ARCTICA [Story Emphasis] [Hard Sci-Fi] [Closed]

Started by Question Mark, June 21, 2014, 12:43:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Question Mark

IC Thread
OOC Thread
Brief
Dossiers

Welcome to the recruitment thread for ARCTICA.  This is not your typical group game.

You are a scientist, a career researcher.  Your discipline is most likely astrobiology, cosmochemistry, immunology, geology, astronomy, military technology, or archaeology.  You're rather esteemed in your chosen field, having authored dozens of papers on your specialty, or perhaps you're a rising star, a brilliant intellectual bringing a fresh perspective to the community.  Whether you work in academia, private industry, or within your nation's military, you are an expert within your field, whether your peers acknowledge it or not.

Regardless of your profession, you have a profound professional secret.  Several years ago, your government offered you the opportunity to join ARCTICA: an elite research team comprised of a diverse group of scientists, engineers, and military personnel from a small handful of powerful nations.

"Continue your research," they said.  "We will send you objects and information, which you will analyze as instructed.  We will guarantee your research funding and your family security.  You will tell no one, or these guarantees will be immediately revoked."

Perhaps you were hesitant and anxious.  Maybe you leaped at the opportunity, eager to seize the day.  You may have been motivated by the desire to seek the recognition you lacked within your field, or you simply considered it an intriguing proposition.  More likely than not, you saw the veiled threat for what it was, and wisely decided to acquiesce to their wishes.

Until just a moment ago, it was the best decision you ever made.

Plot:
-- This takes place in the modern day.  This is hard science fiction, which is to say that there are no supernatural elements, no hand-wavey phlebotinum or technobabble, and everything that happens is at least theoretically possible given our current understanding of reality.  I don't expect you to write like Clarke or Asimov, but I would appreciate it if you didn't take excessive liberties with the laws of physics.
-- Genre elements that are guaranteed to appear include mystery and science fiction.  Action, horror, and suspense are likely.
-- Given how dependent some aspects of the plot are on your character, additional story details will be revealed as Dossiers are submitted.  Of course, you can always infer what you will from the items in the Brief.

Recruitment Criteria
-- You must be an excellent writer.
-- You must be willing to commit to a long term game.
-- You must be willing to try a new immersive approach to interactive Play-by-Post roleplaying.
-- You must be able to post at least once every three days for the foreseeable future.
-- Maximum of three players, total.

Game Mechanics
-- The game is freeform and PbP.  You will control one character while I will control all other aspects of the setting.
-- This game is specifically designed to blur the boundaries between OOC and IC.  There will be a dedicated repository of OOC information that you can access, interact with, and even modify while IC. This is called the Brief, and it will be periodically updated with real world items as the game progresses.  If you're interested in this game, I strongly suggest you read it.  Not only is it designed to immerse you in the setting and create a new dimension for your character to express himself or herself, but the information within will often be invaluable for surviving while IC.
-- Outside of the Brief, the IC setting will bleed over into the OOC thread and even into your PM mailbox.  More info to come on this once the game begins.
-- I want to intimately involve every character with the plot and setting.  More than mere vehicles for exploring the world of ARCTICA, your character will become deeply involved with the setting and develop integral relationships to the plot.  In order to accomplish this, I will work with every player on their character's backstory and unique subplot during recruitment and throughout the game proper.
-- No matter how much effort I put into this game, your enjoyment will always be directly proportional to your degree of investment.  I will seed all aspects of the game with clues, hints, suggestions, and codes.  You can ignore these if you wish, but I genuinely believe you will garner much more satisfaction from this experience if you become an active participant striving to connect the dots.

Miscellania
-- I'll be upfront: this game will have a lot of words.  I am very technically minded, and will often go into deep detail, both OOC and IC.  As you can tell by looking at this first post, I go very in depth, and I expect you to follow along.  If reading ain't your thing, you may want to reconsider submitting a Dossier.
-- This game is principally story-focused.  That is to say, I anticipate the emphasis will be primarily on characterization, plot, and dramatic tension.  This does not prohibit smut by any means, but don't expect it to be an integral part of the game.  The majority of mature and adult elements in this game will be of a non-sexual nature.
-- I lead a very busy life.  While I absolutely love writing on E, sometimes other things take priority.  This will therefor be a moderate-to-slow paced game.  There may be periods where we go a week without a post, although these should be few and far between.
-- Don't take my serious tone the wrong way.  Even if I never use exclamation points or smileys, I'm here to have fun.  Honest.

DOSSIER

WARNING: CONFIDENTIAL
VIOLATION RESULTANT IN CONSIDERATION OF NATO PENAL CODE A-0111, INDEFINITE DETENTION

Please fill out the following form and confirm all facts within are true before submitting.  If there are discrepancies, or if the dossier concerns someone not yourself, please correct the errors and inform Commander King.  If the information you provide conflicts with our records, NATO Penal Code A-0111, Indefinite Detention, will be considered.

[b]FULL NAME[/b]:
[b]ACADEMIC DEGREES[/b]: [Include granting university and year of graduation]
[b]CITIZENRY[/b]: [Include any former and/or revoked citizenries]
[b]SEX[/b]:
[b]AGE[/b]:
[b]DATE of BIRTH[/b]:
[b]PLACE of BIRTH[/b]: [If country of birth differs from CITIZENRY, elaborate]
[b]CURRENT ADDRESS[/b]:
[b]NEXT of KIN[/b]:

[b]APPEARANCE[/b]: [Please attach photo or likeness (.jpg or .png, no larger than 2gb).  Photo or likeness must accurately represent the individual and be no older than six months.]
[b]ETHNICITY[/b]:
[b]HEIGHT[/b]:
[b]WEIGHT[/b]:
[b]SKIN COLOR[/b]:
[b]EYE COLOR[/b]:
[b]HAIR COLOR/STYLE[/b]:
[b]TATTOOS[/b]:
[b]BIRTHMARKS or SCARS[/b]:
[b]OTHER NOTABLE MARKS or PHYSICAL TRAITS[/b]:

