Pathfinder: Adventurers Welcome (Recruiting)

Started by kckolbe, September 30, 2013, 10:51:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blinkin

*waves from the comfy chair by the roaring fire in the study* Hey, I may not be great at finding traps and stuff, but I'm a rogue too... well, I have sneaky, sneaky skills and not bad with locks... I'm just too snooty to admit that I'm a rogue and call myself a light fighter... lol

"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

kckolbe

Player-made races are fine as long as they don't feel exotic.  Humans in D&D seem to have shagged everything, so I am pretty flexible on "near-human" races.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Blinkin

It may be as much a "Everything has shagged a human" as the other way around. We're not a race of sluts, you know. ;) We do have limits or we might see half-zombies running around. *shutters* ick.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Phaia

okay if what you are saying is that crafting is gonna be a lot faster does that over come profession... i mean we are starting penniless...being a monk no big deal for me but i do not want to carry a fight when the warrior types have no weapons to speak of.

As an example aria is gonna want a good meal before anything since we have no money that means we have been barely surviving...honest question here ...why would any guild what to hire people that are so broke they do not even have a dagger?

I am not interested in rping  aweek of crafting or performing unless theer are reasons to and as it stands i am gonna drop her perform on the best roll possible she will make a gold or 2 for a days work. an average roll will be coppers or maybe a silver or 2. my suggestion woukd be instead of a single point why not the feat skill focus but only applied to a craft...perfom..profession since with that and a profession ya can make maybe 10gp a week

I am gonna give this A chance but after reading the rules onn profession/craft/perform and then on things like meals..living quarters. I am not sure just normal stuff would make enough to outfit a normal character. and you want to limit the loot. hun we will take the clothes...boots... belts..rugs etc...it will add up.

take blinkin does his character have theif tools? a weapon? from what i am getting we have basically the clothes on our backs [worth what 10gp so may trade down there lol]

my monk needs very little...a good meal... some nice cloths and slippers...and a bedroll maybe a nice monk weapon but then a long peice of wood can be a quarter staff.

sorry rmbling a bit was a busy day...

and blinkin i was interested in the drwaf group you still have openings?

Phaia

kckolbe

All characters will start with provided gear and a small amount of gold for incidentals.  The guild hires people that are broke because only broke people would agree to the terms of the guild (ie we train you a bit and outfit you then take a huge chunk of anything you make).
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

Aye, Guild provides all your starting gear basically and has provided training, resources and information. In return Guild will tax you a lot in coming stuff but not too much so it would not appear profitable choice for you.

*sits sadly in reception desk as sole staff member*

Phaia

do they supply living quarters? food?..training past 2nd /3rd level? horses for travel?

i am gonna do a major change in the character...still a monk but pushing wis and dex and dropping other attributes.
can i keep the half elf aspect but change some of the racial traits....like droping multitalented for something else?

Phaia

kckolbe

They supply all of those things to limited extent.  After all, training is pretty much done by experience.  Training in a new class, however, can be arranged.  Also, changing the character is fine.

Intro Thread

Zaer Darkwail

I think Guild provides food and housing; they tax it directly from your mission reward money to able provide simple but decent housing and food like porridge in morning as part of breakfast, simple meal and later a warm dinner. Also provide training much as they can tutor you (my char does not have many ranks though but I doubt many get so wide berth knowledge in 1st level and he provides item identification services and other lore even if you have little to nothing learn from him anymore).

Anyways you can trade multitalented away, there are race creation points which give it value and you can pick something else what makes sense to you. So long RP (race points) do not go past 10 (dwarfs got 11 but they are okay race). Also there are variant racial traits listed under every race and no doubt some quirk trades multitalented away.

