Sentinel City - Interest Check (A light superhero themed gender bender game)

Started by AribethAmkiir, June 07, 2012, 11:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caitlin

Yeah, that'd be fun as well and then in a battle you'd be like, "Hey that move is familiar, I taught it to... Oh... Wait a second!"

I think this story will be lots of fun. ^_^

Oh, also a question for you Callie, basically your character's weakness comes down to being able to use the super power only for short periods of time?

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caitlin on June 12, 2012, 01:45:26 AM
Yeah, that'd be fun as well and then in a battle you'd be like, "Hey that move is familiar, I taught it to... Oh... Wait a second!"

I think this story will be lots of fun. ^_^

Oh, also a question for you Callie, basically your character's weakness comes down to being able to use the super power only for short periods of time?

Still trying to figure how much she can do without going into 'eating an all you can eat buffet into bankruptcy'.

Caitlin

You could always add something like, "If she uses your power a prolonged time it drives her insane and makes her an unpredictable danger, both for enemies, her allies and herself."

That could be better weakness maybe? It'd also add more fun if you start doing crazy stuff, like beating on your chest as if you were Tarzan and making jungle sounds, or throwing a pie at one of your friends and start a food fight, generally things that make people go 'Wtf?'

I think Ari mostly wanted this to be a light game for comical relief than anything serious. ;D

The weakness was just a random thought though, but I think something like that would be a lot of fun to have in. ;)

In a way it's also realistic since your mind would also speed up, otherwise you couldn't even keep up with your body. When your mind reaches a certain critical level, however, you start to think faster than your brains can process, which causes a form of insanity. (You end up thinking in loops because you can't store/ process the thoughts quickly enough.)

Callie Del Noire

So passing out or pigging out isn't good enough? Or getting drunk because she's tweaked the burning of sugar the wrong way?"

Caitlin

Oh no, you misunderstood me, I wasn't saying it wasn't good enough. I thought you weren't sure how to make the weakness work and figured I'd offer an alternative.

It's your character and your choices. I didn't want to give the impression that you would have to change it or anything, my apologies if you interpreted it that way.

I think that pigging out could be a lot of fun as well, if she suddenly runs off in the middle of a fight and starts eating like crazy. ;)

Callie Del Noire

Or having her 'boost' her metabolism too high or speaking at full speed.. which sounds like gibberish when she's working on.

Caitlin

Hehehe, you know those high pitched voices people have when taking some helium? Maybe it can be like that. ;D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caitlin on June 12, 2012, 02:26:46 AM
Hehehe, you know those high pitched voices people have when taking some helium? Maybe it can be like that. ;D

Or having problems with 'tweaking' somethings while at high speed. She's able to tune her metabolism.. but she's working at it from a layman's pov rather than the pov of a biochemist.

Caitlin

What would the 'something' be? A machine, some item, or her body? I'm not sure what you mean with that.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caitlin on June 12, 2012, 02:34:44 AM
What would the 'something' be? A machine, some item, or her body? I'm not sure what you mean with that.

Say she was drugged..and tries to burn it off.. the wrong 'tweak' and it's going from a sedative to a hallucinogen.

Caitlin

Oh cool, that could be fun too; to have a completely high or stoned super hero, trying to save the day! ;D

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Caitlin on June 12, 2012, 02:38:44 AM
Oh cool, that could be fun too; to have a completely high or stoned super hero, trying to save the day! ;D

That is why she's more than happy to stick to speedster tricks over tweaking her metabolism to pull off something esoteric. Sure..she can generate massive adrenaline surges to be strong and resilient..then spending day on dialysis recovering from said surge.

Caitlin

Hehe, it sounds like you got the weaknesses worked out well already, forget my earlier suggestions. :P

I'm looking forward to this game, it really sounds like it'll be a lot of fun. Any idea when you want to hit it off Ari?

AribethAmkiir

I want to reiterate that the event that switches the genders of the characters and gives them all super powers will happen during the introductory phase of the game.

Callie Del Noire

I'm cool with that.. jack going in for his treatment and waking up a girl.