[b]BIOGRAPHY[/b]: [Informal summary.  Although thoroughness is encouraged, ensure that at least the most recent two years are detailed.  Earlier life history is optional]

[b]CURRENT OCCUPATION[/b]:

[b]PERSONALITY[/b]: [Informal summary]
[b]PHOBIAS[/b]:
[b]HOBBIES[/b]:
[b]RELIGIOUS BELIEFS[/b]:
[b]CRIMES[/b]: [Note: Only list those that resulted in convictions]
[b]ADDICTIONS[/b]: [Include any and all substance or mental addictions suffered, past or present]

[b]CURRENT PHYSICAL ILLNESSES[/b]:
[b]CURRENT MENTAL, NEUROLOGICAL, or PSYCHOLOGICAL ILLNESSES[/b]:
[b]CURRENT MEDICATIONS[/b]:
[b]VACCINATIONS[/b]: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Vaccination Form A to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]

[b]PHYSICAL FITNESS REPORT[/b]: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-2 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]
[b]OFFICIAL PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM[/b]: [Note: No input required.  Please Attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-5 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the Form here]

[b]ADDITIONAL NOTES[/b]: [If needed]

[spoiler=][b]OFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS[/b]: RESERVED: DO NOT WRITE HERE[/spoiler]

[b]SURVEY [/b]-- PLEASE COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITIES.

[u]In your own words, describe [i]why [/i]you conduct the research you do[/u]:

[u]Do you own a personal telescope[/u]:
... [u]If Yes, Describe what you use it for[/u]: [Make and model optional]

[u]Have you ever been to Antarctica before[/u]:
... [u]If Yes, Have you ever been to Vostok Station before[/u]:
... [u]If Yes, What was the date, length, and purpose of your visit[/u]:

[u]HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED TO THE CRUEL STARS AND DEMANDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT[/u]: [DO NOT DESPAIR]

[u]Have you ever been diagnosed with any form of cancer, elephantitis, chronic lymphedema, or a tropical parasite[/u]:
... [u]If Yes, Elaborate[/u]:
... [u]If Yes, Are you sexually active[/u]:

[u]Are you trained in the operation of military assault rifles, pistols, hunting rifles, or any other firearm[/u]:
... [u]If Yes, Elaborate[/u]:

[u]List any medical certifications and/or licenses you currently possess[/u]: [For example, CPR, First Aid, EMT, etc.]

[u]Are you certified to pilot a C-130 Hercules aeroplane[/u]:

Question Mark

BRIEF

WARNING: EYES ONLY, TOP SECRET
VIOLATION RESULTANT IN CONSIDERATION OF NATO PENAL CODE A-9912, IMMEDIATE TERMINATION

There has been an incident.  Your timetable has been accelerated accordingly.  0000.06072014 ___ 78.28S106.48E

PLEASE REFER TO:
[1] "Scientists Find Life in the Cold and Dark Under Antarctic Ice" -- New York Times, Civilian Journalism
[2] Vostok Station Geographical Review -- Russian Government
[3] Data Packet VOK-20140613-094 -- Vostok Transmission.  Attached Text: "ARCTICA"
[4] "International Space Station Gets Life Extension Through 2024" -- Space.com, Civilian Journalism
[5] "Chelyabinsk Airburst, Damage Assessment, Meteorite Recovery, and Characterization" -- Scientific Publication [doi: 10.1126/science.1242642]
[6] Soyuz TMA-12M Touchdown -- Aerial Photograph, 20 km. N [REDACTED] Kazahkstan, 0201.19062014
[7] American Meteor Society Events -- Attached Text: "600% increase in [REDACTED] events between 2005 and 2013 over continental America.  Assumed representative of global rates.  Indicative of geometric increase in global meteor landfalls per year."
[8] "Abrupt climate change at the end of the last glacial period inferred from trapped air in polar ice" -- Scientific Publication (doi: 10.1126/science.286.5441.930).  Attached Text: "Bølling Transition, 14.5 ky B.P.  Suggest measurements may be off due to ARCTICA and [REDACTED], adjust +5.5 ky B.P."
[9] Summated Post-Analysis Representation of Data Packet ISS/ARC-06212014-00019897 -- Attached Text: "Final Transmission: 'Everything is going to be alright.  She found us.'  Language: Russian.  Security: Null encryption.  Risk: HIGH."
[10] TUNG-01 -- Attached Text: "Original photograph, Tunguska, Russia, 07011908.  2.1km from [REDACTED].  Note: impact force considerably greater than the Rona Event, likely due to terrain shielding in the latter instance."
[11] "Was there a Prehistoric Civilization in Antarctica?" -- Pravda, Civilian Journalism.  Attached Text: "Controlled release of information, careful control of public media, and rapid internal responses to infosec breaches allow us to marginalize and 'conspirarize' leaks.  [REDACTED].  It's easier to swallow a pill than it is to swallow air, and there's no need to shoot the pharmacist." -Czar
[12] Modified SR-71, 2nd Generation Spaceplane Mk. X-9, Ao Qin -- Attached Text: "Recently commissioned, [REDACTED] manufactured the Ao Qin in a remarkably short time.  This specific craft was then used in a successful trans-Kármán mission less than two months after closure of the testing phase, crewed by [REDACTED].  While some mission objectives were not met, the Ao Qin nonetheless performed far above our expectations."
NEW FILE --> [13] Sketch from Field Notes of Dr. Aimes -- Attached Text: "Some kind of formal prayer?  Certainly possesses spiritual meaning, but what is the message?  How are these cities and Monolith related?"

GloomCookie

WARNING: CONFIDENTIAL
VIOLATION RESULTANT IN CONSIDERATION OF NATO PENAL CODE A-0111, INDEFINITE DETENTION

Please fill out the following form and confirm all facts within are true before submitting.  If there are discrepancies, or if the dossier concerns someone not yourself, please correct the errors and inform Commander King.  If the information you provide conflicts with our records, NATO Penal Code A-0111, Indefinite Detention, will be considered.

