, with Timothy not having the muscle of his brother. Fair skinned, his eyes and hands are gentle and soft.
Abilities:
Healing: The ability to heal small wounds without effort and an affinity for crystal healing.
Clairvoyance: Grants visions of the future in dreams and through scrying. Not always clear.
Personality: Timothy is a kind soul, always willing to lend a hand or stay up late through the night with a sick child. He's terminally shy, however, the perpetual town bachelor, though few know it's because he has no interest in women.
History: Timothy and Gregory's mother died giving birth to them, leaving them with a mean, drunk father and no one to rely on but each other. Always being the stronger of the two, Gregory took most of the beatings from his father to protect his gentler brother and received from him the only love he'd ever known.

As the two boys grew older, Gregory pushed Timothy into going to school while he took up the chores on the farm. At night, Tim would teach his brother everything he learned until their father came home from the tavern. Finally the old man died. Though rumors abounded about the accident that took his life, no one could prove that either brother had anything to do with it. Not that many tried hard as the man's death was a boon to all.

Shortly after their father died, Gregory and Timothy sold their farm. Tim bought an apprenticeship with the local doctor while Gregory purchased the old Inn and Tavern. The doctor at the time wasn't as superstitious as most folk and quickly realized Tim's gifts for healing. Though he wasn't a member himself, he introduced the boy to the local Coven and he was immediately inducted as an apprentice. Not willing to do anything without his brother, he insisted they allow him to join the Coven as well and, after some time and the realization of Gregory's gifts, they agreed.
Relationships: Brother - Gregory Welsh

Name: Gregory Welsh
Sect: Coven member
Hair: Black
Eyes: Grey with gold flecks
Height: 5' 11"
Appearance: Gregory looks exactly like his brother Timothy. The two men are tall, with sharp, striking features and piercing eyes. There the similarities end, however, with Gregory having far more muscle than his brother from his time spent on the farm. Skin tanned dark from hours in the sun, his hands are worn and calloused from long work.
Abilities:
Illusional Empathy: The ability to influence people's emotions and make them feel things that they normally wouldn't feel.
Suggestion: The ability to influence people's thoughts with words
Personality: Gregory is a seemingly friendly, pleasant man with a smile and a laugh for everyone. Thought he's courted a few ladies, he has never settled down, always seeming to want something new. Occasionally a hard, cruel glint can be seen in his eyes and his smile will be more mocking than mirthful, but few know him to be purposefully malicious.
History: Timothy and Gregory's mother died giving birth to them, leaving them with a mean, drunk father and no one to rely on but each other. Always being the stronger of the two, Gregory took most of the beatings from his father to protect his gentler brother and received from him the only love he'd ever known.

As the two boys grew older, Gregory pushed Timothy into going to school while he took up the chores on the farm. At night, Tim would teach his brother everything he learned until their father came home from the tavern. Finally the old man died. Though rumors abounded about the accident that took his life, no one could prove that either brother had anything to do with it. Not that many tried hard as the man's death was a boon to all.

Shortly after their father died, Gregory and Timothy sold their farm. Tim bought an apprenticeship with the local doctor while Gregory purchased the old Inn and Tavern. Gregory quickly became popular in the town as he spruced up the tavern, imported new ales, brewed his own and generally proved himself nothing like his father. The influence he had always had over people's minds didn't hurt his business either.

When his brother came to him with tales of the Coven, Gregory was at first against the idea. In time he realized the potential such a group had, especially as they taught him how to use and control his own unique abilities.
Relationships: Brother - Timothy Welsh
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves and wiser people so full of doubts.  - Bertrand Russell

RainbowRian

Also, you may have up to two characters :D at least for now.

RainbowRian

The Twins are approved, just find ya some pics before we play :)

RainbowRian

Name: Matthew Binx
Sect: Coven Member
Alignment:Grey Magick
Hair: Blonde
Eyes: Deep Blue
Height: 5’9”
Appearance: (See Left)
Abilities: Weather Manipulation: He can control and manipulate weather.
Personality: Matthew is a bit conservative.  He is the embodiment of nature.  Calm and loving but when crossed he can be wrathful.
History: He lived quite the normal life.  His childhood was as good as could be expected... that was until his mother and father were both accused of Witchcraft.  They smuggled him to his grandmother who fled with him, but thats when his power manifested.  He watched as his mother and father burned and in his sadness caused a downpour of rain to fall upon their burning flesh, but by then it was too late.

His grandmother took him to a village where a few of her coven resided that was tucked away from the trials, at least for that time.  She too had a gift which was that of healing and growing plant-life.  She died when he turned 18 and he was beside himself. It rained for days.  He inherited all of her books and her small cottage hidden inside the edge of the woods.  He also acquired the small Tailoring shop that had been ran by his grandmother and a few of her friends and became the tailor, A talent that was passed down along with his knowledge of plants and the old ways. 

Although the coven is mainly seen as equal, he is one of its founders.
Relationships: (None Currently)

Approved!

lenka

I am also interested with anything got to do with supernatural powers...witches welcomed )0(

Have you all begun anything as yet or can I make a character sheet up?

Any do's or don't's in regards to powers/manipulating one anothers?

Cleo4u2

Looks great Rainbow!

Lenka, we have no started yet so feel free to toss up a character sheet for approval! No more than two powers and we will have to approve them. We don't want any one character over powering any of the other characters. Other than that, no violating other player's do's/don'ts.

RainbowRian

RainbowRian

Quote from: Cleo4u2 on March 15, 2013, 11:41:55 PM
Looks great Rainbow!

Lenka, we have no started yet so feel free to toss up a character sheet for approval! No more than two powers and we will have to approve them. We don't want any one character over powering any of the other characters. Other than that, no violating other player's do's/don'ts.

I may or may not make another. Im not sure as of yet but maybe. like his cousin or something because back then alot of it was learned from family and word of mouth was dangerous. 

Quick Quiz: Who knows what altar pentagrams were made of during the burning times?  No cheatingg :)

lenka

Merry meet Rainbow and Cleo.

I would presume wood, then again I am going along the lines of white witches..so anything natural that wouldn't harm.
Otherwise I would say Bones? *shrugs*

I will work on a character, but is there a basis to the story line? Like somehow each individual is drawn to this old town, some may live here already, but feel the increase of power as such? I am always open to share idea's anyway..it's always good with group rp's to make sure we are all up to speed :)

RainbowRian

Quote from: lenka on March 15, 2013, 11:59:52 PM
Merry meet Rainbow and Cleo.

I would presume wood, then again I am going along the lines of white witches..so anything natural that wouldn't harm.
Otherwise I would say Bones? *shrugs*

I will work on a character, but is there a basis to the story line? Like somehow each individual is drawn to this old town, some may live here already, but feel the increase of power as such? I am always open to share idea's anyway..it's always good with group rp's to make sure we are all up to speed :)

We haven't got that far into plot yet. :)  and Wax. Thrown into the fires when the inquisition came knocking

Quote from: Gman001 on March 16, 2013, 12:02:52 AM
Hmm..this has roused my curiosity

Well come up with a character sheet if you'd like. We are taking up to 13 coven members but then you can also be townfolk, clergy, witch hunter.. etc

lenka

perhaps you could juice us with picys of the town?  ::)

RainbowRian

I will have to find it tommorrow or something.  Lol this was more to rouse interest once we get enough characters ready to go we will actually make the thread and such.  It would be a basic village

Cleo4u2

I'll see if I can find something.