When Destiny Goes Sideways, Sidekicks Step Up (Recruiting, D&D 5e)

Started by Guancyto, September 12, 2016, 12:09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guancyto

The Heroes of Destiny, sheathed in the greatest protective enchantments and bearing the legendary Weapons of Legend, did ride forth to do final battle with the evil Lord of Evil, and in so doing Save the World.

Then they all died. The common story is that a very unDestined stone dropped from the ceiling and struck the wizard, causing him to lose his concentration on controlling an elemental prince, who proceeded to turn upon the group, wreaking much slaughter and devastation.

Now it's just you. Nobody ever wrote a destiny about you, unless it was "and then the Squire and the Camp Woman did say, 'what a Hero that Sir Gallant is!'" as part of something something anyway he slew a dragon. No one ever held a parade in your name, but you were there nonetheless. Heroes are rarely solitary beings; they attract an entourage that rarely gets mentioned much. You might have been a scholar who tagged along to write a biography. You might have been the wizard's familiar, given humanoid shape by a spell and newly independent. You might have been squire to a virtuous knight, or mistress to a dashing rogue, or a gutter-urchin that the raging barbarian was nice to now and then, or even the princess that they had to keep rescuing time after time.

Regardless, now everything is in chaos and it's... up to you? How the hell could it be up to you? Well, it doesn't have to be. The Fates aren't really concerned with whether or not you want to save the world, they're still in a violent tizzy over how things aren't happening like they're supposed to. But you do still live there, right?

So! Hi!

I want to run a game about an especially rag-tag group of misfits who were sidekicks and hangers-on to the "real" heroes, who had their own lives and dreams but who would never have gotten into any heroic tales, except that now they have to pick up the pieces after everything went wrong. I don't really have a setting in mind so it will probably be homebrewed or the Generic Fantasy World.

A word of warning: games I run tend to be pretty silly. This is unlikely to be an exception to the rule.

The notion I had for a system is D&D 5e, somewhere from 1st level to 3rd, but I could be convinced to use another system (or freeform?) just because getting you all killed would sort of defy the whole point of the game (unless you were replaced by an even rag-taggier band of heroes or your own hangers-on. See again: silly)

With that in mind, who is interested?

Edit from the future: Open to new interest until 11:59:59 PM Sunday, Sept 17.
Character rules are these:
3rd level
Array or point-buy
Starting equipment packages, plus 200 GP and one Uncommon magic item from or related to the Hero (or Heroes) you were attached to

No Variant Humans or Arakakoa

TheLaughingOne

I think i might be interested...

Bounty hunter the rogue had as an underworld contact. Used to not doing much more then grabbing noname bandits for thr coin, occasionally eliminating the minor monster that heroes cant be assed to take care of..
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Foxy DeVille

The temptation to play a princess/groupie is strong. Like it was no coincidence she was always getting kidnapped.

JoanieSappho

The cleric's 2edgy5me wannabe-warlock kid sister, maybe? Talks all big about having the forces of hell/The Old Ones at her fingertips and the deep dark torture of her darkened soul, but secretly likes pretty dresses, cakes and cuddly toys and such.

"I-I have no idea what you mean! It's not a doll, it ... it's an effigy to channel the burning empty darkness that fills my soul into the minds of my victims!"
"You were having a tea party with it."
"Sh-shut up!"

Muse

*aplauds* 

Oh, lord! 

Not sure if I can find a concept, but I _have_ to aplaude you, Joanie! 

Hm... 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

TheLaughingOne

Hahahah!!! I freaking love it Joanie!!

I would love the game to be 5e, make random chars for it all the time and had some great fun, so that sys has my vote!

In terms of pcs getting killed, instead have something embarassing happen, not like a little thing, but huge embarassments, the kind you move to annew town and change your name. But as fate has sunk its hooks in, they cant turn back. Sonething keeps happening to stop thrm...
My Ons and Offs!

You! On our wavelength! Carry our message, its heavy! Made of rocks!! Apocolypso dancing! SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY! You'll want to cut your wrists with the whole knife, but you'll only need the edge!

Chulanowa

I lay claim to the poncy bard-type! Everyone needs a troupe of traveling troubadors traipsing about

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Revelation

Definitely interested! Like the idea of playing a paladin's aide or the like who gets thrust into the position himself.