FULL NAME: Zoey Ariana Calhoun
ACADEMIC DEGREES: Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering, Louisiana Tech University, 2006
Masters of Science in Quantum Mechanics, Louisiana Tech University, 2008
Doctorate in Optics and Quantum Mechanics, MIT, 2011
CITIZENRY: United States of America (Native Citizen)
SEX: Female
DATE of BIRTH: Friday, April 13, 1984
PLACE of BIRTH: Monroe, Louisiana
CURRENT ADDRESS: 660 Washington Street, Apartment 4, Boston, MA 02111
NEXT of KIN: Jacqueline Paige Calhoun (Mother)

APPEARANCE:
ETHNICITY: Caucasian
HEIGHT: 162cm
WEIGHT: 61kg
SKIN COLOR: Ivory
EYE COLOR: Emerald
HAIR COLOR/STYLE: Light Golden Brown
TATTOOS: Medical emergency information tattooed below right shoulder.
BIRTHMARKS or SCARS: Scar on back of right hand from vehicle accident, 2000
OTHER NOTABLE MARKS or PHYSICAL TRAITS: N/A

BIOGRAPHY: Born in Monroe, Louisiana in 1984 to Ronald Miguel and Jacqueline Paige Calhoun, eldest of three children.  Father worked as a general laborer until 1996 when he became an HR manager at the International Paper plant, while Jacqueline worked in retail.  During high school, Zoey made decent grades, was fairly popular but otherwise had an unremarkable high school.

In 2002 began attending a nearby university, Louisiana Tech, for Electrical Engineering.  While talking to one of the professors, Dr. Emmanuel Buchamp, she was encouraged to look into quantum mechanics and the interesting properties of photons and other quantum phenomena.  After graduating in 2006, Zoey was sponsored by Dr. Gregory Lavoie, a professor studying magnetics for the United States government.  Zoey would work closely under him while completing her masters in 2008, and would later transfer to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology after being recommended by Dr. Lavoie.

At MIT, Zoey worked in the Engineering Department, often working on lasers and other equipment, earning her a Top Secret security clearance while working on her doctorate.  Her thesis, titled "Optical Refraction within Super-Conducting Materials" was well received, and she was granted her doctorate in the spring of 2011.  Then September 11 happened, and Dr. Zoey Calhoun was asked by the United States Government to join a team conducting research into new weapons to use in the War on Terrorism.  She accepted, and was put on a team working to build laser weaponry to safely destroy artillery and missiles as a replacement to the PATRIOT missile defense system.

In 2006, the team was able to unveil the project as a prototype, which was tested and used to intercept rounds.  While it would be some time before the project could be fully implemented, the team was reassigned to other areas.  Dr. Calhoun was asked to look into more powerful computing was discussed, and from 2007 to 2012, Zoey worked on a team trying to use quantum states to replace binary computing.  While she would leave the team before it was completed, she had a small hand in the overall project, using electron spin to determine the orientation of an atom within a superposition in order to determine the atom's orientation without direct observation, to avoid the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.  The project was a success, and would go on to win a Nobel prize in physics.

Zoey left in 2012 to teach at MIT, where she currently is in charge of her own research project, trying to build more efficient laser systems that use less energy and less space.  She is also a lecturer, teaching electrical engineering and early, general engineering courses.  Thus far, she has yet to entertain anyone romantically, though she has become somewhat interested in another professor in the engineering department.

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Lecturer, MIT, Boston MA

PERSONALITY: Professional, courteous, natural leader.  She doesn't mind taking orders but can step in and take command naturally, and is always professional about everything she does.
PHOBIAS: Heights
HOBBIES: Model building, drawing, reading.
RELIGIOUS BELIEFS: Agnostic
CRIMES: Public Indecency, Ruston LA 2005
ADDICTIONS: Marijuana, 2004-2006; Amphetamines, 2005-2008

CURRENT PHYSICAL ILLNESSES: Diabetes, Type I
CURRENT MENTAL, NEUROLOGICAL, or PSYCHOLOGICAL ILLNESSES: N/A
CURRENT MEDICATIONS: Insulin
VACCINATIONS: MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella); TDAP (Tetanus/Diphtheria); Hepatitus B; Meningitis

PHYSICAL FITNESS REPORT: [Note: no input required.  Please attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-2 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the form here]
OFFICIAL PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM: [Note: No input required.  Please Attach Fitness Evaluation Form A-5 to dossier.  If desired, you may summarize the Form here]

ADDITIONAL NOTES: Patient suffers Type I Diabetes and must carry insulin at all times.  Patient is permitted small amounts of food unless in sterile environments to prevent complications.

OFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS: RESERVED: DO NOT WRITE HERE

SURVEY -- PLEASE COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITIES.

In your own words, describe why you conduct the research you do: Lasers are incredibly useful devices that we use daily to study the materials that make up our universe.  However, lasers of any appreciable power are somewhat limited in scope, mostly due to their size and cost.  My research is primarily focused on making lasers smaller and more economical, both for military and civilian use.

Do you own a personal telescope: Yes.
... If Yes, Describe what you use it for: I use my Celestron CGE Pro 1400HD to study the sky at night.  It's partially a hobby and also because I like watching the beautiful events, such as meteor showers, and filming them to put on YouTube for others to enjoy.