Caitlin

Quote from: AribethAmkiir on June 12, 2012, 02:53:48 AM
I want to reiterate that the event that switches the genders of the characters and gives them all super powers will happen during the introductory phase of the game.
Will you describe this for each of our characters, or will you give us general guidelines of how that event happens and that we write it out ourselves?

I'm fine either way, but if it happens as part of an experiment in some kinda lab... Well... I just don't think that Alan would usually be picked as a test subject. Apart from his weird muttering and other anti-social habits he doesn't really stand out in a crowd as anything special. :-)

Of course you could have him picked up as an involuntary subject. ;)

AribethAmkiir

The OOC threads for this game are now live.

OOC-Plot Thread - refer to this for game related info (players please bookmark)

The OOC funhouse - place for players to chat, BS, and whatever else.

Latooni Subota

Today is going to be my day off!  . . . after I sleep. So yeah, this's gonna be the first thing I finish after I wake up. Ciao!
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.

AribethAmkiir

Apologies if this is somewhere else, I thought I had already posted it but now I can't find the post.

I will not be accepting any more characters for this game.  Exception: If you've already posted interest I have kept a spot open for you and am awaiting your character sheet.  Please PM them to me and check in on the OOC-Plot thread.

Thanks,
-Ari

Muse

* sighs*  And here I thought I was so original, throwing in the youthful regeneration.  ^_^;; 

If other people are using the same process, maybe I shouldn't play up the failed experiments so badly? 

I like the power framework, Callie.  :) 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Caitlin

Quote from: Muse on June 12, 2012, 06:42:22 AM
   * sighs*  And here I thought I was so original, throwing in the youthful regeneration.  ^_^;; 

If other people are using the same process, maybe I shouldn't play up the failed experiments so badly? 

I like the power framework, Callie.  :) 
Lol, Wolverine is the original character that came up with that power and he's been around for decades already. ;)

Doesn't make it any less cool though.

Heck, I based my character's power on the pipe bomb from L4D. It has a shiny light and makes a big explosion, I figured I might as well use that as inspiration for a villain. If it's original? Probably not, I think it's been done before, but that doesn't make it any less fun. ;D

Muse

Hm? 

No, no, my power is more like Banshee. 

Wolverine didn't get his powers in an experiment that regressed his age, and Jericho doesn't regenerate or have an extended lifespan. 

That said, Aribeth, did you mean for everyone to get their superpowers during that explosion? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Muse on June 12, 2012, 01:34:29 PM
Hm? 

No, no, my power is more like Banshee. 

Wolverine didn't get his powers in an experiment that regressed his age, and Jericho doesn't regenerate or have an extended lifespan. 

That said, Aribeth, did you mean for everyone to get their superpowers during that explosion?

The two 'young uns' could be the result of an experimental process (or two I would suggest) and when they were relocated to a long term coma care unit that was where they got exposed to the 'gender bomb'.

AribethAmkiir

Guys, move these discussions to the plot thread please.  But yes, what Callie suggested is plausible, and yes everyone gets their gender swapped and powers in the same explosion.

Latooni Subota

Dooone! I adjusted things a bit, did a little blatent stealing after reading some comics to re-inspire myself, aaaaand we're good! Say hello to Otaku, the biggest nerd you'll ever meet. Or see get squished by an anvil. Ari, if you want, we can chat via PM or IM or something to set down some hard limits/rules for her powers . . . but at the moment I'm rolling with her powers working in weird and unexpected ways to hamper her just as much as she tries to mess with a hero. Also, despite being nearly-unstoppable when dealing with normal people, superheroes tend to . . uh . . critical hit her pretty easily, so to speak. Lol

Credit for the actual superhero image goes to Adam Warren's Empowered. >.>

Name: Rin Morimoto
Alias: Otaku
Alignment: Villain
Prior Occupation: Unemployed student living off of monthly stipends from a small inheritence before starting college.

Personality: Both before and after the Event, Rin is first and foremost a big honkin' nerd. The sheer amount of money spent on everything from bootleg VHS and DVDs of cartoons and anime to comic books and video games proves that. She's pretty shy when out-of-costume, tending to speak softly and keep to herself most of the time, especially to avoid conflict. She's nice, but has a bit of a greedy and lazy streak to her, as well as a submissive one. Now, when she puts on the costume? That added bit of anonymity gives her self-esteem a pretty big boost. She gets much more active, outgoing, and joking. While disguised she goes for what she wants, when she wants, and damn the consequences!