TheLaughingOne

Just cause.. limitations or specifics on chargen? Aside from Level 3...? Im bored, and want to make my character:3
My Ons and Offs!

Guancyto

Okay! That's some interest!

Let's do...

D&D 5e.
1st level screw it, 3rd level. 1st-level characters either don't survive as hero sidekicks or don't stay 1st level.
No Variant Humans.
Point-buy or array only.

For lethality, I had a couple of ideas:
1. Start with not-Fate points, which you can use to automatically succeed at a death saving throw, or fall unconscious for the rest of the scene if massive damage would instantly kill you. The Dark Heresy option.
2. No fate points, you just plain automatically make your last death saving throw, so nobody bleeds out, and you fall unconscious (and are unable to be revived) for the rest of the scene  if massive damage would instantly kill you.
3. Instead of a TPK, you get captured by whatever it was you were fighting (or by passers-by, if you were fighting a bear), and wind up having to escape

Quote from: Foxy Oni on September 12, 2016, 12:40:48 AM
The temptation to play a princess/groupie is strong. Like it was no coincidence she was always getting kidnapped.
Bit of a confession, this is in part inspired by the bits in the Mario RPGs where Princess Peach has to roll up her sleeves and starts kicking everybody's butt.

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 12, 2016, 03:42:47 AM
I lay claim to the poncy bard-type! Everyone needs a troupe of traveling troubadors traipsing about
Aw yeah. Baaaaaaaards! (I mean, there doesn't just have to be one bard; you can't really go wrong with adding more bards to things)

Quote from: TheLaughingOne on September 12, 2016, 12:24:36 AM
I think i might be interested...

Bounty hunter the rogue had as an underworld contact. Used to not doing much more then grabbing noname bandits for thr coin, occasionally eliminating the minor monster that heroes cant be assed to take care of..
Just as a note, I was thinking a little more of a personal connection than just an occasional contact. Someone who was present for the heroes' lives (maybe the rogue was also teaching him the sneaksman's trade, mostly as a lark and not very effectively?) Sort of like-
Quote from: JoanieSappho on September 12, 2016, 12:57:21 AM
The cleric's 2edgy5me wannabe-warlock kid sister, maybe? Talks all big about having the forces of hell/The Old Ones at her fingertips and the deep dark torture of her darkened soul, but secretly likes pretty dresses, cakes and cuddly toys and such.

"I-I have no idea what you mean! It's not a doll, it ... it's an effigy to channel the burning empty darkness that fills my soul into the minds of my victims!"
"You were having a tea party with it."
"Sh-shut up!"
Oh my goodness yes. I did not know I needed this in my life before now.

OberTitan

Is there still room on this? Because I'm thinking the paladin's manservant, a barbarian he "civilized" as crusaders are wont to do, who learned to speak by reading a book on etiquette.

"Pardon me sir, I appear to have lodged my axe in your chest cavity. I do apologize for the inconvenience."

Guancyto

Premier

Adventurers are famous for fucking anything even half way attractive on their way through a town and for this peasant girl stuck in a Community whose excitement mainly comes from not being eaten by kobolds and Corn, it's a bit surprising to learn that it was a group that included her mother. Not that she wants to think about that too hard.

Of course she'd never have known this if not for the fact it seems her fathers Sorceress powers were hereditary and came with Horns and a Tail. Neither of which she is at all used too.

Sadly while she has inherited incredible magical power, she's got no fucking clue how to use any of it and so is more of a walking magical disaster zone than a future hero. But it beats Corn. Anything beats Corn. Anything.

Chulanowa

Wait. Villagers in this world get eaten by corn? This is like the worst "In Soviet Russia..." joke.

;D

TheLaughingOne

ooohh... ... urgh.. just waking up. will try and think when find brain. blargh..
My Ons and Offs!

JoanieSappho

Yay! I also need to wake up, but will edit her sheet into here when I do. Also, how young are we going? 16? 18? Since, kid sister would be pretty close to one of those two numbers, I feel.
Of course now I need to find character images that aren't too young-looking ...
Also, quick question. If my warlock goes Pact of the Chain and gets a familiar, mind if I keep that mostly the same, but we go with it basically being a cute possessed plushie version of the creature, purely in appearance?Mechanically unchanged, just a reskin, basically.