Have you ever been to Antarctica before: No.
... If Yes, Have you ever been to Vostok Station before:
... If Yes, What was the date, length, and purpose of your visit:

HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED TO THE CRUEL STARS AND DEMANDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT: [DO NOT DESPAIR]

Have you ever been diagnosed with any form of cancer, elephantitis, chronic lymphedema, or a tropical parasite: No.
... If Yes, Elaborate:
... If Yes, Are you sexually active:

Are you trained in the operation of military assault rifles, pistols, hunting rifles, or any other firearm: Yes.
... If Yes, Elaborate: Growing up in Louisiana, my Uncle Harold owned a small hunting camp in southern Arkansas that he would invite my dad and family up to.  I was always too little to go hunting, but he taught me everything to know about safely handling a firearm, shooting, and how to maintain a gun.  Harold passed away when I was 13, but my dad still takes me to shooting ranges when he comes to visit.  It's one of the things we do that the rest of the family has no interest in.

List any medical certifications and/or licenses you currently possess: CPR, First Aid

Are you certified to pilot a C-130 Hercules aeroplane: No.
My DeviantArt

Ons and Offs Updated 9 October 2022

Question Mark

That is a solid Dossier, Linna.  Very informative, but some sections raise more questions than they answer (this is a good thing).

Regardless, Dr. Calhoun appears to be a fine candidate for this operation.  I cannot accept her until the deadline, but keep an eye on your inbox.

EDIT: I forgot to mention this in the first post, but feel free to respond to the PMs IC if you wish.  This goes for anyone who submits a Dossier.

Blinkin

While this looks exceptionally interesting, the use of images in the character creation process and the briefs would make it difficult for me to ply.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Absenses & Apologies (Updated 3/02/23)
Blinkins' Thinkin's (Story Ideas)
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Question Mark

Quote from: Blinkin on June 22, 2014, 11:23:31 AM
While this looks exceptionally interesting, the use of images in the character creation process and the briefs would make it difficult for me to ply.

Why?

Blinkin

Quote from: Question Mark on June 22, 2014, 12:13:34 PM
Why?

As the line above says, "Yes, I REALLY am blind."

While I don't have problems with text and writing descriptively, images of any kind are like a blank screen. My screen reader cannot read anything put into an image as it's not "written" in a application as actual text.
"I am a Southern Gentleman, which means that I'm a rogue and a scoundrel. When I'm not kissin' the hands of married women, I'm slipping off their wedding rings."
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.
Being Literate is the ability to read and understand a language. When you ask for literate, what you are looking for is Verbosity, which is the ability to use lots of words without actually saying very much... like politicians. I consider myself both literate and verbose.

Question Mark

Quote from: Blinkin on June 22, 2014, 06:10:21 PM
As the line above says, "Yes, I REALLY am blind."

While I don't have problems with text and writing descriptively, images of any kind are like a blank screen. My screen reader cannot read anything put into an image as it's not "written" in a application as actual text.

Oh, I see.  I'll be honest, this does present a rather large problem.  While most of the items in the Brief will be text based, a significant portion of them will be images as well.  I don't want to preclude you from the game, but writing descriptions of the pictures would likely give too much away.  I strongly encourage discussion of the materials in the OOC though; maybe you can cooperate with another player on this, or listen in on the discussions?

On the other hand, the Brief, while exceptionally useful and an integral part of the game, is purely supplemental information.  The meat of the game will still be pure-text posts in the IC thread.

It's entirely up to you, of course.

GloomCookie

Blinkin, if you want I'd be happy to describe the images to you.  I can get fairly in depth and I can't reveal spoilers either.  If that's ok with you, of course.
My DeviantArt

Question Mark

Quote from: Linna on June 22, 2014, 07:39:07 PM
Blinkin, if you want I'd be happy to describe the images to you.  I can get fairly in depth and I can't reveal spoilers either.  If that's ok with you, of course.

Blinkin: I'll add that I'd be more than willing to strike the requirement for a character portrait in favor of a text description.

Blinkin

Linna, Question Mark,

Thank you for the offers, I do appreciate them. If someone is willing to find an image to fit the character, I don't mind adding it to a profile. It's just that I am incapable of doing so myself. I am very reluctant to make a GM's job more difficult than it already is, and if Linna is willing to help me with the images, then I would be very interested in  offering up a character and working out what needs to be done to make the character work in the setting. What concerned me most was the text in the brief from the Russian station, that was offered in an image. But, if Linna is willing to help me with that, between the OOC and IC info dumps, I don't foresee anything that I can't deal with. The only concern is that something vital in an image may be missed as seeming of minor importance, but we can certainly deal with it as it comes.

I would likely play an archeologist, perhaps from Oxford working in South-western France with a special empasis on the middle ages. Just to have something interesting to play with. I'll have to come up with a character sheet sometime this afternoon; my morning is going to be fairly full.

Thank both of you for your understanding.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Question Mark

Quote from: Blinkin on June 23, 2014, 05:54:03 AM
Linna, Question Mark,

Thank you for the offers, I do appreciate them. If someone is willing to find an image to fit the character, I don't mind adding it to a profile. It's just that I am incapable of doing so myself. I am very reluctant to make a GM's job more difficult than it already is, and if Linna is willing to help me with the images, then I would be very interested in  offering up a character and working out what needs to be done to make the character work in the setting. What concerned me most was the text in the brief from the Russian station, that was offered in an image. But, if Linna is willing to help me with that, between the OOC and IC info dumps, I don't foresee anything that I can't deal with. The only concern is that something vital in an image may be missed as seeming of minor importance, but we can certainly deal with it as it comes.

I would likely play an archeologist, perhaps from Oxford working in South-western France with a special empasis on the middle ages. Just to have something interesting to play with. I'll have to come up with a character sheet sometime this afternoon; my morning is going to be fairly full.

Thank both of you for your understanding.

If there's anything Need-to-Know in a picture, I'll absolutely let you know.

Question: Can your screen reader detect text that's on a picture?  I.e. A picture of a sign.

Also, I look forward to seeing your character.  Archaeological knowledge will be pivotal in this endeavor.

GloomCookie

No worries!  I'm happy to help, and as soon as you have a description of the character, I'll find you a nice handsome picture to go with it.  Promise.