Blinkin

Things are a little confusing at the moment, and I'm not entirely sure on how creating magical items will work in this... aside from weapons and armor, none of the items listed offer anything on exactly how they are done... In the rings, there's a feat specifically for creating rings... but then, where does the ring itself come from? Thin air? Similar questions about other items such as the basis of the haversack and so on... But, hit that wall head first when it comes up... You can always sell jewerly to shop owners or from a box on a strap about the neck... "Cigars, Cigarettes, Gum.." Or, "Rings, Necklaces, hatpins..."

I still want a Handy Haversack spell on an Adventurer's Sash... It would just be so cool! lol

I'm assuming that eventually, characters can create their own homes and so on if they earn enough... it's about more than just survival and where you sleep that night. More than aquiring stuff, but at the same time, stuff is nice. ;)

My dwarven game is currently full, but depending on the results on my little experiment, slots may be opening up before the game even begins. I'm reluctant to have players who disregard the posting requirements from the start...

Anyway, if you are interested, I can put you on a waiting list for slots. These games always have players disappearing fairly quickly.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Countdown0

Blinkin, creating a magical ring requires a normal ring, as well as the material components of the spell whose effects are being applied to the ring.

The same is true of all magical items. However, creating magical items also takes time, but for the sake of streamlining the game a little bit, shortening the time to make a solid item or to enchant by a substantial margin might be necessary.
My posting rate is SLOOOW at the moment... sorry about that :(

On's + Off's                             
RP Search Thread
A/A's

CurvyKitten

I was thinking something fun like the Tengu, but the whole bird head would make smexy time a little awkward so I thought with her being half Tengu (or something like that)  she could look a bit more like this...

Or possible more like Siren from final fantasy hehe. But that is kind of what is peaking my interest at the moment. I'd freely work with the stats would be acceptable of course. Just wanting it more for the fun of rping it. heheimg]

Lockepick

As far as I understand, the reason that it's not clear how Magic Item Creation will work is because the GM hasn't explained it yet. He's only mentioned he will be doing something different -- unless I missed it, I don't think there has been details. I presume he's still working on it.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Phaia

kc are you changing the crafting rules intireily? its not the time that bothers me but the DC checks. to make a simple short sword is a dc 15 check... if ari has craft weapon..+1int+3 trained+1 rank = 5 so she would need a roll of 10 or better...doable  yet to make a masterwork is a dc 20 and 100gp in minerals extra as well as a second roll by the current crafting rules if fail by 5 or more you loose the material aand have to start over. I cant see how a low level crater could make a masterwork weapon without failing a bunch of times which drives up the price.

its not about the time but making the rolls thats why i suggested a skill focus instead of the single point or maybe if ya spent  a skill point in craft/perfom/profession ya get skill focus

Phaia

Lockepick

I'm not sure what the aversion is. If the adjustment to the system doesn't create higher DCs -- I don't think anything stops you from taking different Crafts/Professions/Perform. You could put 3 ranks in 6 skills, if you wanted -- the equivalent of Skill Focus 6 times, assuming you didn't already want to max it out before this.

I want to say one of the books out there has rules for increasing the DC to lower the time -- another reason to want higher than the base DC of 15.

I think we're reading too much into a system that KC hasn't posted yet.
Like what you see? I am currently looking for new plots!

Detailed List of O/Os and Plot Seeds

All of my image links were previously photobucket and broken -- I'm fixing them as I use the avatars again, or for current games. Please let me know if there is something that needs updating!

Ebb

I agree that "wait and see" is the best approach for both the mundane and the magic crafting stuff. I'm sure KC will present the full system when it's completely cooked.

Besides, to my mind 1st level adventurers really aren't meant to make a comfortable living through either Craft or Profession. They're just starting out, and they've all spent most of their time learning whatever their class is. Being able to make some stuff is a nice extra, but there's no reason you should be as good as the village smithy who's been doing this for years and years. That's all he's got, man, and he's not exactly living in a castle.

There has to be some reason why we're risking life and limb to go through the Guild's mandatory three missions. If we could do just as well by sitting at home and weaving baskets then we'd be kind of foolish to go risk our necks. But instead we're all at a place in our lives where selling ourselves into indentured servitude makes sense -- the way I read it, that's kind of the point of the whole setup. Finding good ways to get rich through other means seems a little bit like denying the premise of the game.