Appearance:

Rin is a fairly pretty japanse-american, standing at just a hair over five-feet tall, with a lightly muscled swimmer's build. She's rather proud of her curves though, with a just over modest bust, and a particularly eye-catching bottom. Her hair is long and black, reaching down to the small of her back, just a tiny bit wavy. Her skin is just a bit pale, but her love of swimming has helped make it a bit healthier lately. She prefers to wear very modest clothing most of the time . . except when she's wearing cosplay that involve masks, THEN her wardrobe gets . . interesting.

When in her 'supervillain' guise, things get a bit . . . different. Somehow, she ends up being a full 5'6" with long blond hair and more caucasian features than before. Her muscles seem a bit more pronounced as well, but the biggest difference is her curves. She's a good deal more curvy and eye-catching as Otaku than Rin, happily showing off her delightful bottom and larger breasts in her skin-hugging suit. She has no idea WHY she physically changes, but she figures it's some weird mix of The Great Plot making her more interesting, and the silly tropes of female villains needing to be extra-sexy.

History: Rin Morimoto was never the most popular kid around, but damnit, older women seemed to just love him! As a child, the scrawny asian lad was just the sweetest little angel around. He learned his manners early on, and was always asking if he could help nannies and teachers with anything they needed, much to their delight. When the bullying started against him, he always seemed to get preferential treatment, like a proper teacher's pet.

Well, if you wanted to make a kid spoiled, then that was surely the way to do it! Rin grew up feeling rather privileged, though smart enough to not brag about his treatment by the adults thanks to some early beatings in dodgeball and other playground activities. While putting on a good face, he grew a bit more shy around most people his age, and turned to more nerdly pursuits in his free time. A healthy allowance assured him of getting his hands on any toys he wanted, and was soon collecting all manner of video games and figurines. He really did become a pretty huge nerd in a very short time.

Some . . issues with other students, as well as an oddly timed death in the family giving him a small inheritence, led to him making the decision to move out early. Finding Sentinel City's high level of technology interesting, he decided to finish up his high school career there with the help of his inheritence. Surrounded by all manner of new people who seemed to be more well-off than he was helped squash his ego a bit more, and led him to being even more shy and reserved in public, as he graduated 5th in his class. Rather than immediately dive back into college, he decided to take a year off to enjoy living as a nerdly bachelor.

Super powers: Cartoon Physics

Otaku's superpowers are at once simple, and needlessly complex. She no longer works by the rules of reality, and now obeys cartoon physics.  Everything just seems to get utterly weird around her. First of all, when she goes 'super' mode, she goes from a slightly curvy and pretty asian girl, to a bombastic blond bombshell in a skintight bodysuit! She also has access to number of . . . items, that she can pull out of nowhere, to utilize in any situation. Tommy Guns, Bombs, falling objects from the sky . . it seems like there's almost nothing her powers can't do! . .  Kinda. An interesting side effect of her powers is how she never seems to get hurt more than bumps and bruises, if anything, instead getting quickly exhausted and tired. Well, that and what happens to her costume . . .

"Random List of Cartoony Examples"
Please note that all powers and abilities are subject to immediate change at the whims and mercy of The Plot. This is not something Otaku likes. She used to have a working bazooka, and now it shoots more banana peels instead of explosives!

Quick Change: One of her more useful tricks, Otaku can walk out of view and immediately come back into view either in her curvacious supervillain body, or her normal asian one. Note: Revolving doors and Convenient Phone Booths are best for this, as well as closets.

Not-So-Invulnerable: As long as some of her costume remains on her body, Otaku's body utilizes cartoon physics to keep her nearly invulnerable. At most she'll suffer scratches and bruises, never any truly broken bones or worse. The real problem is the exhaustion that comes from being shot with guns or kicked around by a superhero. She IS a big nerd after all, and the suit exchanging damage for exhaustion is a pretty big problem for her, limiting the amount of time she can actually use her powers.