Picture of Brief 6: Soyuz TMA-12M Touchdown

Picture shows a large ice field in the early evening, just beyond twilight, with two groups of vehicles.  The first set of vehicles is parked behind the first set, and four have their headlights on, facing the second group, with most of this first group made up of sedans and other cars..  The second group is mostly larger vehicles, mostly SUVs and heavy trucks, and all have their headlights on.  They are pointed towards what appears to be a flare, or large fire, with several figures (approximately 30) standing nearby around a pod.  Stretched out away from the pod is a large parachute with white and red striping.  The pod itself appears to have touched down and then slid approximately 50 to 70 meters through the snow and ice, given the gash in the snow.  Where the pod first landed is a large black stain, possibly where the rockets were aimed.  There are numerous people all around the pod, with more joining from the other vehicles.

Pictures from Brief 5: Chelyabinsk Airburst Damage Assessment, Meteorite Recovery, and Characterization

Page 9, Figure 1
This picture is a set of pictures corresponding to the information presented at right.  Picture A shows a very bright flash, and the subsequent pictures show a fireball as it flies through the air, labelled by time and distance traveled.  The burst was enough to engage the camera's filtering automatically in the early pictures, but then changes to show a sky in the early morning or late evening.  The two pictures below that detail the thermal signatures of the meteoroid before it hits the ground.

Page 9, Figure 2
A chart detailing the V magnitude of the meteoroid fragments.  The graph begins at approximately -12V Magnitude and approximately 95km, rising steadily until approximately -22V Magnitude and 55km, where it rises steadily until it peaks at around -28V Magnitude and 45km, when the meteroid appears to begin losing mass.  It forms a bell curve around this point for another 5km, where at around 30km it drops nearly vertical until around -20V magnitude, corresponding with a significant loss of mass.  The mass drop isn't as abrupt beyond this point, though there is some remaining, and the chart continues to drop further, though the angle is still quite steep, until the chart ends at around 10km and -10V magnitude.

Page 10, Figure 3
This figure details the glass damage as occurred by over-pressure from the explosion, forming a mushroom shape with a 'stalk' of approximately 20 km, a cap height of approximately 60km, and a width of approximately 120 to 140 km wide.  There are five layers, the biggest being the light grey and covering most of the territory, and the smallest being about half the size of the largest in a darker grey, each level becoming darker.  The fifth layer is white, and shows the center of the explosion.  Scattered throughout are dots, ranging from white to yellow to orange to red, with red the most severe.  Most circles within the darkest layer are red, while most beyond are white.  There are a few scattered dots that do not fit the pattern, but most are consistent.  Directly ahead of the cap, in the direction of travel for the meteoroid, is marked Chebarkul, showing little damage, while another within the dark cap is labeled as Chelyabinsk, showing large amounts of damage.

Page 11, Figure 4
Part A shows the main body of the meteorite, labeled as being approximately 4 centimeters across.  The rock is roughly square shaped, though the top is slightly narrower than the bottom, and the edges appear rounded.  It is grey with flecks of brown and white scattered throughout, with darker veins laced through it.
Part B shows a closeup of a vein, with two clear bands of green and a smattering of other elements between them.  The two lines seem to parallel each other, gently curving from vertical to a 45 degree angle to the right.
Part C shows several flecks of the meteorite, ranging from around one third to two thirds of a centimeter, and all are long and narrow.  They range from a dark brown to lighter yellow, and there is a cube marked as being 1cm for reference.
Part D shows the percentages of Iron to normal traces of Delta 17 Oxygen, with the samples from Chelyabinsk showing similarities to type LL olivine from the region.
Part E shows the amount of Iron and Magnesium compared to the amount of Iron and Silicon, forming an approximate line between Bulk Silicate Earth (At Fe/Mg 0.25, Fe/Si 0.25) to Bulk Earth (At Fe/Mg 2.1, Fe/Si 2.0).  The samples from Chelyabinsk lie approximately halfway (at Fe/Mg 1.25, Fe/Si 1.13), around similar samples of LL.
Part F shows the rare earth elements at the locations samples were taken, with the Chelyabinsk samples this time taking on the characteristics of the L sample in this case.  (I won't be detailing the exact figures as there are approximately 15 elements represented).

Page 16, Figure S1
The picture shows several triangles, indicating the cameras used to reconstruct the trajectory.  The dots in red indicate the actual meteor being filmed, blue the shadow only.  All details are listed in the table below the figure.

Page 17, Figure S2
A four part picture detailing how the camera images were used to reconstruct the trail of events from a camera mounted on the dashboard of a vehicle.  I won't bore you with the details but they take the curved image and impose it onto a two-dimensional image.

Pages 18 through 22, Figures S3 through S11
Similar to Figure S2, showing how the images were altered and adjusted to accurately reconstruct the path of the meteor as it passed in front of the cameras.

Page 23, Figure S12
Four images, two each for both locations, showing the footage of the explosion of the meteor and a picture of the same time on a similar day, showing the contrast between shadows at the two times and how they're used to determine the location of the explosion.

Page 32, Figure S15
Pictures of the meteor fragments as they break apart in the atmosphere below 27 kilometers.

There are over 100 pages to this thing so I think I got most of it.  It's not like we're gonna read the whole bloody thing are we?  Please tell me we don't have to, or I'll seriously break down and cry.
My DeviantArt

Question Mark

Quote from: Linna on June 23, 2014, 09:45:24 AM
No worries!  I'm happy to help, and as soon as you have a description of the character, I'll find you a nice handsome picture to go with it.  Promise.

Picture of Brief 6: Soyuz TMA-12M Touchdown

Picture shows a large ice field in the early evening, just beyond twilight, with two groups of vehicles.  The first set of vehicles is parked behind the first set, and four have their headlights on, facing the second group, with most of this first group made up of sedans and other cars..  The second group is mostly larger vehicles, mostly SUVs and heavy trucks, and all have their headlights on.  They are pointed towards what appears to be a flare, or large fire, with several figures (approximately 30) standing nearby around a pod.  Stretched out away from the pod is a large parachute with white and red striping.  The pod itself appears to have touched down and then slid approximately 50 to 70 meters through the snow and ice, given the gash in the snow.  Where the pod first landed is a large black stain, possibly where the rockets were aimed.  There are numerous people all around the pod, with more joining from the other vehicles.