Blinkin

I would agree that too much is being read into the crafting issues. I ws just speaking about the rules festablished by Pathfinder. You can decrease the amount of time by giving yourself a +10 Difficulty, but you can take 10 on the skill checks, so you can craft difficulty 15 items at 1st level, even if you are restricted to a low INT and a single skill rank (As the rules limit you). With 1 skill rank and +1 from Int, that is a 5. Taking 10 makes the 15... You will take longer to craft the item, but you can do it with pretty much certainty. Masterwork is another issue and 1st level characters aren't suppose to be able to craft them yet. There are, of course, a number of feats and traits that add significantly to crafting, but most consider them pointless as most games don't even allow for the down time to do the crafting, that can take weeks for armors and weapons. Still, if you wanted it, you could do it.

My question about magical items is that there's no real consistant rules on the items that you're enchanting beyond armor and swords. I assume that any item must be masterworked quality, adding 50GP to the cost... or 1/3 of that. Depending on what the spell requires... a 100 GP diamond, for example, could be built into the item easily enough... and it doesn't take all that long to enchant. 8 hours for each +1, so time isn't a factor in the enchanting issue so much... Just getting the Masterworked item to use.

On the bright side, for all of the work, you could get a +1 item for a little more than 1/2 value, depending on how greedy the character wants to be... in time. Profession or Performance rolls will produce more incomce early on, but it would be hard to do both crafting and profession together.

Taking 10 on profession gives you at least 5 GP a week, enough to eat on, and straight craft rolls can give you the same. It's the return on time that makes crafting less attractive under the old rules; particulary when you were limited to 1/2 it's value in earnings. You spend 1/3 the cost of the item to make it, takes weeks, and get less than 1/4 the value in profit. A standard longsword may take 2 or 3 weeks at 1st level, but you only get 2 or 3 GP for that time.

I'm sure that the new rules and options will improve on that, just not sure if anyone will put the effort in unless the return is more favorable than 1/2 of value.f
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Phaia

You said that much better then i did Blinkin. of course I doubt you are chasing a 3 year old that refuses to go too sleep!!

anyway I am going with a profession which builds on my wis bonus which should be +3

Phaia

Blinkin

I will trade you the three year old for a 3 year old labby, a 5 year old labby and a 8 year old feline... Try getting them to settle down when they want to play. ;)

I know what you're going through. My first fiance had a set of twin 4 year old girls. If you actually got one in bed, the other was under the bed, in the closet, chasing the cat, bouncing on YOUR bed, etc, etc, etc. lol I actually miss them sometimes, even if they are nearly 20 now... it doesn't seem that long ago.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Phaia

when designing a race can we use advanced traits as long as the point total stays no more then 10?

Phaia

Anon315

As he has limited us to 10 RP, which is a Standard race, I think we should be limited to standard abilities, not advanced or monstrous.

kckolbe

Lots to catch up on.  This is one downside to being overseas.  Most of the time I am awake no one is on, but every time I sleep I fall behind.

Long post, please read carefully:

I do not currently have plans to change the rules for magical crafting.  Magical crafting is already profitable, useful and much faster than standard crafting, so requires less help.  I am changing masterwork crafting.  It will not be easier, but it will be far more useful AND far more profitable.  To give an example of the current draft, a +2 masterwork longsword would require 5 ranks in craft: weaponsmithing (or two ranks and skill focus), a DC of 25, would require twice the time as a normal longsword, would cost 1,005 gp in materials, and would cost approximately 3015g to buy from a vendor.  This does two things for the players that the old system did not.  1)Masterwork bonuses go beyond +1, have different kinds of bonuses, and stack with bonuses from magical enchantment.  2) The time to craft the item is no longer directly tied to the final cost of the item.