Guancyto

Isn't there a thing where E just doesn't allow kid characters? So at least 16, probably, then.

I have no objection to reskinning basically anything so long as it obeys the same rules, you could have your eldritch blast be a swarm of obsidian butterflies now and again if you liked (but you couldn't use them for free caltrops), and a possessed plush quasit is awfully compelling.

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 12, 2016, 07:14:48 PM
Wait. Villagers in this world get eaten by corn? This is like the worst "In Soviet Russia..." joke.

;D
In autumn the village takes refuge in their homes from the roving corn menace, lest they be be set upon while yelling, "they're eating her! And they're going to eat me! Oh my gooooooooooooooood!"

It's a pretty corny way to die.

JoanieSappho

Quote from: Guancyto on September 12, 2016, 11:05:49 PM
Isn't there a thing where E just doesn't allow kid characters? So at least 16, probably, then.

I have no objection to reskinning basically anything so long as it obeys the same rules, you could have your eldritch blast be a swarm of obsidian butterflies now and again if you liked (but you couldn't use them for free caltrops), and a possessed plush quasit is awfully compelling.
In autumn the village takes refuge in their homes from the roving corn menace, lest they be be set upon while yelling, "they're eating her! And they're going to eat me! Oh my gooooooooooooooood!"

It's a pretty corny way to die.
Yeah, E's absolute minimum is 16. A fair few people say no lower than 18, though, was just seeing which you would go for.
Oh, and what about feats/the variant human traits?

Premier

Quote from: Chulanowa on September 12, 2016, 07:14:48 PM

;D

One of the perils in living in a world of magic is wizards are diiiiiiiicks.

Though I guess now my girl is a magic user she gets to learn that from the other side.

Guancyto

If none of your Wild Magic surges end in carnivorous corn, I will not be doing my job right.
Quote from: JoanieSappho on September 12, 2016, 11:20:37 PM
Yeah, E's absolute minimum is 16. A fair few people say no lower than 18, though, was just seeing which you would go for.
Oh, and what about feats/the variant human traits?
Age of consent in my state is 16 so it's not weird to me to have one in an a-rated game, but yeah, it's not the same everywhere.

Feats are a yes, variant human is a no.

AndyZ

It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

TheLaughingOne

... i got nothing. Sorry. Normally could bust something out thats funny and would fit.. but just lately my brain has gone pudding. And not even a good pudding.
My Ons and Offs!

JoanieSappho

I just sheet myself.
And I'm not entirely sure why, but she turned kinda ... kinky as hell. Partly I blame that Generic fantasy World map. 'Incest & Intrigue' gave me ideas.
Also I may have a slight hypnofetish thing ...

Sheet

Name: Whisper Moonsoul Crowheart. Or, as her parents and everyone else seems intent on calling her: Peach Tanner
Orientation: Uncertain (Bi)
Race: Human
Class: Warlock
Level: 3
Personality/History: Born and raised in a family devoted to the god of light, Peach, or Whisper as she tries to go by these days, was the rebel of her family, trying to throw herself into the darkness as soon as she was able. Unfortunately she is, by nature, a sweet, playful girl who has an inordinate fondness for pretty, frilly dresses, soft cuddly toys and cute things in general. Also, despite her best attempts, she is just plain bad at being dark and mysterious, although she seems not to notice this.
However, as much as she wanted to be the opposite of everyone else in her family she was always close with her big brother, possibly to rather unusual levels of affection. When he went missing she couldn't just stay back any longer. She needs her big brother and just has to go and find him again.

Strength: 11
Dexterity: 14
Constitution: 12
Intelligence: 12
Wisdom: 14
Charisma: 16

AC: 13
HP: 27
Proficiency Bonus: +2

Proficiencies
Gear: Light Armour
Weapons: Simple Weapons
Tools: None
Saves: Wisdom, Charisma
Skills: Arcana, History, Deception, Perception, Insight, Religion

Skill Bonuses

Athletics: +0
Acrobatics: +2
Sleight of Hand: +2
Stealth: +2
Arcana: +3
History: +3
Investigation: +1
Nature: +1
Religion: +3
Animal Handling: +2
Insight: +4
Medicine: +2
Perception: +2
Survival: +2
Deception: +5
Intimidation: +3
Performance: +3
Persuasion: +5