Pictures from Brief 5: Chelyabinsk Airburst Damage Assessment, Meteorite Recovery, and Characterization

Page 9, Figure 1
This picture is a set of pictures corresponding to the information presented at right.  Picture A shows a very bright flash, and the subsequent pictures show a fireball as it flies through the air, labelled by time and distance traveled.  The burst was enough to engage the camera's filtering automatically in the early pictures, but then changes to show a sky in the early morning or late evening.  The two pictures below that detail the thermal signatures of the meteoroid before it hits the ground.

Page 9, Figure 2
A chart detailing the V magnitude of the meteoroid fragments.  The graph begins at approximately -12V Magnitude and approximately 95km, rising steadily until approximately -22V Magnitude and 55km, where it rises steadily until it peaks at around -28V Magnitude and 45km, when the meteroid appears to begin losing mass.  It forms a bell curve around this point for another 5km, where at around 30km it drops nearly vertical until around -20V magnitude, corresponding with a significant loss of mass.  The mass drop isn't as abrupt beyond this point, though there is some remaining, and the chart continues to drop further, though the angle is still quite steep, until the chart ends at around 10km and -10V magnitude.

Page 10, Figure 3
This figure details the glass damage as occurred by over-pressure from the explosion, forming a mushroom shape with a 'stalk' of approximately 20 km, a cap height of approximately 60km, and a width of approximately 120 to 140 km wide.  There are five layers, the biggest being the light grey and covering most of the territory, and the smallest being about half the size of the largest in a darker grey, each level becoming darker.  The fifth layer is white, and shows the center of the explosion.  Scattered throughout are dots, ranging from white to yellow to orange to red, with red the most severe.  Most circles within the darkest layer are red, while most beyond are white.  There are a few scattered dots that do not fit the pattern, but most are consistent.  Directly ahead of the cap, in the direction of travel for the meteoroid, is marked Chebarkul, showing little damage, while another within the dark cap is labeled as Chelyabinsk, showing large amounts of damage.

Page 11, Figure 4
Part A shows the main body of the meteorite, labeled as being approximately 4 centimeters across.  The rock is roughly square shaped, though the top is slightly narrower than the bottom, and the edges appear rounded.  It is grey with flecks of brown and white scattered throughout, with darker veins laced through it.
Part B shows a closeup of a vein, with two clear bands of green and a smattering of other elements between them.  The two lines seem to parallel each other, gently curving from vertical to a 45 degree angle to the right.
Part C shows several flecks of the meteorite, ranging from around one third to two thirds of a centimeter, and all are long and narrow.  They range from a dark brown to lighter yellow, and there is a cube marked as being 1cm for reference.
Part D shows the percentages of Iron to normal traces of Delta 17 Oxygen, with the samples from Chelyabinsk showing similarities to type LL olivine from the region.
Part E shows the amount of Iron and Magnesium compared to the amount of Iron and Silicon, forming an approximate line between Bulk Silicate Earth (At Fe/Mg 0.25, Fe/Si 0.25) to Bulk Earth (At Fe/Mg 2.1, Fe/Si 2.0).  The samples from Chelyabinsk lie approximately halfway (at Fe/Mg 1.25, Fe/Si 1.13), around similar samples of LL.
Part F shows the rare earth elements at the locations samples were taken, with the Chelyabinsk samples this time taking on the characteristics of the L sample in this case.  (I won't be detailing the exact figures as there are approximately 15 elements represented).

Page 16, Figure S1
The picture shows several triangles, indicating the cameras used to reconstruct the trajectory.  The dots in red indicate the actual meteor being filmed, blue the shadow only.  All details are listed in the table below the figure.

Page 17, Figure S2
A four part picture detailing how the camera images were used to reconstruct the trail of events from a camera mounted on the dashboard of a vehicle.  I won't bore you with the details but they take the curved image and impose it onto a two-dimensional image.

Pages 18 through 22, Figures S3 through S11
Similar to Figure S2, showing how the images were altered and adjusted to accurately reconstruct the path of the meteor as it passed in front of the cameras.

Page 23, Figure S12
Four images, two each for both locations, showing the footage of the explosion of the meteor and a picture of the same time on a similar day, showing the contrast between shadows at the two times and how they're used to determine the location of the explosion.

Page 32, Figure S15
Pictures of the meteor fragments as they break apart in the atmosphere below 27 kilometers.

There are over 100 pages to this thing so I think I got most of it.  It's not like we're gonna read the whole bloody thing are we?  Please tell me we don't have to, or I'll seriously break down and cry.

Linna, the game hasn't even started and I think you've already won MVP.

I skimmed the article, so you certainly don't have to read the whole thing.  Some items in the Brief will be similar.  I don't expect you to pick it apart, just pay attention and note the most salient information.

In other words, what you've done here far exceeded my expectations!

Blinkin

Thank you Linna, you were more than helpful in all of that, and I hope that you won't have to do that much in the foreseeable future. I will, generally, ask questions (probably in PM) about things described so that I might pick up individual details for my mental reconstruction, but you did an excellent job of it in that first effort! Far, far, far morre than I expected.

In regards to your question about text in an image. The answer is complicated, but I'll try to make it a somewhat easy answer... it depends... lol

Ok, a more serious answer. There are applications that can "read" text in an image, if the image is scanned and formatted into a limited number of file types. I could, for example, scan a photo of my telephone bill and get about 80% of it into a format that I could read. That is mainly because the image is mainly text and in a standard font that the character recognition system can "see." If I tried to scan a picture of a stop sign, it might, or might not pick up the word "Stop" depending on the quality of the image, scanner and how well it all connects. The odds are not though.