Don't Look Down: Like a modern day coyote, she can walk off ledges and rooftops without actually falling . . . as long as she doesn't look down. Sadly, yells of "OH MY GOD LOOK AT THAT WOMAN! SHE'S GONNA FALL!" tend to be enough to make her forget and look down.

Giant Mallet: Fairly strong hammer pulled out of hammerspace, but for some reason unable to be used on females. Go figure!

Banana Peel: The most obvious trick in the book, but with enough of them even a car can skid to a stop. Otaku is prone to laying them down and forgetting about them, leading to herself slipping on them.

Blow-Up Hand: By blowing into her thumb, she can make her fist comically oversized. Lends a good deal more 'punch' to her punch, but doesn't actually enhance the rest of her body's strength.

The Shotgun: Pulling a shotgun on someone is a great way to intimidate them! Sadly, her shotgun is incapable of doing more than cover someone's face in soot and frizz out their hair.

Corner Brick Wall: When in doubt, flee around a corner! There's always a brick wall suddenly right around the corner, for someone not paying attention to run into! . . Assuming Otaku doesn't misjudge the distance and run into it herself.

Pie Time: Otaku has an unlimited supply of pies to fling at people's faces. They're all in regular pie tins, with no explosives in them or anything, but the pies themselves are surprisingly well-made and come in a myriad of flavors.

Sweet Trap: She can't use this one too often, but it's certainly an ominous trick. A loud whistling sound comes from the sky, as a shadow covers the target. Anything from an anvil, to a piano or safe falls down in an attempt to crush someone! Sadly, it's another REALLY obvious attack, and has a secret. If someone avoids it the object will smash into the ground with the proper amount of force and destructiveness. If it hits someone? It'll bounce off their head and give them a rather mild concussion at most, complete with little birdies flying above them. Occasionally though, it'll momentarily inflict her cartoon physics on someone it hits, flattening them like an accordian for a few minutes.

Portable Hole: This is her favorite escape trick . . sorta. She pulls a black hole out of her pocket, sticks it on the ground or a wall, and climbs through it to appear on the other side of an object. Sadly . . . her uh . . 'super' body is a little TOO curvy to fit through it, without some creative squirming.

Painted Tunnel: This is a much more reliable way to escape over long distances, since she doesn't get stuck halfway! Aggrevatingly, this tends to 'pick up' a big bus or truck that promptly drives through the tunnel at high speed, when she's standing in the way, maybe 50% of the time.

Bomb!: Another obvious move, she can pull out big black balls with a lit wick, and the word BOMB written across them to throw at people. These actually work too, though the wicks last anywhere from a second to twenty seconds of awkward sitting around, waiting for an explosion that won't actually kill or maim a living person, despite possible property damage.

Uncontrollable Tommygun: She has a tommygun that has so much kickback she can barely keep the bullets headed in the same direction! The damage it deals is more like being pelted with golf balls than deadly bullets, but still, surprisingly effective if she can actually HIT with it.

Joker's Trick: If she wants a more accurate weapon, she pulls out two exceedingly long revolvers. Now these things really pack a wallop . . . when they're not popping out little flags that say BANG! on them . . .

Finger Beats Gun: Did you know that if you stick your finger inside the barrel of a gun, it won't fire? Well, it works that way for Otaku!

Weaknesses: It's really not that great for a rising supervillain, when it turns out that her powers can't actually kill anyone. At best, all of her efforts lead to bruising and a few broken bones, if she's really lucky. It just seems like whenever she's around, nobody dies. Period. Even more embarassing, her powers tend to backfire on her at the most inopportune moments, or just aren't practical for her to use. Embarassingly enough, other superpowered attacks seem to knock her about with ease, or tear her costume to ribbons. It's just like everything seems to end up going wrong for her, 90% of the time!

Player’s Ons/Offs: Generally, I have a lot of things I like or am willing to do, and a few dislikes and hard no's. If I'm in a submissive stance, and dealing with someone tall/strong/beautiful/handsome/dominant . . we're probably good. More details in my preferences page: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=13273
ONs and OFFs be here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=64984.0

If I'm needed to post somewhere, PLEASE PM me about it. Sometimes I lose track of threads and need to be reminded about things.