Now, given the significant DCs, having skill focus in crafting makes sense if you want to pursue this, just like magical crafting requires feats to be useful at that.  These feats will not be free, though.  After all, crafting can grant significant bonuses from gear (there are rules for armor and tools as well). 

In addition to this, we are still discussing base crafting times.  The silver piece rule, in my mind, and amol's as well, takes too damn long, but we are trying to decide where to actually set it.  We are currently leaning toward twice the price in gold (making crafting five times faster), but have not officially decided.

I am sure you probably have a lot of other questions, but I don't want folks getting hung up on one house rule that has already been the most frequently discussed topic.  Those of you who have played in my games in the past (as GM or co GM) should know that I value the tone of a game above individual rules, and I always set out an expectation of gameplay.  I feel like a lot of players have *not* been paying attention to the desired tone and expectations in their concepts and questions.

Quote from: Ebb on October 04, 2013, 10:07:07 PM
There has to be some reason why we're risking life and limb to go through the Guild's mandatory three missions. If we could do just as well by sitting at home and weaving baskets then we'd be kind of foolish to go risk our necks. But instead we're all at a place in our lives where selling ourselves into indentured servitude makes sense -- the way I read it, that's kind of the point of the whole setup. Finding good ways to get rich through other means seems a little bit like denying the premise of the game.

This is very close to what I have been trying to convey.  The confusion, and I am a bit responsible for this, is that I do want players trying to get rich/powerful/famous through other means, just not at level 1.  I am putting you guys on fast xp progression (medium for staff).  You will level.  You will be given opportunities to make names for yourselves.  Note that you are only required to do three missions.  After that, you can do whatever you want.  There will be more missions (though perhaps not enough), but I do want the control of PC destiny to slowly move from my hands into yours.  Your characters will start off broke, weak and with no contacts, forcing them to accept the shit deal that they are offered.  With each mission they complete, their situation changes significantly.  As players, embrace those changes.

To give two examples, think about the guildmasters and staffmembers.  Staff members did their three missions and then decided to just not take any more (at least for a while).  They are still part of the guild, but now it is by choice, and they live more comfortable (if less exciting) lives.  Guildmasters did their time as random adventurers until they realized that they had the resources to start their own project and control their own destiny. 

Intro Thread

kckolbe

Quote from: CurvyKitten on October 04, 2013, 08:17:46 PM
I was thinking something fun like the Tengu, but the whole bird head would make smexy time a little awkward so I thought with her being half Tengu (or something like that)  she could look a bit more like this...

Or possible more like Siren from final fantasy hehe. But that is kind of what is peaking my interest at the moment. I'd freely work with the stats would be acceptable of course. Just wanting it more for the fun of rping it. heheimg]

I can't tell how much of that is supposed to be wings.  Tengu are such an odd race by themselves.  They have wings, yet cannot fly, nor can they even jump farther like most other flightless birds.  Physically, they have so little in common with humans. 

I think that I would rather prefer a player-created winged human race.  The race builder has two standard traits that involve wings, one that allows characters to glide down from jumps (3 RP), and another that gives a +4 bonus on Fly checks (2 RP).  If you want I can PM you a couple of winged human race templates.

What were you thinking of, class wise?  Also, staff or adventurer?

Intro Thread

Ershin

My apologies for not posting in this thread for a while, but may I ask how much longer prospective applicants have to get sheets and backgrounds in?
My internet's been cut (quite literally in fact, some idiots doing work on the road cut the cable) and my only source at the minute is my phone, the data plan on which won't last forever so I'm a bit limited and a little concerned about using it as a WiFi hotspot for my computer. Trying to get a sheet site like Plothook or Mythweavers to work on the phone is an effort in frustration, so I'm just wondering if I should keep attempting to do so at an excruciatingly slow pace on the phone or if I'd have time to see if the fault gets fixed

kckolbe

You have until the end of the day Sunday to submit your basic concept (race, class, general notes).  You'll have about another week after that for a finished sheet.

Intro Thread