The text in the brief, for example, I could, in theory, print that image out, put into a scanner, scan it into a text format and might get some of it... but my software is so lod that it's unlikely to be readable, and a lot of effort for the results. I understand that Freedom Scientific is working on the issue, but hasn't figured it out yet. The difficulty is in clearing the clutter enough to pick out the words, and the wide range of quality of the image.

Anyway, I'll sit down this afternoon and come up with a character and description.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

Blinkin

FULL NAME: Sean Michael Gallegar
ACADEMIC DEGREES: BS in History, 1999, BS in Structural Engineering, 2000, Oxford University. MS in History, 2002, University of California-Berkley. PHD in Archeological Science, 2006, , Harvard University
CITIZENRY: [United Kingdom/Ireland, H1B Work Visa in United States
SEX: Male
DATE of BIRTH: 3/31/77
PLACE of BIRTH: County Sligo, Ireland
CURRENT ADDRESS: Harvard University,
NEXT of KIN: Darci Gallegar O’niell (Sister)

APPEARANCE: SSean is fairly typical of a field professor that may be found anywhere in the world. Well tanned features under a thick mass of midnight colored hair that’s in need of a trim over deep green eyes and a slightly crooked nose. Broad shoulders support arms that are well developed, but more from hard work than any effort and a waist that has started to show just a hint of the years in a classroom or office. All in all, a rugedely good looking man with an irish lilt
ETHNICITY: Caucasion
HEIGHT:5’11
WEIGHT:188
SKIN COLOR: Tanned
EYE COLOR: Deep moss green
HAIR COLOR/STYLE: Midnight, in need of a trim. Thick and slightly wavy
TATTOOS: None
BIRTHMARKS or SCARS: A 4-pointed star shaped birthmark on his right shoulder (back), faded scar on his left forearm and an appendix scar on his abdomine.
OTHER NOTABLE MARKS or PHYSICAL TRAITS:  None

BIOGRAPHY:  Born in County Sligo in Ireland, Sean had a fairly typical childhood with the normal benchmarks. A curious and intelligent child, he developed a love of history early in his teens after falling down a previously unknown passage in one of the many ruins that litter the Irish countryside. As well as the passage, he stumbled upon a skeleton in the remains of armor that were later dated to the mid 13th century. After this fasenating discovery, his path was set.

Sean obtained a scholarship to Oxford University after doing a paper  on the reign of Queen Bess that got published in a local magazine and spent the next 5 years working on a double major of history and structural engineering with an emphasis on historical building techniques. After graduating in 1999, Sean wanted to broaden his horizons and applied for and was accepted to UCLA-Berkley for his masters in History with a minor in Archeology. Although he didn’t graduate with the archeology degree, he had spent 3 seasons on a dig in Scottland and fell in love with the search for answers in what was left behind. When he had his MA in History, he moved to Boston to complete his doctorate in Archeological Science; spending 3 more seasons on 2 sites in Central America and one at an 19th century shipwreck site in the Antartic.

For the last 5 years, Sean has devided his time between teaching at Harvard University, guest lecturer jaunts to England and seasonal digs in the Donogne Valley in South-Western France; escavating the ruins of the Monastary of St. Mar.

CURRENT OCCUPATION: Associate Professor, Harvard University

PERSONALITY: Outgoing and energetic, he has a passion for his field of study and teaching. Curious to a fault, he hates to leave a mystery unsolved and has  a hard work ethic that is sometimes at odds with his humor and willingness to live life to it’s fullest when the job’s done for the day. Gargarous and witty, he sometimes seems more like an overgrown teenager than a man approaching 40.
PHOBIAS: Snakes and flying. He’ll fly if he has too, but he won’t come within 10 feet of a reptile.
HOBBIES: Reading, hiking, camping, travel and skiing. Anything outdoors or intellectually stimulating.
RELIGIOUS BELIEFS:  None of particular mention.
CRIMES: [Note: Assault and battery,  (Sealed juvenile file), trespass and moving volations.
ADDICTIONS: Caffiene.

CURRENT PHYSICAL ILLNESSES: High Blood Pressure
CURRENT MENTAL, NEUROLOGICAL, or PSYCHOLOGICAL ILLNESSES: None
CURRENT MEDICATIONS: Plendyl (Blood Pressure) 5 mg
VACCINATIONS: All normal and expected on record.

PHYSICAL FITNESS REPORT: Aside from mild hyper-tension and about 15 pounds over ideal weight, subject is in excellent condition.
OFFICIAL PSYCHOLOGICAL EXAM: Subject shows no abnormal psychological conditions, although examiners note an intense need to solve mysteries and has a curiosity quatent that is on the higher end of the scale.
ADDITIONAL NOTES:

OFFICIAL OBSERVATIONS: RESERVED: DO NOT WRITE HERE

SURVEY -- PLEASE COMPLETE TO THE BEST OF YOUR ABILITIES.

In your own words, describe why you conduct the research you do: I have a curiosity that is constantly pushing me to learn about our past and answer ages old questions that can only be filled by examining what our forefathers have left behind for us to find. I love the feel of discovering something new or placing another piece into the puzzle of humanity’s past and potential.

Do you own a personal telescope: yes
... If Yes, Describe what you use it for: To look across the campus at the girls dormitories. I’ll deny this, of course if brought up.

Have you ever been to Antarctica before: Yes.
... If Yes, Have you ever been to Vostok Station before: No.
... If Yes, What was the date, length, and purpose of your visit:

HAVE YOU EVER LOOKED TO THE CRUEL STARS AND DEMANDED THEIR BIRTHRIGHT: No. I have stared at the ground and demanded it’s answers however.

Have you ever been diagnosed with any form of cancer, elephantitis, chronic lymphedema, or a tropical parasite: No.
... If Yes, Elaborate:
... If Yes, Are you sexually active:

Are you trained in the operation of military assault rifles, pistols, hunting rifles, or any other firearm: Handguns and hunting rifles as well as shotguns. No military training, however.
... If Yes, Elaborate:

List any medical certifications and/or licenses you currently possess: CPR, First Aid.

