Is it worth repairing

Started by Ashleebabe, March 26, 2014, 11:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashleebabe

I had the screen of my HP lapyop get fried. The computer guy said it was a 200 fix but I found the part for 90 dollars. Should I repair the laptop, number one. Should I get the part and take it to the place to repair it? I just am not too sure what I should do

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Ashleebabe on March 26, 2014, 11:31:45 AM
I had the screen of my HP lapyop get fried. The computer guy said it was a 200 fix but I found the part for 90 dollars. Should I repair the laptop, number one. Should I get the part and take it to the place to repair it? I just am not too sure what I should do

This depends on several factors...

1: How old is the laptop?
2: Are you in a position to spend more to get a new one?
3: Are you willing to spend 200? (I highly recommend having someone experienced do this for you, not try to do it yourself... even if you can get the part on your own. The extra cost is likely charging for labor, taxes, shipping, etc. Find out how much the part will cost him to order it from his supplier and if it's more than the 90 you found it for, ask if he's okay with you ordering the part on your own and bringing it to him)
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Ashleebabe

My laptop is a 2009 but when the guy looked at it, he said the computer itself in in good condition. I would never do it myself. I mean I would be without a computer longer if I replaced it and bought a new one. The guy told me at the shop I should but if the computer is fine...

I have a friend who does do repairs on computers, I have not been able to get ahold of him though

Some say the world will end in fire, Some say in ice. From what I’ve tasted of desire I hold with those who favor fire. But if it had to perish twice, I think I know enough of hate To say that for destruction ice Is also great And would suffice.

Bloodied Porcelain

Quote from: Ashleebabe on March 26, 2014, 12:09:20 PM
My laptop is a 2009 but when the guy looked at it, he said the computer itself in in good condition. I would never do it myself. I mean I would be without a computer longer if I replaced it and bought a new one. The guy told me at the shop I should but if the computer is fine...

I have a friend who does do repairs on computers, I have not been able to get ahold of him though

If it's an 09, I would personally just save up and replace it... A laptop can work longer than a few years, but 3-5 years is the window I usually give it before I upgrade my machine. Even if you replace it, you've got maybe another year or two before it won't do much more than basic wordprocessing and web browsing because most software and games will have long surpassed it. If you can't live without it though, then I'd just bite the bullet and spend the 200 and start saving up for a new one.
I want no ordinary lover. I want a storm. I want sleepless nights and endless conversations at four a.m. I want passion, I want madness.
I want someone who's able to make my whole body shiver from a distance and also pull me close to make sense of all my bones.

~ Bizarre, Beautiful, And Breathtaking ~
~ O/O ~ Seeking ~ A/A ~ Mirrors and Masks ~ Poetry ~
She walked with the universe on her shoulders and made it look like wings.

Ebb

Also if you mostly use the computer while sitting at a desk anyway, you could try to use an external monitor to carry you through until you're ready to buy another computer. You can get a very nice one for under a hundred bucks.

Not so useful if you mostly use the computer at Starbucks, though.

If you do end up getting a new computer later then having a second display can still be very useful.

Ashleebabe

Its something to think about. I use it as a laptop but I can get a monitor for nothing. Lol i just have s lot of things that I need before a computer

NewMoon35

Quote from: Ashleebabe on March 26, 2014, 11:31:45 AM

Check the health of the hard drive first.  HPs overheat easily.  If the hard drive is dying, then that is just another problem.  If all is well, it is a screen repair is a rather easy fix.  However, if you can't do it yourself, you're better off putting that money into a new laptop.  Don't buy an HP though.

Psi

As a bit of perspective on choices.

I work in the field of IT, as a network admin.   I have seen technicians replace dozens of screens, and I have always preferred them to do it.    While we have warranty etc, taking it to a third party - one advantage you have if the replacement doesn't work, particularly if they provide the part, is that they agreed to fix it for x cost.   If you do it yourself, and the screen is faulty, you then have to source another one at 90 again, which means it would be 180.

I pull hard drives (particularly for data recovery) and ram from laptops all the time, and I have replaced a keyboard or two, a couple of DVD Drives.   These are all parts designed to be user serviceable.   An LCD is not.  Without the proper tools, you can easily break tiny plastic clips, cables etc.   While I might have an attempt as a long shot if a device was out of warranty (never while in warranty), if one part has failed, particularly with a burn out right after a power surge from a storm etc I would be highly suspect of the other parts.

We even have qualified technicians say that some screens are a nightmare to replace.

Laptops are not really meant to be user serviceable other than the parts marked as such.   And even then - user serviceable, is a label that has certain expectations.   Many of the devices I support, I would not trust the end user with a screwdriver.

Oniya

I've also been on the tech side of things, and messing around inside laptops is a royal pain.  Desktop/tower boxes have lots of room inside, but laptops are a freaking jigsaw puzzle.  Even something as simple as upgrading RAM involves squirming around other components.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Reno

Quote from: Oniya on March 31, 2014, 06:39:06 AM
I've also been on the tech side of things, and messing around inside laptops is a royal pain.  Desktop/tower boxes have lots of room inside, but laptops are a freaking jigsaw puzzle.  Even something as simple as upgrading RAM involves squirming around other components.

I second this. Because of the need to compress all of the components into a much smaller space, there's a lot of carefully-engineered stress in the layout. An old tech buddy of mine put it best, IMO... "Take out the wrong screw or tug the wrong chip, and it'll spew out like a gutted fish."

sleepingferret

Thirded...

I've taken apart several laptops for various reasons, and the LCD is pretty much the one thing on a laptop I won't mess with.

I'll go back to some of my old Help Desk jobs before I mess with a laptop's LCD.....

Ashleebabe

I heard if you plug my laptop into an external monitor may work, I have my fingers crossed

Psi

Quote from: Ashleebabe on March 31, 2014, 05:30:45 PM
I heard if you plug my laptop into an external monitor may work, I have my fingers crossed

As long as the LCD thats fried, and not the Graphics Card / Motherboard, and external display should work.
We use an external monitor to test computers where the LCD doesn't work all the time.   If the LCD works, it implies a cable/LCD failure.  If neither work it implies a Graphics Card, or more likely as most laptops use an Embeded Graphics Card - a motherboard failure.