Equipment
2 daggers: 1d4+2 piercing, Finesse, light, thrown 20/60: Attack roll: +4
Spea: 1d6 piercing, thrown, range 20/60, Versatile (1d8): Attack: +2
Light Crossbow: 1d8 piercing damage, loading, two-handed, range 80/320: Attack roll: +4
20 bolts, component pouch, dungeoneer's pack, leather armour, holy Symbol, Prayer book, 5 sticks of incense, vestments, common clothes, 215 gp
Stone of Good Luck: +1 to ability checks and saving throws

Background
Acolyte
Trait: I see omens in every event and action. The gods try to speak to us, we just need to listen.
Ideal: I seek to prove myself worthy of the Old One's favour. Notice me, tentacly one!
Bond: I would die to recover an ancient relic that was lost long ago.
Flaw: Once I pick a goal, I become obsessed with it to the detriment of everything else in my life.

Feature: Shelter of the Faithful.

Spells
Spell save DC: 13 (8+proficiency bonus + cha mod)
Spell Attack Modifier: +5 (Proficiency bonus + cha mod)
Spell Slots: 2
Spell Slot Level: 2

Cantrips Known
Chill Touch: 1d8necrotic damage, ranged spell attack. Target cannot regain hit points until caster's next turn. Undead also suffer disadvantage on attack rolls against the caster.
Eldritch Blast: 1d10 force damage, 120 ft, ranged spell attack.

Level 1 Spells Known
Dissonant Whispers: Target capable of hearing within 60 ft must make a Wisdom save. On fail, takes 4d6 psychic damage and must use its reaction to move as far as possible away from caster. On success, half damage and no other effect,
(Damage increases by 1d6 for each spell slot level above first - currently 4d6)
Arms of Hadar: All creatures within 10 ft get tentacled, must make Str saving throw. On fail, 3d6 necrotic damage and target can't take reactions until the caster's next turn. On success, half damage and no other effect. (Damage increases by 1d6 for each spell slot level above 1st - currently 3d6)
Charm Person: Target makes a Wis saving throw (with advantage if party is fighting them). If save fails, the creature regards caster as a friendly acquaintance for one hour. (For each spell slot level above 1st, one additional target within 30 ft can be targeted - currently 2 targets)

Level 2 Spells Known
Crown of Madness: One humanoid within 120 feet must take a Wis save or become charmed for up to 1 minute (requires concentration). While charmed, jagged crown of iron appears on target's head and must use it's action, before moving, to make a melee attack against a creature other than itself that the caster chooses, or can act normally instead. Caster must use action each turn to retain control, and target can make Wis saves each turn. On success, spell ends.

Class Features
Patron - The Great Old One
Awakened Mind: Can communicate telepathically with any creature within 30 ft
Expanded Spell List : Dissonant Whispers, Tasha's Hideous Laughter added as 1st level spells that can be learned. Detect Thoughts, Phantasmal Force added as 2nd level spells.

Pact Boon
Pact of the Chain
Imp familiar. Can use attack action to allow familiar to make an attack.

Eldritch Invocations
Beguiling Influence: Gain proficiency in Deception and Persuasion
Voice of the Chain Master: Can communicate telepathically with familiar and perceive through its senses. Also, can speak through it in Peach's own voice.

Character Ons: Virgin, has little real idea or knows her kinks yet. BUT; Lots of cuddling, kissing, and general soft foreplay, she also has an oral fixation (giving mouth-based breast, cock, ball, vaginal and foot worship, sucking fingers, other peoples' lactation), oral (giving), large breasts, large penises, mentally dominating/corrupting others, submissive partners, making strong-willed people behave submissively towards her, hypnotizing others, pet play. Has had fantasies of turning others into obedient 'dolls' and dressing them up and then 'playing' with them in both childish and very adult ways. Tentacles. Very into tentacles, and wants tentacles to get very into her. Also, very probable massively incesty obsession with big brother cleric.
Character Offs: Anything involving pain, either hers or others', anal, blood, toilet stuff, being restrained (although the player wouldn't mind seeing that one happen)

Relikai

I have a Male Half Elf Dual Wielder Paladin Ready, a Male Wood Elf Ranger-Rogue, and a female Human Monk ready to create if there's still space here :)