Are you certified to pilot a C-130 Hercules aeroplane: No.

My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

GloomCookie

I would like to point out that while Dr. Gallegar can certainly have dual citizenship in the United Kingdom and Ireland (It's simply Ireland, not the Republic of Ireland, according to CGP Grey), he would need a work visa or something equivalent to work in the United States.  While I do not doubt he could easily obtain such (being that he possesses a PhD, which would certainly make him qualified), it might be worth mentioning.  Not trying to bust your bubble, Blinkin, just going off what I know from experience.  One question I'm constantly asked when job hunting is if I need sponsorship.

I just double checked and Dr. Gallegar would need an H1B Work Visa, which is "For individuals having the equivalent of a US bachelor degree (foreign degrees and/or work experience may be found to be equivalent to a US bachelor degree)".  Such a visa is valid for up to six years.  Should he wish to stay in the United States permanently, he would apply as a First Preference Priority Worker, mostly because of his outstanding research.  That would be a permanent immigration to the United States.
My DeviantArt

Question Mark

Excellent profile Blinkin.  I like the sound of Dr. Gallegar.  Also, nice input Linna.  I have it on good authority that Dr. Gallegar would have no trouble obtaining a work visa.

Also, a couple of unrelated notes while I'm online:

-- I've received several PMs from interested folks.  I just want to reiterate that this game is limited to three (3) verified Dossiers.  If I receive more than three Dossiers, I will have to select the three I believe will fit best with the game.  This is not first come first serve; the Dossiers will be judged solely on their quality.  The final roster will be published once we reach the deadline.  At this point pending Dossiers will go on standby, although they may be reconsidered for verification if previously verified Dossiers withdraw from the game.

-- We are just over a week away from deadline.  Time is running short.  When you are contacted for rendezvous, ensure that you cooperate fully and completely.  Delays will not be tolerated, but compliance will be rewarded.

-- While approval of Brief documents by [REDACTED] takes some time, recent events have allowed for an expedited process.  Please check the Brief at least once a day in order to ensure that you have viewed all salient materials.  Note that verified Dossiers will be able to submit documents to the Brief once wE SEAL AWAY THE AUGURS WITHIN THE TE

ERROR: foreign entity detected
system: ARCTICA
source: VOK
subject: DO NOT INTERACT WITH CONTENTS -- ERR292: invalid source -- DO NOT INTERACT WITH CONTENTS
server id: IAMTHESEEKERINTHEDARKIAMTHESEEKERINTHEDARKIAMTH // character limit reached //
ALERT: overflow detected

/// cyberwarfare suite engaged ///
/// processing... ///
/// procESEEessing... ///
/// system shutdown ///
/// you will nKERINow be removed from theTHEDARKIAM server ///

Blinkin

Thank you Linna for the corrections, I forgot about the visa (As I never needed one and never actually thought about it) and note on citizenship. I'll make the changes to the file, although I don't think that he'll change citizenship; the amount of work and effort to become a US citizen would impact his field work, as I understand the process, for months.

I haven't looked it up, again, it didn't occur to me, but I had a friend who relocated to New York from Holland and applied for citizenship. She was told that she couldn't leave the US until the process was complete and it took her nearly a year to get through all of it. So, he'll maintain his UK citizenship and just update his passport and work visas as needed... speaking of which, my own passport is about to expire and I need to et someone to ake me down and file paperwork for that. I've used it twice in 10 years, but it's nice to have anyway after going through all of the crap to get it.

Questionmark, Thanks for the reminder on the vetting process and deadline. I can only hope that I get in, but we'll wait and see. I did think about sending it in via PM, but as Linna is helping me, I wanted to let her see what I was offering... I hate trying to send a PM to multiple people.... so, here he is.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

GloomCookie

Blinkin, I'll try and have a character picture up for you in a couple of hours. I'm watching the store till my grandmother gets here, then I'll be free.  I have a few in mind already, so I'll read your dossier again and make sure I get the closest possible match.
My DeviantArt

Blinkin

Thanks Linna, if you get reasonably close, I'll change the description to more closely fit the picture. Eye color and skin tones are easy to change. ;)
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

GloomCookie

Ok here's what I have for you.  Two options, I'll let you pick the one you want.

Option 1 is a man who appears to be in his early to mid forties with a rather thick beard and mustache, his hair is for the most part neat but probably wouldn't hurt to comb, and he has thick glasses on.  He is smiling and looking to the left.  He is wearing a polo shirt with the top button undone.

Option 2 is a younger version, possibly of the professor when he was in his early thirties.  He is wearing a dark hat with a brim that sticks out approximately 2.5 inches.  He has on glasses with round lenses, and again he has the beard and mustache.  He is wearing a nice suit, with a jacket, vest, button-down shirt and tie.  The tie is a light colored checker pattern, and the suit and vest are a blue cross-thatch pattern (over under over under).  The man has in front of him a leather case, held in his right hand, possibly a tool kit?  His left hand is at his side.  He is standing in front of a brick building, possibly on location of a dig somewhere.  The overall feel is that of someone from the early 80s or possibly even late 70s, which I know is a bit early for the period but that's the general impression I get.

My DeviantArt

Blinkin

Thanks for the images. I was imagining no facial hair, or at most, a muchedash and no glasses though. As I didn't list any physical conditions, corrective lenses would be hard to explain.
My Ons' & offs'
Yes, I really am blind.

GloomCookie

Oh god I'm sorry.  For some reason I thought he had facial hair!  I'll find different ones then.
My DeviantArt

Question Mark

Those are both excellent pictures; I'm adding them to my concept art folder.

Blinkin: I've been slow in reaching out to you, but that should change soon.  Keep an eye on your inbox over the next 48 hours.